Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

Can't afford to pay grindr $500/month? Have your friends pitch you with a powerpoint deck!

podcaster/comediennes must be stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was incited to re-read Steve Keen's "Debunking Economics", so this thread gets to benefit

I think that's long (and absurd) enough for one post, but I shall continue on if there is interest.

one remark I will add is that since "utils" never hit zero nor negative, then this "rational actor" will always purchase more and more goods, as long as their income allows them to. It's never considered that people would ever want to stop consuming. The entire theory rests on Number Go Up.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1752476384167944510?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

poemdexter posted:

This unironically would be cool as poo poo to go to even just to spectate. Watching people getting on stage hyping up their friends is a lot more wholesome than a ton of other lovely things you could be watching.

yeah i go to a comedy club once a month for a dating show and it's a blast

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Every red blooded American will be able to handle 30-50 of them.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Thoguh posted:

Every red blooded American will be able to handle 30-50 of them.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
mc rib is BACK BABY!

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

...new lean pork product soon?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Pulcinella posted:

I do wonder at what point do the different parts of capital start trying to parasitize eachother. I'm sure insurance companies, hospital admins, and the AMA would hate it, but at what point does e.g.Walmart and Disney sit down with McConnel and say that if they want to extract more surplus value out of labor then healthcare costs need to fall. With the end result being we get a lovely form of universal healthcare. Same thing with housing and rent.

the c-suite of the latter also sit on the c-suite of the former or are friends who sit on the c-suite of the FIRE sector

maybe if natural death takes enough of the current generation and its heirs maybe there'll be a shift but it'll be because the empire is shrunk to morgenthau europe and canada at that point

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

eh that’s just a journalist finding out about the RCMP for the first time

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
tw: pittsburgh

quote:

CEOs Are Using Return To Office Mandates To Mask Poor Management

At the onset of the pandemic, we found ourselves at a pivotal crossroads that compelled us to reimagine how we work. This shift was as profound as it was inevitable, marking our turn towards a new direction in reshaping the essence of our ways of working. Work from home has now stabilized at ~30% in the U.S. as of December 2023, which is almost four times pre-pandemic levels, according to a recent paper from the American Economic Association.

According to a recent research paper published by University of Pittsburgh, compelling evidence suggests that organizations are leveraging Return-To-Office mandates not to enhance firm value, but rather to reassert control and shift blame for poor performance onto employees. Contrary to the belief that RTO boosts company value, the analysis revealed that RTO mandates are more likely in firms with poor recent stock performance and have had no significant impacts on firm profitability or stock-returns. Moreover, a notable drop in employee job satisfaction was observed, further questioning the efficacy of these mandates.

Offices across the U.S. are at an all-time occupancy low, and commercial real estate is starting to see an all-time high of almost 20% of unleased space, according to the Wall Street Journal. The reduction in real estate spend has enabled companies to reduce their operating expenses, thereby positively impacting their financial health. This poses the question: Are return-to-work mandates better for the workforce or for business bottom lines?

Connecting To All Stakeholders

A considerable number of companies continue to grapple with the right model that aligns with the preferences and philosophies of all stakeholders involved - customers, employees, boards, leadership teams, and shareholders. Many companies, albeit reluctantly, were forced to embrace a remote work model during the pandemic, discovering the potential for enhancing productivity while reducing costs for long-term business growth in a virtual environmen
Last week at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, the CEO of L’Oreal insisted that he was certain that remote workers in their organization lacked attachment, passion, and creativity. He went on to explain that remote work was bad for the mental health of employees, according to Business Insider.
judging by the increased traffic over pre-pandemic i find that hard to believe

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Seeing others get bullied and attacked on the freeway on the way to work and wondering when I'll be next is great for my mental health.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Asproigerosis posted:

Explain to me like I'm a democrat why there are record stock market gains but everyone is doing mass layoffs.

Number is an old god. It's thirst is only slaked with BLOOD

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

Number is an old god. It's thirst is only slaked with BLOOD

correct, most to-the-point post in this thread.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

lol if true

corporations ftw

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

lol if true

corporations ftw

To be fair it took this guy a week before he bared his deepest thoughts. cuck poo poo

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

can we train them to kill & eat those canadian geese assholes?

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
vibecession recession

https://twitter.com/steverattner/status/1752301847358984427

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

it is wild just how closely the dem/rep/ind all track each other

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Willa Rogers posted:

can we train them to kill & eat those canadian geese assholes?

No, the geese are my friends :colbert:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was incited to re-read Steve Keen's "Debunking Economics", so this thread gets to benefit

I think that's long (and absurd) enough for one post, but I shall continue on if there is interest.

one remark I will add is that since "utils" never hit zero nor negative, then this "rational actor" will always purchase more and more goods, as long as their income allows them to. It's never considered that people would ever want to stop consuming. The entire theory rests on Number Go Up.

i think youve convinced me to read this book. ive always wondered what units "utility" is measured in

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

Number Go Up.

I remember in my microeconomics 101 class, like day one, the dude got up there and asked, "What is the equation of happiness?" He drew # of wants fulfilled divided by # of wants.

He then said something like, "no matter how many wants are fulfilled, you will be unhappy, but this drives everything"

in hindsight, dude was pretty strait with it

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, please do continue, if you're up for it. This is good poo poo.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Xaris posted:

lol if true

corporations ftw

That's what happens when you're on "Undercover Boss", OP.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

No, the geese are my friends :colbert:

:haibrow:

Apr 7, 2003

no lube so what posted:

I remember in my microeconomics 101 class, like day one, the dude got up there and asked, "What is the equation of happiness?" He drew # of wants fulfilled divided by # of wants.

He then said something like, "no matter how many wants are fulfilled, you will be unhappy, but this drives everything"

in hindsight, dude was pretty strait with it

He was wrong, mostly

as long as most people have their needs for food and housing fulfilled they will find other needs to chase but those other needs aren't as important as food and housing

I can chase my desire to fulfill my need for lovely Japanese cartoons for the rest of my life and still be happy on some level as long as my needs for food and housing are fulfilled

We're doing a great job at fulfilling the need for lovely Japanese cartoons. The food and housing needs, not so much

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

He was wrong, mostly

as long as most people have their needs for food and housing fulfilled they will find other needs to chase but those other needs aren't as important as food and housing

I can chase my desire to fulfill my need for lovely Japanese cartoons for the rest of my life and still be happy on some level as long as my needs for food and housing are fulfilled

We're doing a great job at fulfilling the need for lovely Japanese cartoons. The food and housing needs, not so much

it's all "utils" and those are exchangable for each other, op

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol this exactly mirrors the stock market, it's been on a nonstop upwards swing since halloween

the 2nd greatest increase in "consumer sentiment" is the middle of 2023, when stonks went on a like +15% AI-fueled tear from may through the end of july

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

He was wrong, mostly

[head gestures towards jevons paradox]

Apr 7, 2003

fart simpson posted:

it's all "utils" and those are exchangable for each other, op

I can't eat anime

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

but with enough anime, the total utility you receive might end up the same as you would get from a small amount of bad tasting poverty food. so it all works out

Apr 7, 2003

no lube so what posted:

[head gestures towards jevons paradox]

It's cool that I never learned about this in high school or college

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Dems during Bidens term are 20+ points behind Republicans during Trump's term 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

btw, this is the very first insight that page 1 of volume 1 of karl marx's capital starts off with. something which modern mainstream economics doesnt seem to get afaict

Apr 7, 2003

fart simpson posted:

btw, this is the very first insight that page 1 of volume 1 of karl marx's capital starts off with. something which modern mainstream economics doesnt seem to get afaict

It's been pointed out within the past day in this thread that modern American economics is not allowed to consider material conditions because it always, without exception, evolves into u no what

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

not with that attitude.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's been pointed out within the past day in this thread that modern American economics is not allowed to consider material conditions because it always, without exception, evolves into u no what

love dairy queen

Apr 7, 2003

i say swears online posted:

love dairy queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bHV-IcRLjQ

Hope you enjoy this commercial because this is the closest to labor identity we're ever going to get

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

page 1 of capital uses "iron" and "corn" instead of "anime" and "food" but its basically starting off saying what you said. he would say something like, you can spend $10 on a manga or $10 on a mcdonalds hamburger, so in some way the hambuger and the manga are equivalent. people are obviously comparing the two so they must have some measurable quality in common with each other, but you cant eat the manga. what gives? the thing they have in common obviously can't be anything physical contained inside them, and it can't be how much you like them because that's unquantifiable and subjective. but here's something they both have: human labor went into making both of them, and you can count the number of hours that went into producing each.

and then the rest of the book kinda expands from that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

fart simpson posted:

page 1 of capital uses "iron" and "corn" instead of "anime" and "food" but its basically starting off saying what you said. he would say something like, you can spend $10 on a manga or $10 on a mcdonalds hamburger, so in some way the hambuger and the manga are equivalent. people are obviously comparing the two so they must have some measurable quality in common with each other, but you cant eat the manga. what gives? the thing they have in common obviously can't be anything physical contained inside them, and it can't be how much you like them because that's unquantifiable and subjective. but here's something they both have: human labor went into making both of them, and you can count the number of hours that went into producing each.

and then the rest of the book kinda expands from that point

Now do rent

e: I agree with you entirely