Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

coders aren''t engineers

Are you an engineer flowchart. Do you drive a locamotive? Y/N

Yes: you are an engineer
No: you are something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

coders aren''t engineers

I am though, it says so right here on the HR website

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

yeah it never left, but its gonna see way more in investment the next few years. especially w apple making it ok for rich idiots to do vr

the person who tired to hire me to snap (nontechnical role) is looking for employment, dodged that bullet

honestly the app should just lean into its illicit nature

No it shouldn't.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I guess I’m cool with crane operators being engineers too, if everyone else is. But other than that

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Only real engineers are siege engineers

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

AvesPKS posted:

Only real engineers are siege engineers

so what the guy in a ship's engine room is a Sparkling Grenadier?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

silentsnack posted:

Marine Ingenue

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

silentsnack posted:

Not if it's a battleship that can be used to siege

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Beached Whale posted:

I decided to see if there were any "day in the life" videos that were all over tiktok a year or two ago and lmao

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/593587863199809568/1204107262218731590/Snaptik.app_7117442102958607659.mp4

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

silentsnack posted:

depends on if he has a hard hat and can capture enemy buildings by entering them

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

lol

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

coders aren''t engineers

just wait until they find out about software "architects"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Beached Whale posted:

i like when they say "architecting" some software thing

lol

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Beached Whale posted:

one of my neighbors is an actual architect and is constantly seething about this

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Schmeichy posted:

Does anyone? I thought he was famous for hosting videos of people beating the poo poo out of eachother

Portnoy gets similar treatment to anyone else wealthy. People act like they are authorities on things and go to them for advice. So even though Portnoy is indistinguishable from 2,000,000 other men in Boston the fact he was in the right place at the right time to get rich he has become an authority.

Same way Cathie Woods, Elon Musk or any random idiot that got rich on crypto or AirBNB sells their time to give speeches about drive and working 32 days a week or whatever else.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mad Wack posted:

one of my neighbors is an actual architect and is constantly seething about this

Lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’m a software physician

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Arborists used to be called tree surgeons

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Data scientist, total bullshit job

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ferdinand Bardamu posted:

they're that kind of scientist that uses data, makes sense to me

Duff McWhalen
Jan 6, 2005

Item Obtained: Goo Shaver

Car Hater posted:

Sometimes I fantasize about what would happen here in the US if Xi decided to just take Taiwan overnight and sank a few US carrier groups for good measure. Total economic meltdown, all time highs for defense contractors that can't hire enough people or source screws to hold things together. Billion dollar artillery shells. Revolution over the lack of cheap plastic toys.

I have been reading this thread for years and posted in it maybe a half dozen times. Whenever someone brings up sourcing screws to hold things together I feel it is my duty to post. My grift is specialty fastener distribution. I am good at it. The markups on screws are insanity. I actively source from Taiwan, so if/when President Xi sets his country to auto-battle my screw grifting is going to be slashed, if not eliminated. It has been a great ride.

*edited for poor spelling I am a simple screw merchant

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
my buddy's wife works for Tree Island Steel and they import all their wire from china, and do just enough finishing to be allowed to say Made in canada

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they're that kind of scientist that uses data, makes sense to me

Data scientist is like calling someone a "number mathematician"!!!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Duff McWhalen posted:

I have been reading this thread for years and posted in it maybe a half dozen times. Whenever someone brings up sourcing screws to hold things together I feel it is my duty to post. My grift is specialty fastener distribution. I am good at it. The markups on screws are insanity. I actively source from Taiwan, so if/when President Xi sets his country to auto-battle my screw grifting is going to be slashed, if not eliminated. It has been a great ride.

Take it from the screw job guy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
what’s the going black market rate for a screwjob these days? hard to find quality anymore, they all like to rip off

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Ferdinand Bardamu posted:

data scientists are just really good (bad) posters but irl

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Im a senior sandwich engineer at subway

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Went to get stuff for dinner, a little bag of petite potatoes, a little bag of brussel sprouts, and two chicken breasts (all store brand) was sixteen loving dollars. Sick of this poo poo dude. Normal store too not whole foods or w/e

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

RealityWarCriminal posted:

my buddy's wife works for Tree Island Steel and they import all their wire from china, and do just enough finishing to be allowed to say Made in canada

last i checked china is about 38% of the worlds manufacturing by monetary value, about 55% of global steel & a little more with aluminum by weight

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Justin Tyme posted:

Went to get stuff for dinner, a little bag of petite potatoes, a little bag of brussel sprouts, and two chicken breasts (all store brand) was sixteen loving dollars. Sick of this poo poo dude. Normal store too not whole foods or w/e

whole foods probably cheaper for that stuff

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

These humblebrags are out of control

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Duff McWhalen posted:

Rutibex would be proud

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Take it from the screw job guy

fastener distribution architect

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Duff McWhalen posted:

when xi says "no sir" you're screwed lmao gottem

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Power authorities in British Columbia refuse to sell electricity to crypto dude's company who protests,

“Conifex continues to believe that the provincial government is missing out on several opportunities available to it to improve energy affordability, accelerate technological innovation, strengthen the reliability and resiliency of the power distribution grid in British Columbia, and achieve more inclusive economic growth”

Conifex would have consumed 2.5 million megawatt-hours of electricity a year. That’s enough to power and heat more than 570,000 apartments

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Time to buy the homeless what they really need, stocks

https://twitter.com/JennWrenStanley/status/1755020478765543828

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Beached Whale posted:

“despite”

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Beached Whale posted:

I keep telling them they should invest but nooo....

jesus, just buy some apple stock idiots.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

poor dad rich dad is a tome of knowledge, not a mere book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ISED, and the telecoms people in particular, are obsessed with private sector, private stakeholders, public private partnerships. They’re honestly like pick mes who love showing that they aren’t like other bureaucrats. Their office has a floor configured to look more like a private sector office to impress visitors, with like open concept and poo poo and glass walls. That was the deliberate design choice.

The weirdest working culture in the federal government I am aware of.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:48 on Feb 7, 2024