Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Unsurprising

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Schmeichy posted:

It's February, in the northern hemisphere it's a perversion that flowers are even available

yeah

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Salt Fish posted:

Okay now do the same thing on the cost of a house.

Well from two quick google searches it appears the median home sale in 2023 was 412000 and the average home price inflation since the 60's till now has been 4.27% so compound that up and you're gonna get around 1.4 million. At 5% interest you would have saved a bit under half of that, at 7.5%, about 3/4's, and at 10% you would have saved more.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Schmeichy posted:

It's February, in the northern hemisphere it's a perversion that flowers are even available

greenhouses are a perversion of nature

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Ooze back to your trump thread hole where you can jackoff to poor people dying

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

yeah, save the one for the next morning

... lol slapfights make this thread p quick

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

projection

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PoundSand posted:

Well from two quick google searches it appears the median home sale in 2023 was 412000 and the average home price inflation since the 60's till now has been 4.27% so compound that up and you're gonna get around 1.4 million. At 5% interest you would have saved a bit under half of that, at 7.5%, about 3/4's, and at 10% you would have saved more.

A solid plan for buying a house as long as nothing unexpected happens in thirty years

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

lol :sad:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

War is the only industry. Pass those funding bills!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A solid plan for buying a house as long as nothing unexpected happens in thirty years

I think saving up 100% of the price of a home to pay in cash isn't really a realistic goal to begin with I was just more addressing the general idea that I think people do underestimate how much money you can save over time. The original post I was responding to was basically "10k ain't poo poo" but you can legit only put 7k in your IRA in 2024 (and assuming you can afford it) you absolutely should because it will translate to a reasonable chunk of savings over the course of your career.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Oh yeah, no doubt, just that there's no safety net and all it takes is one bad turn of luck to wipe anything you've saved out.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yup, even with health insurance you're one major health event away from all of it being wiped out, either your own, your spouse's, or your child. They'll just take it all. If your parents need care, the system will take all their money and then all yours too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Anyway to be thread cop for a minute let's move along from "posting crimes" chat.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Anyway to be thread cop for a minute let's move along from "posting crimes" chat.

oink oink piggy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
If anyone's in the mood for a laugh, YCombinator released a list of startup ideas they'd like to fund:

https://www.ycombinator.com/rfs

quote:

Stablecoin finance

- Brad Flora

Stablecoins are digital currencies that peg their value to some external reference. This is typically the U.S. dollar, but it can be other fiat currencies, assets, or even other digital currencies. Their transactions are recorded on a digital ledger, usually a blockchain. This means they can be traded at any time of day between any two wallets on the same network, transactions settle in seconds, and fees are a fraction of what you see in traditional finance.

There’s been much debate about the utility of blockchain technology, but it seems clear that stablecoins will be a big part of the future of money. We know this because YC companies have been effectively incorporating stablecoins into their operations for years now – for cross-border payments, to reduce transaction fees and fraud, to help users protect savings from hyperinflation. This utility is so straightforward it seems inevitable traditional finance will follow suit.

In fact we’re seeing signs of this. PayPal recently issued its own stablecoin. Major banks have started offering custody services and making noise about issuing their own.

It all looks a bit like digital music’s transition from the realm of outlaw file sharing in the early 2000s to becoming the norm as players like Apple entered the market. Importantly, those major players were all outmatched in the end by Spotify, a startup founded during that same transition moment.

$136b worth of stablecoins have been issued to date but the opportunity seems much more immense still. Only about seven million people have transacted with stablecoins to date, while more than half a billion live in countries with 30%+ inflation. U.S. banks hold $17b in customer deposits which are all up for grabs as well. And yet the major stablecoin issuers can be counted on one hand and the major liquidity providers with just a few fingers.

We would like to fund great teams building B2B and consumer products on top of stablecoins, tools and platforms that enable stablecoin finance and more stablecoin protocols themselves.

A way to end cancer

- Surbhi Sarna

The technology to diagnose cancer at an early stage already exists. Since most cancers are now treatable if caught early enough, this technology would dramatically reduce cancer deaths if rolled out widely and affordably.

The technology we’re talking about is an MRI. Modern MRIs are sensitive enough to detect cancer masses as small as a millimeter.

Some companies are already having success on a small scale offering MRIs to patients for a high cash price. However, there is backlash from the medical community as MRIs also create incidental findings (or false positives), that cost our healthcare system valuable time and money to investigate.

For this to work, the world would need to scale up the number of MRI scans it does by at least 100x. Doing that will require innovations in the MRI hardware, the AI algorithms to interpret scans and reduce false positives, and the business models and consumer marketing to make it a viable business. We’re interested in funding companies looking to tackle this multifaceted problem.

While much exciting progress is being made on cancer therapeutics, finding cancer early enough for our existing therapeutics to be curative might be the opportunity with the greatest potential impact.

let's also eliminate the middleman in healthcare with some more healthcare startups!

quote:

Eliminating middlemen in healthcare

- Surbhi Sarna

The US spends more money per person on healthcare than any other developed nation, yet our patient outcomes are no better. Much of our spend goes to paying middlemen — which in our view includes everyone not directly providing care to patients.

A recent report on medicare spending on drugs found that 70% of spend went to middlemen (primarily PBMs, wholesalers, and pharmacies) and only 30% to the pharmaceutical companies who make the drugs. Similar dynamics exist in every other vertical — hospital care, medical equipment, insurance, etc.

There are many ways startups could attack these inefficiencies, from using AI to automate repetitive human jobs to exploring new and better business models for providing care. In the spirit of Jeff Bezos’ “your margin is my opportunity”, we believe it’s possible to build a highly profitable business and make the system more efficient at the same time.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
just replace the words "eliminate" and "end" with "become" and it makes a lot more sense

become the middleman

a way to become cancer

etc.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

a way to become cancer

i already post here what more do you want from me

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

cat botherer posted:

If anyone's in the mood for a laugh, YCombinator released a list of startup ideas they'd like to fund:

https://www.ycombinator.com/rfs

let's also eliminate the middleman in healthcare with some more healthcare startups!

I was JUST thinking how pharmaceutical companies need more money.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

cool

Slow News Day posted:

Perfect, thanks. So that means neither Biden or Reade has any credibility issues in this specific context, of raping or being raped (since their past lying has occurred in other, irrelevant contexts).

So then the question that still needs answering is: why should we err on the side of believing Reade?

Just about the only reason I can think of is "believe all women", and it is worth noting that "believe all women" does not mean that anyone accused of raping someone immediately goes to jail for 20 years or whatever. It simply means accusers should be taken seriously and their accusations investigated, rather than dismissed immediately. And the media has done quite extensive investigating over the past three months. The problem is that what they found (or rather, have not found) has made the NoJoe crowd extremely angry, and now anyone who dares to doubt Reade is labeled a rape apologist, because you see, Biden is absolutely a rapist, and the real problem is that our standards of evidence for proving guilt are simply too high, and we should just lower them when it comes to rape on the basis that coming forward as a rape victim is really hard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

cool cool cool

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

We got another one on this page

HallelujahLee has issued a correction as of 20:36 on Feb 14, 2024

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Mr Hootington posted:

They do not. They want to do to China what happened to Russia after the ussr collapsed. They want nothing more than to genocide all of Asia.

idk they also seem to really like sexual violence. seems bad

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I bought 2 dozen roses for $35 at Costco and they had a mixed bunch for $17. There were more expensive arrangements but the roses were a good deal.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

skooma512 posted:

If your parents need care, the system will take all their money and then all yours too.

my sister’s father-in-law recently moved into a memory care facility that cost $14,000 a month. it’s nothing fancy. his wife is considering divorcing him if it prevents draining all their assets within a couple years.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
4 years ago

today

just your average every day 50% price increase in 4 years

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

I was JUST thinking how pharmaceutical companies need more money.

Not pharma companies but BIOTECH DISRUPTORRRRRZZZZZ

That MRI idea is so braindead stupid that I had to look her up to see if she had any health science experience at all (and she does). False positives are a potentially addressable issue by new tech but the problem isn't underutilization of medical imaging, it's that MRIs are fuckoff huge magnets cooled by liquid helium that are used for a thousand different imaging purposes in any given facility. There's no conceivable way to scale up cancer imaging by even 5x let alone 100x if your starting point is "give them an MRI"

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems normal. I bought some clamps for my bike under 4€ each, and noticed today they are now 6€. So many products with small prices have had huge increases.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

That MRI idea is so braindead stupid that I had to look her up to see if she had any health science experience at all (and she does). False positives are a potentially addressable issue by new tech but the problem isn't underutilization of medical imaging, it's that MRIs are fuckoff huge magnets cooled by liquid helium that are used for a thousand different imaging purposes in any given facility. There's no conceivable way to scale up cancer imaging by even 5x let alone 100x if your starting point is "give them an MRI"

Yeah but that's a more useful idea than yet another stablecoin

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

roses are not in the bucket of goods

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the bucket of goods afaict is
professional advice
airfare
flatscreen TVs
owner occupied rent guesstimates
apples
copier paper

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

euphronius posted:

they should be or did joan baez lie to me

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

euphronius posted:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

my "it's not important to have clinical experience" shirt is raising several questions raised by my shirt

also she lists Crossfit as a company she has advised while at YC lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

SKULL.GIF posted:

"We print money and people actually believe it (laughs)"

https://twitter.com/Breedlove22/status/1757419780275855619

lol

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

FizFashizzle posted:

my "it's not important to have clinical experience" shirt is raising several questions raised by my shirt

also she lists Crossfit as a company she has advised while at YC lol

Isn't CrossFit the fitness program where so many people were blowing out their rear end in a top hat from their crazy rear end poor form workouts that they made a mascot for it? We need those kinds of movers and shakers to disrupt the boring MRI industry

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Minera posted:

4 years ago

today

just your average every day 50% price increase in 4 years

aldi did you a favor. red roses are cringe.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
a bouquet of Red Roses for you my Love, my Darling Dearest.

LMFAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Smythe posted:

a bouquet of Red Roses for you my Love, my Darling Dearest.

LMFAO