Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Traxis posted:

You can partially skip chunks of the campaign by completing optional dungeons (if you actually get the keys to drop) https://www.icy-veins.com/last-epoch/campaign-skip

Oh I've seen those keys, I thought they were an endgame thing lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Unless they changed something you can just jump straight to monoliths as soon as you get to the end of time though? You will obviously be underleveled for a bit, but I found it easy enough on my second character.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I've forgotten the order of the campaign but I think you go to Council Chambers (and thus can get to Lightless Arbor) way earlier than you go to End of Time normally, so if you have the necessary keys this skips a lot more of the campaign I guess?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Still so excited that they include a content mode for people who don't want to engage with the player market, it's my major ARPG complaint.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I plan on doing the campaign again when 1.0 launches, because its been a long time and I assume there is new content there? But after that will do campaign skip. I have no choice if I want to make a Falconeeeeer

nerox
May 20, 2001
Are you guys mostly doing trade or no-trade guilds?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No trade for me, I enjoy getting drops more than I like shopping.

e: also the crafting system is so good I think it will mitigate a lot of the RNG that plagues SSF

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 13, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jack Trades posted:

Does the game even refer to your character by their gender?

No

zoux posted:

Oh I've seen those keys, I thought they were an endgame thing lol

They're both although apparently doing the dungeons as a campaign skip is hard as nails

Tellaris posted:

Unless they changed something you can just jump straight to monoliths as soon as you get to the end of time though? You will obviously be underleveled for a bit, but I found it easy enough on my second character.

You can still do this, and you can party up with someone who is in EoT and teleport to them as soon as you make a character (unless joining a party is gated behind something, it's been a while)

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
Probably no-trade as well, Im interested to see how in depth the whole item prophecy drop system gets and how much you can fine tune it to what you want to show up

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Wont you be missing some relic slots/points if you start monoliths as soon as you get to end of time? Or did they change that?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kaddish posted:

Wont you be missing some relic slots/points if you start monoliths as soon as you get to end of time? Or did they change that?

You will, but there are more available in the campaign than you're able to use, so you can bail as soon as you've done enough quests to hit the cap.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Truga posted:

yes, unfortunately

that sucks. bad design.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

zoux posted:

No trade for me, I enjoy getting drops more than I like shopping.

e: also the crafting system is so good I think it will mitigate a lot of the RNG that plagues SSF

This is where I'm at as well.

Will this game have some sort of "official shop" or will it be like PoE where you need to whisper people manually and hope they respond / haven't sold it already? Not that that will impact my decision, but I'm just curious.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sab669 posted:

This is where I'm at as well.

Will this game have some sort of "official shop" or will it be like PoE where you need to whisper people manually and hope they respond / haven't sold it already? Not that that will impact my decision, but I'm just curious.

It's basically an auction house. If you choose the trade faction you can list items for gold and pay a fee in factionbux that you earn by killing monsters. The more stuff you sell, the higher your faction rep goes, allowing you to sell rarer items

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The trade faction they're putting in 1.0 brings with it an auction house.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, an in-game mechanism for buying & selling would go a long way to make trading not Miserable. And I guess everything just being Gold-based instead of Bartering will probably make it more tolerable for me too. But I'm still inclined to go SSF.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

And if you don't like it you can switch without losing your progress with the faction. You just can't equip items that you got via your old faction (traded items / bonus drops from ssf faction)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

If i buy the game (see next months finances) i'll be playing offline and relying on Prophecies forever. :D

Refused to trade in POE but relying on ssf can be crippling there.

Never played D4 but LE potentially looks like a nice upgrade from Grim Dawn for me. :D

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Tarnop posted:

They're both although apparently doing the dungeons as a campaign skip is hard as nails

Ok that’s actually got me interested now

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I'm going full trade. My items will be GOD LEVEL WEEK ONE

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

An Actual Princess posted:

is this game still genderlocked

Truga posted:

yes, unfortunately
they said they might change that in the future if it's successful enough to allow it

An Actual Princess posted:

that sucks. bad design.
It would certainly be nice, but it's less of a design decision and more of a budgetary constraint. You're talking double the character models, double the animations, double the gear rigging, double the voice actors, and double the opening (and maybe final victory) story slides. And AFAIK you can't customize anything about the baseline characters' appearance; all customization is done through gear. I can understand why this wouldn't be the highest priority.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 14, 2024

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

sounds like lazy devs making bad decisions. happens all the time

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
pack it up everyone, diablo 4 beat us

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I wonder how prepared EHG are for the ARPG FotM legions to descend on their servers at launch. It took GGG years to get their league launches smooth.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Vulpes posted:

I wonder how prepared EHG are for the ARPG FotM legions to descend on their servers at launch. It took GGG years to get their league launches smooth.

I'm not optimistic

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

It's going to be a poo poo show. I'll be vibing.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Well I'm basically done with 3.23 in PoE and am looking to try out LE again for the release. I've only played like 10 hrs or so a while back, so I'm interested in build suggestions. Here's my favorite aspects of some PoE builds -

- Cool visual effects, specifically explosion/herald chains. This is prob the most important deciding factor lol
- Trigger builds such as cast on crit (do these exist in LE?)
- Ranged builds. Bow or spells preferably. Not opposed to melee but not what I usually go for either
- Not particularly interested in minion or totem playstyles, but not totally opposed

Also I know they haven't been played with yet, but I'm curious on opinions between the two factions. I'm leaning the SSF faction cause I've always liked the concept for PoE but don't really have the time to get as much out of it vs what I can do in trade. I don't mind trading either, though, if initial thoughts are that the SSF faction perks don't boost drops enough. I don't really have a feel for any of this as I've barely played, maybe base drop rates are just fine!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I don't really have a feel for any of this as I've barely played, maybe base drop rates are just fine!

In the current game which doesn't have trading, ssf is fine, obviously.

I believe they've said though that for the release that the current drop rates are going to be cut by quite a bit.

I can't help you out with a build suggestion, but one of the newer spellcaster classes is pretty neat (runemaster). Too complex for me, but might be up your alley. Depending on what order you cast in a row, different things happen. There's a crap ton of effects this can make. Seemed quite unique.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Disappointed D4 player here. This game seems cool and I think I’m gonna give it a go. I was just curious if there’s any reason to buy and play before the game is released, or just wait for release?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

yeah, offhand i'd say check out reign of winter marksman, runemaster or sorc, maybe umbral/shadow or orb vk if purple balls count as cool visuals

i don't think anyone knows for certain yet how the faction balance will play out but in the current ssf iteration it's reasonably easy to craft or farm basic endgame gear as is until you get into more esoteric builds - it's been a minute since i've played an ssf league, but i think last epoch is more generous in that regard

i'll start ssf and maybe flip to trade if i have a good enough reason

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
There's a cosmetic pet you get for buying any version before 1.0 releases.

Other than that, since the first 'season' content is going directly into eternal, you could do the campaign and be directly at the new stuff when 1.0 launches instead of leveling first (unless you wanted to play falconer or warlock).

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

LibrarianCroaker posted:

There's a cosmetic pet you get for buying any version before 1.0 releases.

Other than that, since the first 'season' content is going directly into eternal, you could do the campaign and be directly at the new stuff when 1.0 launches instead of leveling first (unless you wanted to play falconer or warlock).

Dope. I kept telling myself to hold off until release. Now I can give in to my impulse, guilt free.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Well I'm basically done with 3.23 in PoE and am looking to try out LE again for the release. I've only played like 10 hrs or so a while back, so I'm interested in build suggestions. Here's my favorite aspects of some PoE builds -

- Cool visual effects, specifically explosion/herald chains. This is prob the most important deciding factor lol
- Trigger builds such as cast on crit (do these exist in LE?)
- Ranged builds. Bow or spells preferably. Not opposed to melee but not what I usually go for either

Building around Bleed Overload and Rip Blood on Warlock or Lich should fit what you're asking for. Bleed Overload casts a spell called Rip Blood every second while its active. Rip Blood can be specced to recast itself when it kills enemies and has a subskill in its tree called Blood Splatters that deals area damage. It can be triggered via a movement skill (Transplant) and used as a spammable for single target. Hitting 25 stacks of bleed to trigger the overload is pretty easy even for a crit build, so you don't even necessarily need to scale ailment damage.

This is what the necrotic conversion looks like on Lich currently without the extra casts from Bleed Overload:
https://imgur.com/poJcRPR.mp4

No planners for it but here is a recent build guide for a physical lich version: Wrong Warp Blood Explosion 160% Movement Speed Lich

Another good option for flashy, satisfying clear is spark charges on Mage. It's a lightning ailment that explodes for a big hit after 2 seconds or when another spark charge is applied. It uses a unique offhand called Fragment of the Enigma that is pretty easy to find and scales with int and spell crit, which makes it an easy fit for many Mage builds.

Here is what it looks like with Elemental Nova:
https://imgur.com/nnSpY2f.mp4

There are a ton of versions of it since it's a popular archetype. Lightning Blast, Runic Invocation, Frostclaw, Mana Strike.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
I have a buddy that wants to play this with me on release day. What’s the best item faction to choose if we only want to trade each other?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Fortune. You can still give items to players in the same party when they drop, and you find things that let you gift items to people you've played with a lot that they weren't in the party for.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

As someone who has been playing since day 1 early access, I promise that Last Epoch is extremely good. It blows Diablo IV out of the water for quality. Excited to see so many new goons jumping in soon.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I second that it's a very good game. it still has some bugs, but it's a far cry from mess that some people might remember it to be from the first couple early access builds. it doesn't have poe endgame depth, but there's still plenty to chew on and plenty of builds to explore. you can make insanely powerful leveling gear to the point that your secondary characters could be entering the endgame as early as level 15. I wouldn't put too much stock into the endgame build guides, but I highly recommend looking at the loot filter guides.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I wish you could compare stats on your offhand :argh: but yeah other than that game's a blast to play

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011
Class / build recommendations for controller play. I just wanna chill with my steam deck and smash/shoot/spell monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can I please have auto-pickup on materials the same way Gold is picked up?