Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Gotta be real careful with tapping because Arena will not pay attention to morph costs when autotapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I pretty much manually tap for anything CMC >=3 now, since I've been burned by the autotapper too many times before

I had a real cool mirror match in Timeless, both of us primetime. I won the first game handily, but the opp pivoted HARD into stax that they aggressively mulliganed for and they won the last two games. Stone brain and Ashiok both just hosed me up, they had near perfect draws :mad:

also, Karn/liquimetal torque is loving stupid!!!

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 7, 2024

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Insurrectionist posted:

Also entitely unrelated but I can't believe they made a completely new card type and then just left it while they fart around with a this other poo poo. We hear all the time that they design sets years in advance and can shuffle things around, which makes this even more stupid. Also I feel like their pivot to more specifically-themed sets centered around specific scenarios (or IPs) is counterproductive to such a fairly specific type-name as Battle in the first place.

You can't believe that they made a new card type, and were waiting for the set to reach print and to see what the results were, at all? Despite knowing that they work years in advance?

The gap between the first printed Planeswalkers (Lorwyn) and second batch (Shards of Alara) is longer than the gap between the first printed Battles and your post. When they have a good reason to make more Battles, they'll probably do it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

You can't believe that they made a new card type, and were waiting for the set to reach print and to see what the results were, at all? Despite knowing that they work years in advance?

The gap between the first printed Planeswalkers (Lorwyn) and second batch (Shards of Alara) is longer than the gap between the first printed Battles and your post. When they have a good reason to make more Battles, they'll probably do it.

Like I said they have also been open about shuffle mechanics and even sets around. And it's not like they turned out particularly badly and needed significant reworking from what I can tell, though I don't play constructed.

I remember Battles were pretty hyped at the time but for me at least I barely remember they exist these days. Coming from other games that feels very strange for such a core mechanic as a new type, especially with all the cards they push out nowadays.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Also merry "lightning helix can be crafted for uncommon wildcards" to every one who celebrates amen

:emptyquote:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Insurrectionist posted:

Like I said they have also been open about shuffle mechanics and even sets around. And it's not like they turned out particularly badly and needed significant reworking from what I can tell, though I don't play constructed.

I remember Battles were pretty hyped at the time but for me at least I barely remember they exist these days. Coming from other games that feels very strange for such a core mechanic as a new type, especially with all the cards they push out nowadays.

The gap between Tribal cards after Eventide and Rise of Eldrazi was two years (then they got rid of it because nobody liked it enough). Just calm down lol

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I’m pretty happy with where battles landed since March of the Machine was one of the all time greats and they didn’t mess up the balance of the set with a new card type.

We’ll see them again and they will have learned what was a success and what was a failure.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
First draft from yesterday went 1/3. Second one actually has useful rares and is generally better so I'm much more hopeful, 1/0 so far. https://www.17lands.com/deck/bd4817c5649c4119b803f0d8eeaeaf44/0

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

via The List?

Special Guests, which I guess were a thing in Set and Collector Boosters in LCI but are now in packs on Arena because they smushed Draft and Set Boosters together in paper? I don't quite understand it either, but if I can craft Fields for Titan using mythics instead of rares then I won't complain.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Also merry "lightning helix can be crafted for uncommon wildcards" to every one who celebrates amen

Hell yeah bud

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

lol, lmao

apparently if your opponent controls your lamplight phoenix they're the onne that makes the death decision.

A fact i did not realise until after i let their steal enchantment resolve.

And it also works just forever once it's back on their board.

Sigh.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just lost a draft match to Jace's they drew out their deck ability.

But also I really really wanted a 6th land and got down to 14 cards in my library without findin' it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thespaceinvader posted:

apparently if your opponent controls your lamplight phoenix they're the onne that makes the death decision.

Death triggers are controlled by the controller in general. Would you expect to be able to ping someone if they steal your Blood Artist and it dies?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Death triggers are controlled by the controller in general. Would you expect to be able to ping someone if they steal your Blood Artist and it dies?

It makes sense on reflection, but most abilities like this resolve once the creature is in the graveyard which makes the decisions happen under the owner's control.

This resolving on the stack rather than from the yard is counter to the normal templating of such abilities in a highly counterintuitive way. And it cost me the draft on a 2/3 when i could have killed the Phoenix before the Coerced resolved, which is doubly annoying.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Dang this is a very feel bad format to go second in. Lost multiple games so far from falling behind too far when my opponent gets to flip their morph creature first / having open mana to kill mine.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, Disguised creatures also feel absolutely lovely on the draw, too - because not only do they get to flip theirs first, but you're casting under-statted 3 drops that trade badly.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Aurelia is a nice bomb, and so is Ezrim Agency Chief. Wish I had read all of his text before trying to Murder him. Whoops!

1-3 in Sealed trying to jam a goofball Esper deck. I had a lot of interesting cards and combos but generally not enough removal and got run over. My one victory was from going Officious Interrogation -> Persuasive Negotiators and giving the opponent 10 poison counters.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thespaceinvader posted:

It makes sense on reflection, but most abilities like this resolve once the creature is in the graveyard which makes the decisions happen under the owner's control.

You need the most anti-theft phoenix, https://scryfall.com/card/plc/117/molten-firebird

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

reignonyourparade posted:

They're not exactly super synergistic but uh, SAH also works with copies of SAH in exile, those two packets work together fine?

Slimes aren’t creatures though, which means half the synergistic targets are gone in graveyard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i like it so far. i'm not doing fantastic, but most of my losses feel like they were down to one or two crucial decisions during a complex board state. that and deckbuilding mistakes that are clear in hindsight. i've had plenty of drawn out games, which i like.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lol at skipping potentially every turn for the small benefit of a respawning flying 2/2 that doesn't even have haste.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

Lol at skipping potentially every turn for the small benefit of a respawning flying 2/2 that doesn't even have haste.

Yeah but you could keep gifting it to your opponent with Donate / Harmless Offering then killing it with Grim Lavamancer and then the opponent wouldn't get to draw.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Khanstant posted:

The funny thing about that is that a white version of that card (Ivory Gargoyle) was a big player in ice age block constructed because it persisted through a Jokulhaups, but you ran the risk of getting Stormbind locked out of the game.

But you'd think, haha what are the odds of that happening? Especially in a game of any import??

Well,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aKNP0qiPrg&t=2040s

(timestamp about 34 minutes in)

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 8, 2024

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

gen z n00b spotted

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's true, no opponent has ever given me a creature of any kind, even as a dastardly trick, so it never even crossed my mind as a use case.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gonna start trying out running 18 lands -- the increased amount of Ward in this has led to multiple games being locked out from getting stuck on having *5* lands out and not getting the sixth. Or, worse yet getting stuck on 4 with multiple kill spells in hand that just can't land.

edit: ok immediately flooding. Test possibly failing.

This game sucked, lands six straight turns in a row when almost any other card in my deck would have won it. So much removal, so many lands.

Back to 17 it is~

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 7, 2024

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Okay, so I noodled around a bit with Detective Tribal, and I've got a few preliminary findings:

-Forensic Gadgeteer is largely unnecessary, because your creatures are gonna crack your Clues themselves most of the time, as least with the setup I used.

-Sharp-Eyed Rookie is a solid early-game option, but once you have Case of the Pilfered Proof online, the +1/+1 counters they get prevent their ability from activating. Great card for any variant of the deck that includes green, but you want to play them as early as possible.

-The "good" version of Detective Tribal is probably somewhere around Jeskai, because Reckless Detective+Meddling Youths+Case of the Pilfered Proof gives you card draw while generating excess tokens you can use elsewhere, and Private Eye lets you make one (or more, if you get multiple into play) of your attackers unblockable, to keep the engine safe. Plus, you'll have Ezrim and Alquist Proft to use up all those extra Clues you'll be generating, and Agrus Kos can help eliminate threats safely.

-There might also be a good deck in Bant, combining Collect Evidence effects, Chalk Outline, and Case of the Pilfered Proof to generate Clues off of the Detective Tokens you get from Chalk Outline. Kellan provides the free draws rather than Reckless Detective, but can also eliminate problematic artifacts on your opponent's side as a bonus. On the other hand, Investigating is harder due to the lack of Meddling Youths.

-If there's some means to tap an arbitrary number of your own permanents at will, there might be an interesting Millennium Calendar deck to be made with the Meddling Youths+Pilfered Proof engine. Actually, Invasion of Kaladesh/Cephalopod Sentry might be an interesting tech option, possibly opening up some sort of OTK strategy. And dear god, Thousand Moons Smithy scales into the goddamn stratosphere and sets off Pilfered Proof (in fact, being a mono-white card, Thousand Moons Smithy might actually just be an auto-include for Detective Tribal due to all the Clues you can make). Plenty of fuel for Food Fight, too, but that one's capped by how much mana you can spend.

-Since you're running tribal, a single Cavern of Souls on the board can give you access to Lazav, who can do a lot of different things (if he attacks with Reckless Detective and Meddling Youths, he can exile and transform on the same attack*, and in the Bant variant, he can be used on your own graveyard to activate Chalk Outline and recycle your creatures a bit, not to mention that his Investigate condition is trivial, giving the Bant variant better Clue-generation).

*You'll want to go into the settings and disable automatic ordering of trigger resolution for that, to ensure Lazav's exile trigger resolves before RD's sac-and-draw trigger.

Here are the nonlands I'm currently running in my own, much jankier version of the deck.. Will probably add Thousand Moons Smithy going forward. Currently running a slightly thin mana base, full playsets of Seachrome, Adarkar, and Cavern of Souls, but I'll need more Rare WCs before I can smooth things out with more copies of Copperline and Razorverge (I've got three copies of one and one copy of the other; Yavimaya Coast, Battlefield Forge, and a couple copies of Plaza of Heroes are filling out the rest of my lands at present; sadly no Karplusan Forests to speak of). I'm not the best at figuring out the ideal ratios of mana colors to have in a deck, so if someone else is better at it, I'd love some advice on which pain/fast lands to focus on, and if I should swap out some Adarkars/Seachromes for them. Of course, anyone running a serious version of the deck can probably just cut Sharp-Eyed Rookie, swap the Repulsives for more NML (or swap all of them for better counterspells), dump Leyline and Kellan (possibly Lazav, as well, see above), add second copies of some of the one-ofs, do a full Jeskai manabase at closer to the usual 24 lands, and go from there. Of course, even a serious version of Detective Tribal is unlikely to top any leaderboards.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
I crashed and burned with 2 sealed events 0-3, worst start to a set I recall having lol I played badly but also it feels bomby and going second sure sucks. Oh well, they nailed it for me for many other sets in a row.

It reminds me of streets of New cappena actually, I keep trying 3 or 4 color decks and I'm either not a good enough deck builder, or player, or both lol

I'll do better when 17lands has win percentages for cards and I can see flash enchantments are 47% win rate and bombs are 71% lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
EZ trophy lol

scytale
Dec 10, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Question about Fight Rigging. With it being written counter then play card if, the whole thing stops if the counter doesn't go onto something that dies, even if you do have another 7+ power creature?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yes, if you remove the target then the whole ability fizzles. The key interaction is that it targets the creature it's putting the counter on (and nothing else), and things fizzle if they end up with no legal targets.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

are there any good cards in this set besides that uw counter everything ive seen is rear end

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I tried making some Slime Against Humanity decks in Standard and it just majorly sucks rear end against the Esper / Monored meta. At least with Rat Colony I could cast some kind of creatures can't block" or Sleep or Tetsuko on turn 5 and swing for 20. Slime is like, the enemy finds removal every single turn until I'm dead or lost the tempo race.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Zero VGS posted:

I tried making some Slime Against Humanity decks in Standard and it just majorly sucks rear end against the Esper / Monored meta. At least with Rat Colony I could cast some kind of creatures can't block" or Sleep or Tetsuko on turn 5 and swing for 20. Slime is like, the enemy finds removal every single turn until I'm dead or lost the tempo race.

Maybe use some Surveil or similar effects in the opening turns to dump copies of Slime, so that your slimes come in bigger. Won't help against hard removal, but just two copies taken out of the deck puts your slimes out of range of most soft removal, and four copies will mean even Rebel Salvo can't take them out.

By the way, something that might be relevant is that the slimes created by Slime Against Humanity all count as creatures with 2 or less power (I guess they ETB before their counters go on), so any cards that trigger off of that (of which there are quite a few in the set) get their benefit from Slimes coming into play, regardless of size. Snarling Gorehound Surveils on that trigger, which could be a way to mill more Slimes and scale faster. Just a thought.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
I guess the idea is that the slimes are sorceries so that they become evidence right away but it's a shame they don't synergize very well with descend

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
very tired of all the mega rares and ultra rares and ultra mega rares

if I wanted to win by putting money down i would invest in f1 racing

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

BasicLich posted:

Dominion is on mobile now, £15 gets you access to ranked queue where you can effectively play with any card ever printed. It's very good!

Also despite being made for like 50p it boots to a game 10x faster than the magic client and crashes less.

e: actually you can always play with all the cards (the kingdoms in the unranked queue are made up of both players sets) but you'll see a lot more variety in ranked.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 8, 2024

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

BasicLich posted:

repeat after me: this poo poo ain't nothing to me, man

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

distortion park posted:

Dominion is on mobile now, £15 gets you access to ranked queue where you can effectively play with any card ever printed. It's very good!

Also despite being made for like 50p it boots to a game 10x faster than the magic client and crashes less.

oh drat that sounds pretty good

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Some questions about general MTG design strategy for people who have been in the hobby for a recent while.

I played as a teenager back in middle school during tempest-exodus. Only recently started playing again in fall 2023 by way of doing 2 drafts per month with friends. We have done Neon Dynasty, Ikoria, and Modern Horizons 2. Each of these sets felt quite different from each other, very well realized, with interesting archetypes and not a ton of card overlap. Modern Horizons 2 was probably the best, where each common was designed to be used across 2-3 archetypes, making the competition high for any good card.

Since I've been enjoying the drafts I downloaded MTGA and did some drafts in Lost Caverns of Ixital & now in Murders at Karlov Manner. I am far less impressed with these sets than the 3 I've drafted in life. I feel like most of the cards are generic effect + stapled on mechanic from the set. So much so, that despite the sets having different mechanics, I already am perceiving MKM as feeling same-y to Lost Caverns. I'm seeing the same exact cards, but instead of explore they have investigate and instead of discover they have collect evidence. Many of the colors pairs also feel similar in their roles and how they operate. This is all in a limited environment only-- I don't play standard and thus can't consider the impact of the cards in that format.

What is the current yearly design philosophy? Are there lesser and greater sets? Can I expect that one of the sets in 2024 will try to be bolder and shake things up, but the others will be more iterative and streamlined?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

BasicLich posted:

mythic rares were introduced to MTG in (content warning: the linear passage of time) 2008