Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

:love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

That lady? Hitler's mom.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Citing people for speeding and driving unsafely and violating parking laws is pretty much the best use case if we have to have cops and it's the only thing they should be allowed to do. A couple months back, we drove out to visit a friend who lives in the middle of nowhere. It was night, pitch dark because middle of nowhere, road conditions were terrible, rain wind and fog, and we were on a twisty 2 lane road with a 40 mph speed limit. I was going the speed limit and some rear end in a top hat rode on my rear end for a couple miles before roaring past in his big stupid loving truck in the oncoming lane. I sincerely hope that stupid piece of poo poo flies off the road someday and wraps that truck around a tree, but he'll probably just end up pasting a kid or two and getting off with no prosecution because it was just a "tragic accident"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Why does it need to be cops? The less people out there empowered to shoot people the better. Just let them hand out tickets or whatever.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Parking enforcement usually parks in the bike lane, so gently caress them too.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

to no one's surprise, repaving roads just increases speeds. the ideal case is continued decline of the material base and roads just deteriorating to such a large degree that average speeds decrease
https://twitter.com/BerkSafeStreets/status/1737951952712175877
https://twitter.com/BerkSafeStreets/status/1737951955321032788

the sensor they're using is kinda cool

https://telraam.net/en/S2

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

a lady tried to run a red light but she got stuck behind a crossing cyclist so I got to yell at her and she got sooo mad in her little box lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I accidentally blew through a crosswalk at 20mph because I didn't notice the guy approaching it with his daughter in time to yield it to them. Feeling so ashamed right now. This is the beast that the personal automobile turns you into

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I accidentally blew through a crosswalk at 20mph because I didn't notice the guy approaching it with his daughter in time to yield it to them. Feeling so ashamed right now. This is the beast that the personal automobile turns you into

I did this more or less a few months ago and it still bothers me that it happened

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You should be happy that you feel ashamed about it. That’s better than most people. The sad thing about driving is that humans gently caress up all the time, and that doesn’t magically change if you’re behind the wheel.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Religion is hosed

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Which cycle is that breaking?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Fitzy Fitz posted:

the bicycle

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

polar ice formation

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/postoctobrist/status/1757946201574453574

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cat botherer posted:

You should be happy that you feel ashamed about it. That’s better than most people. The sad thing about driving is that humans gently caress up all the time, and that doesn’t magically change if you’re behind the wheel.

To be clear he wasn't in the crosswalk yet. I just wanted to let him cross and I knew the people behind me weren't going to unless forced. He was clearly approaching it! He had the right of way!! Curse the personal automobile

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Karach posted:

the bicycle

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

if I ever meet a car irl it can taste my kusarigama

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lmao did she already delete the video?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lmao did she already delete the video?

she went private

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

aw frig aw dang it posted:

if I ever meet a car irl it can taste my kusarigama

You would kiss the car

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I still feel guilty - in 2018 i was making a left turn and i came like 5ft from someone who was crossing in the crosswalk. because you know, the loving insanity of a marked left hand turn while people have a loving walk light in this area.

It made me hyper aware of every left turn I take though and totally realigned my view that "im a good driver" because none of us are good drivers. The very nature of how cars are designed and made and our systems around them are inherently unsafe and make us all unsafe.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

none of us are good drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DGNZnfKYnU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

....who's talking about overtaking?
Second Hand Meat Mouth, earlier in the conversation. I read your post in that context. If that wasn't what you meant then you still haven't answered my original question of when you think it would be safer to go faster than the speed limit as you previously implied ("it would be better to choose a safe speed regardless of an arbitrary sign ... It works in both directions").

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

the driver will hit you and claim they couldn't see because of the blinding light and get off, OP

If they aren't already getting off, why the hell are they driving?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

If they aren't already getting off, why the hell are they driving?

Does Hitachi make cars now?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

this lady needs a real job that contributes to society instead of one that takes from others

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

thinking about bicycles today

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

"they don't have to suffer to exist in this world" being satisfied by having a car instead of like ridding yourself of attachment

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

silicone thrills posted:

I still feel guilty - in 2018 i was making a left turn and i came like 5ft from someone who was crossing in the crosswalk. because you know, the loving insanity of a marked left hand turn while people have a loving walk light in this area.

It made me hyper aware of every left turn I take though and totally realigned my view that "im a good driver" because none of us are good drivers. The very nature of how cars are designed and made and our systems around them are inherently unsafe and make us all unsafe.

He wasn't in the crosswalk I just felt sad I didn't stop and let him cross when he was clearly going to

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

lobster shirt posted:

bikes rock. being forced into car ownership by a COL relocation really pissed me off

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

I did my fastest ever 12 km ride today because I left the house at 5 and had exactly an hour to myself before the evening rush of meetings came in

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The reality is that everyone is going to have moments where they lose focus. The human brain isn’t capable of maintaining perfect attention for hours at a time. It’s why you really should never do something that demands continuous perfect attention for hours at a time.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The reality is that everyone is going to have moments where they lose focus. The human brain isn’t capable of maintaining perfect attention for hours at a time. It’s why you really should never do something that demands continuous perfect attention for hours at a time.

We could hire professionals working in shifts to handle transportation! And some of them could park in the bike lane :argh:

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
My dad is a pretty good example of how long commutes can make people go crazy and just stop giving a poo poo about the people on the road around them over time. He got a new job after I moved away that was an hour+ drive each way. I lived far away and never rode in a car with him, but when I moved back years later and started riding with him more often it was like he was a different person.

He would tailgate people in the fast lane and flash his lights at them if they were going to slow for his taste. He told me he would drive in the emergency lane if traffic was stopped on the interstate. Once after a baseball game we were waiting on people to cross a busy crosswalk and he said "we take turns at crosswalks right" and just busted through the middle of a crowd in the act of crossing. One guy got rightly pissed and knocked on his car pretty hard while I was saying "pedestrians have the right of way!" and he just smirked. He didn't drive like this when I was a kid and I'm convinced it's because he spent over 2 hours a day in his car for years, and it made him a worse, less caring person. Fuckin cars man

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

dad cartarded so what

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hirsute posted:

My dad is a pretty good example of how long commutes can make people go crazy and just stop giving a poo poo about the people on the road around them over time. He got a new job after I moved away that was an hour+ drive each way. I lived far away and never rode in a car with him, but when I moved back years later and started riding with him more often it was like he was a different person.

He would tailgate people in the fast lane and flash his lights at them if they were going to slow for his taste. He told me he would drive in the emergency lane if traffic was stopped on the interstate. Once after a baseball game we were waiting on people to cross a busy crosswalk and he said "we take turns at crosswalks right" and just busted through the middle of a crowd in the act of crossing. One guy got rightly pissed and knocked on his car pretty hard while I was saying "pedestrians have the right of way!" and he just smirked. He didn't drive like this when I was a kid and I'm convinced it's because he spent over 2 hours a day in his car for years, and it made him a worse, less caring person. Fuckin cars man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt4rzRCy_XU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i like buses, more buses please

https://twitter.com/frozenpandaman/status/1757893681670193468

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

that's loving awesome