Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

What if XCOM, but against Nazis and via baguette country?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2085370/Classified_France_44/

I have now bought this and played a few hours. It's not terrible and I have enjoyed myself but it is also not a great game. The biggest problem is that I'm not sure who the target audience is.
The tactical gameplay is ok, and I like the suppression system (where every shot impacts enemy morale even if missed), but there are too many parts missing to make it a challenging game for strategy nerds, many of which are standard now (no unit permadeath, no cover destruction, no weapon customisation). However it is still too complex to be a casual game with low barriers to entry (the skill trees are huge and there are a lot of different potential team setups)

It has a lot of WW2 detail for nerds who like guns and uniforms (there are a billion different types of shirt and pants) but none of the equipment is moored in reality - everything has seemingly randomly assigned stats like +8% to dodge or +1 accuracy, so you have stuff like the standard metal helmet providing no bonus but a cool beret gives you +1 armour. This would not be a problem in a fantasy game but is obviously more of an issue in something with realistic grounding.

There are also attempts to strike a serious tone (with commentary about Nazi atrocities and deportations of Jews) but the Nazis have been made into arcade game enemies (where they have decided that the Feld gendarmerie are some elite force with +1 stats over regular army soldiers, and the "Gestapo soldiers" with +1 stats over them, and the "elite SS super soldiers" +1 over them, etc.)

also some of the politics is kind of funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I have now bought this and played a few hours. It's not terrible and I have enjoyed myself but it is also not a great game. The biggest problem is that I'm not sure who the target audience is.
The tactical gameplay is ok, and I like the suppression system (where every shot impacts enemy morale even if missed), but there are too many parts missing to make it a challenging game for strategy nerds, many of which are standard now (no unit permadeath, no cover destruction, no weapon customisation). However it is still too complex to be a casual game with low barriers to entry (the skill trees are huge and there are a lot of different potential team setups)

It has a lot of WW2 detail for nerds who like guns and uniforms (there are a billion different types of shirt and pants) but none of the equipment is moored in reality - everything has seemingly randomly assigned stats like +8% to dodge or +1 accuracy, so you have stuff like the standard metal helmet providing no bonus but a cool beret gives you +1 armour. This would not be a problem in a fantasy game but is obviously more of an issue in something with realistic grounding.

There are also attempts to strike a serious tone (with commentary about Nazi atrocities and deportations of Jews) but the Nazis have been made into arcade game enemies (where they have decided that the Feld gendarmerie are some elite force with +1 stats over regular army soldiers, and the "Gestapo soldiers" with +1 stats over them, and the "elite SS super soldiers" +1 over them, etc.)

also some of the politics is kind of funny

I was literally catching up to this thread now and was going to ask if anyone had checked in on it.

Because muggins here has found the C&C Ultimate Collection got released this Friday and is now spending the evening trying to fix the loving menus on Tiberian Sun. Only a 25-year-old bug, EA. No worries. Guess it's GENerals for the time being then.

But also, sad the Worms developer WWII XCOM isn't as refined. Maybe a few patches are needed.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Tekopo posted:

The best ACW movie is Cold Mountain, because most if not everything else is some Lost Cause trash. I still enjoy Gettysburg but christ if it doesn't paint the confederates as saints

Not Free State of Jones? No love for the hero strangling a R. E. Lee looking aristo bastard with a belt after he tries to crawl away on his knees?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

FrancisFukyomama posted:

wasn’t a big concern with bolt actions with internal magazines even in ww1 was that ammo consumption would outstrip production capabilities? when did that become a small enough of a factor that giving everyone auto weapons seemed like a worthwhile choice

When cartridges started being made by machine and not rolled by hand, was a big part of it.

Actually producing metal cartridges was incredibly difficult for a long time. Particularly ones that would extract reliably and not break apart.

Iirc one of the civil war carbines used a rubber case for that reason,

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 02:54 on Mar 10, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

When cartridges started being made by machine and not rolled by hand, was a big part of it.

Actually producing metal cartridges was incredibly difficult for a long time. Particularly ones that would extract reliably and not break apart.

Iirc one of the civil war carbines used a rubber case for that reason,

I thought most rounds during the American Civil War were in paper cartridges?

Source: badly remembering parts of The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I was responding to magazine bolt action rifles, which do require metallic cartridges.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pomeroy posted:

Not Free State of Jones? No love for the hero strangling a R. E. Lee looking aristo bastard with a belt after he tries to crawl away on his knees?

oh yeah i never got around to seeing that. was it any good

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Pretty decent. It builds the story up with a lot more action than what really happened, but that's just kind of Hollywood.

The crazy part, and probably what helped bury it, is that they didn't back away from the bummer end of it all. The 3rd act didn't really shy away from anything and featured a bunch of stuff about the rise of legal slavery after the war. Just watching a dream die without any shred of hope.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

What is this game?

It reminds me of Aurora 4X, so I'm intrigued.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Virtual Russian posted:

What is this game?

It reminds me of Aurora 4X, so I'm intrigued.

It's NEBULOUS: Fleet Command. The screenshots are from the dev build for the strategic layer that's currently not available to players (right?). It's currently 'only' a tactical spaceships game. In terms of realism it's below Children of a Dead Earth but above almost any other spaceship combat game.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 08:36 on Mar 10, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh yeah i never got around to seeing that. was it any good

pretty good.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah never saw Free State of Jones myself either

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

BearsBearsBears posted:

It's NEBULOUS: Fleet Command. The screenshots are from the dev build for the strategic layer that's currently not available to players (right?). It's currently 'only' a tactical spaceships game. In terms of realism it's below Children of a Dead Earth but above almost any other spaceship combat game.

Really wish they added Newtonian mechanics to it. It just bugs me seeing ships under steam in space and not constantly accelerating.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Sorta related to gun procurement chat so I'll ask here since it's in my mind: A long time ago I remember reading about or reading a post describing a situation where the Israeli army determined that since the huge majority of casualties caused by infantry was by the big machine guns or whatever the average infantryman didn't need a rifle so they gave them all uzis.
But then in actual combat they found the infantry were really reluctant to engage the enemy anymore since psychologically at least their ability to exchange fire at range had been stunted. Does that actually sound like something that happened or has time butchered my memory

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

No, that happened, in 1967.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

No, that happened, in 1967.

Phew, thank you! I can hugely narrow my search now; I was describing the situation to friends and then internally was like, "Did that even happen? I better get some details and receipts on this or I'm just being the classic pop-military history 'well you see, the maniple formation was more versatile than the phalanx 🤓' guy"

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

IIRC FF brought this up in the I/P thread in a post about the Golan Heights, amid an explanation of defensive tactics in hilly terrain---where is the optimal positioning is on the back slope of the 1st hill---that limits the usefulness of rifles vs shorter ranged and trench clearing weaponry. I don't recall the exact terminology for that defensive position

Rodney The Yam II has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Mar 10, 2024

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Here

Frosted Flake posted:

This is where everything comes together.

The Golan Heights are close terrain. That does make them hard to attack, because you have to overcome a determined infantry defence at close quarters. This is in contrast to open terrain where you can (hopefully, and this was Israel's preferred tactic) shoot the enemy off their position at extreme range. Think of it like Gaza, defensible terrain typically means defensible at close quarters, because the attacker has the leisure of assembling forces ahead of time and will just use their numerical superiority unless they have to close in restricted terrain. Then it becomes an even contest of company vs company, battalion vs battalion.

In 1967 and 73 a lot of the fighting was at point blank range, bayonets and all. Israel paid an incredible cost to hold them.

Okay, think of what the Israeli army is like today.

They have high ground, and fortifications, but they have to hold those from a determined attacker.

Hills are not actually defended at the top of the hill, I realize this is what most people think.

The reason is that, because the attacker decides how many forces to bring to the battle, if you have one tank at the top of the hill, it can see everything - and be seen by everything - the enemy simply brings five and shoots you off the position. A tank can only ever shoot one other tank at a time, so being on the top of a hill is a losing proposition and has been since the start of the gunpowder age.

Instead, there's the military crest, where the enemy still has an uphill fight, but they can't see, and shoot you with all of their forces from kilometres around. They have to close with bayonets and grenades to displace you, if you're committed to holding there.

For forces that are outnumbered and/or outgunned, the reverse slope, the area behind the crest of the hill, is actually the best. The enemy must expose themselves to attack you, and cannot fire at you from the other side of the hill. That means, rather than being massively outnumbered, you're only practically outnumbered by however many enemy soldiers crest the hill at a time. It also means they can't just shoot you off your position with tank guns.

Before UAVs (I would argue even now because UAVs are overrated) they also couldn't see if they were having an effect on your trenches with mortars. Artillery is not very good at hitting some parts of the reverse slope, so you might avoid bombardment altogether if you site your positions correctly. The enemy has to really know their business to even know the extent of your positions, because, remember, they can't see them from their own lines.

Great. But as I said, this means that you have to defend your trenches at point blank range, which is your advantage, yes, but also means you take casualties to stop them.

e: this ties into the discussion in the Ukraine thread about how the basic IDF infantry weapon in 1967 and 1973 was the Uzi. At the ranges Israel preferred to hold positions against their numerically superior Arab opponents, the Uzi was all that was required. The IDF now is not going to have their soldiers fight in a way where the enemy stumbles into their trenches by accident and the battle takes place at point blank range.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I know it's science fiction and all but Helldivers 2 conveys this feeling of firepower really well where a lot of your kills comes from "crew-served weapons" and supporting/indirect fires. The assault rifle isn't actually all that great because you need to keep reloading all the time and its main advantage is retaining mobility.

At the minimun you want an MG to really lay down a base of fire, and ideally you'd be killing bugs with artillery or air support.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

gradenko_2000 posted:

I know it's science fiction and all but Helldivers 2 conveys this feeling of firepower really well where a lot of your kills comes from "crew-served weapons" and supporting/indirect fires. The assault rifle isn't actually all that great because you need to keep reloading all the time and its main advantage is retaining mobility.

At the minimun you want an MG to really lay down a base of fire, and ideally you'd be killing bugs with artillery or air support.

Really should grab that since I hear it rips off the MGSV control scheme from the Fox Engine and the Dunkey video I saw made it look a hoot. The squad support weapons and calling in ortillery is also pretty dope.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There's some fun support stuff like some of the bigger AT weapons have an ammo backpack that you can carry and do a painfully slow reload, or a buddy can carry it and reload you and do it about 10 times as fast.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Shogun is giving me a hankering for some Total War Shogun 2.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

skooma512 posted:

Is it as good as the original miniseries or novel?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Is it as good as the original miniseries or novel?

way better than the original miniseries

also one of the few prestige shows that understands the importance of good camera work

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

skooma512 posted:

there is a good "all clans playable" mod that comes with versions with and without some unique bonuses added for all of them for the vanilla campaign
helps keeps things fresh

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Helldiver is the Battallion Tactical Group experience with American Characteristics?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

Helldiver is the Battallion Tactical Group experience with American Characteristics?

absolutely, super earth's designs are so bad they give even the american MIC a run for it's money

the (in game vtol) pelican gives the osprey a solid competitor for worst aircraft

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I know it's science fiction and all but Helldivers 2 conveys this feeling of firepower really well where a lot of your kills comes from "crew-served weapons" and supporting/indirect fires.

One of my bros was talking about this during a match and thats what prompted the uzi example/anecdote lol

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

atelier morgan posted:

absolutely, super earth's designs are so bad they give even the american MIC a run for it's money

the (in game vtol) pelican gives the osprey a solid competitor for worst aircraft

Halo also has spectacularly dysfunctional weapons, vehicles and doctrine.

The writers tied themselves to the ammunition of the future being 7.62x51, brass case, conventional FMJ, and all.

This is funnier in the context of the massive Arma 3 mod to bring in all of the weapons and equipment from all of the Halo games, which is universally worse than the 2035 Arma 3 stuff or even contemporary hardware when you put it all in that sandbox simulator.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 23:58 on Mar 10, 2024

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

this reminds me of the expanded Aliens universe where the galaxy is basically space-communists versus space-americans and space-british/japanese, and while the space-americans have the popular pulse rifle, the space-commies have basically a space-AK, it's some crazy poo poo but it's kind of loving funny that at least the material i read paints the space-commies as the good guys

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The canonical USCM doctrine of an interstellar spaceship that transports 30 guys, and then lands a handful in wheeled APC with no ground clearance that can only hold like 6 of them, that’s pretty funny too.

I don’t know how steadicam rigs work, but the smartgun could maybe, possibly, be useful? And that’s about it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

yeah it's another aspect of how alien tries to build its corporate dystopia, but you'll still get people watching aliens and think the problem is a few bad apples instead of the apparatus as a whole

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Free League Aliens RPG, like all of their licensed stuff, is amazing, though it just makes me wonder how the Union of Progressive Peoples hasn’t decisively won since the Three World Empire and United Americas are dysfunctional in the extreme.

There’s no reason for the UPP to gently caress around with xenomorphs, really just need to run out the clock.

e: The writers don’t seem to see it that way,

“Alien: Into Charybdis is a 2021 novel, written by Alex White and published by Titan Books. A sequel to White's earlier work Alien: The Cold Forge, the novel centers around a political crisis between the United Americas and Iran when a crew of American engineers are detained at the Iranian-run Charybdis installation on the planet Hasanova. When a Xenomorph outbreak then occurs at the facility, the USCM are called in to control the situation — but with political tensions so high, the appearance of American troops on Iranian territory may prove to do more harm than good. “

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 00:14 on Mar 11, 2024

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The Free League Aliens RPG, like all of their licensed stuff, is amazing, though it just makes me wonder how the Union of Progressive Peoples hasn’t decisively won since the Three World Empire and United Americas are dysfunctional in the extreme.

There’s no reason for the UPP to gently caress around with xenomorphs, really just need to run out the clock.
yeah that's where I got the stuff on the expanded universe as well, the Alien RPG is some good poo poo and has some of the best one-shot premade campaigns in the business

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

My impression is that the scenario characters being a mix of stupid, selfish, secret androids, WY operatives, or having hidden agendas means that you need a good DM and people you like playing with, maybe more than most games.

That can be a lot of fun but I’m remembering my friends’ Pathfinder group that was derailed by the “hilarious” antics of a Bard/Rogue that was “random”.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The best bit in Alien is when Ripley gives a stern talking to to the couple of maintenance guys, and then as soon as she leaves they twist one knob to turn off the steam jets that made it look like there was way more work to do than there was.

Heroes

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

i've ran the first "movie" twice and it ran pretty well both times but yeah, you gotta have people on board that play to the characters

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

My character in every game is someone who read the rules and set out to be as competent a professional as the setting allows.
:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

My character in every game is someone who read the rules and set out to be as competent a professional as the setting allows.
:colbert:
/