Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm sorry, back up. Matt Berry is his son?!

No, but it feels right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm sorry, back up. Matt Berry is his son?!

Brian plays his character's dad in the sitcom Toast of London.

It's a good resemblance to be honest

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

This makes me wonder what causes that feeling. Of all the things, for example, the sound of cardboard scraping does that to me, especially if I'm the one scraping it, but I've never heard of anyone else having the same experience. Why does it also seem ten times worse after I cut my nails too? Bizarre.

tl;dr: Not really clear, but the frequency range present in the noises trigger centers in our wee brains related to survival and keeping babies alive etc. :shrug:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

This makes me wonder what causes that feeling. Of all the things, for example, the sound of cardboard scraping does that to me, especially if I'm the one scraping it, but I've never heard of anyone else having the same experience. Why does it also seem ten times worse after I cut my nails too? Bizarre.

I think this falls into the realm of ASMR but the bad version.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
autonomous sensory :gonk: response

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Brian plays his character's dad in the sitcom Toast of London.

It's a good resemblance to be honest

Man I do not remember that at all.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

loving Woke Thatcher, trans-ing the state so we can't even fight against the Asiatic CIS.

A female leader, how woke.

And the much, much bigger issue of trans people accessing healthcare? *crickets*

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

putting this one away for mrs norman

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

that picture was taken right after someone had asked him exactly how big of a oval office he is

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
I'm so tired

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

Like it's weird, it actually makes me shiver and want to puke. What really confuses me is the fact that it's worse when I've just cut my nails and licking just under them where they connect to the skin kinda helps. The human body is truly a strange machine sometimes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bessantj posted:

And the much, much bigger issue of trans people accessing healthcare? *crickets*

don't put it on his radar or he'll say trans people can't have it tbh

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

bessantj posted:

Didn't Wes Streeting last month talk about how they wanted to make hospitals have dedicated single sex wards?

With the implication being that Trans people would have special Trans only hospitals to go to. But the reality would be "no health care for you!"

(The actual reality is none of this could happen, as it would be impossible to properly implement. )

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Currently reading Sexing the Body: Gender Politics and the Construction of Sexuality, the new 2020 version has a whole bit on trans rights and current thinking on gender identity later on, but you need to read the 2000 part mostly about intersectional feminism and intersex issues first to know what she's talking about, and there's a chunk in there about how the state and institutions formalized and upheld the sex binary using fears of women voting, men in women's sports, same sex marriage, etc. (that's where the Mrs. Norman sexologist was from).

quote:

The members of the International Olympic Committee remain convinced that a more scientifically advanced method of testing will be able to reveal the true sex of each athlete. But why is the IOC so worried about sex testing? In part, IOC rules reflect cold war political anxieties: during the 1968 Olympics, for instance, the IOC instituted “scientific” sex testing in response to rumors that some Eastern European competitors were trying to win glory for the Communist cause by cheating—having men masquerade as women to gain unfair advantage. The only known case of a man infiltrating women’s competition occurred back in 1936 when Hermann Ratjen, a member of the Nazi Youth, entered the women’s high-jump competition as “Dora.” His maleness didn’t translate into much of an advantage: he made it to the finals, but came in fourth, behind three women.
So the grand IOC fear
  • Is from an anti-Communist conspiracy theory from the 60s
  • Only actually happened once, and that was a literal Nazi
  • The nazi fell on his rear end and lost

I'm glad the party of common sense is focusing on these issues.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Random question apropos of nothing - which of the non-M Iain Banks books do any of ye think would make a good TV show?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Failed Imagineer posted:

Random question apropos of nothing - which of the non-M Iain Banks books do any of ye think would make a good TV show?

Didn't they already do The Crow Road for one?

I'd love to see The Bridge with Scots barbarian interludes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

They've already done that my dude, there's quite a lot of them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It doesn't mean there can't be more

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I remember The Crow Road being good, but it was the mid 90s and I was an idiot lad so can't be sure.

gently caress doing Banks adaptations though, I want a Lanark TV series. HBO make this happen since Poor Things was such a hit.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They what

Since when

e: oh wow
I was going to suggest The Crow Road, guess i know what I'm watching next

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 12, 2024

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Question IRL posted:

Didn't Wes Streeting last month talk about how they wanted to make hospitals have dedicated single sex wards?

With the implication being that Trans people would have special Trans only hospitals to go to. But the reality would be "no health care for you!"

No they'd just put trans women with cis men and trans men with cis women because this is a logical idea that everyone will be comfortable with

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Runcible Cat posted:

Didn't they already do The Crow Road for one?

I'd love to see The Bridge with Scots barbarian interludes.

I can see The Bridge as a TV show in my imagination but I don't know whether it would translate to TV very well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's incredibly tiresome when people who style themselves as leaders just trot out the most basic idiot position that reeks of the moral and intellectual sewer that they dredged it out of.

I'm a big strong leader that's why I live in permanent cringing terror of a daily mail reader saying mean things about me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mrpwase posted:

I can see The Bridge as a TV show in my imagination but I don't know whether it would translate to TV very well.

Sadly there's already a television show called The Bridge about the bridge between Malmo & Copenhagen, probably. (It's actually a police procedural about the interactions between Danish & Swedish filth but I like the idea that it's just about the Oresund Bridge itself)

The Crow Road telly show (with Peter Capaldi as the missing uncle) still stands up, saw it a couple of Christmases ago. Sadly it's not still on the iPlayer.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 12, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Sadly there's already a television show called The Bridge about the bridge between Malmo & Copenhagen, probably.

I crossed that bridge on a train but disappointingly was not murdered. Also Malmö is pretty boring

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I always confuse Malmö with the German sweet brand Maoam, and I think they should switch names to prevent this.

Also Örebro and Haribo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Malmö is the one that does cringe metal, although Gothenburg originated the genre.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I don't want to think about the Wasp Factory, ever :can:

(which sits in a very strange mental pile next to, for example, Goodnight Mr Tom)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
To be fair there is that quite horrible bit where Mr. Tom finds William in London tied up and covered in piss and poo poo

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Some happy breaking news :toot:
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1767570570693034449

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

Malmö is the one that does cringe metal, although Gothenburg originated the genre.

Imma debate this. I checked the ever reliable metal-archives.com & can't find much of note from Malmo. Silencer were there at some point but started in Stockholm, & only the hardened fans of DSBM (not to be confused with NSBM) knock Silencer.

Meanwhile Umeå is like half the size of Malmo & gave us Cult of Luna, Meshuggah, The Refused, AC4, & just generally a pretty vibrant punk & hardcore scene. I don't particularly love melodic death metal but Gothenburg definitely has that, Stockholm has a host of bands like Opeth, Candlemass, Katatonia, Bloodbath.

Honestly, Malmo is punching well below its weight class. Places like Uppsala, Linköping, even Halmstad have it beat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if Farage will be out protesting Romania sending these rapists to the UK.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

don't put it on his radar or he'll say trans people can't have it tbh

They already don't have access. For a taste of what it is like watch this Philosophy Tube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1eWIshUzr8

The Question IRL posted:

(The actual reality is none of this could happen, as it would be impossible to properly implement. )

Yeah, suddenly all wards have 'gender inspectors.'

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Oh do gently caress off, Starmer, the Telegraph isn't going to shag you.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

LEAVE KATE ALONE!!!!!

I saw another headline earlier stating that Meghan *MUST* speak out publicly in support of Kate. The hypocrisy and double standards are getting pretty blatant now :allears:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah the paper saying that Meghan made Kate cry and is in league with the Obamas calling people trolls and conspiracy theorists.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

LAY OFF, KATE

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
We aren’t really attacking Kate, everything seems to be based around the fact we are (legitimately or not) concerned she hasn’t been seen.

I was there back in 1990 where they changed the actress of Pippa from Home and Away. They gaslit us and said that it was Pippa, but it wasn’t Pippa, it was someone else.

The Royal Family can go down a Home and Away slippery slope of replacing people, we want to stop this The Sun, why do you support body snatchers?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The best part was the reason the cops made this arrest was because, once again, a video that Tate made.

https://twitter.com/schizarella/status/1767550882735136885?t=k9wd3tiATaVRwazBoajqyw&s=19

(For those without Twitter.)

"BREAKING: Andrew Tate has been arrested AGAIN after Adin Ross inadvertently leaked Tate's escape plans on his stream.

Tate told Ross he would leave Romania "soon" leading to the arrest."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

fuctifino posted:

LEAVE KATE ALONE!!!!!

I saw another headline earlier stating that Meghan *MUST* speak out publicly in support of Kate. The hypocrisy and double standards are getting pretty blatant now :allears:

They should be telling William that, surely.