Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Knightsoul posted:

I agree 100% !!!
I'm really sorry Grim Dawn, but now Last Epoch has won my heart. :lovebird:

This is how I'm feeling atm.

Also I did the dungeon to make legos for the first time. Seal the cache, nothing happens. Hmm, maybe my item is through the next door...It was not. :v: At least it was me just testing stuff and not something I was actually wearing. Still, made me laugh at how dumb I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

there really could be more of a giant flashing sign to remind you that time travel isn't just for walls and one shots.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Ran through the campaign once fully as a falconer and am currently coming up on Lagon with a warlock. Both are fun but I'm really feeling an itch to try out a pure melee, non-minion, run-into -the-middle-of-mobs-and-chop-everything-up kinda build - any reccs? I'm playing fully offline if it makes any difference.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://maxroll.gg/last-epoch/build-guides/echo-warpath-void-knight-guide

here's a void knight guide that got updated recently, where you use cyclone attack and then spawn echoes that also use it
https://assets.maxroll.gg/wordpress/Warpath-3.mp4

also, it's effective on a single button, but you can be spicy and use a 2nd button every now and then and do like 15% more damage

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
the classic swipe/maelstorm werebear druid setup is also a fantastic build for just rushing into dudes and punching everything to death https://maxroll.gg/last-epoch/build-guides/swipe-werebear-druid-guide

the amount of mitigation you get from all the armor and endurance you stack makes you feel like a golden god, its great

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

victrix posted:

putting the mastery choice dude upstairs was definitely a choice

think every one of my friends missed that

Yeah, I bought this game like a year ago, put it down for whatever reason, and just came back and the upstairs guy got me twice. The benefit of playing online is that I found the stairs by watching someone else run up them and went "OHHH, those are stairs?"

but yeah that sure was a choice

Koroshi
Feb 4, 2012

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Ran through the campaign once fully as a falconer and am currently coming up on Lagon with a warlock. Both are fun but I'm really feeling an itch to try out a pure melee, non-minion, run-into -the-middle-of-mobs-and-chop-everything-up kinda build - any reccs? I'm playing fully offline if it makes any difference.

How about a run into the middle and watch everything burn build? almost like PoE righteous fire build
https://maxroll.gg/last-epoch/build-guides/judgement-aura-paladin-guide

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Truga posted:

https://maxroll.gg/last-epoch/build-guides/echo-warpath-void-knight-guide

here's a void knight guide that got updated recently, where you use cyclone attack and then spawn echoes that also use it

also, it's effective on a single button, but you can be spicy and use a 2nd button every now and then and do like 15% more damage
Liking the looks of this and gearing doesn't seem too crazy, at least to get things up and running. It's been a while since I did any kind of whirlwind build in an ARPG and I love all the void/temporal flavoring.

Sweetgrass posted:

the classic swipe/maelstorm werebear druid setup is also a fantastic build for just rushing into dudes and punching everything to death https://maxroll.gg/last-epoch/build-guides/swipe-werebear-druid-guide

the amount of mitigation you get from all the armor and endurance you stack makes you feel like a golden god, its great
I'll check this out as well - think it ticks the big chunky melee moves thing I'm looking for. Good to hear about tankiness, too - I will say as much as I've enjoyed (low health/ward) warlock and falconer there have been times where I just get squished outta nowhere which was super jarring.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
This looks fun. I am leveling a shaman for totem nonsense and trying to learn the systems.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Are the lenses in CoF working? I have 100% reduced chance for dungeons and arena stuff yet I still see a ton of dungeon prophecies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Am I reading that right that it would make Flame Rush extremely zoomy?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You'd still be limited by whatever its cooldown is, yea? You just zip further/more quickly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is spell penetration in this game like D2 -resists where every point is better than the last or is it like, "just nice to have."

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

If you want an absolutely broken melee build that facetanks the entire game then you should absolutely play Healing Hands Paladin right now (because its 100% going to get nerfed next Cycle)

You use Rive or Vengeance to proc Healing Hands (which is also a melee attack thanks to a node on the skills tree) and then generate insane amounts of ward simply by attacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az6D9_pYpGE

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

exquisite tea posted:

Is spell penetration in this game like D2 -resists where every point is better than the last or is it like, "just nice to have."

I think most monsters don't have resists, only if their health bar says they do? So it's not as necessary to stack but it's still a separate multiplier on damage

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

exquisite tea posted:

every point is better but also significantly less better than say poe

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

Are the lenses in CoF working? I have 100% reduced chance for dungeons and arena stuff yet I still see a ton of dungeon prophecies.

I just noticed that myself. I think that for some reason, the first time you look at it, it doesn't work. I don't see the stuff I have blocked when i reroll, though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Picked this up because it was recommended to me because I love the PoE endgame, and I enjoy D4 for what it is, and loved D2 & D3. I made a Necromancer, and it really feels like Diablo 3 reskinned so far. I'm about level 30 and I'm enjoying it for the most part. But I came in totally blind.

Items seem to drop for everyone, which is how Diablo 3 used to be, and I really like that because if a friend had another class I could keep it for them the next time they signed in. However, I am finding loot to totally stink right now. I don't think I've changed anything since level 1. Items that keep dropping are level 14 and such, they're not really good upgrades. I do like the totems, those have been progressively getting VERY cool and awesome. Do items get better at a certain level or is this more like Diablo 2 where you need to be really lucky to find the good stuff, and just craft your own gear?

How is the endgame compared to D2/3/4 and PoE?

Are there seasons? How long is this one lasting before the wipe?

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Thanks for the advice on class picks y'all: good to know that it sounds like I was on the right track. I'll definitely need to check out Druid Werebear for being a big meaty tank: I usually have a bit of a blind spot for nature classes but these transformations and big berserker moves look pretty cool. Shame that Forge Guard might not be the big meaty boy I wanted in terms of attacks but they still look interesting in other ways, such as the minion.

Was curious if anyone else determines what classes you want to play based on their moves, particularly the VFX. For some reason, I really don't like classes that move around while spinning like a top: it just looks silly and unimpactful animation-wise, despite being such a popular build for clearing hordes. I have no problem with a short and sweet circular slash while standing in place, but movement really takes me out of it.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 1, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Philthy posted:

Picked this up because it was recommended to me because I love the PoE endgame, and I enjoy D4 for what it is, and loved D2 & D3. I made a Necromancer, and it really feels like Diablo 3 reskinned so far. I'm about level 30 and I'm enjoying it for the most part. But I came in totally blind.

Items seem to drop for everyone, which is how Diablo 3 used to be, and I really like that because if a friend had another class I could keep it for them the next time they signed in. However, I am finding loot to totally stink right now. I don't think I've changed anything since level 1. Items that keep dropping are level 14 and such, they're not really good upgrades. I do like the totems, those have been progressively getting VERY cool and awesome. Do items get better at a certain level or is this more like Diablo 2 where you need to be really lucky to find the good stuff, and just craft your own gear?

It's a mix of finding a good crafting base and then crafting that item into an extra good piece of gear.
As the level goes up so do item stats, including the ability to craft the item into something better.

The seasons are planned to be 3 months long but the developers said that the first one will probably be longer because they still need to fix a bunch of stuff first.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Philthy posted:

Well for one gear gets better the more you play, at 14 a new player is gonna be wearing whatever junk they happened to have lying around. But the whole genius of Last Epoch is that crafting is really easy so it's more about finding items that are like halfway good and pushing them to the end

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Wuxi posted:

If you want an absolutely broken melee build that facetanks the entire game then you should absolutely play Healing Hands Paladin right now (because its 100% going to get nerfed next Cycle)

You use Rive or Vengeance to proc Healing Hands (which is also a melee attack thanks to a node on the skills tree) and then generate insane amounts of ward simply by attacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az6D9_pYpGE

I started working on a similar build a few days ago and yeah, it feels great to play and absolutely rips. Highly recommend it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was thinking this week that it's too bad that the OP (ICR) no longer posts on the forums, he isn't around to see that he finally made a thread for a game that isn't cursed.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Knightsoul posted:

I agree 100% !!!
I'm really sorry Grim Dawn, but now Last Epoch has won my heart. :lovebird:

My main grip with Grim Dawn is that the way to skill system works you can basically max out all your damage dealing skills within the first 5-20 levels.

Once you that's down your character's playstyle becomes pretty static and you won't see any meaningful changes to the way your skills work until you start getting end game sets and unique items at like level 80+

That's a huge mid-game gap for me and I always stall out playing characters at around lvl 40 and just start something new.

Last Epoch at least seems to give you meaningful class changes to smooth out the mid game.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I had a rock solid connection last night, checked the concurrent player number and it was around 120k. So I guess they got it mostly sorted.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Philthy posted:

If PoE is a 10 and D4 is a 2, LE's is maybe a 5, but there's actual promise in that number going up in the near future, unlike with D4 (says guy who has never touched D4 because lol @ giving Blizzard money in this day and age). Right now the main endgame loops are Monoliths (which is kinda like PoE's map system), Dungeons and the Arena. There aren't really any Pinnacle bosses (although that's one of EHG's stated goals for the next major update), but there's actually a reason to do all of those systems: Monoliths grant Blessings (character buffs) and provide a way to target farm for Unique/Set items, one of the Dungeons allows you to add mods from rare items onto Uniques that have have the room to do so and the Dungeon+Arena bosses have their own special unique drops. Oh, and none of this involves grinding a thing to gather material to allow you to grind other material to allow you to fight the boss that will never drop the one item you actually want from him; Monoliths don't have any resources to spend and Dungeons/Arena just require keys which drop fairly regularly from rare monsters.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Do EHG actively nerf things? I notice a lot of overpowered builds and they’re pretty fine with them just existing from what I’ve seen. I mean in instances where something is flat broken, sure, but I think they’ve largely said they’re fine with them and I haven’t seen them nerf anything too hard if at all.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Saxophone posted:

Do EHG actively nerf things? I notice a lot of overpowered builds and they’re pretty fine with them just existing from what I’ve seen. I mean in instances where something is flat broken, sure, but I think they’ve largely said they’re fine with them and I haven’t seen them nerf anything too hard if at all.

They did nerf a few things in the 1.0 patch and before, but first off they're more or less doing the POE thing where you only hit something mid league if its outright broken, and second they're still trying to get content out the door right now

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Multiplayer is so loving broken in this game

Spent ten minutes trying to join a friend after a zone transition failed and left me stuck at a loading screen (despite being able to hear poo poo in the bg killing me, cool), couldn't join because I still showed in his party, leave party wouldn't work for him, neither of us could invite the other

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
In early access nerfs came slowly through patches and usually only bugs were addressed in mid-cycle hotfixes. They've said that Healing Hands isn't intended to scale with healing effectiveness when its converted to ward and the Profane Veil minion eating thing says 4% on the tooltip but is giving 40% instead, so stuff like that might get fixed in cycle. Ballista and Dive Bomb scaling and Wraithlord are examples of things that are wildly overtuned but working correctly so they would have to change their stance on in-cycle tuning for them to get changes.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Philthy posted:

Yeah it seems like a lot of the game is based around crafting, even at low levels. You want to save items with a lot of 1 good stat, so you can break them and get shards of that stat, and staple that stat onto good items that have an open slot for it.

Or you can find a good item (like one that has good built-in stats before affixes) with no affixes or only 1 affix and graft a bunch of good affixes to it

Also according to everyone, this game is unplayable without some kind of loot filter, because there's tons of loot, and you're not going to want the majority of it, and it's not even worth picking all of it up and selling it for gold. I'm not even sure how a new player would make a loot filter, other than just copying one from maxroll. Like, you would think if you're a necro, you wouldn't want to see anything with Strength on it, but what if that item has both Strength AND minion damage? You would want that so you can break it down and get minion damage shards.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Huh? You can definitely yoink people's loot filters (and personally I'm a proponent of following guides if that makes the game more fun for people) but part of LE's strength is that if you have even a passing knowledge of arpgs you can get further with it than something more esoteric like PoE.

You see a bunch of normal/magic items drop and you think, these are useless, I don't want to see these. So you make a filter rule that says "hide this rarity". But then you go, I want these affix shards, so you add a rule on top that says ok, show me gear with these affixes. And then you go, well, these are the tags on my skills, what if an item drops with multiple good affixes that affect this, or that gives me multiple defensive stats? Give it a different color to emphasize it so I notice it. And then you think, well, maybe a unique drop can really change up my build, so you add a rule on top to always show those just in case. And then you tweak it as you go along.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

A Moose posted:

Yeah it seems like a lot of the game is based around crafting, even at low levels. You want to save items with a lot of 1 good stat, so you can break them and get shards of that stat, and staple that stat onto good items that have an open slot for it.

Or you can find a good item (like one that has good built-in stats before affixes) with no affixes or only 1 affix and graft a bunch of good affixes to it

Also according to everyone, this game is unplayable without some kind of loot filter, because there's tons of loot, and you're not going to want the majority of it, and it's not even worth picking all of it up and selling it for gold. I'm not even sure how a new player would make a loot filter, other than just copying one from maxroll. Like, you would think if you're a necro, you wouldn't want to see anything with Strength on it, but what if that item has both Strength AND minion damage? You would want that so you can break it down and get minion damage shards.

Filters work on priority where they conflict, so you just make sure your show minion affix rule is above your hide stuff I dont rule. In general the early game strategy would just be to have a filter list something like this:

Show unique, set items, legendary items
Emphasise items with affixes A, B, C (priority/rarer ones)
Show items with one or more of affixes X, Y, Z (anything that seems vaguely useful but very common)
Hide all other items

Then as you level and get access to better stuff you break it down a little more to filter specific item bases, minimum numbers of the desired affixes, minimum total tiers, different colours for different things, or whatever else helps you.

The loot filter system is actually really easy to use, it's one of the game's real strengths imo how easy it is to set up and tweak as necessary as I go through the game.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Deformed Church posted:

Show unique, set items, legendary items

Probably not set items. I've seen a lot of streamers all just block them for being bad. Heard a few YT reviews of the game mention it too.

I've been picking them up myself, but nothing worthwhile that I've seen.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

There are some set items that make good leveling fillers, but yeah, overall they just don't compare to crafted rares or uniques. Especially since they can't get LP.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
AH, thanks everyone. I'll dig into the crafting a bit more. I did create some filters already and I love that it's there. But tweaking them down to affixes I want sounds like the best way right now over rarity until I get a handle on everything a bit more. Cool. If the end game is better than Diablo 4, then this looks like a good addition to the genre. I bounce between all of these games and enjoy them all for the most part. Have the devs mentioned how they'd like to style their seasons and new content yet? Will they be keeping it in the following seasons like PoE, or tuck it away to be brought back when they run out of ideas like D4?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So I made my volatile zombies into the puke kind and also they puke fire. I found there's a cap of 6 at a time, and they explode when I spawn more over the cap. I also picked a skill that makes them shred armor when they are puking fire. So I'm sort of figuring that I don't want to spam the ability, and instead just keep my zombies maxed out so they are doing the most armor shredding possible. Like, I'm assuming that even when they explode due to too many, they aren't doing as much damage as if they were able to puke their whole lifespan. Do you guys think that makes sense? Only summon them when I'm under the cap otherwise it's wasteful?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Philthy posted:

AH, thanks everyone. I'll dig into the crafting a bit more. I did create some filters already and I love that it's there. But tweaking them down to affixes I want sounds like the best way right now over rarity until I get a handle on everything a bit more.

For the record. You can completely ignore crafting until the very end of the campaign and just switch out items for higher level drops, if you don't want to bother/unsure what to do.
Crafting doesn't become mandatory until after the campaign.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

For the record. You can completely ignore crafting until the very end of the campaign and just switch out items for higher level drops, if you don't want to bother/unsure what to do.
Crafting doesn't become mandatory until after the campaign.

It's also really easy though. Just pop in affix shards that are upgrades in empty spots on already decent items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Crafting pre-monoliths is both extremely optional (the campaign is pretty easy aside from Lagon and the final boss) and extremely useful (crafting is very approachable and will give you a lot of extra power and defenses to blast through even faster).