Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Baron von Eevl posted:

Camp is good but RtGO is like funko pop level cringe.

Yeah I couldn't get through it. I love camp and am all for camp but RtGO was made during the bad mid 2000's where omg spork was reigning supreme. Wouldn't mind a remake though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The other Repo is successfully weird and campy. It has a surgery sex scene that’s way hornier and more explicit than Crimes of the Future for crying out loud.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

give me Repo Man. ordinary fuckin people!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Harry Dean Stanton, finding himself in Repo: the Genetic Opera: hey kid, you gotta help me get out of this BAD MOVIE.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

REPO: THE GENETIC OPERA is one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nevermore Film Festival is this weekend in my town, got to see sci-fi/horror comedy Eye of the Salamander tonight, here's my review (links work on letterboxd, not updating all of them for bbcode):

quote:

Eye of the Salamander, an indie film shot in my hometown and screened at the Nevermore Film Festival 2024. View the trailer here. Review follows:

This is a tough one to give two stars to. There's clearly a lot of passion for filmmaking and some of it works really, really well. Doctor Hiscok is charming and the cleaning montage at the beginning is genuinely funny. But something has gone dreadfully wrong, and I have to lay it at the feet of Pavel Nikolajev, the director, for not managing the tone and look of the thing, and generally giving "Community Theater Director" vibes to the whole affair.

The plot is pretty standard - Curator at a museum experiments with a new piece late at night and is transported to an Aztek pyramid on Mars, where he is tormented by Xolotl, the Aztec Salamander God. As one does.

So far, so fun. I cannot give enough praise to Nightmare Factory for their work on Xolotl, it's a 100% practical rig that nails the "Insane Biomechanical Doom Monster" feel of an ancient god, and it is on full display through much of the movie.

Unfortunately, after the initial encounter with Oxlotl, the movie is reduced to extended running and screaming through dark hallways. This goes on approximately way too long before becoming a poor man's Primer or Looper, only to end with a generic rooftop showdown.

Hiscok plays everything so broad and silly you think it's a sci-fi comedy trying to be the next Ghostbusters (more on that in a minute) but then there's decapitations and endless foul language from the understandably-stressed museum employee. If they cleaned up the language, this could be a PG-rated kid's sci-fi film like The Gate or something.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this: At the very end, during the rooftop showdown, Xolotl is chroma-keyed in, and they have undercranked the chroma'd action to give Xolotl the look of being a stop-motion puppet just like Gozer's dogs at the end of Ghostbusters. It's an incredibly sincere homage but at the same time it makes this amazing practical suit look almost laughably bad and it makes me cringe.

Between the tone being all over the place, the irritating and constant film-school mistakes like ignoring the 180° rule or just the general looseness of the editing where every.single.shot. goes on juuust a fraction of second too long (it doesn't sound like much but when someone walks out of a room, closes the door behind them and then the camera hangs on the closed door in an empty room for a half-second before cutting to action elsewhere, you feel it even if you don't know it), I gotta give this a thumbs-in-the-downish-direction even if it isn't a truly negative review.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

im rewatching the genetic opera now and lol

god

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Hatewatching a movie you know you already don't like is bad for your skin!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

im having a great time laughing at it

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Hatewatching a movie you know you already don't like is bad for your skin!

dont worry thats why i wear someone elses when i watch horror movies

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

bill mosely is actually embarrassing in this.

how do you do this to bill. He's a national treasure.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

CelticPredator posted:

I say dumb because I don’t like these IP movie games being multiplayer only. I’d love a KK game that was about bein a Klown like destroy all humans

Give me a be the monster or be the survivor options in single player and I'll be happy. I've had it happen too many times where at the start, I had a crowd to play with only to have a stint of too much going on to play and when I come back, everyone's moved on. Also had it too many times where I couldn't afford the game when it came out and by the time I could, everyone's moved on.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

dont worry thats why i wear someone elses when i watch horror movies

Haha missed you brother

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

M_Sinistrari posted:

Give me a be the monster or be the survivor options in single player and I'll be happy. I've had it happen too many times where at the start, I had a crowd to play with only to have a stint of too much going on to play and when I come back, everyone's moved on. Also had it too many times where I couldn't afford the game when it came out and by the time I could, everyone's moved on.

100%

allthough helldivers is super fun. so hopefully it doesnt die soon

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

M_Sinistrari posted:

The Friday the 13th game was like this with regards to "wait too long and you miss it". Near launch it was awesome to play with everyone into it and there being a depth of challenge, co-ordination and fun.

Played it again last year and not only has everyone left but it's filled with people who know EVERY single little flaw, detail and shortcoming and just gang-up on people who don't. Just classic late-stage online gaming right before the plug gets pulled and yes I know that's what's happening to this game.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It got wiped from the severs now

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

databasic posted:

which is your favorite ‘Repo’: (1) the 1984 punk classic pseudo sci fi film featuring Emilio Estevez or (2) the 2008 original LA stage production-turned-cinematic rock opera featuring a balls-to-the-walls all star cast that still throws me for a loop.

please do not mention the Jude law film. i do not want to tell you why because it doesn’t matter and is funnier that way.

Both those movies unquestionably suck. Genetic Opera made me want to deafen myself like the one serial killer from Baki.

Though I will say the good and stupid Emilio Estevez body snatching movie is Freejack (1992).

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Freejack owns.

Mick Jagger with a tank out of nowhere.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The laptop popping open by itself with a cackling Mick on it just sends me every time

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gonz posted:

Freejack owns.

Mick Jagger with a tank out of nowhere.

That’s also the movie with a laser gun that sounds like James Brown.

https://youtu.be/NMR-RgH86y4?si=p-TdiZaykz0nj4Q-

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

What the gently caress : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPwD8MSkioE

I feel like this is making fun of me somehow. Like A24 made this as a parody of some of my tastes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's not an A24 movie. I'm not actually sure what it is given that this channel mostly just posts montages of lovely AI imagery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_ODm7Mg0dU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's not an A24 movie. I'm not actually sure what it is given that this channel mostly just posts montages of lovely AI imagery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_ODm7Mg0dU

That makes more sense and I should get my credulity tested.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Magic Hate Ball posted:

BIGFOOT IS REAL! 👣 NEW PROOF

Bigfoot is a lost Indian tribe. Photo proof by Edward. S. Curtis who hid these photographs from the Bureau of Indian Affairs Records Archive so that the tribe was never documented.
Curtis spent 30 years documenting over 80 Native American tribes in the early 1900s.

This forgotten tribe of recluse people are rarely seen today. They have maintained their shy existence and ancient traditions by hiding in the vast forests and cave networks of the American wilderness.

This forgotten tribe is the so-called Bigfoot or Sasquatch.

These rediscovered and restored photographs prove 'Bigfoot' is actually a secret tribe of Native Americans.

The HISTORY® Channel, a division of A+E Networks, is the premier destination for historical storytelling. From best-in-class documentary events, to a signature slate of industry leading nonfiction series and premium fact-based scripted programming, The HISTORY® Channel serves as the most trustworthy source of informational entertainment in media. The HISTORY® channel has been named the #1 U.S. TV network in buzz for seven consecutive years by YouGov BrandIndex, and a top favorite TV network by Beta Research Corporation. For a deeper dive, visit history.com or follow @history on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and TikTok.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sexy French Hallucination

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

hon hoon hoon

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Doltos posted:

Yeah I couldn't get through it. I love camp and am all for camp but RtGO was made during the bad mid 2000's where omg spork was reigning supreme. Wouldn't mind a remake though.

Thing about that is Invader Zim holds up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

At least I found a name for my jazz quintet.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
invader zim is... timeless

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
so is johnny the homicidal maniac... love that guy

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

The animation alone is way ahead of it's time.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Stopmotion was very interesting. Need to marinate on it for a bit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dark Harvest is an incredible piece of horror that still works to this day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9f0IoyRLVA

This episode disturbed me as a kid and that’s when it went from “this show is really cool” to “this show will define me creatively for the rest of my life”

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Even the nurse?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I think Invader Zim gets too much hate for being omg spork when it isn't quite that. Zim is pretty much a megalomaniac alien invader less so than a random yeller. GIR was a straight forward quirky sidekick. Only Gaz was kind of a product of the era since she's basically just a scene kid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

me to my friends and family: You need to see this hilarious scene where this hosed up blob creature with boobs on it's head cries about being genetically modified to a point where no one even remembers what it even was, and it's pleading for help

stupid hot topic people: LOL I LIKE TACOS LOL WEEEE DANCE AND PIGS!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

me to my friends and family: You need to see this hilarious scene where this hosed up blob creature with boobs on it's head cries about being genetically modified to a point where no one even remembers what it even was, and it's pleading for help

stupid hot topic people: LOL I LIKE TACOS LOL WEEEE DANCE AND PIGS!

*in a Homer Simpson talking to Milhouses Dad about the racecar bed voice*

I watched this show as a kid and thought it was funny

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i like the episode where zim gets lost in the city and robs a bank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

watching life. Calvin is such a fun little poo poo alien. Idgf if its logical he can figure that all out , its fun to see him do his thing lol