Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

So you were Iggy’s ancestor?

Also, do you have a link to the GURPS JoJo rules?

Not really. It was written in Italian and It was 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

ohhyeah posted:

Q: has anyone written an essay about how roleplaying games, where rules like attributes break down under scrutiny, really parallel the real world, where simple rules about like biology and physics have all sorts of complications and edge cases? Feels like an area where someone way smarter than me has written something good.
I thought about this when people were debating RPG sanity systems. The obvious bad example everyone uses is Palladium Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, where you can suffer SAN failure and gain pedophilia as your disorder. It's obviously dumb but on reflection it's basically how Freudian Psychoanalytics says paraphilias develop. You undergo a weird or traumatic experience and it gives you some sexual hangup associated with it. You might still say "that's stupid" and I'd agree with you, but at that point we're no longer arguing with the rules author, we're arguing with adherents of an outmodded but still enormously influential theory.

I think this is the end result of any discussion about realism. With enough searching you can always find an example to show why something does or doesn't match with real life.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Runa posted:

Shadowrun is set ostensibly in the real world awakened to magic and there are "races" as we know them and there are "metatypes," as in types of metahuman, which map to classic fantasy races. So it is possible to be a Latina elf, a white orc, a black dwarf, an Asian troll, etc. This is because in Shadowrun's world, people were already categorized into these groups before magic reemerged and changed large swathes of them into different forms.

Though it is also quite possible to have people in D&D whose features map to these combinations, if you play Baldur's Gate 3 for example the real world genetic clades that get mapped to "races" in real life aren't identified as such because presumably Faerun lacks the context that would create such distinctions, and instead uses "race" to refer to what Shadowrun would call metatype.

Runa posted:

This pretty much just comes down to, have you ever played Shadowrun before.

I've never actually played Shadowrun on tabletop but I've played a ton of the videogames across different generations and I've read Ice Phisherman's Blake Island CYOA/web serial on these forums. It's a good read, though I fell off after he said some things that weirded me out during the height of the pandemic. Stuff has calmed down now but things cannot really be the same after that.

I am vaguely aware of shadowrun but only as "d&d but crudely mushed into cyberpunk" so that explaination actually helps, thank you. The only attempt I ever made was attempting to made some street samurai orc lady for a game that never got off the ground (this was over ten years ago now) so I did not remember any of these details and I wasn't inclined to give hyphz the benefit of the doubt which is why I jumped down their throat like an rear end in a top hat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

YggdrasilTM posted:

Not really. It was written in Italian and It was 20 years ago.
Of course it was written in Italian!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nessus posted:

Of course it was written in Italian!

That is the least surprising thing anybody could've told me about a fanmade JoJo GURPS

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Runa posted:

Shadowrun is set ostensibly in the real world awakened to magic and there are "races" as we know them and there are "metatypes," as in types of metahuman, which map to classic fantasy races. So it is possible to be a Latina elf, a white orc, a black dwarf, an Asian troll, etc. This is because in Shadowrun's world, people were already categorized into these groups before magic reemerged and changed large swathes of them into different forms.

Though it is also quite possible to have people in D&D whose features map to these combinations, if you play Baldur's Gate 3 for example the real world genetic clades that get mapped to "races" in real life aren't identified as such because presumably Faerun lacks the context that would create such distinctions, and instead uses "race" to refer to what Shadowrun would call metatype.

BG3 doesn't want to deal with it and I don't blame them, but Faerûn has a Mesoamerica equivalent, an East Asia equivalent, Roma equivalents, and probably way more. It was written by humans and therefore is packed to the very gills with exisiting human assumptions and biases.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Runa posted:

That is the least surprising thing anybody could've told me about a fanmade JoJo GURPS
Le bizzarre avventure di Jojo per GURPS; Italian; 1D6 SAN (2 hours/1 week). Contains the following spells: Contact Nyarlathotep, Awaken [Stand]

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

theironjef posted:

BG3 doesn't want to deal with it and I don't blame them, but Faerûn has a Mesoamerica equivalent, an East Asia equivalent, Roma equivalents, and probably way more. It was written by humans and therefore is packed to the very gills with exisiting human assumptions and biases.

You know this all also tracks and just reminded me that Kara-Tur 'exists'

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Now I'm just regretting that I don't read Spanish or Portuguese and am thus missing out on a vast wealth of fanmade Saint Seiya TTRPG material

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Runa posted:

You know this all also tracks and just reminded me that Kara-Tur 'exists'

Yoshimo is from there, so it gets a call out. He even randomly speaks gratuitous Japanese in BG2.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Cernd was also definitely rocking more than a few Native American stereotypes, though BG3 seems to have tried to avoid that stuff.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bg3 is woke.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Encouraging carnal vampire/bear relations. And they're both dudes. Why can't this video game just be three dollar outfits you put on one Asian supermodel with a Pixar mom rear end like the founding fathers intended.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jimbozig posted:

I agree for the most part. But it's also true that you could just not do that. [snip] and then just not have a species that is more intelligent.

One of the best ways to minimise your chances of falling into a hole is not to dig the hole in the first place. If you're working entirely on a solo project 100% under the control of yourself then yeah you can just avoid ever granting bonuses to mental stats via race - but once third parties enter the mix it's pretty much inevitable that someone will go "Oh these guys have +2 to Str and these guys have +2 Dex, well these guys I'm making are pretty smart and it'd be nice to fill out the gap!"

And yeah you can write "Only physical stats can get racial bonuses because-" somewhere, but that's digging a hole, building a nice path to the hole, and putting up a sign in a side room of the visitor's centre reading "BTW please don't fall into the path hole"

Jimbozig posted:

You could have trolls be bigger and therefore stronger but not necessarily more athletic
You mean like this?

Splicer posted:

They can instead be Large [from being a] troll, which comes with a set package of benefits such as a higher carrying and lifting capacity than their raw strength score may indicate, and possibly as a thematic tag to justify bennie use.
because this is the pleasant path with a much nicer view that doesn't even go near the hole.

And also skips all the gameplay issues that can potentially arise from unequal ability score availability.

Jimbozig posted:

Intelligence has its own issues which is that unlike strength, which is basically a real thing that D&D implements badly, intelligence isn't even real- at least not the way D&D thinks it is. Which sort of gets to Kestral's question... in what way would the fantasy creature be more or less intelligent and how would that manifest? In the real world, are orcas more or less intelligent than us and how can we tell for sure? (Answer: we don't know for sure and don't even know how to find out. All we have are suspicions and suppositions.)

An "education" stat would functionally be closer to the way D&D actually works. Being broadly educated makes further education easier. Just like practicing a broad range of athletic skills makes learning new athletic skills easier. I'm absolutely a DTAS diehard, at least in the context of D&D, but if you were going to have a set of broad things that act as the roots for specific skills, I think that Education, Athleticism, and something like Sociability would be a good starting point: they are traits that people genuinely can have; they are derived from practicing specific skills and spending time in that area; they make it easier to learn similar new skills; they improve performance on tasks the possessor has never tried before.

But they are manifestly acquired traits. Calling it education instead of intelligence makes that crystal clear.
OK but at this point you no longer have a STR stat either so you can't give your troll +2 STR anyway. Which to be clear, is absolutely cool beans by me, but I think you've lost track of your original complaint! As I've said, it's perfectly fine to give your trolls BigHuge as an inherent trait*, it just gets messy when it's in the format of a direct boost to an ability score for the reasons I already listed.

*well I mean you can obviously still gently caress it up by calling it "Strength of the bestial ape-men" and including a backstory of them being dragged out of savagery by OK finishing this feels gross, it was a Hadozee reference.

Jimbozig posted:

It would be obviously stupid to say that an elf is born with more education than a troll.
Oh you sweet summer child, I genuinely envy your faith in humanity. You'd get the argument that "As a very long lived race of course Elvish adventurers would start with a higher education score," or "Well these guys are intelligent THEREFORE they would get a bonus to education due to learning more in the time before they went adventuring," or just some variation of "an innate/cultural appreciation for learning" that ultimately decays to

Splicer posted:

*nods sagely* so it's just their culture that makes this race quantifiably dumber than the civilised races. Definitely nothing problematic there and it definitely has no parallels to real world attitudes with horrible historical real world outcomes we're still finding new mass graves of to this day.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 14, 2024

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

All of this seems like a real good reason to not have mental stats at all.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Every time I think about mental stat penalties, I just think of the Khtsoyis in World Tree, who have an Int penalty as part of their issues from literally being created by the stupid little-brother creator deity who was bad at making life, but where the book still has the sense to say "even if the average Khtsoyis is a little dumber than an average member of the other races, plenty of them are at least average intelligence or smarter, and the widespread bigotry they face is a much larger obstacle than any posed by their innate capabilities." (And some of the writing about these guys is still racist! But it really strikes me how few games acknowledge that an Int penalty doesn't mean every member of a race is a huge dummy.)

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think if you're dead set on giving your fantasy species cool unique traits you should just give them unique magical traits (including humans) rather than trying to ascribe fundamental ability boni.

Like it's way cooler if elves can recall skills known by their past lives, which functionally makes them more intelligent without the danger of real world parallels. That danger still exists depending on how racist the designer of your magic traits happens to be but at least it's not fundamentally broken.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Halloween Jack posted:

The Internet is Highlander and when I catch someone doing something bad they go away forever as I absorb all of their power

I see you've been to Twitter.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mendrian posted:

I think if you're dead set on giving your fantasy species cool unique traits you should just give them unique magical traits (including humans) rather than trying to ascribe fundamental ability boni.

Like it's way cooler if elves can recall skills known by their past lives, which functionally makes them more intelligent without the danger of real world parallels. That danger still exists depending on how racist the designer of your magic traits happens to be but at least it's not fundamentally broken.

I'm also fond of Fragged, yes

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I really think a few folks have cottoned on to the only good solution, which is to not have any mechanic in your game that is, or even pretends to be, quantifying intelligence. As a number or score or scale. Because it isn't. And the people who first insisted that it is, were racists intentionally creating a system for justifying racism and using faulty (at best) and falsified (very commonly) evidence to give it the veneer of scientific truth, and that history is irrevocably weighing down any and all future attempts to divorce some new stat representing mental ability or capacity.

It is also in my opinion totally unnecessary. A game can provide mechanics for learned information types, such as education or skills, but that doesn't require some unitary (or binary or whatever) underlying "score" that declares how fundamentally smart or stupid someone is. You can build systems that allow players to play characters that can make extraordinary mental feats: many of them have so little impact on gameplay that they might as well be free descriptors, like "my guy can do advanced math in his head" or "my lady is amazing at spatial reasoning" without actually quantifying those either. If you want to have psychics, that doesn't have to be related to being a superior mental being. If you want one kind of character to get to have more skills or cast bigger spells or plug their brain into the matrix or make the calculations to travel through time via a slingshot maneuver around the sun, OK, give them a skill or spend some points to get to do that. It doesn't have to be tied, mechanically or descriptively, to any notion of "my character has a higher smartness than another character."

This doesn't have to constrain roleplay, either. If you want to play a character that is not too bright, just do so. If you want to say that trolls are well known to be gullible and struggle with complex language, OK, I guess, flirts with some old racist tropes and is also kinda a boring re-tread of the same fantasy poo poo we've been failing to move on from for 100 years now, but that still doesn't require a blanket statement of "trolls are all low intelligence". Talk about the reputation they have. I've read fairy tales with dumb trolls but I haven't tested every troll that ever lived and neither has anyone else, so why should they have some declarative limit on their maximum or even their average smartness, which again, isn't a unitary thing that you can measure or discover or narrow down to or gloss to in any legitimate way?

Are animals stupid? Most animals have the mental abilities they need to be excellent survivors in the niche they occupy. Judgements beyond that are mostly anthropocentrism. And, critically, people aren't animals, and if you decide to have animal-people, maybe let's wait a couple centuries past the last time someone published The Bell Curve or anything like it, before we say that the pig-animal-people are dumber than us but the owl-animal-people are wiser, right?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 15, 2024

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

the pig-animal-people are dumber than us but the owl-animal-people are wiser, right?

On top of everything else, this should be the other way around

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I know, right?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Pigs see Man as their peer.

And they will definitely eat you if they get the chance.

They are correct on both counts imo.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Intelligence isn’t unitary, but neither are the things represented by the other ability scores. (Wisdom in particular has some really bizarre implications, like aging in 3.5 actually improving your senses.)

More seriously, though, there are trade-offs here. Once you’ve removed the concept of “my character has a higher smartness than another character” from an RPG, you’ve removed part of the appeal of playing a wizard or a psychic or a detective or whatever.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Are stats like 'Technical' or 'Mechanical' (or anything representing "aptitude") similarly problematic?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Silver2195 posted:

More seriously, though, there are trade-offs here. Once you’ve removed the concept of “my character has a higher smartness than another character” from an RPG, you’ve removed part of the appeal of playing a wizard or a psychic or a detective or whatever.

Anyone that appeals to can just suffer IMO.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

One could simulate a smartypants by stacking various sources of bonuses. If you have a hypothetical twenty points of customization stuff that is not "the entry fee for playing the game," and you spend ten of them on things that enhance your perception and mental skills, why, you've certainly become a smart little guy!

But these would be choices you make, not a flat 'Am Smarter Than.'

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Surely this can just be modeled by giving the character a skill related to their actual technical expertise, so they're getting the same in-game problem-solving advantage from using their Investigation or Psychometry or Arcane Minutiae skills instead of a blanket smartness?

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Y'all made me go find my favorite back and forth between the Lee Gold Alarums and Excursions Group and TSR. It is never a fun time to see the stupid poo poo the group in the Twin Cities decided and it's even less fun to try and talk about and/or fix it.

These were in reaction to an article from Len Lakofka in Dragon issue 3: https://www.annarchive.com/files/Drmg003.pdf

Some fun bits:

Len Lakofka posted:

There will be four major groups in which women may enter. They may be FIGHTERS, MAGIC USERS, THIEVES and CLERICS. They may progress to the level of men in the area of magic and, in some ways, surpass men as thieves. Elven women may rise especially to high levels in clerics to the elves. Only as fighters are women clearly behind men in all
cases but even they have attributes that their male counterparts do not!

Characteristics:
Strength 18 sided die and 1 six sided die.
Wisdom, Intelligence, Dexterity and Constitution all use 3 6 sided dice.

(Any woman scoring 13 or 14 in strength may add 1 to her constitution score.)

Instead of Charisma BEAUTY is rated on 2 20 sided dice numbered 1- 10 (so the range is 2-20, not 2-40.)

Prime Requisites
Wisdom for clerics
Intelligence for Magic Users
Strength for Fighters (except that ‘average’ is not 7-10 and not 9-12)
Dexterity for Thieves
Intelligence is important to upper level thieves when magic is used

Beauty and exceptional Beauty (15-18) (19-20) are important to thieves, fighters and magic users. Clerics may not use beauty if they are lawful or neutral. Chaotic Clerics may use their beauty score.

Fighting Women
Fighting Women (warriors) may incorporate the spells of Seduction, Charm Men or Charm Humanoid Monster depending on their level and beauty scores (see spells of seduction, et al). Women’s strength scores range from 2-14. Thus some weaponry and types of armor are too difficult for them to wield/bear without undue fatigue. Women are allowed 1000 points of encumbrance plus 50 times Strength rating at no movement loss. Anything over that weight reduces figure to half speed. Maximum load is 1.8 times encumbrance score. Women of ST 10 or lower wield Flail Battle Axes, Morning Stars at -1; Pole Arms, Halberd, Pike and Two Handed Sword at -2. Women of ST 12 or lower wield only the latter group at -1. Plate armor has a 20% greater fatigue rating in women of ST 10 or lower 10% in ST 11 or 12. Chainmail has a 10% greater fatigue factor in women of ST 11 or lower. ALL WOMEN wield a dagger at an additional +1.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"Female characters should be treated like males! Also, I made a Damsel class with Wiles"

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Splicer posted:

You mean like this?

Yes! I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was drawing a connection between what you were saying and what Kestral was asking by way of getting a bit deeper into what a +2 INT even means in D&D vs what "intelligence" means (or doesn't mean) IRL.

Kestral posted:

Is it your position that all fictional creatures must be exactly as intelligent as one another, and anything else is a moral failing on someone's part?

Kestral, you weren't directing your question to me, but I've been thinking about it seriously because I think it's a good question and I think it deserves an answer. And I would rather people just answer it than try to dodge the question while being hostile. I liked Nessus' answer.

For me, I don't think it's a moral failing, but I think that assuming it's not intentional racism, it's either a failure of understanding (failing to understand what intelligence is and isn't, falling back on a kind of shared cultural understanding without reflecting on the culture that produced that understanding) or a failure to connect that understanding to their design (probably because they are just doing cargo cult design, or starting with D&D and tweaking without examining the meaning and implication of design elements).

As for the first, I would not pass moral judgement because we all have blind spots, unexamined assumptions, and opinions we absorbed from our surroundings. And frankly, some people don't have the knowledge necessary to really understand what they're getting into - that doesn't make them bad. We can all learn more.

As for the second, I would not pass moral judgement because "making a hack of a thing I like" is perfectly fine morally, and there are plenty of very good reasons to not reinvent the wheel. I might question their taste in liking that particular thing, but not their morality.

But I want to ask you a couple of questions: what does it mean to you for a fantasy species to have lower intelligence? If a player decides to play one, what specifically will they find their character unable to do? Are we talking about portraying them as being similar to humans who have intellectual disabilities?

I think that people mostly instinctually already know that's wrong (or at least very fraught). When I think of popular portrayals of "stupid" characters, what comes to mind is people playing their character as having an anti-intellectual attitude. What I mean is that it's always "Rargh! Gorb hate books!" and never "Gorb sad and embarrassed because Gorb can't read." That there are people who want to understand the things we do but can't because of disability is a sad thought and one that people would mostly rather avoid when playing elves and orcs with their pals.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Even in the early fanzines, they pointed out that intelligence doesn't really make a character intelligent, it was just a limiter on spell casting ability. If you define intelligent as "avoids doing dumb things" and "able to deduce things quickly", most RPG's implementation of intelligence doesn't assist them at all, compared to the strength attribute which lets them actually lift heavier rocks (or gives them a higher probable chance of lifting heavier rocks lol).

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

Yes! I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was drawing a connection between what you were saying and what Kestral was asking by way of getting a bit deeper into what a +2 INT even means in D&D vs what "intelligence" means (or doesn't mean) IRL.

Kestral, you weren't directing your question to me, but I've been thinking about it seriously because I think it's a good question and I think it deserves an answer. And I would rather people just answer it than try to dodge the question while being hostile. I liked Nessus' answer.

For me, I don't think it's a moral failing, but I think that assuming it's not intentional racism, it's either a failure of understanding (failing to understand what intelligence is and isn't, falling back on a kind of shared cultural understanding without reflecting on the culture that produced that understanding) or a failure to connect that understanding to their design (probably because they are just doing cargo cult design, or starting with D&D and tweaking without examining the meaning and implication of design elements).

As for the first, I would not pass moral judgement because we all have blind spots, unexamined assumptions, and opinions we absorbed from our surroundings. And frankly, some people don't have the knowledge necessary to really understand what they're getting into - that doesn't make them bad. We can all learn more.

As for the second, I would not pass moral judgement because "making a hack of a thing I like" is perfectly fine morally, and there are plenty of very good reasons to not reinvent the wheel. I might question their taste in liking that particular thing, but not their morality.

But I want to ask you a couple of questions: what does it mean to you for a fantasy species to have lower intelligence? If a player decides to play one, what specifically will they find their character unable to do? Are we talking about portraying them as being similar to humans who have intellectual disabilities?

I think that people mostly instinctually already know that's wrong (or at least very fraught). When I think of popular portrayals of "stupid" characters, what comes to mind is people playing their character as having an anti-intellectual attitude. What I mean is that it's always "Rargh! Gorb hate books!" and never "Gorb sad and embarrassed because Gorb can't read." That there are people who want to understand the things we do but can't because of disability is a sad thought and one that people would mostly rather avoid when playing elves and orcs with their pals.

Another poster already made this point but: Intelligence isn't real. The idea that there is a single quality, a kind of X factor, that determines fact retention, vocal abilities, inventiveness, curiosity, communication skill, etc, is made up. It's grounded in eugenics and is extremely Eurocentric. It's what leads people to believe the pyramids were built by aliens: because ancient people didn't know about television, so therefore they were stupid about everything including architecture, logistics, and so on. Not only is there no X factor, but the qualities we use to indirectly judge the X factor are culturally bound to our own ideals. For instance, you can't judge someone's communication abilities if you don't share a language. You can't judge someone's creativity if you don't understand their artistic tradition, and so forth.

All of this in the context of fantasy RPGs is already fraught because broad tent pole stats like Strength are also based on barely associated qualities, but we accept them because they're abstract concepts that get certain tropes across. Strength has it's own racist backstory but it's easier to ignore because there are tropes that involve 'high strength' characters that are not, you know, grounded in racism; but Intelligence is a bad concept in or out of context.

EDIT: I'm agreeing with you here, obviously. It's difficult to judge what a 'stupid' character is supposed to look like because we allude to racial and cultural tropes to do so. There are fun ways to play ignorant characters but I think it's best taken case by case.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

What it means in the world's most popular ttrpg is they're 5% less likely to succeed on some rolls, which is nothing or LIFE AND DEATH

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Man imagine telling someone you want to play a Bene Gesserit named Irulan Jessica with a straight face and hoping for respect. Like saying "Hey, pay attention to my serious original character, an X-Man named Juggernaut Wolverine"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Al-Qadim is also set on Faerun, but iirc that one was actually pretty good.

Or maybe I just had a good dm.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think skills/abilities representing how much you know about any given topic is fine. "I know a lot about Elven History", okay, sure. You can even make some assumptions about how that knowledge was gained, whether by reading books or because the character audited a lot of Elven History classes (without actually getting credits for it) or whatever. The problem seems to crop up when you try to use "intelligence" as not only a generalist skill (i.e. I have a high intelligence, so I should know a lot about everything), but also as an explanation for how this knowledge was gained, as though it's some kind of intuition or absorbed via osmosis. If you want a character that knows how to fly a plane, how to design a building, how to change a diaper, and how to plan an invasion, they should have done the needful.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Even in the early fanzines, they pointed out that intelligence doesn't really make a character intelligent, it was just a limiter on spell casting ability. If you define intelligent as "avoids doing dumb things" and "able to deduce things quickly", most RPG's implementation of intelligence doesn't assist them at all, compared to the strength attribute which lets them actually lift heavier rocks (or gives them a higher probable chance of lifting heavier rocks lol).

Some RPGs do have ways to apply Intelligence or similar stats in an "avoids doing dumb things" (Common Sense in GURPS) or "able to deduce things quickly" (Idea rolls in Call of Cthulhu, IIRC) way. Though yeah, most don't, for good reason: it means the GM is playing your character for you. This line of thought is probably why there's no Intelligence stat in Into the Odd.

I think it was in this thread that I floated the idea (somewhat tongue-in-cheekly) of Sciences and Humanities stats instead of an Intelligence stat. Clerics use Humanities because they're drawing their power from anthropomorphic deities, while Wizards use Sciences because they manipulate impersonal forces. I guess Druids are also on the Sciences side of the "two cultures" divide (biology and geology).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 15, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

So, Diablerie?

No, I don't want the internet's soul rattling around in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think IQ in GURPS works okay for what it does- it sets the baseline for perception and willpower as well as most mental-based skills. It is, in most campaigns underpriced for what it is and i always try to recommend people steer clear of the boringly good polymath genius who can be good at everything IQ related at the low low cost of 1 point per skill because it generally tends to be boring in play.

I'm not sure I would ever apply it to a species template, because i know a couple people who've chosen to play characters with a decreased IQ and it is a massive weakness. I mean, a low level of ability to learn and a brain that doesn't remember too well would probably be a problem in real life, too. There is, imo, some level of biological component to what we refer to as mental acuity, based on someone's memory, ability to learn, and attention span, but it has nothing to do with race or anything like that, just the distribution among everyone.