Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
the lost commandment

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Tarkus posted:

Agreed. When people say doomery poo poo about how everything is a hellscape of some sort, I initially agree and then think back to my past and where history has been and then chuckle.

Truth be told though, it is important that people think things are bad or else there's no impetus to change things, there's still lots to change even though much of the dialog is silly or naive.

Your first paragraph is some temporal whataboutism. Plus, it kind of ignores how Zoomers are absolutely hosed as resources grow more scarce and wealth and power become increasingly concentrated among a few plutocrats. What else? OH RIGHT! And the fact that the planet is melting, disasters and extreme weather are becoming increasingly common, and rising sea levels are going to displace millions over the next 50 years, and rising temperatures are going to make food increasingly scarce.

But yeah I guess it's not the bubonic plague.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Time_pants posted:

Your first paragraph is some temporal whataboutism. Plus, it kind of ignores how Zoomers are absolutely hosed as resources grow more scarce and wealth and power become increasingly concentrated among a few plutocrats. What else? OH RIGHT! And the fact that the planet is melting, disasters and extreme weather are becoming increasingly common, and rising sea levels are going to displace millions over the next 50 years, and rising temperatures are going to make food increasingly scarce.

we can just grow food in greenland now, though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

If the world is ending and we're all doomed then that means no one should mind if I sleep in, so I think it's a fair trade.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
"AI, invent me a thermal depolymeriser that runs on co2 and human poo poo"

*farts thru silk*

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

If the world is ending and we're all doomed then that means no one should mind if I sleep in, so I think it's a fair trade.

the water's getting warm, so you might as well swim.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The "Most Mysterious Song on The Internet" is loving terrible:

https://youtu.be/FBEoZ1heH-M?feature=shared

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Time_pants posted:

Let's put it this way. We are living in a time where things are probably as good as they'll ever be in so many ways (as far as we know) So you may as well enjoy it while it lasts. Enjoy your life, friends and youth rather than live in a constant state of panic about some unknown future. I spent my 20's and 30's freaking out about poo poo I have no control over and it's ultimately up to me to live my life, good or bad, as best I can. That doesn't mean that you don't try to change things or have concern for the future but catastrophizing doesn't present an accurate picture of the future or your future in particular.

So yeah, at least it's not the bubonic plague, or the 99.9% of human history where not even kings got to live like us.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
a working social safety net and deecent pension plans turn boomers into fat loot crates

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Tarkus posted:

Let's put it this way. We are living in a time where things are probably as good as they'll ever be in so many ways (as far as we know) So you may as well enjoy it while it lasts. Enjoy your life, friends and youth rather than live in a constant state of panic about some unknown future. I spent my 20's and 30's freaking out about poo poo I have no control over and it's ultimately up to me to live my life, good or bad, as best I can. That doesn't mean that you don't try to change things or have concern for the future but catastrophizing doesn't present an accurate picture of the future or your future in particular.

So yeah, at least it's not the bubonic plague, or the 99.9% of human history where not even kings got to live like us.

Do you have kids? That's why the bleak future is a source of stress.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Politics are just sports for people that like to get angry instead of excited.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
There's a big difference between "the kids nowadays are too disrespectful!" and watching the core chunks of society, employment, medicine, and safety be systematically attacked by capital tools and powers that didn't used to exist

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Time_pants posted:

I get you. We want the best for our kids and we want them to live better than we did.

I will say this though, I think in the modern media age, for the last 70 years we've been going through versions of a kind of generational trauma through the stories, fears and worries that we burden each successive generation with. Whether you're on the left or right we have these fears like fascism, satanic panic, kidnapping, the environment, a nuclear holocaust, war, famine and now we tell kids that the world is basically over and there is no future. They (and we) get to see it unfold now in real time. No wonder these good kids are such a loving mess, and I thought we were bad in the 90's. We keep these fears alive across generations and decades and compound them. We just won't let them fade. I think some of us get addicted to being afraid for the future, myself included.

I think a good example is the kidnapping panic of the late 80's and early 90's. At that time we were allowed to play outside, stay out with friends and have some freedom. A mere 10 or so years later children were no longer allowed to have any freedom and it has only gotten worse. We did that, not our parents, we did. Based on their fears.

I'm not sure exactly where I'm going with this. I'm not a particularly good writer but I think that sometimes being in a knowingly blissfully unaware state might be better for everyone's mental health. Particularly if you're not in a position to do anything about it. I dunno.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Time_pants posted:

I hope my kids destroy this whole place. Id be so proud.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Every generation has thought they are a part of the apocalypse. One of these days they will be right.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Yes, you loving burnout, you are addicted to weed.

I get it, weed is fuckin awesome man! Being high is fun! By and large it doesn’t lead to nearly the same type or scope of negative outcomes as alcohol or opiate or benzodiazepine or other drug addictions, that’s true too!

But if you gotta be off the bong from 8am until 2am every day, you gotta get high to go grocery shopping, you gotta get high to walk the dog, you gotta get high to go to work, you gotta be high to do the laundry, you’re loving addicted to the weed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We are the authors of our own suffering.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Time_pants posted:

Nah, you can't control the future so there's no need to stress. And if you're exhibiting this stress in front of your kids you're just setting a bad example. You gotta just tune that poo poo out and enjoy your day to day.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Spinz posted:

Eating rear end is gross

so what

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Eating is gross.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thats a "telling on yourself" style post

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I will admit weed is addictive I was able to quit drinking overnight but weed took years

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

AcidCat posted:

Nah, you can't control the future so there's no need to stress. And if you're exhibiting this stress in front of your kids you're just setting a bad example. You gotta just tune that poo poo out and enjoy your day to day.

Nah, man. I want him to enjoy his childhood. Despite all appearances here, I'm pretty normal at home.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Time_pants posted:

Despite all appearances here, I'm pretty normal at home.

lol yeah I imagine this is true for many goons. Definitely not all though.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I had to bottom out to quit weed for good and now every time I'm around it my mind boggles at how I could normalize it

Truth: weed smoke fuckin stinks, not the same as cigarettes but just as bad in a different way. Everyone around you knows, you're not being paranoid, they just don't want to rock the boat by confronting you about being a gross stoner.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Car Hater posted:

Truth: weed smoke fuckin stinks, not the same as cigarettes but just as bad in a different way. Everyone around you knows, you're not being paranoid, they just don't want to rock the boat by confronting you about being a gross stoner.

It's also not even a very good high

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

SOUND & FURY is a metal album

also this is the first metal song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss1EyyXL4Gk

False

https://youtu.be/raDkFFagrKM

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Time_pants posted:

Anyone who has had to get used to a supremely lovely normal goes wide eyed at the thought of going back and wonder if maybe they shouldn't just jump off the roof right now before getting used to it again.

People who have had really easy lives are the ones who go "Yeah well 700 years ago in miseryia, people had to eat carnivorous bugs with their rear end to survive.. things are good... have some perspective."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Car Hater posted:

I had to bottom out to quit weed for good and now every time I'm around it my mind boggles at how I could normalize it

I quit smoking weed three weeks ago, and, suddenly I can smell it again. I don't know if it hosed with my sense of smell or because I was such a stoner it was just always around, but since I've been away from it, I'm extremely aware when it's around me, and it stinks!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Smoking things is a boomer habit.

The slick gleaming future of pharmacology is putting things in your stomach, butthole, or veins. Only if you have to use your lungs then it's ok as long as the substance is room temperature and particulate free.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Internet Old One posted:

Anyone who has had to get used to a supremely lovely normal goes wide eyed at the thought of going back and wonder if maybe they shouldn't just jump off the roof right now before getting used to it again.

People who have had really easy lives are the ones who go "Yeah well 700 years ago in miseryia, people had to eat carnivorous bugs with their rear end to survive.. things are good... have some perspective."

do not besmirch my people, we miseryians stopped eating assbugs hundreds of years ago!

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

zedprime posted:

Smoking things is a boomer habit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Millennials defeat weed smoking!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

thats a "telling on yourself" style post

:glomp:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Bad Purchase posted:

we’ll simply relocate yo mamma to the moon to impart earth-like gravity

Losing that much mass would greatly unbalance the earth :mad:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Internet Old One posted:

"Yeah well 700 years ago in miseryia, people had to eat carnivorous bugs with their rear end to survive.. things are good... have some perspective."

Thats how rear end eating got started. People would rear end eat bugs and then regurgitate them like a bird does with worms. People would eat the half digested rear end poo poo bugs.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Maudib Arakkis posted:

-Reddit is completely fine and normal people go there

reddit is disgusting, gently caress you

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Toxic Mental posted:

Breaking Bad is B-tier and basic cable basic bitches people propped it up because they were desperate to have their own The Sopranos or The Wire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

americans have a rich, diverse and varied culture, and america is the birthplace of some of the best cuisines on earth