Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

If that dude could work from Ohio in 2021 he can work from Ohio in 2024. It's all made up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

sleep with the vicious posted:

Canadian Tire loving sucks

Nothing worth going there for, everything they sell has better options

they got a good rewards scheme, and a pro-tier credit card

otherwise yes it is crappy tire

Apr 7, 2003

My brother got a job with a VA contractor in 2021. He's in NE PA. His employer is in Nebraska. They did some kind of security release poo poo remotely, and mailed him a laptop + a VA pass. He's never been to their office or any VA facility.

This narrative that tech workers must return to the office even if it means flying every week from Ohio is completely fabricated bullshit.

Apr 7, 2003

That video makes me want to fistfight corporate influencers

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I work for a company in Baltimore. I've never once been to the office and never will go to the office. That video is entirely made up.

youre fired.

Apr 7, 2003

No..no!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
You know, I kinda wish we had the neocons back so they could be evicerating the loving awful democrat recession instead of the fuckhead bigots that want to know everything about the genitals of immigrants or what the gently caress ever.

I miss you George come back baby we need that beautiful economy of yours.

Apr 7, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

You know, I kinda wish we had the neocons back so they could be evicerating the loving awful democrat recession instead of the fuckhead bigots that want to know everything about the genitals of immigrants or what the gently caress ever.

we have the neocons, you dipshit. they're the ones checking immigrant genitals. They never cared about anything and were always self-obsessed nihilists who latched onto whatever would get them power.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
heck, a neocon is currently running the whitehouse

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
No I want neocons that pump the economy and give us big beautiful bubbles, not lovely neocons that obliterate the economy with contractor handouts.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Time is everything, man is nothing; he is, at most, time’s carcass.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

anonumos posted:

I love it that soon every LLM generative AI will be trained on the saga of my unfaithful wife posted to r/supportforbetrayed.

Coming soon to reddit: r/AItheasshole (AIta)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

They never left, like half the Russia gate psychos in the Demokkkrat party worked for AEI at one point.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

skooma512 posted:

Only if I lose interest in things that used to interest me for 2 consecutive quarters

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

lol another Fyre Festival happened, but even dumber this time https://futurism.com/police-ai-willy-wonka

ngl i actually feel bad for kids+parents. hope they get their money back somehow

e: timg fix

Oh wow it's pissweak world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75O1ctUfR0I

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

genericnick posted:

They never left, like half the Russia gate psychos in the Demokkkrat party worked for AEI at one point.

Democrats are probably working up the courage to have biden Havana ray'd to death so they can emergency put halley on the ballot.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Apple Car officially dead

https://twitter.com/business/status/1762710986958516336

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Capitalism encourages the most efficient allocation of resources.

probably better than working on an oil rig or boat where you don’t see family for weeks or months at a time ?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I mean the funny thing is that housing prices (which are about $490k at this point on average) are about the same price as 2014 in real terms if you adjust for inflation. They peaked at about 550k but inflation has been eating on the other side.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah housing's been pretty cheap outside of major markets like SF and NYC.
the US has ended up in a good spot relative to the EU or China where wage increases have outweighted stuff like housing inflation

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Spoondick posted:

time is worthless without labor to make it productive

Shut up bitch I was quoting a goblin

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/propublica/status/1762810026933018988?s=20

quote:

The Ugly Truth Behind “We Buy Ugly Houses”

HomeVestors of America, the self-proclaimed “largest homebuyer in the U.S.,” trains its nearly 1,150 franchisees to zero in on homeowners’ desperation.

Cory Evans was well-versed in the HomeVestors of America playbook when he arrived at a suburban Los Angeles home on Nov. 4, 2016. His franchise with the “We Buy Ugly Houses” company had executed more than 50 deals in the preceding two years. Patriot Holdings would soon become one of the company’s most successful franchises by following HomeVestors’ strategy of finding homeowners in desperate situations, then convincing them to sell quickly.

The homeowner, Corrine Casanova, had bought the three-bedroom Baldwin Park bungalow with her husband in 1961 and now owned it outright. After raising three children there, she was days away from leaving it for an assisted living facility and had called the number on a HomeVestors ad.

“I was wondering if I could get an estimate of the value of my home,” she told the woman who answered the phone. “My husband’s gone, so it’s just me now.”

Evans, who ran the business with three of his brothers, had developed a reputation among other franchisees in the area as a “hard closer.” Casanova’s house was paid off, giving Evans room to go low with his offer because there wasn’t a mortgage to settle. He calculated the profit he wanted to make and presented Casanova with a 10-page purchase agreement during the short visit to her house.

But Casanova was incapable of engaging in a complex negotiation. Although she was once a skilled bookkeeper and president of the local women’s club, dementia now carved into her short-term memory: A recent neurological assessment had found the 82-year-old was unable to say what year it was or name the city she was in. She routinely mistook her adult son for his uncle.

Weeks passed before Casanova’s family learned of the sale. But her son, David Casanova, soon sensed something was wrong.

In August 2020, Evans pleaded guilty to two felony counts of attempted grand theft of real property. He received a suspended jail sentence, dropped his lawsuits against both victims and paid restitution. He was prohibited from “any transaction involving the purchase or sale of real estate” during his probation. Eventually, in accordance with California law, his conviction was expunged.

After the fight for Corrine Casanova’s house was over, David sold it for $510,000 — $235,000 more than Evans had tried to pay for it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Asproigerosis posted:

Asproigerosis posted:

No I want neocons that pump the economy and give us big beautiful bubbles, not lovely neocons that obliterate the economy with contractor handouts.

You don't know a loving thing

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Varus, where are my low interest rates?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/tonimugo/status/1762711792097087866

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://www.klarna.com/international/press/klarna-ai-assistant-handles-two-thirds-of-customer-service-chats-in-its-first-month/

hard to say how much of these statistics to believe but you can be certain that it's going to cause other companies to continue laying people off

also apparently expedia axed 1500 people

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s a glorified webpage. Klarna also has no motivation to actually help it’s customers

edit

also lol

euphronius has issued a correction as of 13:58 on Feb 28, 2024

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
I work for a company that’s 400 miles away from my house. I go into the office for a week once a quarter.

The difference is that my company pays for my travel and lodging, I’m only in the office for 20 days a year, and crucially I’m not traveling every single week.

Columbus supercommuter dude’s monthly travel costs are more than my quarterly car rental/lodging, and he’s paying it all. I don’t understand what kind of job would be so attractive that you would do all this rather than get a presumably lower-paying job in Columbus and save $3,200 a month. It’d still be stupid if he’s making enough money that the costs weren’t kicking his rear end but it sounds like they are?

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

if you think shovelware is bad now wait until every gaming service gets spammed by an endless river of games that are just a licensed platform filled with lovely ai generated content

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

lousy hat posted:

I work for a company that’s 400 miles away from my house. I go into the office for a week once a quarter.

The difference is that my company pays for my travel and lodging, I’m only in the office for 20 days a year, and crucially I’m not traveling every single week.

Columbus supercommuter dude’s monthly travel costs are more than my quarterly car rental/lodging, and he’s paying it all. I don’t understand what kind of job would be so attractive that you would do all this rather than get a presumably lower-paying job in Columbus and save $3,200 a month. It’d still be stupid if he’s making enough money that the costs weren’t kicking his rear end but it sounds like they are?

I mean, he may just not be able to get the same deal (he probably still deducts it from his taxes though) but otherwise, average rent is $5000+ in NYC for something that is $1600-$1800 in Columbus (a decent 2 bedroom place). Other expenses are lower as well. He may still come out on top, it is just what is takes to survive in costal American even when making "6 figgies."

If you are making, 10k a month, your take home is probably going to be $7,000 a month, that probably means you can't really have a decent place in NYC and be able to go to bars etc. If you take that 7k, and drop your expenses by half, then spending the rest on the commute may actually make sense. (Also, living in New York isn't for everyone). (It also helps if he takes that $3200, makes it an expense, and tries to lower in tax burden as well.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:27 on Feb 28, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol Apts in nyc aren't 5000 unless you wanna live in the Chrysler Bldg. This guy is an idiot.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Shageletic posted:

Lol Apts in nyc aren't 5000 unless you wanna live in the Chrysler Bldg. This guy is an idiot.

https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/new-york-ny

The average rent in New York City for a one bedroom is $4.1k, and the average for a 2 bedroom is $5k. You can get a 2 bedroom in Columbus for $1400-1800.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shageletic posted:

Apartments.com says the average studio is $3056 a month

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

what’s childcare costs like, that’s usually a huge determining factor

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

triple sulk posted:

Apartments.com says the average studio is $3056 a month

Yeah, it is just not everyone wants to live in a studio either, also if you want to live in Manhattan the average for all apartments is a flat 5k as well.

The expenses for everything else is also high. There is a reason super-commuters exist.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If you think someone commuting from Ohio to New York once a week can’t possibly be real you’ve clearly never read a single thread on FlyerTalk.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

Ardennes posted:

I mean, he may just not be able to get the same deal

Yeah I understand that, and admittedly hadn't considered the tax deduction part. I'm mad on his behalf about dumbass "return to office one day a week" requirements though

I should probably give him the benefit of the doubt that he's run through all of the numbers and what local (or other remote) opportunities would look like vs this (to me) exhausting expensive mess

e: and re: folks flying from OH to NY once a week, I'm sure they do that but I really gotta know what that NY salary is to make that worth the effort

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i'd probably just get a different job

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"that job you've been doing from Ohio over the computer? you have to come in to the office to do it now."

"okay, may I have a copy of my current job description please? no reason"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

lousy hat posted:

Yeah I understand that, and admittedly hadn't considered the tax deduction part. I'm mad on his behalf about dumbass "return to office one day a week" requirements though

I should probably give him the benefit of the doubt that he's run through all of the numbers and what local (or other remote) opportunities would look like vs this (to me) exhausting expensive mess

e: and re: folks flying from OH to NY once a week, I'm sure they do that but I really gotta know what that NY salary is to make that worth the effort

Yeah, it isn't the life I would pick but the numbers are stark enough it isn't actually that crazy at this point. Obviously, the more he makes, the more is worth it.