Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I don't think it's the most effective but the eagle napalm drop makes me feel like I'm in a vietnam movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I'm on PC, and my brother is on ps5. He can't accept my friend request, and I can't accept his. It shows up in the socal tab, but when you try and click accept it doesn't do anything

We both have crossplay on, we both are updated to the most recent version. I'm going crazy here. Please help

This was posted to the Discord a couple of days ago.

"We successfully reproduced the issue preventing crossplay players from accepting friend requests. Our programmers are working to determine the root cause and find a resolution. As soon as we have more info, we'll update you!"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I have never had much luck with the Eagle rocket pods. Mostly they seem to miss, or if they hit they don't appear to do any damage. I can't actually remember them taking down a charger or a hulk.

it wont one shot them from full health, but it will break their body armor off and the team can focus them down easily after.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Tom Tucker posted:

Air burst - drops three blasts great for dealing with bug breaches and does really good damage.

Similarly, I watched a streamer who only did level 9 solo dives use orbital gas on bug breaches. I guess because enemy numbers scale to player count this was enough to kill 90% of the bugs before they would even start walking to him. Made the game look really easy.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Arc Hammer posted:

Gatling and Machine gun turrets with the rotation upgrade sound hilarious. I'd probably end up buzzsawing myself in half because they'd swing around so fast tracking targets.
I love how this is completely deliberate by the game designers. There's no good reason for them to keep shooting while they're rotating 180 degrees to a different target but of course they do :allears:

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Has anyone found the eagle rocket pods to be less consistent than they used to be? I swear they were an easy bring for Bot missions since they handled Hulks and Tanks no sweat; now I feel like it's a 50/50 chance that they even hit hulks at all. It's not like they're not being targeted, it's just the delivery of the rockets is always a few feet behind or above them
I've always found them to be rather inconsistent against Hulks because they have to get a perfect angle and hit enough rockets on the radiator. But because they're so good against all the other heavy bot targets I still always take them with me.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I'm on PC, and my brother is on ps5. He can't accept my friend request, and I can't accept his. It shows up in the socal tab, but when you try and click accept it doesn't do anything

We both have crossplay on, we both are updated to the most recent version. I'm going crazy here. Please help

I think this is a known bug they are working on.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Jeremor posted:

I don't think it's the most effective but the eagle napalm drop makes me feel like I'm in a vietnam movie
Very minor gripe but I wish the Napalm Strike looked more like napalm. It's just a wall of fire, whereas an incendiary grenade actually produces what looks like liquid fire.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I have never had much luck with the Eagle rocket pods. Mostly they seem to miss, or if they hit they don't appear to do any damage. I can't actually remember them taking down a charger or a hulk.

they do seem pretty hit or miss (hah). The damage they do seems to effect weakpoints so it is mostly down to chance whether to eagle comes in at a good angle. I've had them instantly drop a charger to just annoy it.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Diephoon posted:

I'll concede the second clip but you all don't think the first one was close enough? The laser landed right in front of the titan while it was standing still to spit and the shot went WAY off target.

That titan is much further away than you think it is.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Diephoon posted:

I'll concede the second clip but you all don't think the first one was close enough? The laser landed right in front of the titan while it was standing still to spit and the shot went WAY off target.

Nope, still not nearly close enough. The target radius for the railcannon is smaller than you'd expect, but if you get the strategem close enough to your target its almost foolproof. Keep using it and you'll get a feel for the range. Railcannon rarely leaves my loadout. Its great.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I need someone to tell me I'm not the only dumbass trying to left-click the expanded minimap to mark a location while holding a grenade/loaded Airstrike stratagem in the hand, which results in me throwing the stratagem and killing my team.

This is inconsistent behaviour Arrowhead! :argh:

Fun game otherwise.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013
I find the orbital railcannon's cooldown is too long for me, so I try to get the orbital precision strike timing right. I'm getting better at it - but failing that, simply throwing the reinforce beacon at the bile titan is the most tried and true method of dealing with them.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Exodee posted:

I love how this is completely deliberate by the game designers. There's no good reason for them to keep shooting while they're rotating 180 degrees to a different target but of course they do :allears:
I like how one of the sentry upgrades even indirectly makes fun of this, stating how the sentries are upgraded with repurposed surveillance equipment so they always know where the helldiver is at all times.

It just, you know, doesn't care if it shoots you

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
TLDR; I'm level 13 playing with higher level friends: What's a versatile loadout consisting of, say, one eagle, one turret, one orbital?

Can some recommend some useful and versatile load outs for someone that's always lower level and with less play time than their friends? Im level 12, my friends are in the 30-50s, and they're always taking the lead and setting the pace, I just don't play the game nearly as much as they do.

So far I'm what I like the most is:

Breaker - I wish the other guns I had were worth taking , I try to experiment (liberator penetrator, laser rifle) and regret it

Small arms:
Auto Pistol - same, the starting pistol is irrelevant

Impact Grenade - it's the only thing can save me from the tougher enemies if I'm fresh out of the pod.

Support:
Grenade Launcher - great all around, mobile, powerful against anything less than a hulk/charger

Backpack - my go to backpack slot

Auto Cannon - also good and versatile, but I think I prefer it more against automatons

Recoilless Rifle - as above but for bugs, love to have one of these loaded when I see a charger.

What I'm really struggling with is fire support stratagems. I'd like to have One Versatile Loadout I always bring.

Let's assume I'm using a backpack fed support weapon and have three fire support stratagems. What's a versatile loadout consisting of, say, one eagle, one turret, one orbital?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I personally wouldn't take the airburst orbital, the radius is surprisingly huge and team mates seem to run towards glowing beacons even on 8/9.

I haven't played in a week-ish so the following since the mech patches are now GOATed: patriot mech, slugger, EATs. Shotgun ammo changes make the slugger and punisher incredible.

The mech owns bones, you can block ramps with it for evac too. Being out of rockets, you can jump out, EAT the titan in the face, and continue delivering freedom with your gatling :getin:

EATs completely replaces the pre-nerf railgun. You can spam them everywhere, all at once, all the time. A running retreat to a previous position will have more EATs conveniently waiting for you.

380mm on bots is also GOATed, use the MLB pitcher armour perk and kill heavy factories without any work at all

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Lamquin posted:

I need someone to tell me I'm not the only dumbass trying to left-click the expanded minimap to mark a location while holding a grenade/loaded Airstrike stratagem in the hand, which results in me throwing the stratagem and killing my team.

This is inconsistent behaviour Arrowhead! :argh:

Fun game otherwise.

I have done this with a 380mm barrage. I had enough time to run 10 meters and yell "Run" before the first shot obliterated all trace of me having ever existed.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Biggest issue with railcannon targeting is that brood commanders and scout striders count as large targets

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Jack B Nimble posted:

TLDR; I'm level 13 playing with higher level friends: What's a versatile loadout consisting of, say, one eagle, one turret, one orbital?

Can some recommend some useful and versatile load outs for someone that's always lower level and with less play time than their friends? Im level 12, my friends are in the 30-50s, and they're always taking the lead and setting the pace, I just don't play the game nearly as much as they do.

Breaker - I wish the other guns I had were worth taking , I try to experiment (liberator penetrator, laser rifle) and regret it

Small arms:

Impact Grenade - it's the only thing can save me from the tougher enemies if I'm fresh out of the pod.

Support:
Grenade Launcher - great all around, mobile, powerful against anything less than a hulk/charger

Auto Cannon - also good and versatile, but I think I prefer it more against automatons

Recoilless Rifle - as above but for bugs, love to have one of these loaded when I see a charger.

What I'm really struggling with is fire support stratagems. I'd like to have One Versatile Loadout I always bring.

Let's assume I'm using a backpack fed support weapon and have three fire support stratagems. What's a versatile loadout consisting of, say, one eagle, one turret, one orbital?

Eagle Airstrike is universally the best eagle, when you upgrade your hanger add the 500kg and you can deliver a lot of freedom in about 2m30s.

Use EATs on heavies, aim for the face, always throw them when they're off cooldown

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Biggest issue with railcannon targeting is that brood commanders and scout striders count as large targets

This is why I don't use the railcannon at all, its inconsistent. 500kg is more useful, except on hulks/chargers which require more careful placement

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Sexual Aluminum posted:

This is a known issue unfortunately and one of the issues they're working on

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Small arms:

Support:

The Eagle Airstrike is excellent against everything. It can make automaton factories and bug nests go boom, and tears apart entire formations of enemies. The Rail Cannon is nice for insta-deleting heaves, while the 380mm barrage is good for ravaging large enemy strongholds while you go elsewhere and do something else until the dust settles. The mortar and autocannon turrets are highly effective against bots (try the autocannon for defence and the mortar for offence), while a paired combo of a rocket and gatling turret will stop a bug wave in its tracks (especially when combined with an anti-personnel minefield).

Have you tried the Defender submachinegun as your primary? It's like a Liberator but better - harder-hitting, better-handling, and capable of one-handed fire.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The smg was my favorite primary early on, I haven't returned to it lately but I do like it.

If I deploy the mortar sentry defensively against bugs, am I going to team kill once they're in and among us?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

What's up with the different chargers that look like they have extra armor, I don't think I've seen them mentioned but I've seen one twice now so I know I'm not crazy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The most standard build I could imagine that is good for everything would be

-Eagle Airstrike
-Orbital Rail Cannon

(if you need a turret)
EMP mortar at higher difficulties, machine gun for lower
Autocannon

(if you don't need a turret)
Weapon of your choice
Shield Generator

The liberator and sickle are both excellent weapons that are very good in every situation. I personally think every weapon is good (except for the liberator penetrator, the counter-sniper DMR, and the scythe)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It still aims at the biggest thing in the radius. It'll always shoot bile titans over those, and I think chargers as well. At least in my experience.

500kg is better since you just get so much more of them, but rocking both those with a support weapon that's good against swarms of squishies is great.

AcidCat posted:

What's up with the different chargers that look like they have extra armor, I don't think I've seen them mentioned but I've seen one twice now so I know I'm not crazy.
Just a cosmetic difference. They show up on the "evacuate citizens" missions as well as low difficulty missions where your objective is just killing a charger.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AcidCat posted:

They show up as special assassination targets in low-difficulty missions, and regular enemies in high-difficulty ones. No statistical difference between them and regular Chargers, despite their more elaborate carapaces.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

AcidCat posted:

Theyre behemoths iirc, and die the same as normal chargers. Kind of weird tbh. Theres a guaranteed one in Personnel Evac missions

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

The smg was my favorite primary early on, I haven't returned to it lately but I do like it.

If I deploy the mortar sentry defensively against bugs, am I going to team kill once they're in and among us?

yes

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

Mortar vs bugs is a teamkill machine. If no one is looking I'll just pop it with an autocannon round to turn it off before it kills us.

At least the EMS Mortar will only kill someone if the tiny shell itself hits a player. It's super rare. The 'explosion' is just a slow for players, but it is practically a solid wall for all enemies that are caught in it.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013
Playing with friends as opposed to randoms, I'd say take it anyway just for the utter hilarity of the moment a mortar shell knocks over someone holding an eagle airstrike and obliterates your entire team as the dropship is coming in. I know not everyone finds this hilarious so your mileage may vary but we were all in stitches at the absurdity of it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Flamethrowers look cool as poo poo, but this is what happens 100% of the time anyone gets one.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Guys the railcannons level 20 they said they're level 12

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Has anyone found the eagle rocket pods to be less consistent than they used to be? I swear they were an easy bring for Bot missions since they handled Hulks and Tanks no sweat; now I feel like it's a 50/50 chance that they even hit hulks at all. It's not like they're not being targeted, it's just the delivery of the rockets is always a few feet behind or above them

Yes and it's driving me nuts. They even miss cannon turrets now. The only thing they're still good for in my experience is for killing tanks.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I'm a big big fan of both walking and 380 barrages on any factory or bug hole mission. Set it and forget it.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Maybe I'm just a loving idiot, what is the advantage of the smg being one handed? Can you shoot it while sprinting or something? I'd test it out if I wasn't at work

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think I'd like walking barrages more if I could set the direction after throwing down the beacon. They're rather finicky to use in the heat of the moment.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

You can throw the walking at your feet while being chased and out run the explosions but it should kill everyone behind you

Jeremor posted:

Maybe I'm just a loving idiot, what is the advantage of the smg being one handed? Can you shoot it while sprinting or something? I'd test it out if I wasn't at work

Can shoot behind you while running and while carrying hdd or briefcase

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

You can also use it while holding the ballistic shield, lol

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Jeremor posted:

You move faster while running away from something you're hipfiring at with a one-handed gun.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Guys the railcannons level 20 they said they're level 12

Yeah. And I'm not exactly accumulating tons of the yellow currency either. I have:

First orbital (default?)

Eagle air strike, strafing run, cluster bomb (love these but want to branch out)

Machine gun turret (such a pea shooter)

Supply Pack (love it)
Laser Guard Dog (want to love it but it team kills sometimes)

I think a low hanging fruit might be just to add one better turret and run:

Eagle air strike
Turret
Default Orbital
Support Weapon w/ backpack

I Really like the support pack but What I see ruin our runs most often is a charger no one can stop. Small arms can address any smaller enemies, but when a. Charger shows up you either kill it or you start a fighting retreat which is where things sometimes devolve into a running route with repeat deaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jerkface posted:

You can throw the walking at your feet while being chased and out run the explosions but it should kill everyone behind you

Can shoot behind you while running and while carrying hdd or briefcase

Especially important in Extract Data missions, where it's very useful to have some extra firepower while you lug a briefcase all the way across the map.