Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is there some way to permanently show weaknesses on an enemy I've scanned?

I hate having to assess every enemy every battle because I can't remember what every single enemy is weak to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The most important thing in the entire game is following and petting the cute baby chocobos and saving their bus stop!! !!!

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Costa Del Sol is the only part of the game I haven’t enjoyed. Granted there wasn’t a whole lot going on with that town in the 32-bit game, but the way they padded out things here made it borderline excruciating. So many hoops to jump through to move things along, and only like one of the required mini-games is any fun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Frankston posted:

Is there some way to permanently show weaknesses on an enemy I've scanned?

I hate having to assess every enemy every battle because I can't remember what every single enemy is weak to.

just press the touchpad and you can view their info without assessing

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

just press the touchpad and you can view their info without assessing

Lol loving hell

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Almost Smart posted:

Costa Del Sol is the only part of the game I haven’t enjoyed. Granted there wasn’t a whole lot going on with that town in the 32-bit game, but the way they padded out things here made it borderline excruciating. So many hoops to jump through to move things along, and only like one of the required mini-games is any fun.

I thought Run Wild was funny as hell. Sure, let me take on a group of six completely normal dogs, one chocobo, and a duo of tryhard Rufus dogs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
made it to gold saucer, and there are many things I can comment on, but one in particular is that catty bitch Reeve sabotaged Palmer’s suite in particular. Cait is his tiny Scottish id

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
How do the Synergy Abilities that "extend stagger and increase potency" actually work? I haven't noticed them having a visible effect when used on staggered enemies. Does it refresh the meter? Make it drain slower? Is it supposed to increase the %? It's kinda difficult to experiment with and unclear how you're supposed to use these.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

How do the Synergy Abilities that "extend stagger and increase potency" actually work? I haven't noticed them having a visible effect when used on staggered enemies. Does it refresh the meter? Make it drain slower? Is it supposed to increase the %? It's kinda difficult to experiment with and unclear how you're supposed to use these.

It makes it drain slower, but not hugely so. Basically you're supposed to use it on a staggered foe so your third character has more time to pile on damage.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whoever put shoot on R2 with adaptive triggers on by default is a loving prick.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Pollyanna posted:

Whoever put shoot on R2 with adaptive triggers on by default is a loving prick.

On a related note, I despise the adaptive triggers implementation on the sit-up minigame. So unnecessary.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The Titan fight is powerfully loving stupid and I'm starting to get mad, lmao

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Swamp/Story spoilers: I choose to believe that there are two Sephiroths in these games. The OG one you are pursuing (aka the one that controls the black robed guys) and the one who absorbed the whispers/forced you to defeat them. I think the later is the one that shows up to help Cloud against the zolom as his intro was different than how he shows up when Cloud "hallucinates" him. Of course I could be completely wrong as I'm still early but that's the impression I got from Remake.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

The Titan fight is powerfully loving stupid and I'm starting to get mad, lmao

If you're having trouble remember that finding the shrines in the overworld will let you turn down the difficulty.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Lakbay posted:

Stop making me play Queen's Blood game, I don't like it

Please give me your queens blood opponents BC I keep running out of new people to play

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

If you're having trouble remember that finding the shrines in the overworld will let you turn down the difficulty.

Yeah I wiped so quickly the first time I assumed you're not really supposed to do it raw and that's just a challenge for masochists.

I did it again with two shrines and it wasn't bad at all.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

Also by the time I'd completed everything in the first region, I was able to beat the full strength titan fairly easily.

I'm just in the second region now but I get the feeling that's the "design" of it.

You can skillfully try to get the new summon immediately, beeline to the shrines to make it trivial or do everything in an area making you strong enough to beat the full powered version.

Are there always going to be parts of the map shrouded in fog because there's nothing there for you to do? I'm pretty sure I did everything in the grasslands but the splodges of fog in certain spots are annoying me.

Also for anyone that's far enough, is there the same hard mode gated content as there was in remake? I quite like playing on classic/easy but wasn't too keen on being locked out of stuff like bahamut in the first game because of that.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Holy cow Junon parade sequence rules.

Edit: Tifa and Aerith having a blast playing dress up while Cloud looks at the uniform and you can practically hear him thinking "Hello Darkness My Old Friend." The troopers following you around. THE BALD BAR

GOTY

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 3, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

Also by the time I'd completed everything in the first region, I was able to beat the full strength titan fairly easily.

I'm just in the second region now but I get the feeling that's the "design" of it.

You can skillfully try to get the new summon immediately, beeline to the shrines to make it trivial or do everything in an area making you strong enough to beat the full powered version.

Are there always going to be parts of the map shrouded in fog because there's nothing there for you to do? I'm pretty sure I did everything in the grasslands but the splodges of fog in certain spots are annoying me.

Also for anyone that's far enough, is there the same hard mode gated content as there was in remake? I quite like playing on classic/easy but wasn't too keen on being locked out of stuff like bahamut in the first game because of that.

There's stuff you need to play in Hard Mode (either actual Hard Mode or battle mode stuff that locks you to Hard Mode) to see, yeah. Including a battle arena where you can use Sephiroth from the opening area again.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

ImpAtom posted:

I just managed to get him at full strength but it was a real struggle. The tracking on his attacks is insane, and he'll just change direction on a dime. Aerith is so slow at building ATB I have to switch from her the moment he's looking anywhere but directly at someone else because he'll do a 1-frame flying charge that chunks her for like 400 damage even if she blocks.

Blocking also isn't an animation cancel, and that really sucks for someone like Aerith with long attack animations.

I did it but I'm mad.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kin posted:

I suspect (but I've only just arrived in Junon city), that like the original FF7 you'll return to earlier zones later on in the game, at which point more of the map will become accessible.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Capfalcon posted:

The troopers following you around.

I kept getting reminded of that episode of Malcom in the Middle with the bodybuilders.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bewilderment posted:

Since Cloud is almost always in your party, but Barret starts every battle with Overcharge ready, a simple strategy is to start as Cloud with First Strike materia equipped, hit enemies just enough to do a Braver or Triple Slash, then immedately switch to Barret and overcharge to build ATB and then do something else.

I usually find myself using Cloud's first ATB on an elemental skill, since most enemies seem to get pressured by getting hit with elemental weakness.

I guess the downside is that those sometimes don't build synergy gauge. I think the actual weapon skill ones - like the Firebolt one - and maybe magic do, but not the little no-MP elemental abilities.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Swamp/Story spoilers: I choose to believe that there are two Sephiroths in these games. The OG one you are pursuing (aka the one that controls the black robed guys) and the one who absorbed the whispers/forced you to defeat them. I think the later is the one that shows up to help Cloud against the zolom as his intro was different than how he shows up when Cloud "hallucinates" him. Of course I could be completely wrong as I'm still early but that's the impression I got from Remake.

These are not Rebirth spoilers but something mentioned in the Remake Ultimania: you're right. There's more than one Sephiroth at work here, or so the Remake Ultimania said. They drew a distinction between flashback Sephiroth, hallucination Sephiroth, "OG" Sephiroth (the one who shows up through the Sephiroth clones), and finally the one at the end in the "Edge of Creation" scene from Remake.

I dunno if there's much reason to draw a distinction between the first three as they're all just sorta different versions of the main Sephiroth, but it's notable that there's a very different one operating in the story, too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really need to get that book. I'm surprised at myself for not getting it yet because that kind of stuff is completely my jam. I'll have to remedy that at some point.

But yeah, they do make the distinction pretty clear but I wasn't sure if I was reading too much into it. The whole idea is really rad and gets me pumped to see how the story unfolds, further exploring the differences in the characterization of the other Sephiroth and the reactions from the cast when they finally learn that there are two different Sephiroths around.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just got out of the Mythril Mines and started chapter 4. Am I able to go back to the Grasslands any time soon? I missed a few of the combat objectives in the combat intel fights and wanted to do them but I guess I should have realized it wouldn’t let me warp back right away.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Harrow posted:

These are not Rebirth spoilers but something mentioned in the Remake Ultimania: you're right. There's more than one Sephiroth at work here, or so the Remake Ultimania said. They drew a distinction between flashback Sephiroth, hallucination Sephiroth, "OG" Sephiroth (the one who shows up through the Sephiroth clones), and finally the one at the end in the "Edge of Creation" scene from Remake.

I dunno if there's much reason to draw a distinction between the first three as they're all just sorta different versions of the main Sephiroth, but it's notable that there's a very different one operating in the story, too.

"He's Sephiroth! He's Sephiroth! I'm Sephiroth! Are there any other Sephiroths I should know about?"

"Shall I give you Donbei?"

"...I'm outta here."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just got out of the Mythril Mines and started chapter 4. Am I able to go back to the Grasslands any time soon? I missed a few of the combat objectives in the combat intel fights and wanted to do them but I guess I should have realized it wouldn’t let me warp back right away.

An early quest in Junon opens up fast travel between areas.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yes. The likely first side quest you come across in the Junon region will enable travel back to the Grasslands once you're done.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

f#a# posted:

I think the atb stagger materia is bugged and makes Tifa a ridiculous powerhouse. The moment an enemy gets staggered, she gets enough for an unbridled, which makes sense...but I think it also triggers on increasing the stagger bonus, because connecting with a triangle attack just re-ups the atb again.

Paired with how much more powerful her triangle attacks are, this is just a feedback loop and I don't think an enemy or boss phase has survived that yet.

Hitting enemies with triangle abilities when they’re in stagger gives a boosted atb gain rate

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mt. Corel Reactor
The Huge Materia being the cores of Weapons instead of just laying around in random places is a really cool change.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Augus posted:

Mt. Corel Reactor
The Huge Materia being the cores of Weapons instead of just laying around in random places is a really cool change.

Yep. I think it’s really fun how these games are taking the opportunity to firm up the internal logic and tidy up some story beats that felt kinda sloppy even in the OG.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Yep. I think it’s really fun how these games are taking the opportunity to firm up the internal logic and tidy up some story beats that felt kinda sloppy even in the OG.

Also let's them cut down on plot threads for Part 3 if Shinra vs. the Weapons and the Hunt for the Huge Materia are the same story beat now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HD DAD posted:

I also think the Weapon in the Corel reactor might be a brand new one? It doesn't really resemble Sapphire or Emerald, looks more like Bismarck than anything.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Square you sons of bitches you better give us an actual Sister Ray model kit down the line.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Really having a fantastic time playing this game. Everything about it so far owns (besides the general jankiness of movement, I have no idea why it has to be so janky) but everything else is really great!

I dearly hope the quality keeps up all the way through.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Extremely disappointed that I can't do the Naruto run when I'm controlling Yuffie

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Frankston posted:

Lol loving hell

You also only need to cast assess once to scan every enemy in the combat even if they’re all new enemies, you can cycle through them on the screen that comes up.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

History Comes Inside! posted:

You also only need to cast assess once to scan every enemy in the combat even if they’re all new enemies, you can cycle through them on the screen that comes up.

Only once the Assess materia has levelled up. It does that pretty quick though if you always have it on Cloud.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Is there any downside or cap to hanging onto research points with the boy Chadley or should I be grabbing materia whenever I have the points for it...?

e: Oh and just curious, can you do all the romances or do you get locked out of say Tifa if you make Aeris happy

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Getting extremely frustrated with the last part of the Junon protorelic quest, apparently I loving suck at Fort Condor. What did you all do