Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I feel like dumb is maybe unfair... it seems more like Ubel has a very vivid imagination and given the whole "magic is limited by what you can visualize" in this setting... well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Ubel putting out some real Asa buying an Aquarium vibes

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Quinton posted:

I loved the Ubel bits in this one... her absolute confidence that she'd be able to handle Sense's clone, the flashback to the exam involving her killing the proctor, and the discussion with Sense after the incident where she tells a little story about watching her older sister sew that pretty much reads as a death threat. Her atypical outlook and magic-by-empathy approach fits with the impression she consistently gives of someone quite dangerous and unpredictable.

Definitely explains Sense getting jumpscared by Ubel just looking at her in the first exam episode.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Perfect Ending

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Quinton posted:

Huh... the hardcore fans thing is not terribly surprising, but the audience demographics are... it feels like a show that should have somewhat wider appeal.

CGDCT has always been a male fan dominated genre. Especially since it's a Kirara series.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Super Jay Mann posted:

What kind of twisted, sadistic DM puts a mimic in the post-boss dungeon treasure room?

I like how you can see she already escaped from two other mimics in the treasure room and felt that third time's the charm.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
No maniac would put twothree mimics in a single room.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

duz posted:

I like how you can see she already escaped from two other mimics in the treasure room and felt that third time's the charm.

Well, you see, a mage of her caliber *knows* that there absolutely has to be an amazing grimoire in that last chest. It stands to reason.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Aumanor posted:

You were saying?

I don't get how anything from this episode would change the mind of someone who bought that previous post. Ubel certainly killed that proctor, but didn't murder 'em. It's not even clear to me that she was negligent.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

If that guy didn't wanna get killed he probably should have worn a stronger coat

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Mordja posted:

No maniac would put twothree mimics in a single room.

gacha players be like

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm consistently amazed by how much stuff they're able to cram into an episode. Like, they're drawing out incredibly short 1-2 page/panel fights from the manga yet managing to squeeze so much in, yet I never feel like anything's getting cut out.

Maybe years of shonen dragging out fight scenes have rotted my brain but I figured the Frieren (and Fern) v. Frieren/everyone v. everyone fights might last at least another episode.

Yawgmoft posted:

drat Fern so strong she made Frieren activate magic: Jedi

Currently imagining Frieren hopping around the room like Yoda in the prequels

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 9, 2024

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sapozhnik posted:

As for the other events of the episode I was kind of hoping to see Fern's shadow tearing it up

We do get a bit of the aftermath.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Jerkface posted:

If that guy didn't wanna get killed he probably should have worn a stronger coat

Honestly he practically killed himself coming up with that plan.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

The junk collector posted:

Honestly he practically killed himself coming up with that plan.

this show likes to remind people that underestimating tends to result in detached parts.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Lol that it turns out Ubels superpower is that she’s too dumb to know something isn’t possible.

Literally that one Arthur meme

“That sign can’t stop me cause I can’t read!”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In a world where magic is powered by one's ability to visualize the magic actually doing the thing you want it to do, it's an advantage in some cases to be ignorant of certain things that would otherwise prevent that thing from happening. Kinda reminds me of Mysticism magic in the Elder Scrolls where the whole point of the school is that you need to embrace the illogical and impossible and then manifest them.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i love that the first shown fight following the "alright everyone target whomever's weakest against you" is Lawine fighting not-Kanne

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

In a world where magic is powered by one's ability to visualize the magic actually doing the thing you want it to do, it's an advantage in some cases to be ignorant of certain things that would otherwise prevent that thing from happening. Kinda reminds me of Mysticism magic in the Elder Scrolls where the whole point of the school is that you need to embrace the illogical and impossible and then manifest them.

"You can't cut [ITEM] with scissors, Ubel!"

"well not with that attitude...."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Helter Skelter posted:

We do get a bit of the aftermath.

From low angle fake fern was at it seems Methode backed up her boast and beat her.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The thing that struck me about how magic works in this episode is that it needs the balance between having the egghead brains to construct complicated spells with a variety of effects but also needing the loose grasp on reality needed to conceptualize things that shouldn't be possible

To put it in the terms of certain famous shonen ghostbusting anime, all mages have a screw loose

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yes, although I think Methode's wizard gimmick is that her loose screw is very small.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The quick view of Methode standing in the hallway was chilling.

The way they've shot this show is just perfect.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I absolutely did not remember Methode from the manga, probably because we didn't see her team in the first exam, but she is absolutely badass. Übel sure left an impression, though.
I genuinely like every one of the current participants. That's such an impressive feat.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

cant cook creole bream posted:

I absolutely did not remember Methode from the manga, probably because we didn't see her team in the first exam, but she is absolutely badass. Übel sure left an impression, though.
I genuinely like every one of the current participants. That's such an impressive feat.

she's maybe slightly more memorable than assorted wirbel companions and redhead meatball hair girl that's just sorta there all the time

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

How could you forget fan favorite...

Dünste.
Dunce
Doontz
Donitz
Donuts
Donny
Danny
Dan

Chair In A Basket fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 9, 2024

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I for one am shocked, shocked that somehow Sir Generic McMustacheman passed the test over actual characters with names. Dude’s from the background of a crowd shot and is out here walking among the titans.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Implying that Mr. Mustache isn't one of the titans. :colbert:

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
I cannot wait to binge-rewatch this whole season once all the episodes are out.
Can they maintain this level of quality in every single aspect throughout multilple seasons?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

she's maybe slightly more memorable than assorted wirbel companions and redhead meatball hair girl that's just sorta there all the time

Thats Denken's adopted granddaughter to you

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

duz posted:

I think my favorite thing is that out of every single thing that ever happened to her, mimics are the one thing that causes Frieren to lose her cool.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Still surprised they didn’t beat the replica with a mimic

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Chair In A Basket posted:

How could you forget fan favorite...

Dünste.
Dunce
Doontz
Donitz
Donuts
Donny
Danny
Dan

Oh yeah. I actually did forget about him.
Let me adjust my previous statement.
"I genuinely like every one of the current participants" except for that guy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is kind of goofy after all that set up with Sein he's just gone for such a large chunk of the story. Stark, while not appearing as much in this arc, is at least still there.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

wirbel's pals have a good joke associated with them, i like them

Carnival47
Jul 21, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

It is kind of goofy after all that set up with Sein he's just gone for such a large chunk of the story. Stark, while not appearing as much in this arc, is at least still there.

I wonder if the author just had second thoughts about Sein and decided to write him off.

Frost Ace
Oct 26, 2010
I dunno, isn't the Sein stuff kinda just the point of the show writ miniature? "Our time together was brief and we may never see each other again, but it was meaningful and we won't forget it."

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Pretty soon Ubel will have had more screen time than Sein, and that’s criminal

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
She instinctively knew Sein's screentime was something that could be cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sein was also heading north albeit to a different city, and his whole journey was about trying to find his friend who also went north. It's not implausible that at some point in the journey he'll link back up with Frieren and company.

Yawgmoft posted:

She instinctively knew Sein's screentime was something that could be cut

:golfclap: