Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012

Buce posted:

ah, but you're forgetting the appeal on the grounds of "judge energon is transtifa plant"

Fishing for a chudge may work in other circumstances, but the odds of pulling a true believer in that jurisdiction willing to completely blow their career up for Trump don't seem that good tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Blind Rasputin posted:

Trump is hosed, even if he could raise the money appealing will do nothing but waste said money.

Trump, burning money?!

No, no, he'd never do a thing like that

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Froghammer posted:

Is Miyazaki a feet guy?

...good for him. Low-key I respect it.

Now that you know, go back and play any of the Soulsbornering games with that knowledge and it is Tarantino-level obvious.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

saintonan posted:

So is that a Trump stamp?

If it were on the belly it'd be a Trump stump.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Neodymium posted:

Fishing for a chudge may work in other circumstances, but the odds of pulling a true believer in that jurisdiction willing to completely blow their career up for Trump don't seem that good tbh.

my god, a jurisdiction where someone can't Roy Cohn themselves out of trouble? what is this world coming to

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

bobjr posted:

These people would never even go to NYC and likely imagine it as if it’s The Warriors.

Also any city over a certain size.

As an upstate New York resident, I agree 100%

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Imagine sucking so bad that accomplished less than a guy who died a month into the job, and lost in popularity to a fat dude who got stuck in a bathtub.

HEY! William Howard Taft is the only person who ever served as both the US president and a Supreme Court Justice. You keep his fat name out of your mouth hole.

Also he's #23 which is fine.

ETA:

morningdrew posted:

"THE BIDEN DOJ IS TREATING ME LIKE NAVALNY" is sure something

Great, now Putin has to show up and intimidate Trump into sulkiness again.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

CannonFodder posted:

Banging a trash can is still technically thinking about baseball for Astros fans.

My dumb rear end thought this was a Doug (Funnie) joke at first.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

CannonFodder posted:

Banging a trash can is still technically thinking about baseball for Astros fans.

lmao

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

So does the failure to file with the Supreme Court mean they won't hear the case now? Does the DC trial still have to wait for them to respond?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Captain Fargle posted:

So does the failure to file with the Supreme Court mean they won't hear the case now? Does the DC trial still have to wait for them to respond?

The filing was for presidential immunity in civil cases. Supreme Court still has to decide if it wants to take up the case of immunity in criminal cases.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Blind Rasputin posted:

To be specific, it did not originally have a jury, because it is not that kind of case. However, they can petition for a jury trial, just by asking for one, and they would have gotten it if they had asked. They did not ask. Either side could ask technically. Yes, it certainly was Hanna’s job to ask and her gently caress up for either not knowing that or forgetting to. Their MO is to scream the lie louder than the truth. So, “we weren’t given a jury” was screamed very loudly. I expect the same for, “they made it impossible to appeal.”

It's highly unlikely that a jury would have changed anything though, what they are basically saying is a jury should have had a chance to nullify a judgement based on what they feel the law should be and their positive feeling about Trump, not what the actual law is.

Trump factually committed fraud, Trump is operating under the legal theory that if the bank doesn't file a complaint everything is fine as long as he feels the vibes from the false financial statements he made, which is not a real legal theory. People/companies are absolutely charged with fraud all the time by making misleading statements to lenders. It's rare, but it's one of those things where they have to make lessons out of people/companies with some regularity to keep people honest and it isn't any less fraudulent just because Trump crossed his fingers when he did it.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

kazil posted:

The filing was for presidential immunity in civil cases. Supreme Court still has to decide if it wants to take up the case of immunity in criminal cases.

Damnit.

Well at least he's proved so far that civil cases can set him back 83 million for defamation.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrMojok posted:

There is absolutely no reason the SA Awful Trump Thread posters cannot file a class-action suit.

As we are, of course, very, very nasty people, people who treat him very unfairly.

I'm in.

When he did his little pose behind the table full of cold fast food, and then went on twitter talking about how many berders he bought i laughed so hard my ribs hurt. I demand compensation.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Looks like she's going for his nussy.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

elon is probably going to bail trump out, tbh

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Buce posted:

elon is probably going to bail trump out, tbh

Why would he?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Elon's such a shitbird, and so public about his shitbirdery, that him bailing out Trump would be hilarious. He'd forever be telling people how he bailed out the President and how Trump owes him, and Trump's fragile ego about people getting bigger publicity than him would make him shriek about how Elon didn't really do anything, no puppet, NO PUPPET.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Esplanade posted:

Looks like she's going for his nussy.

It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab ’em by the nussy. You can do anything.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I doubt musk has the liquid assets to bail trump out

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Musk isn't going to bail Trump out because Trump didn't come back to Twitter even after he unbanned him.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
they still haven't articulated what they'll appeal on, "i don't like the outcome" is not grounds for appeal.

Three Olives posted:

It's highly unlikely that a jury would have changed anything though, what they are basically saying is a jury should have had a chance to nullify a judgement based on what they feel the law should be and their positive feeling about Trump, not what the actual law is.

Trump factually committed fraud, Trump is operating under the legal theory that if the bank doesn't file a complaint everything is fine as long as he feels the vibes from the false financial statements he made, which is not a real legal theory. People/companies are absolutely charged with fraud all the time by making misleading statements to lenders. It's rare, but it's one of those things where they have to make lessons out of people/companies with some regularity to keep people honest and it isn't any less fraudulent just because Trump crossed his fingers when he did it.
didn't the judge make habba acknowledge this in court?

yeah there it is:

quote:

In the ongoing New York fraud case, the state is seeking $250 million in disgorgement, a kind of equitable remedy that is a clawback of ill-gotten gains — the amount of benefit that the state says Trump and the co-defendants personally received from alleged fraud. Authorities cannot ask a jury to make that kind of calculation.

"That leaves it up to the judge," Engoron said.
Engoron earned the gratitude of one Trump lawyer who has insisted the lack of a jury was not due to an oversight.

"I would like to say thank you, your honor," said attorney Alina Habba, before turning to reporters in the gallery. "Press, did you hear that? I didn't forget to check the box."

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1759731013352096103

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

yes 100%, because losing a defamation and civil business case are exactly the same as Nelson Mandela

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/prchovanec/stat...%5Es1_&ref_url=
this is why the GOP is gonna lose. all their talking points is this poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

First they came for the brazenly criminal, but I said yay! About time.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

yes 100%, because losing a defamation and civil business case are exactly the same as Nelson Mandela

Wonder if Trump will die in prison like Mandela

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Elon's such a shitbird, and so public about his shitbirdery, that him bailing out Trump would be hilarious. He'd forever be telling people how he bailed out the President and how Trump owes him, and Trump's fragile ego about people getting bigger publicity than him would make him shriek about how Elon didn't really do anything, no puppet, NO PUPPET.

They're both so loving pathetically petty it would be pretty funny. Trump desperately needs cash to cover the appeals, but having to admit it and take a huge cash payment from some billionaires would shoot a massive hole in his image as a "rich successful businessman." Though his worshipers will happily pretend it never happened or if it did happen it doesn't mean he sold out or if he did sell out it's okay because...

Also I feel like a lot of MAGA still hates Elon because "Electric Cars", I suspect most aren't quite in tune with his hard right turn online and don't give a poo poo.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
tbh if Elon wanted to bail me out of millions I'd take his idiot money too, just a smart move. I I won't give you any favors about it bitch lmao thanks for the cash

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Ah gently caress yeah that’s the good stuff

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Marxist Marxist Marxist Marxist Marxist. Just keep saying Marxist until everybody under the age of 50 goes uhhh so wait why's everyone so pants-shittingly afraid of this one magic killing word, maybe I'll look it up

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Don as a bad dad would never accept a failson* offering him money, especially not one as pathetic as musk.

*though ordering his actual blood relative failsons to sell their organs is a non zero possibility

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

kazil posted:

Wonder if Trump will die in prison like Mandela

Qaddafi died better than turmp deserves, however.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:fap: :bisonyes:

Let him watch as his empire falls.

I'd bust a nut to footage of them removing his name from Trump Tower.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Harry_Potato posted:

My bunghole, it will speak now! It goes RAKA-TAKA! RAKA-TAKA! And then sometimes it goes Toko-too-wa! Bwa-Bwa-Bwa! Pbbbllltttt!!!!

Pretty good tattoo if tattooed so the anus is his puckered lips.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Toxic Mental posted:

lol He absolutely doesn't have $450 million in liquid cash

Honestly there are probably 10 people in the world that could do that and even that number might be a little high. There are a couple dozen more that can probably move around enough wealth to get that cash within a week. Trump is not one of them.

:lol: If he sells off assets to cover these costs they likely will carry some stiff capital gains taxes as well, twisting that knife.

Unfortunately that's click bait. He could probably cobble together a bunch of less interesting assets with less of a tax hit to reach that number. Losing a golf club or two might be a reality though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah with how much musk wants to suck up to the far right, I could see him "donating" a bunch of money to trump under a verbal understanding that he'll come back to twitter. Then of course trump won't as he doesn't even honour written contract let alone a bs verbal one. And it would show he's not "beholden" to anyone and a very strong man and not weak at all, and all that crap.

Plus randomly screwing over people just for shits and giggles is sort of trumps thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

InsertPotPun posted:

they still haven't articulated what they'll appeal on, "i don't like the outcome" is not grounds for appeal.

I have the worst goddamn attorneys

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
In a very odd reversal of fortune donald trumps legal bills will be paid for by former Gawker Ceo Nick Denton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:nallears:

I mean, they say stupid stuff like this intentionally for the engagement... but still. People fall for this.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 20, 2024