Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

keep punching joe posted:

Why has Hoyle not resigned yet? There's like 70 MPs demanding he resign which surely makes his position untenable even if he technically can stay in place.

70 MPs is nowhere near untenable levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
mandatory multiple v?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

mandatory multiple v?

Vaccination. Although you are encouraged to substitute in alternative Vs.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

when did hoyle start doing his job so obviously shitfaced

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what a loving disgrace

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

when did hoyle start doing his job so obviously shitfaced

Last week was the first time folk seemed to notice

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
interesting given hoyle banned the sale of alcohol in the hoc

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

If I'd been blackmailed and/or bribed into enabling an ongoing genocide in such a public way, I'd probably be drinking a lot too

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Hoyle is a shithead for plenty of reasons, but he's not enabling genocide.

Israel is carrying out the genocide and they don't care what a bunch of entitled cunts in Westminster says about it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

kingturnip posted:

Israel is carrying out the genocide and they don't care what a bunch of entitled cunts in Westminster says about it.

Hard disagree. We are using our RAF and Navy to help enable the genocide. We are using our political power as a permanent member of the security council to block UN resolutions calling for a ceasefire. We are selling a ridiculous amount of weaponry and targeting systems that are currently killing civilians trapped in the world's largest concentration camp.

We had a chance to set a political stance that could then spread into arms embargos, the withdrawal of our own military from enabling the genocide and to use our international political power to call for a ceasefire.

Hoyle purposefully enabled diluting the SNPs message, omitting stuff about collective action etc.

Israel will carry on the genocide while it has Western backing and aid. As soon as that stops, the genocide will stop.

Ergo: Hoyle helped enable the genocide. Genocide enabling is a collective action. He's not solely responsible for the genocide or our part in it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

Why has Hoyle not resigned yet? There's like 70 MPs demanding he resign which surely makes his position untenable even if he technically can stay in place.

what are they gonna do? the whole of Parliament is basically a lame duck session right now, all he has to do is sit tight and soon enough there'll be a whole load of new Labour MPs to back him up

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is exactly why I don't give a poo poo about Keir Starmer's opinions on Israel/Palestine.

It's not that I don't care about the people stuck in Gaza, it's that if Keith says "Israel should be allowed to cut off the water" then we know he's lying as a human rights barrister and everyone also thinks he's a oval office, and if he says "Labour will create a new state of Palestine" while u-turning then we know he's lying as a u-turning poo poo and everyone also thinks he's a oval office.

It's the exact same poo poo as when he said "BLM are Marxists who want to abolish the police" one day, echoing a KKK conspiracy flyer, and then after pissing everyone off did the most unconvincing taking of the knee far away from any protesters, pissing everyone off.

If would even be preferable if he gave a nothingburger answer and segued into some solid domestic economic policy, but he has none of those either.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No, my uncle works at the UN and they definitely print their agendas on poo poo copier paper in draft quality.

Anyway:

https://web.archive.org/web/20240226132916/https://www.economist.com/britain/2024/01/11/the-housing-ladder-1950-2005

The economist: The housing ladder is a myth, look how hosed the housing market is.

Also the economist: We need bigger landlords.

One of my biggest bugbears is the whole subtle propaganda machine behind the simple phrase "property ladder". I've literally lost friends on FB over criticising use of this phrase as in "who says it has to be a ladder" etc (and of course none of my American friends have a clue what it means so they jump in with their criticisms of me criticising it too).

Tesseraction posted:

I heard about both but only via discord. There's some decent coverage of it on blue sky as well.

One of the Palestinian journalists I follow posted it - and a photo but couldn't see much only the flames and a figure in them - on FB who have currently threatened him with a ban for who knows what reason.* (I mean I pretty much know why!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 26, 2024

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

kingturnip posted:

we could stop the usa and israel using the base in cyprus for example

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's because you're supposed to buy a starter home, pay it off, start a family and sell your starter to put money down on a bigger house, so the next couple along can afford your previous home while you get more space.

Narrator: This has never been how it actually worked.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jel Shaker posted:

Is it within Parliment's purview to make legislation mandating that, or is that reserved for a government minister? If they can, is there a reason the SNP hasn't suggested something so concrete? I ask this sincerely and non-sarcastically. (I read this sentence a few times and it sounds like I'm being a smug rhetorical guy but I'm not.)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Private Speech posted:

Conspiracy theorists must be genuinely severely mentally ill, I have no idea how you can look at that list and go "yes this sounds legit", regardless of whatever political opinions you might have.

A Good post I saved in my notes a while back that was a lightbulb moment for how it works:

'supermechagodzilla" posted:

Very few conspiracy theorists actually believe their theories. They may have a deep inner conviction, but it’s almost never reflected in their actions.

For example, with the ‘pizzagate’ conspiracy theory about child slaves locked in a restaurant basement, only one guy attacked the restaurant with an assault rifle and demanded to see the basement. You might call him the most extreme and insane of the bunch, but think of how many people voiced a deep inner conviction that children were being held at a specific address - easily accessible to the public with zero security - and did absolutely nothing about it. That’s fuckin’ crazy. There’s a massive gulf between their words and their actions.

The thing to understand is that conspiracy theories are more like an elaborate metaphorical language. The phrase “forest fires are caused by Jewish space lasers”, spoken by a conspiracy theorist, is not expressing a belief - like that space lasers are real, or even that global warming isn’t real. What’s being voiced is a lack of belief, a complete indifference. The “space laser” simply stands for this void. It could be anything, because the conspiracy theorist is working backward from the conclusion: “global warming is not subjectively real to me.” The ‘space laser’ is purposefully remote, invisible, and silly.

Likewise, the figure of the Jew is evoked to express an indifference to systemic failings and injustices inherent to capitalism.

When you see this indifference proclaimed loudly and constantly, as is the paradox with conspiracy theorists, it’s because they are reacting against assertions (either actual or perceived) that they are supposed to care. They might feel an overwhelming social pressure to, say, mourn the victims of 9/11. But they don’t feel sad and, therefore, the planes were holograms. They aren’t impressed by the moon landing, therefore it was faked by Kubrick. The point is to draw an equivalence: this event is as real to me as a movie.

So when you see all the maddening conspiracy tweets here, it’s useful to know that these people are aware - on at least some level - that what they’re saying is just absolutely moronic. That’s the point. It’s a mask for a more mundane complacency towards fascism.

SRQ posted:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The fact that more of these people aren't actually radicalizing to the point of violence expresses a deep cowardice. For them to actually believe what they say they do, violence becomes an ethical and in fact morally obliged response. (Thankfully) they're all cowards though and don't truly believe these things, they're just playing a rhetorical game of chicken with eachother and using increasingly violent discourse to try and prove they're the Real Patriot (idiot edgelord). Except sometimes someone actually takes it for real, and then you get the pizzagate shooting.
——

‘Cowardice’ would imply that they being held back from acting on their beliefs due to fear or something, when that’s not the case. The truth is that they simply don’t believe it at all.

The ‘reason’ for that rhetorical gamesmanship is, again, that conspiracy theorists are speaking a particular language based heavily on metaphor and context cues. Translated into plain English, “Democrats hacked the voting machines” means “I don’t care that Trump lost the election; I want him to be President anyways.” Only a tiny handful of morons actually believe in the fraud, even among the Capitol rioters - but a huge number of Americans are against democracy, and this is how they communicate that to each-other. When the attack on the Capitol actually took place, that’s why so many just wandered around loving with stuff, with no specific plan to combat the alleged fraud.

As with other conspiracy theories, the weird language is necessary to get around the taboo of, in this case, being openly against democracy. This is evident from the magas’ effortless shifting from “antifa did it” in the direct aftermath of the botched coup, to the more blunt assertions that the assault ‘wasn’t that bad’ once they felt more secure. This was followed by new conspiracy theories when AOC got attention saying the assault was, obviously, bad. You’ll probably see some people saying the Capitol was CGI, if they haven’t already.

The stories are constantly shifting, because the underlying truth is that the Capitol was attacked by nazis, it’s pretty much an objectively bad thing, and they don’t mind. Same thing as with Sandy Hook.

I have a friend (currently in the deteriorating, "occasionally check in with him out of concern but mostly try not to get involved" stage of the friendship, due to his drug habits, erratic behaviour and this kind of poo poo) whose deep into basically every kind of conspiracy theory up to and including flat earth, and the way to understand it is indeed not as a sincere belief in anything, but as a kind of anti-belief in whatever is presented to him. The actual idea itself of being a flat earther is only ever a placeholder for the general belief that 'something is wrong with the world and SOMEONE is lying", with a side of 'lol who gives a poo poo anyway it doesn't affect me" and can equally be exchanged with any other belief at any given moment.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 26, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

It's because you're supposed to buy a starter home, pay it off, start a family and sell your starter to put money down on a bigger house, so the next couple along can afford your previous home while you get more space.

Narrator: This has never been how it actually worked.

And then everyone attacks you once you are an 'empty nester' because you can't downsize because (a) suitable properties to downsize to don't exist bearing mobility & other issues in mind - flats in high rise blocks are not suitable for wobbly oldies, let alone the potentially humungous service charges you can get (she says looking at all the leaks from the roof in our block that are going to cost a fortune to fix) and (b) stamp duty would probably gobble up a considerable portion of any sale proceeds (especially when the value of properties incurring stamp duty drops again soon) and (c) you're getting on in years, you've lived in that house for decades and built up a support network that you probably need more when you're elderly.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

If I think "UN man" I think of someone rolling around with a white APC and a blue helmet tbh.

Best I can do is blue helmet and 12 year old Renault Clio.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

Best I can do is blue helmet and 12 year old Renault Clio.

My hard hat's white so if we do a master blaster arrangement where you ride around on my shoulders we can probably pretend to be one UN between us.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Didn't realize that self-immoliation guy was in the USAF

The last walk of Aaron Bushnell, a 25-year-old member of the US Air Force who self-immolated outside the Israeli embassy in Washington in protest against US involvement in Israel's genocide in Gaza.

https://x.com/Lowkey0nline/status/1762018555900359005?s=20

Spoilered tweet because of video.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 26, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jel Shaker posted:

Our complicity goes so deep. Our own RAF aircraft and personnel have also been flying multiple sorties over Gaza to give up to date visuals on which home, hospital, school or family to target. But we've been supplying so much of the infrastructure to keep the genocide ongoing.

https://www.declassifieduk.org/uk-admits-nine-israeli-military-planes-have-visited-britain-since-gaza-bombing-began/

quote:

The MoD also admitted on Tuesday that it has flown close to 50 RAF operated aircraft to Israel since it began bombing Gaza.

The department told parliament: “As of 2 February 2024, a total of 48 RAF operated aircraft have flown to Israel since 7 October 2023.”

It added: “These flights included aircraft used to transport Ministers and senior officials conducting diplomatic engagements with Israel.”

Declassified could find no similar flights in the two months before the Gaza campaign began.

The majority of these flights are vast C-17 and A400 military transport aircraft which have gone from RAF Akrotiri, the sprawling British air base on Cyprus, to Tel Aviv.

The UK government claims the dozens of flights have “provided no lethal or military equipment other than medical supplies to Israel”.

But it is possible the US and Israel are using bases in Britain to move weapons to Israel.

Asked whether the US has used any RAF bases in the UK to transfer weapons to Israel since 7 October 2023, the MoD responded that it “does not comment on Allies’ operations”.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

My hard hat's white so if we do a master blaster arrangement where you ride around on my shoulders we can probably pretend to be one UN between us.

Shouting "WELCOME TO THE THUNDERDOME" at Bridgen and making him think its where the U.N. puts "dissenters."

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

Is it within Parliment's purview to make legislation mandating that, or is that reserved for a government minister? If they can, is there a reason the SNP hasn't suggested something so concrete? I ask this sincerely and non-sarcastically. (I read this sentence a few times and it sounds like I'm being a smug rhetorical guy but I'm not.)

obviously discounting the obvious we won’t do anything, yeah parliament could do something with legislation (eg libya) and could ride roughshod over any international agreements because national security interest trumps the courts

could grant shapps do something? probably quite a lot if he had a supportive attorney general to find some precedent, but i think that the reality it that everyone just wants to wring their hands and pretend they’re “concerned “ and let things play out to their ultimate conclusion

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Didn't realize that self-immoliation guy was in the USAF

The last walk of Aaron Bushnell, a 25-year-old member of the US Air Force who self-immolated outside the Israeli embassy in Washington in protest against US involvement in Israel's genocide in Gaza.

uhhhh tweet includes (censored) video of more than just his last walk

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lt. Danger posted:

uhhhh tweet includes (censored) video of more than just his last walk

Spoilered it. Thanks for pointing it out as I'd already seen the end bit elsewhere I didn't register.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Very normal that at the point the guy is clearly not a potential threat to anyone anymore there’s still a cop pointing a gun at him the entire time just in case.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

Very normal that at the point the guy is clearly not a potential threat to anyone anymore there’s still a cop pointing a gun at him the entire time just in case.

It wasn't a cop. It was an Israeli embassy security guard, which makes the whole imagery really apt

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1762209477506273563

That made me heartily lol. Reform is only for people who come from a certain class and wealth background.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm not going to steal a joke but

C. Everett Koop posted:

skin was becoming black, making him an active threat to the officers

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

That made me heartily lol. Reform is only for people who come from a certain class and wealth background.
Lee's going to have to go to a Reform school before he's allowed in.

He'll probably join the other Re- party with three members and two of them are Bridgen and Laurance Fox and they all hate each other, Reclaim?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’m absolutely bowled over by Aaron Bushnell. What an incredible level of moral fortitude and courage. The video is horrible but if you think you can hack it I’d recommend watching it. He did what he did to be seen and he deserves that at least, and it’s a sobering reminder of the good that exists in the world. If there’s an afterlife I hope he’s given the highest seat in it. Rest in Power.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

To be fair, he did have fire arms

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

massive spider posted:

A Good post I saved in my notes a while back that was a lightbulb moment for how it works:

I have a friend (currently in the deteriorating, "occasionally check in with him out of concern but mostly try not to get involved" stage of the friendship, due to his drug habits, erratic behaviour and this kind of poo poo) whose deep into basically every kind of conspiracy theory up to and including flat earth, and the way to understand it is indeed not as a sincere belief in anything, but as a kind of anti-belief in whatever is presented to him. The actual idea itself of being a flat earther is only ever a placeholder for the general belief that 'something is wrong with the world and SOMEONE is lying", with a side of 'lol who gives a poo poo anyway it doesn't affect me" and can equally be exchanged with any other belief at any given moment.

I always bow to Alan Moore on this topic

Alan Moore posted:

The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory, is that conspiracy theorists believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is actually chaotic. The truth is that it is not The Iluminati, or The Jewish Banking Conspiracy, or the Gray Alien Theory.

The truth is far more frightening - Nobody is in control.

The world is rudderless.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

It's whoever was shouting 'get on the ground' at him while he was patently no longer in control of his body (I've seen the uncensored version) that got me.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

massive spider posted:

Wow, the insanely rare good SMG post. My personal conspiracy theory is that he is a collection of agents tasked to drive goons insane with bad takes.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wow, the insanely rare good SMG post. My personal conspiracy theory is that he is a collection of agents tasked to drive goons insane with bad takes.

Hes a great poster

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Plz just accept the post and not make me regret not anonymising it it by starting this derail.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

massive spider posted:

Plz just accept the post and not make me regret not anonymising it it by starting this derail.

ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm having a senior moment - what is the collective name of those companies that aren't the energy suppliers (such as Octopus, EDF etc) but the ones who get the stuff out of the reactors / windmills etc to sell to the suppliers?