Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Which companies are getting the contracts for all of this?

edit: 268 is the smallest number whose product of digits is 6 times the sum of its digits.... i have no idea what this means but it sounds cool. :thumbsup:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
loving management consultant King. Change the logo, sack 30% of the workforce. Next up change the name of the country to something loving stupid.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

keep punching joe posted:

loving management consultant King. Change the logo, sack 30% of the workforce. Next up change the name of the country to something loving stupid.

United King Charlesdom.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Police forces should send the bill to Charlie Boy. What an utter waste of public money.
If he really thought of it & some bunch of marketing folk didn't just suggest it, he probably has no idea of the consequences (financial) of doing this. Or possibly just expected new stuff to be using the new logo not existing stock.

(This sort of thing used to happen all the time in the NHS when I worked there, every time there was a reorganisation or whatever, new logo (£50k to get a different shade of blue or different shaped heart etc, new stationery, etc.)

The crown change isn't a marketing thing or some idea cooked up by Charles himself. It's a typically (stupid) British semi-tradition that doesn't really exist but a few people really care about, that you have different heraldic crowns for Kings and Queens. And this ancient tradition started in...1952.

The traditional heraldic symbol for 'the British Crown' was the flat-topped Tudor Crown. Queen Victoria had a new Imperial State Crown (with the arched top) made for her coronation and that was the one she wore for state/imperial occasions and which became the heraldic symbol of 'the crown' during her reign. Edward VII went back to the Tudor Crown, as did George, Edward and George after him. Liz 2 chose to adopt the Imperial State Crown as her heraldic symbol, because it was used by the last queen. Now it's become a thing among royalist/heraldry weirdos and so we're going back to a 'king's crown', although since the foreseeable future line of succession is all kings then if the changes are made they won't be redundant if Charles does shuffle off quickly.

And yes, I was in the NHS when they slightly changed the shade of blue for the Trust logo and so we suddenly had piles and piles of stationery etc. that was officially unusable now...

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

The UK is going to be rebranded as Excelsior Service Solutions, and will be offering dynamic AI driven solutions to other nation states. To stay change-ready and cost effective, a third of its citizens are to be made redundant (minced into a fine slurry and tipped into the north sea).

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Am I just getting annoyed at this the same way people get annoyed at gaelic road signs. Like are the going to actually replace everything with the original heraldry or just replace stuff as and when required?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Sadsack posted:

The UK is going to be rebranded as Excelsior Service Solutions, and will be offering dynamic AI driven solutions to other nation states. To stay change-ready and cost effective, a third of its citizens are to be made redundant (minced into a fine slurry and tipped into the north sea).

At this point I'd volunteer to be part of the slurry-class.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Apparently it's the old queen's fault. She changed it, the king is just changing it back to what it was before.

He's been seething about this for half a century, now he's finally got his chance.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Am I just getting annoyed at this the same way people get annoyed at gaelic road signs. Like are the going to actually replace everything with the original heraldry or just replace stuff as and when required?

I've said it before but this reminded me, we Irish didn't even bother replacing all the Royal branded postboxes, just painted 'em green. It's neat to spot ones from the Victorian era

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Keith has u turned on the citizens assemblies in under 24 hours

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What's the fastest u-turn Labour have had yet under starmer? Are there any policies that have lasted less than an hour for example?

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

He's been seething about this for half a century, now he's finally got his chance.

The comedy option would be for William, once Charles has succumbed to turbo butt cancer, to change it back. But for some reason I can't picture Will having that sort of burning need to change things for change's sake.

To be honest I cant imagine him having strong opinions about anything really, aside from prostate stimulation. He seems like a complete void of a human being.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've said it before but this reminded me, we Irish didn't even bother replacing all the Royal branded postboxes, just painted 'em green. It's neat to spot ones from the Victorian era

Why waste a good box?

A lick of paint and it's good to go.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sadsack posted:

The comedy option would be for William, once Charles has succumbed to turbo butt cancer, to change it back. But for some reason I can't picture Will having that sort of burning need to change things for change's sake.

A bit of a tangent, but I've noticed in the year-or-so since Charles has been In Charge that the idea that he'll be the one to reform, modernise and slim-down the monarchy has completely vanished. You'd often hear stuff along the lines of "oh, Elizabeth is a product of the 1930s and carries the shock of the Abdication in her approach to the monarchy, and when she became queen we still had an empire and it was a very different world. You can't expect things to change under her. Charles will be the one to update the institution for the 21st century and make it more like the other European monarchies - less grand, fewer hangers-on and less gaudy ceremonial flim-flam."

Now it's all "oh, he respects his Dear Ma-Ma too much to really change things and a lot of people feel that the monarchy is the only unchanging, traditional institution they've got to cling to in a chaotic and scary world, so we can't expect Charles to do much. Wait until William, the millenial prince, takes over and then we'll see the monarchy change..."

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
He got rid of Harry and Andrew.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He got rid of Harry and Andrew.

He barely got rid of Andrew. He can't be too strict on him publicly because it'll make him look like a hypocrite when it's revealed he's a child fucker too.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PriorMarcus posted:

He barely got rid of Andrew. He can't be too strict on him publicly because it'll make him look like a hypocrite when it's revealed he's a child fucker too.

"I can support King Nonce, but not if he's a hypocrite!"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

edit: 268 is the smallest number whose product of digits is 6 times the sum of its digits.... i have no idea what this means but it sounds cool. :thumbsup:

(2+6+8)*6=2*6*8

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

"I can support King Nonce, but not if he's a hypocrite!"

Polly Toynbee posted:

Charles showed the nation how to respond to accusations like these with his delicate handling of Andrew, now it's time we repaid the generosity with our handling of the King himself.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

BalloonFish posted:

A bit of a tangent, but I've noticed in the year-or-so since Charles has been In Charge that the idea that he'll be the one to reform, modernise and slim-down the monarchy has completely vanished. You'd often hear stuff along the lines of "oh, Elizabeth is a product of the 1930s and carries the shock of the Abdication in her approach to the monarchy, and when she became queen we still had an empire and it was a very different world. You can't expect things to change under her. Charles will be the one to update the institution for the 21st century and make it more like the other European monarchies - less grand, fewer hangers-on and less gaudy ceremonial flim-flam."

Now it's all "oh, he respects his Dear Ma-Ma too much to really change things and a lot of people feel that the monarchy is the only unchanging, traditional institution they've got to cling to in a chaotic and scary world, so we can't expect Charles to do much. Wait until William, the millenial prince, takes over and then we'll see the monarchy change..."

I don't think he was ever inclined to change things for the better or to slim things down. He payed lip service to environmentalism, but I think that's as far as his progressive streak went. I suspect he was always more interested in reinforcing or even increasing the 'dignity' of the institution. He wanted to be top dog for so bloody long. Now that he is he wants to make the most of it.

The possibility of a slimmed down monarchy like the Netherlands or Denmark is dependent entirely on Charlie and Billy popping their clogs and Harry getting the job. And in that situation the tabloids would go thermonuclear and kick up a real poo poo storm.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Labour's playing silly buggers over genocide again:

https://x.com/guardian/status/1759922626883907862?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sadsack posted:

The possibility of a slimmed down monarchy like the Netherlands or Denmark is dependent entirely on Charlie and Billy popping their clogs and Harry getting the job. And in that situation the tabloids would go thermonuclear and kick up a real poo poo storm.

Wouldn't he have to kill Billy's kids to get the job tho?

Is this Scotland Yard's official position?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

What's the fastest u-turn Labour have had yet under starmer? Are there any policies that have lasted less than an hour for example?

It's still uncertain, but scientists are keeping a close eye as the Labour policy with a sufficiently short half-life will revolutionise the UK's energy industry.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think if you look closely the new crown has one less dot on it, which will make it cheaper to reproduce on items and is therefore a positive change no I will not take any questions

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Wtf is the difference?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

quote:

While the amendment backs a “humanitarian ceasefire”, it clarifies that it does not want Israel to stop fighting as long as Hamas continues to threaten violence.

The amendment calls for “an immediate humanitarian ceasefire, which means an immediate stop to the fighting and a ceasefire that lasts and is observed by all sides, noting that Israel cannot be expected to cease fighting if Hamas continues with violence and that Israelis have the right to the assurance that the horror of 7th October cannot happen again”.

It also calls on the Israelis not to enter Rafah, where 1.5 million people are sheltering; for aid to be allowed to enter Gaza; for Israeli settler violence to end, and for a diplomatic effort towards a two-state solution.

I am still not entirely sure what that means exactly in practice, which might be the whole point

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I think the primary difference might be "it was not written by the SNP, eww icky nat cooties"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

An unconditional ceasefire denies Israel's right to do as it pleases to Hamas. Keith is asking Israel nothing more.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Charles will unilaterally rename Northern Ireland to "we are out of the office until Thursday, please contact Maeve with any questions about translations" without understanding why. Joe Biden will sign off on it.

xtothez posted:

It's still uncertain, but scientists are keeping a close eye as the Labour policy with a sufficiently short half-life will revolutionise the UK's energy industry.
"Now I am become Keith, the Destroyer of Words" - Oppenstarmer

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't see anywhere discussing the cost of this poo poo, except for the .gov website assuring people the cost of updating it on that website came out of already budgeted running cost.

To be fair, I updated the logo on our work's website yesterday and it took less than 5 mins (once someone sent me the proper image not a pdf file!) though I guess gov.uk doesn't use wordpress LOL

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

He's desperate to leave some kind of mark on the country before he carks it, isn't he.

Wonder how long the docs have told him he's likely to last.

He can commission more post boxes like every other fucker.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Monstrous.

Andrew Roberts, UK House of Lords, praises the IDF for how many Palestinians it has killed. Not a parody.

https://x.com/mockgoose/status/1759728740840411412?s=20

Rebuttal (technically correct. Technically. Not morally.)

https://x.com/peterrhague/status/1759926304156103028?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 20, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

To be fair, I updated the logo on our work's website yesterday and it took less than 5 mins (once someone sent me the proper image not a pdf file!) though I guess gov.uk doesn't use wordpress LOL

It's probably normal to send a logo as a vector file rather than an image so it can be scaled accordingly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's probably normal to send a logo as a vector file rather than an image so it can be scaled accordingly.

Yeah but I got sent it as a pdf. Had to explain I can't extract an image from a PDF file and use as our website logo without it looking like a piece of crap. Eventually managed to get a high res PNG (which was the best I could get).

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wouldn't he have to kill Billy's kids to get the job tho?

Is this Scotland Yard's official position?

The Met's child killing policy only extends to black and Asian ones.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Angepain posted:

I think the primary difference might be "it was not written by the SNP, eww icky nat cooties"

According to anonymous X comments, it removes all references to 'collective punishment', as that's a war crime so it is antisemitic to suggest it, and also adds a clause so the Israeli government gets a veto on any decisions.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah but I got sent it as a pdf. Had to explain I can't extract an image from a PDF file and use as our website logo without it looking like a piece of crap. Eventually managed to get a high res PNG (which was the best I could get).

If it comes up again and the PDF does contain a vector image you can use Illustrator, Inkscape or similar software to open the PDF and export a raster image at any resolution you like.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
We need a ceasefire = 'stop killing people, it's bad'
We need a humanitarian ceasefire = 'it would be kind of you to stop killing for a while, justified though you are'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

If it comes up again and the PDF does contain a vector image you can use Illustrator, Inkscape or similar software to open the PDF and export a raster image at any resolution you like.

I was also thinking irfanview might do that but it's been a long time since I had to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
We would like to have voted for the ceasefire but the dastardly snp made it impossible with their legally problematic wording with such phrases as 'collective punishment' and 'crimes against humanity' :qqsay:

OzyMandrill posted:

According to anonymous X comments, it removes all references to 'collective punishment', as that's a war crime so it is antisemitic to suggest it, and also adds a clause so the Israeli government gets a veto on any decisions.

Lol, ceasefire unless Israel says nope.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 20, 2024