Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

Atlantis basically starts an intergalactic war in Peg, look at all the decisions they made for the people on the planet of the week without talking to them, when they were fully aware of the politics more than Earth.

Yeah, it's the actions of the Tau'ri that wake up the Wraith much earlier than normal, thus dooming who knows how many people. Lots.

I am watching Atlantis for the first time, into season 4 now, and I like it very much. But it lacks a lot of the charms of SG1. And I think there's two fundamental reasons for that: 1 the mission of the show. It's hegemonic. Whereas SG1 is "defending Earth by the seat of our pants". 2, the main cast is a real blank slate. Tell me anything about Sheppard. Or Kayla. Just not much there. SG1 wasn't much into characterization either, but they did way more than Atlantis getting us to know and care about the leads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

well why not posted:

They languish for a long time before Asgard beings to help out. It's a huge step up when the battlecruisers show up and SG teams are beaming around. It's also such fun that everyone in the SGC has seen enough Star Trek that they don't bother making an alternative verb for "beaming" people.

Then Thor just gives them everything in the last episode.

they cant really turn that on until ark was over though but jesus that has to be the worst / best wizards dont give a gently caress example ever. lets give these dudes we sort of like because of one guy we do like the ability to just create anything they can think of and hoping it doesnt turn out bad oh the enemy they made for us is here sucide bomb time. we basically see them use it twice once is to live in a time dialation bubble for 60 yrs and then the 2nd is RECREATING the asgards most hated foe with out the weakness to stop them lol

wizards ancients asgard no sense of right and wrong

snergle fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 4, 2024

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

snergle posted:

they cant really turn that on until ark was over though but jesus that has to be the worst / best wizards dont give a gently caress example ever. lets give these dudes we sort of like because of one guy we do like the ability to just create anything they can think of and hoping it doesnt turn out bad oh the enemy they made for us is here sucide bomb time. we basically see them use it twice once is to live in a time dialation bubble for 60 yrs and then the 2nd is RECREATING the asgards most hated foe with out the weakness to stop them lol

wizards ancients asgard no sense of right and wrong

"You want to give all our tech to who? The Tau'ri? The guys who blew up a star? The guys whose first act after arriving in a whole new galaxy was to start loving that one up as well? Those are the ones you want to give all the secrets of the universe to?"

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

pixaal posted:

Atlantis is warcrimes the jaunt through another galaxy in ignorance.

Well now you're just making it sound like Voyager :colbert:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"You want to give all our tech to who? The Tau'ri? The guys who blew up a star? The guys whose first act after arriving in a whole new galaxy was to start loving that one up as well? Those are the ones you want to give all the secrets of the universe to?"

yeah

Sardonik posted:

Well now you're just making it sound like Voyager :colbert:

yeah

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"Their evolutionary status is far more advanced than others! Look at Jack O'Neill!"
"Listen, just because Thor has a crush on him, doesn't mean we should give them our enti-"
"Daniel's pretty smart!"
"HE hosed A GOU'ALD! PRE, POST, AND PRESENT"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wait present? Which one was present?

redshirt posted:

. Tell me anything about Sheppard. Or Kayla.

Well I'm only in season 1, but her mom's name was Tagan.

Tagan Emmagen.

I can only assume she was from a snow planet, and her middle name was Toboggan

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Tagan Emmagen.

I got her name wrong. It's Tayla. Show's how much of a character she is.

I was thinking of KOLYA!!!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hey, name anyone better than the Tau'ri for the Secrets of the Asgards.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

You know the Tau'ri did save the Asgard's bacon on multiple occasions.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

PittTheElder posted:

Wait present? Which one was present?

Tagan Emmagen.

Hathor, via magic horny dust

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redshirt posted:

I got her name wrong. It's Tayla. Show's how much of a character she is.

I was thinking of KOLYA!!!!!

The Atlantis thread hated her, especially after she sang. She was supposed to be the offworld Teal'c equivalent but failed at it so they brought in Ronon Dex

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Fuckin lol, completely forgot about Hathor

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

The Atlantis thread hated her, especially after she sang. She was supposed to be the offworld Teal'c equivalent but failed at it so they brought in Ronon Dex

lol. I like her well enough, she's just nothing special. Like all the SGA characters, except loving Rodney I suppose. And my boy Zelenka.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

It looks like she's bathing in boiled pizza. Yum.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

redshirt posted:

lol. I like her well enough, she's just nothing special. Like all the SGA characters, except loving Rodney I suppose. And my boy Zelenka.

the Wraith genetic experiments are pretty hosed up when you think about forcefully changing someone's body against their will.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

the Wraith genetic experiments are pretty hosed up when you think about forcefully changing someone's body against their will.

SGA turning Wraith into Enterprise cast members....

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

This isn't a complaint, but it's weird that Showtime didn't use this episode to put more nudity into the show.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Prometheus is the best ship.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

And speaking of ships, there's nothing in the Air Force skill tree that qualifies you to command a ship with hundreds of people.

That's a Navy gig, and they should have been in charge of the ship program. With SG1 of course getting to do whatever they want regardless.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Desert Bus posted:

It looks like she's bathing in boiled pizza. Yum.

Larvae don't look like larvae on film, you have to use pizza

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

ScreenDoorThrillr posted:

Larvae don't look like larvae on film, you have to use pizza

Oh that makes sense, thanks!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

redshirt posted:

And speaking of ships, there's nothing in the Air Force skill tree that qualifies you to command a ship with hundreds of people.

That's a Navy gig, and they should have been in charge of the ship program. With SG1 of course getting to do whatever they want regardless.

Honestly one of the most nagging immersion breaks in the whole series for me is the ranks. Does Jack spend 7 seasons as a Colonel who commands a total of 3 people?

Like I know it's dumb and doesn't matter but they make such a big deal about the promotions for Sam lol, and as far as I can tell she is in command of nobody?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

PittTheElder posted:

Honestly one of the most nagging immersion breaks in the whole series for me is the ranks. Does Jack spend 7 seasons as a Colonel who commands a total of 3 people?

Like I know it's dumb and doesn't matter but they make such a big deal about the promotions for Sam lol, and as far as I can tell she is in command of nobody?

She's in charge of Rodney, Bill Lee, and any other horny scientist.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

She's in charge of Rodney, Bill Lee, and any other horny scientist.

lol indeed. Who's that other horny scientist, he had a whole episode...Created the Avengers Virus.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

It seems like the "structure" is that he's in charge of decisions in the field for all the SG teams. So the various Kowalskis are answerable to him most of the time. He directly leads SG1, but everyone else is broadly his responsibility.

That said, the only other person on SG1 who's military is Sam, so he actually spends 7 seasons as a colonel who commands a total of 1 people. Teal'c and Daniel are just good sports, most of the time. It's weird when Daniel and Teal'c order around Kowalskis in general.

It's better than Mitchell, who had the same rank as Sam making them co-leaders of SG1. Teal'c and Daniel were still good sports, but a little less enthusiastic initially.

well why not fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 6, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

How many folks served on the Prometheus? Fully crewed. Gotta be 200 easy, I'd guess.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'd be down to just spend time in the ship's galley whipping up jello cubes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

I'd be down to just spend time in the ship's galley whipping up jello cubes

For a ship that big, the dining services crew is probably 12 people or so. Maybe more. All with the highest of top clearances, as they are currently working/living on a secret spaceship.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

redshirt posted:

lol indeed. Who's that other horny scientist, he had a whole episode...Created the Avengers Virus.
Felger. Also featured in S6E08: The Other Guys

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i dont think KREE has an easy translation, it seems like an interjection that is used to indicate authority/dominance over the addressees, who are expected to reäct in a contextually appropriate form of subservience

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

FFT posted:

Felger. Also featured in S6E08: The Other Guys

In my SG1 video I described him as "We have Pre-Atlantis Rodney Mckay at home", and I stand by that.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sardonik posted:

In my SG1 video I described him as "We have Pre-Atlantis Rodney Mckay at home", and I stand by that.

One of my least favorite episodes, though I LOVE the concept of introducing viruses into the gate system, that's exactly the kind of poo poo that allowed the Tau'ri to conquer the galaxy. But Felger is so cliche science loser....

I think of it as a reflection of the times. Early 2000s. And there's plenty of examples prior, of smart folk being made to look like not just fools, but sexist pigs too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

There was nothing in the Army that qualified them over any other service to be fighter pilots, yet it was the Army Air Forces until 1947 :shrug:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

There was nothing in the Army that qualified them over any other service to be fighter pilots, yet it was the Army Air Forces until 1947 :shrug:

Perhaps, but Captains in the Navy are in charge of these large vessels with hundreds of people working in them.... it seems like a straightforward change in command. To go from commanding an aircraft carrier for example to the Odyssey.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I would have liked to have seen smaller fleet ships that accompanied the Daedalus Class vessels.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Squizzle posted:

i dont think KREE has an easy translation, it seems like an interjection that is used to indicate authority/dominance over the addressees, who are expected to reäct in a contextually appropriate form of subservience

I always imagine it like OI! Just a noise that more or less says whatever you want it to.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

TK-42-1 posted:

I always imagine it like OI! Just a noise that more or less says whatever you want it to.
I covered this immediately!

FFT posted:

crispix posted:

what exactly does kree mean, anyway
"Yo!"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Why can't you just transfer carrier battle fleet tactics to space?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

wouldn't it most likely be like submarine combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

wouldn't it most likely be like submarine combat?

Big rear end ship showing up to rain hell, fighters flying out to take down enemy fighters? Doesn't sounds like submarines.