Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Twerk from Home posted:

After the Trump tax cut, your standard exemption is about $25k, so taxable income would be somewhere around $125k. Then they'd pay "$10,294 plus 22% of the amount over $89,450.", so 10k + 8k is about $18k in income tax. There's also payroll taxes, you used to get a marginal tax break once you capped out the Social Security taxed income, but that has shot up in recent years from like $100k to 150k so we can assume our couple is paying 7% payroll tax too, so they also pay about $10k in social security+ Medicare.

That napkin math says a couple with gross earnings of $150k are taking home about $120k.

Wow, poverty wages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

I will not stand for people pretending not to understand tax brackets as part of an act. You only pay that % on the income over the previous tax bracket.

You also completely skipped FICA, where medicare and social security are taxed via a fully separate system, and AMT, which is a secret tax system that kicks in if someone gets lucky to make sure that they aren't allowed to keep all of their windfall.

I wasn't pretending anything, I simply chose not to give a poo poo for the purposes of a post on Something Awful :colbert:

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Inflation is HOT.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i would simply live in the very safe town instead of on crumble point lane

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/Carnage4Life/status/1757268922750144737

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

That napkin math says a couple with gross earnings of $150k are taking home about $120k.

Well, that's a bunch. I guess here in euroland it'd be something like 95k$ if you're single. Of course 150k$ is where the highest % starts over here so good luck getting that even for touching computers. But you'd have to worry less about health insurance at least.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Beached Whale posted:

Not sure how they're making ends meet with all this anti-landlord phobia in modern America

https://twitter.com/Gritty20202/status/1757064952773312674

loving guillotine these motherfuckers

This is obscene

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

sleep with the vicious posted:

He's right and doomsday econ is too scared to face facts - 149k isn't enough and you look like a jackass, at 226k the world is your oyster (except in SF/NYC where NOBODY makes less than 250k)

Honestly it's pretty true. Like, obviously this is taken to a logical extreme because it's funny, but I think it's a real point of consideration.

Disposable income has such a weird track; if you make enough money to cover your expenses, you're basically poor. But if you make only, say, 10k extra a year ("only" doing a lot of lifting here, but still) that 10k of disposable income is insane. That's constantly eating out, if you want, or being frugal and buying a Patek in a few years, huge vacations, whatever you want.

I'm just saying that the way disposable income interacts with someone's life is weird and disposable income kind of scales exponentially past your base expense ratios, if that makes any sense.

The only reason this isn't more widely considered is most people are stupid assholes and immediately spend their extra money on things like convenience (like, they'll start doing Instacart or Doordash and other tech-adjacent dumb things that swallow paychecks whole) in a way that makes their expenses immediately equal their income, no matter what it is. It's such a frustrating behavior that we have and keeps so many people from actualizing their own lives.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Last I heard about any of this, California was talking about buying these mansions and renting them back to their current owners so the public takes the hit and not the rich guy living there

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ikanreed posted:

China poses a different threat to global capitalism than the ussr did, because it's on the verge of showing communism showing a better quality of life than the imperial core can, even with all its plunder

it costs $22 to ride the super fast trains in china :negative:

Apr 7, 2003

Taima posted:

Disposable income has such a weird track; if you make enough money to cover your expenses, you're basically poor. But if you make only, say, 10k extra a year ("only" doing a lot of lifting here, but still) that 10k of disposable income is insane.

The necessities vs. frivolities curve has inverted from our parents' generation, which is why they still think a big screen TV is a sign of excess when you can get one for a quarter of the monthy rent on a 1BR in any desirable city.

Going out and buying a PS5 to treat yourself isn't going to affect your ability to afford a house or retire some day because the cost is relatively meaningless now compared to housing, medical care, education, etc

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

loving guillotine these motherfuckers

This is obscene

Some of the replies state that the income chart is inflation adjusted and the rent isn’t. So, I’d probably want to see another source. I’m sure it’s horrible, all the same.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Taima posted:

Honestly it's pretty true

Lol

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

imo the worst salary range is $0 or "slavery"

what about -$1,000,000

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the milk machine posted:

what about -$1,000,000

gently caress i hadn't considered that

Apr 7, 2003

sleep with the vicious posted:

He's right and doomsday econ is too scared to face facts - 149k isn't enough and you look like a jackass, at 226k the world is your oyster (except in SF/NYC where NOBODY makes less than 250k)

Median household income in NYC in 2022 was ~$76k, median per capita income was $48k.

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The necessities vs. frivolities curve has inverted from our parents' generation, which is why they still think a big screen TV is a sign of excess when you can get one for a quarter of the monthy rent on a 1BR in any desirable city.

Going out and buying a PS5 to treat yourself isn't going to affect your ability to afford a house or retire some day because the cost is relatively meaningless now compared to housing, medical care, education, etc

it’s actually millennials who don’t know how to save because they’re all coddled babies. hth

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Median household income in NYC in 2022 was ~$76k, median personal income was $48k.

yeah exactly, those people are Nobodies, they're gristle, they don't count

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Wolfers with no inflstion tweet, but a banger from Sunday.
https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1756871633925734827?t=ZlbYpinW5Gv0Lkieeh8Ofg&s=19

The latest Krugman is a lmao
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1757140594625847307?t=x6JEwtCwwRCe6sbgaSGSKA&s=19

Furman with some good observations.
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1757417448695844971?t=FUfuL7X8doIgilTppjkI3A&s=19
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1757417450528759917?t=E-gmIN79sMBk5D1ZG7U1hw&s=19

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

What a dumb idiot fucker bitch

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

triple sulk posted:

every day now that i look at job postings in product roles and it's loving incredible how many are ai related

the collapse is going to be catastrophic

luckily they're almost all lying about being ai related so apply anyway cause ai startup just means one team uses chatgpt for some random project that'll never see the light of day

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol ???

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1757422940746867040

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol

Thread title

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Lol

Thread title

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Again no one can explain why rates should be cut. If the economy is doing good and inflation is in better shape then it seems like they are set at a pretty good point.

Is it just that the tech industry is built on zero interest loans and its all going to fall apart if they don't lower them?

Raccooon has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Feb 13, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There are so loving many parasitical cockroaches who are completely juiced up on ZIRP and they're convulsing in drug withdrawal right now and screaming for rate cuts

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Markets up

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

triple sulk posted:

every day now that i look at job postings in product roles and it's loving incredible how many are ai related

i recently started a gig job that pays hourly to rate and edit AI responses from models designed to generate code and do analytics stuff

i may not be able to get a real job anymore but i'm drat sure going to try to bring down the rest of the industry with me :evilbuddy:

Apr 7, 2003

Raccooon posted:

Again no one can explain why rates should be cut. If the economy is doing good and inflation is in better shape then it seems like they are set at a pretty good point.

Is it just that the tech industry is built on zero interest loans and its all going to fall apart if they don't lower them?

The investor class wants more free money to corner the bottom of Mazlov's pyramid

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

the milk machine posted:

i recently started a gig job that pays hourly to rate and edit AI responses from models designed to generate code and do analytics stuff

i may not be able to get a real job anymore but i'm drat sure going to try to bring down the rest of the industry with me :evilbuddy:

A fine example of what I was talking about last week.

Apr 7, 2003

The dream is to get interest rates low enough that they can corner the market on breathing and water

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://x.com/unusual_whales/status/1757419859422626144?s=46&t=eipIP3Brnxp68_hpF9XuGA
https://twitter.com/jeuasommenulle/status/1757405545621778672

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
and frozen concentrated orange juice!!!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

SKULL.GIF posted:

There are so loving many parasitical cockroaches who are completely juiced up on ZIRP and they're convulsing in drug withdrawal right now and screaming for rate cuts

It's such a funny self-own.

The pandemic printing netted countless new-money people who essentially just got super lucky, were in business at the right time and had the Fed Fire Hose aimed at their stupid asses for .1 of a second.

These people are now in full panic mode because their entire sense of self-worth is now rooted in something that had nothing to do with them and can never be replicated again.

The cognitive dissonance must be insane, it's like the financial equivalent of giving someone unlimited cocaine for a month and then cutting them off. It's one of the funniest and weirdest things that has ever happened in the history of economics and hardly anyone understands what's even going on.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Same.here

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Twerk from Home posted:

drat accurate. Suck out various insurance deductions to really sway the needle.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

PawParole posted:

Openai basically put a user interface around the LLM’s that have been in use since like 2010 and that drove every venture capitalist wild.

No you don't understand there's at least $50 billion dollars of market cap in the "AI written product review/affiliate link blog" market alone! Just imagine what other meaningless drivil it could produce

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

oh yeah the car insurance rates are insane now, can’t even imagine if you had a couple tickets and an accident or some poo poo

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Just in time for Valentines day, I will no longer have to date the proles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

triple sulk posted:

About a year and a half ago I was looking to switch careers from IT to gamedev and a good chunk of the jobs listed were for NFT and Metaverse poo poo