Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think my biggest complaint with the game overall is the difficulty is completely hosed. Everything is a complete cakewalk until Proud and even then it's like. 3? fights that have any real bite to them.

everything felt p appropriate the launch week, but i went back and revisited a few misc proud fights now that the Meta has stabilized with abusive dps combos and things like double 2chain stunlocks and a lot of people have a few fully uncapped terminus weapons and lots of V+ sigils, and lmao god drat. fights just End before they do anything dangerous at all. its kinda funny in its own way, and it reminds me a lot of like, the power creep in Real Granblue and carrying newbies through their first fights with your end game grids, but it is a lil sad that a lot of ppl just wont get that same experience and stumbling through proud and maybe even getting a few quest faileds (except on a few specific duos)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Dw the meta people aren't playing like 90% of the proud fights so those are still good!!!

But I'd worry more about like a few months out when all the meta players park it. People are gonna actually have to use the AI for most of the game I suspect, which is p fun in its own way but it is different.

Thems the breaks!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Using AI is fun, gearing AI is not.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Less grind than I expected tbh. Was thinking as soon as main story ended it’d be hella grindy but really it’s pretty chill until Proud.

Yeah, I was able to get a little over halfway into Maniac without ever repeating a mission or doing online coop, just by focusing on playing Charlotta and building her for damage while building the AI party members for support (the AI is mostly very good at staying alive even with minimal investment beyond unlocking perfect guard/dodge, although it starts to struggle with big AoE attacks in a few of the later missions). You'll eventually have to grind and/or rely on strong internet people if you want to see absolutely everything, but you can at least get through all of the story content including postgame without it.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
can someone explain why you're not supposed to use crew cards?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

padijun posted:

Getting your last weapon unlock is a loot table based on who you've unlocked, so the more crew cards you've used, the rarer the individual weapons you can get becomes. Annoying for sure but not the end of the world imo

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

padijun posted:

you have all the best characters in the game unlocked by default, not like that dirty floor tanking narmaya

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

padijun posted:

When you're farming for your final weapon the boss that drops it will randomly choose a character you have unlocked and give you their weapon. So by unlocking more characters you have less of a chance of obtaining the weapon for the character you want.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Fedule posted:

I'm still going to do it, despite how much I will hate it, because I know just as well as any of you that there is just something wrong with my brain and I've made my peace with it. I'll do the story mode re-run after, as a treat.

I regret to inform you that they'll want you to run the entire story on ultimate twice. I did it once out of curiosity and because I needed to complete my crab collection, but twice is just psychopath behavior.

Edit: the worst grind in the game is hands down fortitude crystals. I'm begging you, have I not genocided enough goblins?!

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 16, 2024

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
What do I have to kill and offer to the gods to get a war elemental out of a curio. And a swordmaster's art + improved dodge sigil out of transmarvel. At least I can sort of rig one of them with enough time

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Endorph posted:

i think reacting like that to 'hey do uhhh 5 billion damage to goblins lol' is way more deranged than putting that in your game

Having "deal 5 billion damage to goblins" would actually be a somewhat okay Trophy for this game in particular. It's an arbitrary milestone which generally is pointless and would need to be grinded but by the time a player hits Proud they'd be able to progress it fairly snappily with endgame weapons against Proud fights (or even easy survival quests). It would end up having kind of a look how far you've come feel to it, where at the end of the game it seems like a far smaller ask than at the outset. Its biggest problem would be not enough quests in Proud involving goblins to have it really be going by the time players start looking to check off Trophies. Doing this kind of thing is a good use of Trophies because even if it's a vague one it at least provides an answer to the question "Why would anyone want to do this, or be pleased to have done it?". It's somewhat a silly Trophy but nowhere near as offensive as "replay this specific, very long, mostly boring fight, hundreds of times, for no other benefit, making no other progress".

e:

Obligatum VII posted:

I regret to inform you that they'll want you to run the entire story on ultimate twice. I did it once out of curiosity and because I needed to complete my crab collection, but twice is just psychopath behavior.

Edit: the worst grind in the game is hands down fortitude crystals. I'm begging you, have I not genocided enough goblins?!

Fortunately I already did one rerun of most chapters for crabs. The mandatory Hard rerun to unlock the Ultimate mode is kinda dumb but probably doesn't represent a huge time loss given how every encounter will end if you look at it funny. Why did they even bother with Hard mode, honestly? e:e: Hold up. Ultimate twice? What's with that?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 16, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh also here's an actual question. 19 playable characters x 6 weapons = 114 weapons. The Weapons tab in the Journal shows 115 entries. I have forged every weapon at the Blacksmith and have the expected 95 weapons, with 19 Terminus weapons missing. What's the 115th weapon?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Probably the DLC weapon you get for the captain

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm glad I've never even looked at my trophy list other than to claim rewards from it when I get some through playing the game naturally.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Fedule posted:

Oh also here's an actual question. 19 playable characters x 6 weapons = 114 weapons. The Weapons tab in the Journal shows 115 entries. I have forged every weapon at the Blacksmith and have the expected 95 weapons, with 19 Terminus weapons missing. What's the 115th weapon?

The fake Dopus sword you can get from the DLC.

(It's two stars and I don't believe has anything good for the collection for Danchou, so don't rush out to buy the special edition DLC for it)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
DLC as a requirement for the platinum trophy. Absolutely incredible.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
It's not required.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hommando posted:

When you're farming for your final weapon the boss that drops it will randomly choose a character you have unlocked and give you their weapon. So by unlocking more characters you have less of a chance of obtaining the weapon for the character you want.

Also characters unlock at a higher level with more of their Mastery tree filled out the later in the progress grind you unlock them. iirc this caps at level 60 with ~50% of both masteries filled out once you start unlocking characters in Maniac.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Paying2Lurk posted:

It's not required.

I didn't dare hope. This is still very stupid (since now the trophy description is a lie) but is definitely the preferable of the two very stupid possibilities here.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Okay, Stay mad I guess. Bye.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Aren't the actual PS trophies/Steam achievements just a small subset of the in-game trophies? You can get the platinum trophy for public display without having to do like 70% of the bullshit in-game trophies.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Ibblebibble posted:

Aren't the actual PS trophies/Steam achievements just a small subset of the in-game trophies? You can get the platinum trophy for public display without having to do like 70% of the bullshit in-game trophies.

Yeah, there are way more in-game trophies that reward you with a prism or a sigil, etc. The trophy / achievements list overall isn't that bad, but the stickler is the Reminiscence trophy. It requires filling in all of the Field Notes in Lyria's Journal. It's almost Yakuza 0-esque in all the stuff it requires. People latched on to the 114/115 weapons thing since it seemed like an easy answer as to why they weren't getting the trophy, but there's usually some part of the character bio they didn't complete or some obscure item that only appears in one Fate Episode they didn't pick up.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

boy am i glad i don't have terminal cheevo brain

anyways I'm late to the party but I've been having a good time with relink. The story was very anime/10, cliché as all hell but a fun romp nonetheless. The english VAs are fantastic, and I'm honestly surprised just how many voice lines there are in general. For instance while going through the story I figured that it'd just be the original 6 talking, but actually there are one-liners here and there throughout the chapters even for the unlockable crew characters, which is a neat bonus they didn't have to do but I'm glad they did.

I'm a hammer main in MH and I think my favorite character that I've played so far is Cagliostro here. I was enjoying Ferry but then I looked up some discussion on her and turns out her "optimal" dps combo (by like 30% damage) is just spamming launch+finisher which discounts 95% of her actual moveset, which seems like a massive oversight that should be fixed at some point. That said I don't have that many characters unlocked because I read about the teriminus weapon grind. In any case, I just reached mania last night and should be in proud hopefully today. I do feel like the ramp up has been a bit on the slow side - there's a lot of what feels like "filler" quests that I'm not sure were really necessary, especially on the lower difficulties.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man just what are the drop rates on these special boss materials like vitality hoof and stuff like that anyway?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Made it to proud mode and that boss fight to unlock the difficulty sure is a massive jump lmfao, my group of randos was getting destroyed. But then on the next attempt, the group barely needed SBAs to get past the DPS checks, so cool

I’ll keep playing but I’m thinking that I’ll likely end up getting my fill of the game when I can get a terminus weapon for a character I like, since I’m kinda just stockpiling cash and MSP at this point. The game is fun but a lot of these bosses are pretty meh after the first go around, and proud so far has gone the route of “well quintuple this dragon’s damage output and make you fight an extra dragon too”

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The Terminus Scythe dropped! But the crew is voting to repeat! This is the greatest ethical dilemma in all of video games

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Sure. gently caress it. Even more additional damage cap.

I can awaken this thing ten times. I guess it might let me have fewer damage up sigils, but we still need those for maximum Combo B Bullshit to work so who knows. Maybe I can kill Bahamut 20s faster now?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Should I get this on PS5 or PC? I prefer PC, since the performance mode in the PS5 demo was a little disappointing to me, and I don't want to pay monthly for online play. However, I'd go with PS5 if the PC version matchmaking is worse than the PS5's

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
Wolf and veil really wasn't too bad with ai instead of people. The fight really just comes down to accepting that sometimes gallanza is occasionally going to just blow you up from across the arena off camera but otherwise should be ignored since he is going to get mad at io or something instead. Definitely a long fight though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

biceps crimes posted:

Should I get this on PS5 or PC? I prefer PC, since the performance mode in the PS5 demo was a little disappointing to me, and I don't want to pay monthly for online play. However, I'd go with PS5 if the PC version matchmaking is worse than the PS5's
There are match making problems on both platforms, I would avoid the monthly fee for now if it were me. Go with PC IMO

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

In retrospect I should have upgraded my starter crew more before I replayed the main story on Ultimate because that starter quakadile fight took like 15 minutes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What power level is assumed for Ultimate story anyway? You unlock it before The Grind really so I assume it expects you around 10k or so?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Probably around there or so, yeah. Issue was that I've been neglecting weapons and masteries for anyone not called Vaseraga, and you're forced to use the captain for the prologue and chapter 1.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
lmao found a team that can roll Proto Bahamut in under 4 minutes (did you know? the cheating mfer hard gates at 1HP until he has used Supernova) and we vote to repeat and then whoops black screen softlock

i wonder if that happened to the whole group or just me

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You can totally kill him pre Supernova.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ibblebibble posted:

Man just what are the drop rates on these special boss materials like vitality hoof and stuff like that anyway?

several parts are 0% drop rate unless/until you break a specific breakable part on the boss

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
For anyone else who plays the gacha game, any ideas who I should use the code to get? Eternals wise I've got Seox, Tweyen and Threo, though only Seox is 5* right now, and for the Evokers I've got Caim, Estarriola and have almost got Fraux.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah it's not uncommon even w. pubs to kill him from 60%.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Draga posted:

For anyone else who plays the gacha game, any ideas who I should use the code to get? Eternals wise I've got Seox, Tweyen and Threo, though only Seox is 5* right now, and for the Evokers I've got Caim, Estarriola and have almost got Fraux.

from the wiki:

So the eternal set doesn't give you the stuff to actually unlock an eternal, just to transcend them.You can't even access eternals transcendence until you've gone through the grind to recruit all 10 of them.

I'd go with the evoker set. It's more immediately useful to you and the non-farmable goodies are arguably more valuable, a sunstone + an evolite instead of a gold brick + lapis merit. The "eternal transcendence set" saves a lot more ingame grinding (and 40 revenant weapons!) but is only useful for later game players.

Of the evokers I'd probably grab Nier or Haaselia as they're both pretty useful even at 4*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

from the wiki:

So the eternal set doesn't give you the stuff to actually unlock an eternal, just to transcend them.You can't even access eternals transcendence until you've gone through the grind to recruit all 10 of them.

I'd go with the evoker set. It's more immediately useful to you and the non-farmable goodies are arguably more valuable, a sunstone + an evolite instead of a gold brick + lapis merit. The "eternal transcendence set" saves a lot more ingame grinding (and 40 revenant weapons!) but is only useful for later game players.

Of the evokers I'd probably grab Nier or Haaselia as they're both pretty useful even at 4*.

You can Transcend up to I believe level 1 transcendence without having all 10. But most of the eternals you're looking at you'd want to go farther, for sure, and if only Seox is 5*, he gets really good around 130.