Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Celexi posted:

bloomberg doesn't own the app that most americans have installed

Neither does Elon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Celexi posted:

yeah he owns these things called newspapers and cable channels which are sort of like apps for people who actually turn out to vote

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

MrQwerty posted:

drat it was, maybe I'm the John Titor :(

Nah! The poo poo he described was libertarian fanfic-level poo poo!

I thought the story was remotely plausible until he got to the “everyone just pulls their own weight”… @5 seconds in.

And *I* was a dipshit back then (also now)!

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Apollodorus posted:

As someone with a PhD in Latin I can verify that “De Santis” is from “Dē Sanctīs” which is a prepositional phrase featuring a preposition that takes the ablative case. “From/of the line of holy ones”, or more idiomatically, “Saintly Family”

Genuinely cool!

What is ELECTION INTERFERENCE! in Latin?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ragnarokette posted:

yeah he owns these things called newspapers and cable channels which are sort of like apps for people who actually turn out to vote

I don't think the average american watches bloomberg tv (lol) or has a bloomberg terminal at home

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

crusty posted:

Genuinely cool!

What is ELECTION INTERFERENCE! in Latin?

SPQAnonR

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Because neither exists in a vacuum.

I think you're getting eeextreeeeemely far from your original point here and have lost the plot. Especially since you seem well aware that there are very powerful and self centered interests aggressively putting their thumbs on the scales here.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I think you're getting eeextreeeeemely far from your original point here and have lost the plot. Especially since you seem well aware that there are very powerful and self centered interests aggressively putting their thumbs on the scales here.

I guess it's a difference of opinion on people's inherent motivations? I fully agree that capital intentionally works to focus voters' prejudices in a way to undermine the things that would be good for them, but those prejudices have to be there in the first place to exploit. It's a generally hateful culture a lot of people live in that creates the openings for that sort of politics.

To bring it back to the original post, it's hard to say that Americans "deserve" better when we (as a group) are so easily exploitable around personal prejudices by said self centered interests.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 4, 2024

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

Celexi posted:

the App that gave Desantis his opening boost! and brought us Sports!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I'm pretty obtuse; I kept reading discussion here about Nicki and SNL and I thought you were talking about the actor portraying her, I didn't realize that Nikki Haley was actually on SNL!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

armchairyoda posted:

Nah! The poo poo he described was libertarian fanfic-level poo poo!

I thought the story was remotely plausible until he got to the “everyone just pulls their own weight”… @5 seconds in.

And *I* was a dipshit back then (also now)!

Maybe we're all John Titor

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

At last, a subject on which I agree with Charlie Kirk.

“Sir, there’s a huge mob of Trump supporters outside!”
“Oh poo poo, are they going to try to storm the building?”
“That’s what I thought, but they’ve all stopped and… erm… well I don’t quite know how to describe it. I think they’ve got other things on their minds right now. NO don’t look out the window!”

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Stoatbringer posted:

“Sir, there’s a huge mob of Trump supporters outside!”
“Oh poo poo, are they going to try to storm the building?”
“That’s what I thought, but they’ve all stopped and… erm… well I don’t quite know how to describe it. I think they’ve got other things on their minds right now. NO don’t look out the window!”

You can't tell me these people would still be so angry if they could go have some dude anonymously jerk them off through a hole in the wall

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
America is weird in that you can’t but your way to the presidency without the backing of one of the two party apparatus. A weird system but hey when our next fash president comes up it will be through good old party politics and not money so there is that

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

This reminds me of an unfortunately named local company

I laugh every time I see their sign

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

America is weird in that you can’t but your way to the presidency without the backing of one of the two party apparatus. A weird system but hey when our next fash president comes up it will be through good old party politics and not money so there is that

This statement might be true now because Trump is still alive. But the Republican party is so strapped for cash, that after Trump has died it will be absolutely possible to buy yourself a republican nomination: https://www.rawstory.com/horrifying-rnc-official-blasts-worst-fundraising-year-in-three-decades-2667149185/

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

That makes (at least) three times he's paste-posted this exact same thing 100% verbatim.

Someone smack the record player. It's skipping again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Onkel Hedwig posted:

This statement might be true now because Trump is still alive. But the Republican party is so strapped for cash, that after Trump has died it will be absolutely possible to buy yourself a republican nomination: https://www.rawstory.com/horrifying-rnc-official-blasts-worst-fundraising-year-in-three-decades-2667149185/

It’s not a money thing it’s that the system is set up for two parties so generally all politics flows through and is shaped by those parties

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s not a money thing it’s that the system is set up for two parties so generally all politics flows through and is shaped by those parties

FPTP is a helluva thing.

There are some cracks in it forming here and there on a state level but I expect FPTP to still be the dominating factor in US politics at least until I get senile and/or die.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

CannonFodder posted:

Wow, that's great Nojo Mixon. Do you have any songs about the deaths of workers because of capitalism flipping the bird to regulation and worker safety?

In fact: https://youtu.be/k1Csif5l_6c?si=66ynwkz8reH8jadJ

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

One good development: People are more and more aware of the differences between the popular vote result and 18 century arcane voting system result.

I am not sure, but has the popular vote always been reported in election results? For some reason I think that this is just a recent think.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

emSparkly posted:

On camera no less.

If Hillary had just turned around and asked "What are you doing??? Stop being weird!" she would have won the election.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Apollodorus posted:

As someone with a PhD in Latin I can verify that “De Santis” is from “Dē Sanctīs” which is a prepositional phrase featuring a preposition that takes the ablative case. “From/of the line of holy ones”, or more idiomatically, “Saintly Family”

Nerd

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sunday Morning posted:

If Hillary had just turned around and asked "What are you doing??? Stop being weird!" she would have won the election.

That would have been extremely rude though

e oh hello Sunday Morning, you're ok so far, thank you for being gentle

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 4, 2024

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Inspector Hound posted:

That would have been extremely rude though

can't break decorum or it might look bad and lose election!!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Apollodorus posted:

Grey Cat posted:

De Sancteez nuts.
I love these forums :allears:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Celexi posted:

can't break decorum or it might look bad and lose election!!

yeah, breaking decorum is fatal apparently when you don't have that R next to your name

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

MrQwerty posted:

Maybe we're all John Titor

Maybe the real John Titor is the friends we made along the way.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Batterypowered7 posted:

Maybe the real John Titor is the friends we made along the way.

Libertarians have no friends.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Tucker is in Moscow and Marge wants you to know how owned you are.

https://x.com/RepMTG/status/1753908640489058643#m

quote:

Democrats and their propagandists in the media are spasming at the prospect of Tucker Carlson interviewing Putin.

They feel entitled to the position of gatekeeper and believe they are the ones who tell you what to think and believe.

They HATE when someone like Tucker goes “off script”.

We have a free press in this country and its people like Tucker Carlson who we depend on to speak the truth!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

Gotta say, 80's me would not ever been able to predict Republicans all snug as a bug in a rug with Russia. It's wild.

I get it, the why (money, racist fascist oligarchy), but this example of their never ending dissonance still strikes me.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
MTG is just oozing with complete and utter desperation to be viewed as important and adored by the worst people in the country.

She excitedly got in the clown car and now her entire career is punching her way into the driver's seat. She has no actual governmental use or value.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Accipiter posted:

MTG is just oozing with complete and utter desperation to be viewed as important and adored by the worst people in the country.

She excitedly got in the clown car and now her entire career is punching her way into the driver's seat. She has no actual governmental use or value.

She has value in that she disrupts and flings poo poo, which is her function.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

I feel shame when I fail to wave a friendly hello to someone on the street.

I wonder what enormously unspeakable level of fault has to befall someone as goddamn stupid as MTG before their loving damaged brain has the ability to feel any amount of shame.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

redshirt posted:

She has value in that she disrupts and flings poo poo, which is her function.

Yes, hence "no actual governmental use or value."

She's nothing more than a troll.

In every sense of the word.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sunday Morning posted:

Equally, she lost because she's the sort of person who would never do that

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Accipiter posted:

Yes, hence "no actual governmental use or value."

She's nothing more than a troll.

In every sense of the word.

Value from the Republican perspective of course, not actual, real value.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I sure do hate when someone like Tucker goes independent and gets 2000 viewers a week instead of millions

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

redshirt posted:

Gotta say, 80's me would not ever been able to predict Republicans all snug as a bug in a rug with Russia. It's wild.

from an 80's perspective it's truly beyond comprehension that american conservatives would 180 on russia in order to support donald trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

from an 80's perspective it's truly beyond comprehension that american conservatives would 180 on russia in order to support donald trump

The Cold War was 40 plus years of hard core propaganda against the USSR which felt baked into the very core of the country. And then, poof!