Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sharkmafia posted:

huh, if this episode is any indication they were definitely concentrating on this part of the arc as opposed to the first test, animation wise

it's back to elaborate anime-original fight sequences

It makes sense as there is so much more room for dramatic fights then there was in the first exam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Still brief but with action, I definitely approve of the anime original. They could have just shot her from a distance with a seeking projectile.

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to next week's episode.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 36 hours!)

Frieren just having fun the whole time lol.
those mini-medals remind of the ones in DQ games.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Frieren as a whole is basically "what would the world look like thirty years after the hero of a Dragon Quest game died?"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Squidster posted:

A rich and hearty lol that the manga version of the clone Laufen fight was two panels long. This is ALL of it.

And the animation team turned it into this.
https://streamable.com/whzgsg

Our sinful species doesn't deserve an adaptation this good

the manga being lazy about fights (or rather not drawing out fights with entire chapters of nothing but fight scenes) gives the animators plenty of free space to just fill in whatever cool poo poo they want and i love it

see also: all three pages of the qual fight versus ep 3. it's impressive how much you can fit into a minute of animation

the extra "oh you can fly now" bit is nice

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 17, 2024

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

TwoPair posted:

Himmel's dark secret is he could've beaten the Demon King faster than 10 years but he really wanted to 100% every dungeon before fighting the boss.

sidequestitus having him roll up on the demon king 20 levels higher than what the encounter calls for.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Lamebot posted:

sidequestitus having him roll up on the demon king 20 levels higher than what the encounter calls for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4t7JnCW-48

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

duz posted:

You see it coming from a mile away but it's still hilarious.

I lol'd so hard as soon as it cut to Frieren crouching in front of a chest. So good. :allears:

I do like how we got both big action and big character this episode by splitting the duties between the multiple parties. I'm going to be so mad if Denken dies or fails.

Edit:

And of course Fluffdaddy immediately switches to drill Frieren.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 18, 2024

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

it was either that or the 80s idol pose she did after she got up and said lets pull ourselves together

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Hard choice.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I honestly laughed out loud at drill Frieren.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

love that the detect magic spell said its a mimic, but she still went for it reasoning that there's still a 1% chance its wrong.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

love that the detect magic spell said its a mimic, but she still went for it reasoning that there's still a 1% chance its wrong.

Getting eaten by 99 mimics is a small price to pay for the grimoire that's at the bottom of the real treasure chest.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Getting eaten by 99 mimics is a small price to pay for the grimoire that's at the bottom of the real treasure chest.

No one said the treasure has to be a grimoire, it could easily just be a simple potion for leather cap or whatever. So it's more like 1% times some other probably low %.

And that's not even getting into dupes :v:

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Squidster posted:

A rich and hearty lol that the manga version of the clone Laufen fight was two panels long. This is ALL of it.

And the animation team turned it into this.
https://streamable.com/whzgsg

Our sinful species doesn't deserve an adaptation this good

as an anime-only it's wild to see the comparison

imo it added a cool dimension that was only barely there in the manga in laufen fighting herself then watching her teammate kill "her"

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

GateOfD posted:

Look, when you live long enough to actually encounter that 1% you absolutely take that chance.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

frieren batfleck
🤝

acting with absolute certainty when there's a 1 percent chance

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Another change is Scharf knowing flowerbed magic. In the manga he just walked around with a couple of bouquets.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

GateOfD posted:

When you have a life as long as Frieren's, that 1% adds up to be a lot given that she encounters far more treasure chests over her life time compared to the average human. That's too many potential spells to leave behind.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

If she's just going to open the chest regardless, why bother with the detect spell at all?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Because it's funnier that way.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

dublish posted:

If she's just going to open the chest regardless, why bother with the detect spell at all?

Probably Fern casted it but Frieren just wants to believe.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

a spellbook that makes sure a chest is a mimic or not and shows what's inside it with 100% certainly.

the only grimoire that Frieren that burn all copies she comes across of

because its a spell that destroys dreams

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

stuker posted:

as an anime-only it's wild to see the comparison

imo it added a cool dimension that was only barely there in the manga in laufen fighting herself then watching her teammate kill "her"

I liked how the scene with Laufen fighting her clone shows how evenly matched a 1-on-1 fight would be, and that Denken was right about how everyone should work together.

Also, Methode sniping the clone through the rock wall was pretty badass :black101:

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I just realized they called him Richter because he controls earth(quakes).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

All the names are spot on descriptions in German, it's funny and may cause localization issues.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Frieren having to tell Fern how to get her out of the mimic implies this is the first time she's had to get her out but I thought we've seen Fern witness her getting eaten before unless I'm misremembering?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Jerkface posted:

acting with absolute certainty when there's a 1 percent chance
Pretty good odds, if you play Genshin Impact.

In the distant future, Frieren will invent gatcha games and become the richest woman in the world.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Frieren having to tell Fern how to get her out of the mimic implies this is the first time she's had to get her out but I thought we've seen Fern witness her getting eaten before unless I'm misremembering?

Maybe Frieren only figured it out recently herself (off-screen) on some solo adventure while Fern and Stark were hanging around town.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Sachant posted:

You're rocking my world.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

If Denken and co can actually beat this copy Frieren that mirrors her powers and abilities, does that mean we start calling her Fraudren?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Sachant posted:

He's also quite judgemental, so yeah. They basically worked backwards on those names to find the German word which is most descriptive to the person.

TwoPair posted:

Maybe Frieren only figured it out recently herself (off-screen) on some solo adventure while Fern and Stark were hanging around town.

You'd think in that case, she'd have figured that out a century or two ago. But maybe it was a really unlikely coincidence, like a wild boar came charging in and pushed her in before she had a chance to do her usual frizzy magic.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 18, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

You'd think in that case, she'd have figured that out a century or two ago. But maybe it was a really unlikely coincidence, like a wild boar came charging in and pushed her in before she had a chance to do her usual frizzy magic.

Remember that both the grimoire thing and the dungeon thing were inspired by Himmel, so she has barely 80 years of experience. From elf perspective she is basically still a noob.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I think the Grimiore thing comes mostly from Flamme, though. Himmel just knew how to push that particular button.

But maybe she never considered being thorough before.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did like fake Frieren showing up in exactly the same reveal as Frieren the Slayer.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Centzon Totochtin posted:

maybe pulling someone out of a mimic works it just takes a lot longer

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It’s easier to just pull Frieren out if you’re Stark

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Stark can probably hit a mimic just right where it kills it without harming anyone trapped in it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finally, getting caught up in the second cour and goddamn I love this OP2. Absolute top-tier banger. I watch it through in full each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finally, getting caught up in the second cour and goddamn I love this OP2. Absolute top-tier banger. I watch it through in full each time.

It grew on me pretty quickly and I'm really enjoying it now.