Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

haveblue posted:

Personally, if I were head of the arbitration company, I would go hog wild committing crimes with impunity

What you haven't considered is that the free market would eventually remove such a corrupt arbitration company and replace it with an uncorrupt one. Consumers will mostly move to security companies that vow to pick CEOs that promise to only work with uncorrupt arbitration companies, giving those uncorrupt ones a competitive edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

PT6A posted:

Let's hear this guy out. It doesn't sound like a terrible system, and once you have a reasonable monopoly on violence in an area, you could maybe get into some things that go nicely with that sort of power. Maybe some gambling, distribution of controlled substances... and, hell, if you already have the protection, might as well do some light pimping on the side.

Oh Christ, he's invented "the mafia."

It was already a protection racket.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Every an-cap system breaks down immediately when you get to statements like “the parties involved will do X because it’s easier/cheaper/logical.” People do counterproductive poo poo all day every day out of spite, cruelty, and (most often) stupidity. It’s far more of a given than the actions of some imagined rational actor

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Scratch Monkey posted:

Every an-cap system breaks down immediately when you get to statements like “the parties involved will do X because it’s easier/cheaper/logical.” People do counterproductive poo poo all day every day out of spite, cruelty, and (most often) stupidity. It’s far more of a given than the actions of some imagined rational actor

Yes but these sporadic individual choices don't matter in the grand scheme of things, rather one should focus on the demonstrated tendencies of populations and markets to be correct and rational especially when it comes to sustainable long term benefits vs. destructive immediate gains and oh lord I've gone crosseyed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Nebrilos posted:

What incentive does Ring have to obey the arbitrator's ruling?

What prevents the best-funded security firm from hiring the most mercenaries and then conquering/seizing all of the other security firms and all of the territory it can control and then setting up a state again?
Sounds like someone hasn’t heard of the Non-Aggression Principle. :smugdog:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All you anti ancaps are forgetting that all of these issues would be simply solved by cartels

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if there's one geopolitical lesson to take away from the 20th century it's that a vast tangle of interlocking defense agreements will always prevent a vast war spanning the world

also that companies in an industry will never consolidate until they have regional monopolies

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

All you anti ancaps are forgetting that all of these issues would be simply solved by cartels

Correct, and the thousands of smaller companies would never merge together into larger and less numerous conglomerates until the market becomes unable to constrain their behavior because

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if there's one geopolitical lesson to take away from the 20th century it's that a vast tangle of interlocking defense agreements will always prevent a vast war spanning the world

also that companies in an industry will never consolidate until they have regional monopolies

Ah a fellow Von Misean

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Is this really the lesson though? I know "great men of history" is bunk, and Bush's "axis of evil" speech was dumb as hell, but we have had rogue actors like Hitler, who very clearly stated their policy goals in the 20's were explicitly for a colonialist war. And there were all sorts of interlocking agreements around Hitler's Germany, but he chose to invade poor Poland anyway. Clearly the EU is a successful political project for peace, but even today we have morons like Trump who either don't understand geopolitics or don't care, or both, and scream about removing NATO protection from countries that are "too cheap" to meet the 2% budget requirement. I don't think peace can be taken for granted, even though we managed not to set the northern hemisphere on fire during the Cold War (and the proxy wars were conveniently exported into the third world anyway)

Or this post is a joke and I didn't get it :ohdear:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Rappaport posted:

It was sarcasm. WW1 happened in spite of a vast tangle of interlocking defense agreements.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]

Rappaport posted:

lmao

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rappaport posted:

It's this one, OP.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Rappaport posted:

...Someone earned themselves a titty twister.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

haveblue posted:

Correct, and the thousands of smaller companies would never merge together into larger and less numerous conglomerates until the market becomes unable to constrain their behavior because

You seem to be laboring under the belief that a free market can fail. I have simply assumed they cannot :colbert:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

PittTheElder posted:

You seem to be laboring under the belief that a free market can fail. I have simply assumed they cannot :colbert:

It obviously cannot fail. It can only be failed, by definition.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

!

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Scratch Monkey posted:

Relatedly, you'd run into bigotry/the socially-constructed nature of crime. What happens when Chud McMAGA burns Free Waterfall Jr's pride flag, and True Patriot DRO refuses to negotiate because they think making queer people unwelcome is a public service, not a crime?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

darthbob88 posted:

Relatedly, you'd run into bigotry/the socially-constructed nature of crime. What happens when Chud McMAGA burns Free Waterfall Jr's pride flag, and True Patriot DRO refuses to negotiate because they think making queer people unwelcome is a public service, not a crime?

They just wouldn't, OK. The free market will make them behave. It wouldn't happen(TM)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

At first glance it looked like she has a ehm... firm grip on him through his pants there lmao

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Taeke posted:

At first glance it looked like she has a ehm... firm grip on him through his pants there lmao
dude's packin'. That's a ways down the leg.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

zoux posted:

That's schrecklich as hell

https://twitter.com/TheYcOrg/status/1757322958958117304

Why, that's much better

I’m pretty sure that Young Capitalists account is just Wizard Master.

Also :laffo: at the internet being unified in the execution of Ian Miles Cheong

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

darthbob88 posted:

Remember how in Jim Crow era southern US all those restaurants and hotels would not serve black people? As we all know, this lead to a few enterprising establishments seeing an unmet need in the market. They promptly began catering to all consumers regardless of race which is how the free market ended racism in the US

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

cat botherer posted:

dude's packin'. That's a ways down the leg.

Yeah im pretty sure that is intentional lol

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I’m pretty sure that Young Capitalists account is just Wizard Master.

Also :laffo: at the internet being unified in the execution of Ian Miles Cheong
he was stoned to death by concrete milkshakes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Food for thought next time you see some insane CNBC article: these people are morons who don't know what they're talking about

I'm not going to say that I could never be scammed but I can loving guarantee I wouldn't get scammed into handing 50 grand in cash money to a stranger.

Source, if you want it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

I'm not going to say that I could never be scammed but I can loving guarantee I wouldn't get scammed into handing 50 grand in cash money to a stranger.

We like to think that, but it was a high-effort scam involving multiple con artists supporting each other's stories that unfolded over several hours. We all have finite capacity for defying this sort of thing, the scammers just have to find it

The weirdest part to me was that the bank handed over 50 grand in cash instantly without any roadblocks, that's got to be well above the level where reporting requirements kick in

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

We like to think that, but it was a high-effort scam involving multiple con artists supporting each other's stories that unfolded over several hours. We all have finite capacity for defying this sort of thing, the scammers just have to find it

The weirdest part to me was that the bank handed over 50 grand in cash instantly without any roadblocks, that's got to be well above the level where reporting requirements kick in

The CIA would not be investigating domestic bank fraud. Your bank is who calls you about fraud, not vendors. She has been a financial columnist for seven years and did not know these things.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

cat botherer posted:

he was stoned to death by concrete milkshakes

Wrong fascist journalist, I believe.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I get that we're all gullible and can fall for something, but why would the CIA call you and be on the verge of arresting you if you so much as talk to your lawyer, but also is issuing you a new SSN to catch the real criminals who are doing fraud with your actual SSN? This seems like a pretty easy scam to avoid by just being skeptical if someone tells you your life is becoming a spy movie or something.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

burnishedfume posted:

I get that we're all gullible and can fall for something, but why would the CIA call you and be on the verge of arresting you if you so much as talk to your lawyer, but also is issuing you a new SSN to catch the real criminals who are doing fraud with your actual SSN? This seems like a pretty easy scam to avoid by just being skeptical if someone tells you your life is becoming a spy movie or something.

Yeah, like we've had people who are fleeced at work but gently caress me this lady seems absolutely clueless. From taking a message from "Amazon" alone would be enough to ring alarm bells to me.

Like, I get it and I am glad people will come forward and talk about it, but I kind of think this is the sort of profound thing where if you stop and think about it for more than 5 seconds you'd realise some of it is dumb as hell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It'd be one thing if she were an 85 year old grandma and not a paid financial advice columnist. This is literally the wallet inspector.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I can kind of sort of understand how she got most of the way into the scam. It's dumb, but I can see the quasi reasonable path. But why the gently caress would you not abort everything and laugh at how they almost got you when they tell you it's CIA time?

Edit: Though I guess it does all sound dumb and implausible enough to be a CIA plan to assassinate Castro.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 15, 2024

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

zoux posted:

It'd be one thing if she were an 85 year old grandma and not a paid financial advice columnist. This is literally the wallet inspector.
She's a columnist. She's supposed to be stupid!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

zoux posted:

Well, me neither because that would be stupid.

Also impossible because I'll never have that much cash in my hands

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Also impossible because I'll never have that much cash in my hands

My friend, have you considered being the scammer instead of the scammee

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/SteakFrankhouse/status/1758366193616896023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Bro heard "Be there or be square" and decided to embrace it.