Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

I guess they could be colonists from Moonshae…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Reveilled posted:

Obscure FR lore question: does anyone know what language people speak around the Border Kingdoms and the lake of steam? I’m trying to make a map of human languages (i.e. the things people actually speak other than Common) but I can’t see there’s much info in this area.

According to a friend of mine who knows more than I do about these things:

quote:

the answer is Shaaran. the updated human regions table in the Player's Guide to Faerun can be used to determine the local languages for most regions (languages were formalized for 3e after some work by Tom Costa in 2e, 5e just follows the language/ethnicity stuff from 3e with some additions)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Yiff posted:

Having a dark lord of Ravenloft who went to therapy and actually fucks would make that place a lot better, or at least more interesting.

I'm late to this discussion, but I think you can steal the Dracula from the Castlevania animation on Netflix, but make him shittier and more monstrous, but anyways rework some of the story more in that vein and have probably a significantly better experience, at least imo.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 17, 2024

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
A Dracula that’s been laid at least once is definitely an improvement over Strahd.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Canonically Strahd has had decades of sex with his multiple wives. If anything he is proof that being immortal makes carnal pleasures irrelevant.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Zurreco posted:

Canonically Strahd has had decades of sex with his multiple wives. If anything he is proof that being immortal makes carnal pleasures irrelevant.

And a groom cause he felt like shaking it up. Though Escher fears Strahd is getting bored of him and will lock him in the catacombs like he does other consorts he tires of.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

OtspIII posted:

According to a friend of mine who knows more than I do about these things:

Please pass on my thanks to your friend for pointing me to the reference I needed!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
IMAGINE THE BBEG RECHARING ITS 300FT CONE BREATH ATTACK FOUR TIMES IN A ROW.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Raenir Salazar posted:

IMAGINE THE BBEG RECHARING ITS 300FT CONE BREATH ATTACK FOUR TIMES IN A ROW.

Fighting a Great Wyrm?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yusin posted:

Fighting a Great Wyrm?

Something like that. It rolled a six on its recharge every turn so far. :negative:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Something like that. It rolled a six on its recharge every turn so far. :negative:

i would be ecstatic as a dm

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My party chose to burgle the private demiplane of an ancient dracolich as part of a rescue mission and she happened to be home at the time, so I'm very excited to roll into combat this week and start off with Wish into an instant Simulacrum and see how they handle it

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Looks like Local Stores getting the books early is coming back.

https://wpn.wizards.com/en/news/local-game-store-early-access-for-d-and-d-book-sales

quote:

Vecna, Eve of Ruin (Early Access May 7, 2024)
Quests from the Infinite Staircase (Early Access July 9, 2024)
Player's Handbook (2024) (Early Access September 3, 2024)
Dungeon Master's Guide (2024) (Early Access October 29, 2024)
Monster Manual (2025) (Early Access Feb 4, 2025)

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Hm! I might delay my next campaign 'till the new Player's Handbook is out. I know the playtests had their ups and downs, but how different were the published 5e classes compared to the final 5e playtest?

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Can anyone recommend a few good 5e playthrough/web series? Specifically ones that progress to the higher levels. I caught the final few episodes of the first Critical campaign live a million years ago, and now getting an itch for that kind of content. Figured I'd ask what else is out there. Preferably not all TotM.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

HellCopter posted:

Hm! I might delay my next campaign 'till the new Player's Handbook is out. I know the playtests had their ups and downs, but how different were the published 5e classes compared to the final 5e playtest?

There was a fair amount of differences, more are likely to come as well as they fiddle with things. They are doing most spell rebalancing in house (which makes sense as people would react way too strongly to the nerfs that that are surely coming to some currently strong spells).

odinson posted:

Can anyone recommend a few good 5e playthrough/web series? Specifically ones that progress to the higher levels. I caught the final few episodes of the first Critical campaign live a million years ago, and now getting an itch for that kind of content. Figured I'd ask what else is out there. Preferably not all TotM.

You could do more CR. I don't really keep up with those types of series, sorry I wish I could help better.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Crit Role campaign 1 is a lot more action heavy and feels more like people playing D&D than actors acting, and it's actually kind of nice to go back and see things like the Kraghammer arc, where the maps are literally lines on graph paper for some of the fights.

A lot of the first episodes or older seasons of collegehumor/dropout's shows are on youtube now. Personally I feel like Brennan is one of my favourite GMs out there but I realise the comedy's not for everyone.

I would also really recommend Exandria Unlimited: Calamity, particularly watching him do a more serious campaign like this - they start at 14th level if you particularly want to see high level play.

E: there are a few really good combats, and also one that is cut way, way too short by wizard poo poo.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 19, 2024

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Honestly that’s my biggest critique of actual plays and also one of the reasons I’m always looking for new ones— after the first season they are familiar with systems and rules and tend to focus more on telling a good story.

Which… kind of ruins it for me. If I wanted a great story I’d simply read a book or watch a movie. D&D is fun for me specifically because of the highs and lows and all the absolutely weird bonkers poo poo in between. I want to listen to a bunch idiot friends all play a dumb game together and make madness and bargain about the rules and such.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I hope they nerf fireball and boost lightning bolt so they're both equally favorable.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
are the weapon actions from baldur's gate 3 in any book? or official in anyway? I thought it was a neat way to let martial characters do more, so I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There are similar weapon actions in the playtests for the proposed 2024 books. They're not exactly the same, but they seemed well recieved.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
There is a third party supplement out there called... More than Dice? Anyways, it's basically a document of features unique to each weapon so you have more actions than just attacking. I consider it on the table insofar as I don't mind asking if I can do said actions while playing. No DM has ever said no, so I don't see them pushing back on the BG3 options either.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There are similar weapon actions in the playtests for the proposed 2024 books. They're not exactly the same, but they seemed well recieved.

I'm at work so I can't dive fully in but it seems like they've tied it to class features and the weapon mastery feat and I don't see why

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Because the game still has a resistance to anything interesting happening without the word "magically" appearing somewhere in the effect description.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Caphi posted:

Because the game still has a resistance to anything interesting happening without the word "magically" appearing somewhere in the effect description.

Yeah honestly the worst thing in the game is how inconsistent this is. Like Stoneskin is pretty weak and unimpressive compared to any other option for a 12th level caster for concentration.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

odinson posted:

naddpod gets to level 20 in the first campaign and the DM is strict about sticking to the rules. one of the players is jake hurwitz, who had never played before at episode 1. its easily the best “live play” d&d show if you care about it being both a good show and an accurate representation of playing d&d

edit: it’s a podcast so it is all theatre of the mind, but take my word for it, the combat sequences are more creative and interesting than critical role or dimension 20

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 19, 2024

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah honestly the worst thing in the game is how inconsistent this is. Like Stoneskin is pretty weak and unimpressive compared to any other option for a 12th level caster for concentration.

I thought that was what barkskin does what the heck??? that's a crazy high level for that effect, especially since magical attacks cut through it and by level ten everyone has one.

edit: i'm throwing that on a low level item magic item and giving it a "once per day" for yourself.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ominous Jazz posted:

I thought that was what barkskin does what the heck??? that's a crazy high level for that effect, especially since magical attacks cut through it and by level ten everyone has one.

edit: i'm throwing that on a low level item magic item and giving it a "once per day" for yourself.

Which begs the question, how does one determine if a monster's/creature's damage is magical? Is there a ruling on this? Is a Dragon's Wing Attack Legendary Action non-magical bludgeoning? Because its wind? Or is it magical because a dragon is doing it and a dragon is inherently magical and so is everything it does?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Which begs the question, how does one determine if a monster's/creature's damage is magical? Is there a ruling on this? Is a Dragon's Wing Attack Legendary Action non-magical bludgeoning? Because its wind? Or is it magical because a dragon is doing it and a dragon is inherently magical and so is everything it does?

It will say in the stat block. Dragon body attacks and breath weapons are not magical (which is kind of annoying because the latter can breach Tiny Hut according to Sage Advice)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

change my name posted:

It will say in the stat block. Dragon body attacks and breath weapons are not magical (which is kind of annoying because the latter can breach Tiny Hut according to Sage Advice)

Any example of a creature whose slashing/bludgeoning/piercing attacks/abilities are explicitly magical for comparison?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Any example of a creature whose slashing/bludgeoning/piercing attacks/abilities are explicitly magical for comparison?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/sp9tm6/do_creatures_inherently_have_magical_attacks/

Usually angels, demons, and golems and only a handful of them at most. The reason is that PCs rarely get resistance to non-magical damage and this makes it way easier to keep track of

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
that seems like a dumb way of doing that, i simply would have designed the game better

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

in a world where your body can be healed by magic, you can be resurrected by magic, and you magically don't get hurt in a way that hampers your function until the last "hit point"... all damage is magic. You could fix so much that's wrong with D&D by just defining it this way. Literally a man with a sword who hits you for one or more hit points is doing magic damage. Your character is made of magic.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Leperflesh posted:

in a world where your body can be healed by magic, you can be resurrected by magic, and you magically don't get hurt in a way that hampers your function until the last "hit point"... all damage is magic. You could fix so much that's wrong with D&D by just defining it this way. Literally a man with a sword who hits you for one or more hit points is doing magic damage. Your character is made of magic.

But but but that nerfs muh fighter (somehow)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's just more turtles magic, all the way down

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Leperflesh posted:

Yoda from star wars says this and that gay little frog is right

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

when you define it like that, then you can invalidate that ol' "fighters shouldn't be able to do that, because it's not realistic" argument immediately by saying "well it's magic, so it doesn't have to be realistic."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh the warlord is shouting limbs back on? yes, because the warlord is magic and so are your limbs

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

I mean, I feel like this would just take away from the idea that some creatures are inherently scarrier to low level adventurers because of their resistances. And further takes away options for interesting abilities like being resistant to those things and being just like those creatures; the issue is more the all or nothing aspect and that depending on the DM's sense of gamebalance w.r.t homebrew, might just trivialize or eliminate that dynamic all together.

The issue for me is that it seemed like everything due to homebrew was doing magic damage, so Stoneskin was a largely dead spell as a Sorcerer to know. And I as a DM for a different campaign was unsure if its a "logically I guess it would be magic?" question of the rules or is it "Okay if it doesn't say magic its non-magical, got it." Sort of clarification.

The idea isn't bad, but the implementation can be inconsistent and a bit lacking to people starting to want a deeper way of engaging with the games mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

that seems like a dumb way of doing that, i simply would have designed the game better
We only got enough juice in the time machine to make one jump, better make it count *looks down at control panel*
[ kill hitler ] [ kill gygax ]