Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Oracle posted:

Dont worry, her Washington Post editorial about the same topic was much less heavily edited to bare facts and she’s still just as lovely.

[/b]

See lockdowns and quarantines don’t work for Covid! Please ignore China, Vietnam, Australia, New Zealand, those don’t count because we ruined it for them.
Also, it’s all lockdowns fault that no one trusts our advice anymore, not because people like me spread outright bullshit about ‘the evidence’ showing kids don’t catch Covid, don’t spread it, and staying six feet apart is enough to protect anyone, and masks don’t work, or do but only for doctors, or wait double mask, no cloth is fine, cloth does nothing, they only work if everyone wears them… also the vaccines are almost as effective as measles vaccines and herd immunity will totally save us and it’s mild anyway and doesn’t mutate quickly.

Lockdowns don’t work though don’t you ever make me have to homeschool preschoolers ever again! I chose medicine over being a SAHM for a reason! Now excuse me while I extol the virtues of the wisdom of crowds and let my six and three year old disappear into the crowds at this indoor playground. They have a lot of stress fracture and concussion debt to make up after all.

There it is! Sociopathy never changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

CGI Stardust posted:

an hour later and i'm still mad at that loving Guardian article

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Given how much this thread relies on peer-reviewed papers for driving discussion I thought this would also be pertinent here: someone noticed that a whole lot of scientific papers published in Elsevier academic journals were at least partially written by ChatGPT and the editorial and peer review stages obviously didn't pick it up

It's highly likely that this is already much more widespread than the few examples dug up here, these are just the ones where the submitters were too lazy to remove the obvious signs

What gets me is that having a chatbot look at a paper and generate an abstract is actually one of the better use cases for AI, given that you actually bother to look at it afterwards and not just copy-paste the whole output without looking at it. How many pairs of eyes had read through these without catching it, like half a dozen?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rochallor posted:

What gets me is that having a chatbot look at a paper and generate an abstract is actually one of the better use cases for AI, given that you actually bother to look at it afterwards and not just copy-paste the whole output without looking at it. How many pairs of eyes had read through these without catching it, like half a dozen?

It's a huge indictment on the entire peer review process, which already had a whole bunch of issues which I'm sure most people ITT are well aware of.

The fact that some of them also used ChatGPT to generate a list of citations and sources should also raise some eyebrows, if those court cases where lawyers asked ChatGPT to provide a list of precedent cases are any indication then it's a coin toss whether they're genuine citations or whether ChatGPT simply invented them

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's a huge indictment on the entire peer review process, which already had a whole bunch of issues which I'm sure most people ITT are well aware of.

The fact that some of them also used ChatGPT to generate a list of citations and sources should also raise some eyebrows, if those court cases where lawyers asked ChatGPT to provide a list of precedent cases are any indication then it's a coin toss whether they're genuine citations or whether ChatGPT simply invented them

here's an idea .. the newer systems can visit a website, right? can't you tell them to "for every citation, visit the website or query Google Books" or something? Presumably on the backend where they have all the copyrighted data indexed, they could verify that an article or quotation exists. They should pay me figgies for these ideas.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

https://x.com/j_n_foster/status/1768367505641529574?s=20

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

this should be zero doses because the program was heavily oversubscribed, right? I mean the people screaming that taking paxlovid was pulling the medicine from someone in a hospital bed couldn't have been wrong?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

:coronatoot::hmmrona::covidtree::nurgle:::justflu::crnasickos:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/15/long-covid-symptoms-cdc

The pandemic of disability beliefs is escalating rapidly

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

my only regret is that i have but one life to give, and i did not spend it constantly informing others of how to steal paxlovid 😔✊

anyway, tools

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is test2treat still functioning, or are they being cut off now?

Also, should pax be refrigerated for storage?

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 18:21 on Mar 15, 2024

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Oh poo poo someone made a mini CR box frame that you can just plug your filters into

https://twitter.com/Engineer_Wong/status/1768293482077245796?t=pLNZLBfkUpIEoExQB62UDQ&s=19

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

icantfindaname posted:

I'm not sure about test2treat, but you don't need to refrigerate paxlovid. It might help but it's probably unnecessary, keeping it at room temperature out of sunlight and excessive moisture should be enough

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

U-DO Burger posted:

Oh poo poo someone made a mini CR box frame that you can just plug your filters into

https://twitter.com/Engineer_Wong/status/1768293482077245796?t=pLNZLBfkUpIEoExQB62UDQ&s=19

That looks really neat, it would definitely make traveling a lot easier.

I was wondering about the gaps between the filters though, the guy answered a similar question in the tweet below, but I don't get why the foam makes the filters airtight.

https://x.com/Engineer_Wong/status/1768298352721158428?s=20

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i hate the united states of america

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i hate the united states of america

same but the pax was nice while it lasted. is it still basically impossible to get outside of America?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

people from other countries usually post in here that you have to be over a certain age or have certain health conditions

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rochallor posted:

That looks really neat, it would definitely make traveling a lot easier.

I was wondering about the gaps between the filters though, the guy answered a similar question in the tweet below, but I don't get why the foam makes the filters airtight.

https://x.com/Engineer_Wong/status/1768298352721158428?s=20

Foam's squishy and creates a seal along the edge of the filter box as long as pressure is applied to it from each side evenly and the pressure differential across the filter is low.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

people from other countries usually post in here that you have to be over a certain age or have certain health conditions

I'm sure that's the next step in the US now that COVID is mild and endemic.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I know this plainly idiotic take has come up a thousand times in the last couple years but I get a good lol out of it still. "We protected ourselves from disease and didn't catch disease! Then we stopped protecting ourselves from disease and started getting disease! This MUST mean we shouldn't protect ourselves from disease!"

I can't Jags guy gif enough.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

U-DO Burger posted:

Nice, I've been wanting something like this. Glad someone smarter than me figured out how to make it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Animal-Mother posted:

I know this plainly idiotic take has come up a thousand times in the last couple years but I get a good lol out of it still. "We protected ourselves from disease and didn't catch disease! Then we stopped protecting ourselves from disease and started getting disease! This MUST mean we shouldn't protect ourselves from disease!"

it is achingly stupid, and an argument that would have been berated by nearly everyone 5 years ago

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

it is achingly stupid, and an argument that would have been berated by nearly everyone 5 years ago

I know, right? I remember when this kind of basic ignorance of science would be thrown on the pile with homeopathy.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1768646172661440770
https://whn.global/scientific/spectrum-of-covid-19-from-asymptomatic-organ-damage-to-long-covid-syndrome/

You know what they say, gotta get organ damage to not get organ damage

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
So that bullshit "long covid doesn't exist" story that the New York Post (and dozens of other media outlets) breathlessly reported on isn't even based on a pre-print, let alone a peer-reviewed study. Cool, cool. Guess we'll just keep wondering why people are dropping out of the workforce and being sick for years (if not indefinitely) for the rest of all time. This loving stupid hellscape of a planet, I swear...

(edited for initial lack of coherence due to all the red I'm seeing right now)

an owls casket has issued a correction as of 23:18 on Mar 15, 2024

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

interesting how these anti long covid articles have all come out around the same time.. hmm

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I remember before 2020, back when we all knew the people who were sick all the time and were mad jealous at their lack of immune debt and wished we could be so lucky.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

icantfindaname posted:

my friend got free pax a week ago

I’m not sure about test2treat as of this week

California is still providing for free paxlovid through the end of this year, at least through sesamecare and maybe other services

edit: for Medicare and uninsured

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Mar 15, 2024

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Shiroc posted:

I remember before 2020, back when we all knew the people who were sick all the time and were mad jealous at their lack of immune debt and wished we could be so lucky.
back in Victorian England, a parent would be glad to have a sickly child, for they were the healthiest children of all

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
And Tiny Tim, who DID NOT die (mild)

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I really should have hoarded more boxes of Pax

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

milkandbananas posted:

Hi thread. long time lurker, first time poster here.
I'd like to thank you for all your efforts in trying to keep people informed and safe in these poo poo times.

I have a job interview tomorrow and am feeling quite nervous about it regarding masking. should I mention it at all or wait to see if they inquire? I just don't want them to think I'm irresponsibly doing the interview while sick, although it seems many people would find that less concerning than masking for protection nowadays.
any guidance/anecdotes or even some positive words would be a great help.

I have had great success with telling people (half-truthfully) that I live with immunocompromised people. For some reason, not protecting myself but someone else instead is more acceptable to the type of ghoul who will gently caress you up for masking.

e: hella beaten and should have noticed what page i was on before replying but this is still a valid strategy, imho

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Chard posted:

I have had great success with telling people (half-truthfully) that I live with immunocompromised people. For some reason, not protecting myself but someone else instead is more acceptable to the type of ghoul who will gently caress you up for masking.
it’s because you’re not showing weakness by being afraid of getting sick, you’re showing that you’re a protector of the weak by sacrificing your comfort to keep some other weak person safe. This is sufficiently manly that the testosterone poisoned will begrudgingly allow it. (it also protects their ego by making it ok for them to continue not to mask because they don’t live with anyone immunocompromised).

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

my friend got free pax a week ago

I’m not sure about test2treat as of this week

California is still providing for free paxlovid through the end of this year, at least through sesamecare and maybe other services

edit: for Medicare and uninsured

i'd been holding off on getting backup pax but gently caress it :ca:

Oracle posted:

it’s because you’re not showing weakness by being afraid of getting sick, you’re showing that you’re a protector of the weak by sacrificing your comfort to keep some other weak person safe. This is sufficiently manly that the testosterone poisoned will begrudgingly allow it. (it also protects their ego by making it ok for them to continue not to mask because they don’t live with anyone immunocompromised).

yup. a few folks have said parts of this to my face, its a strange disconnect

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Animal-Mother posted:

It's because mocking these positions five years ago was a zero-cost behavior. You got to be pro-science, but you weren't really taking any sides (besides The Correct One) and your position didn't suggest that you, personally, needed to do anything.

But mocking immunity debt now means that you are definitely on the side of those COVID weirdos and maybe even implies that you should be personally taking actions such as wearing a mask. It's now a super high-cost position with real social and maybe professional consequences.

Also the whole thing is an extremely good example of typical liberal politics where you hold the correct position only when doing so has absolutely no impact on your life.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

toggle posted:

interesting how these anti long covid articles have all come out around the same time.. hmm

Yeah it really is mysterious how they all came out this last week

Anyway, happy Long Covid Awareness Day everyone!

https://www.longhauler-advocacy.org/longcovidad24

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sickness is health now

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

it's funny as hell to see studies saying covid damages your brain and lowers your iq https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/covid-19-leaves-its-mark-on-the-brain-significant-drops-in-iq-scores-are/ while other authorities are screaming that long covid is just your imagination which is now duller and less vivid for some reason

just how deranged will the messaging get from the infinite number cult in their futile attempt to save the holy economy?

i hope there aren't dead eyed grifters telling me to invest my weekly rations money instead of eating while breadbaskets fail and hellfires consume the last remaining forests in 105 years

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
2024 so far really feels like a real push to finally close the door on all of this

-free tests disappearing
-pax getting put on the high shelf
-glad you had fun wfh but playtime is over
-case/hospitalisation reporting shutting down altogether, after two years of winding back
-further pathologizing masking/any precautions
-long covid = anxious malingerers
-fullcourt press on the "it's so incredibly over" messaging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Update from one of my buddies with long covid:

quote:

Yesterday was Long Covid Awareness Day. Since one of the things I'm too tired to do rn is write coherently or succinctly about all the ins and outs of my own long covid, I'm going to mark the day (*cough* after) by paraphrasing this message I sent a friend yesterday trying to explain what the last week has been like:

Last Friday, coming off of 2 weeks of first-home-buying stress + interstate multi-day work conference + helping organise the single largest fundraising day of the Bush Heritage year, I had my first real long covid "wow I overdid things, that was a mistake" crash. I spent 6 days majority in bed and in complete brain fog for 20+ hours of each day.

So that sucked, although I guess one upside of brain fog is that I mostly didn't have the capacity to even be stressed about it. When I had energy, I was focused on making the best use of it; the rest of the time all I could manage was lying in bed listening to easy, familiar audio books or sleeping.

And then Thursday morning I woke up and could think again, because sudden, unpredictable jumps in capacity seem to be the norm with this thing.
I'm still not back to my previous "normal", but I had markedly more spoons and fewer naps yesterday than Thursday, and the same today than yesterday. So now I'm waiting to see how long that trend continues and what I'm like when it plateaus again.

Because for now at least, that's what (my) long covid is like. Taking it one day at a time, budgeting my energy, and trying to avoid hitting walls I can't actually see.
:(

They've had LC for several years now. After the first 12 months they suddenly saw a big improvement but then they caught covid again which undid all their progress and put them all the way back to square 1