Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Apparently not, it doesn't run well on anything. Xbox Series X performance makes it the preferred console to play if you are going to play the console version. PS5 performance is the 2nd weakest, followed by Series S.

I am going to throw a temper tantrum if I can't see my Arisen + pawn, plus everyone else's pawns, in full glorious detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Phlegmish posted:

I am going to throw a temper tantrum if I can't see my Arisen + pawn, plus everyone else's pawns, in full glorious detail

They're masterworks all, you can't go wrong.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Got a ryzen 5800x3d and 3090. I pretty much get most games 1440p/60 most often more. Crazy to think this will have to run at 1080p. Very poor performance by Capcom but I guess that's another thing that didn't change from the original's launch.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Unlucky7 posted:

Just had a thought: Are pawns cross platform? Like, can a XBox player use a pawn from a PS5 or PC player?
From what I gathered with the influencer pawns, it didn't seem so. Some seemed explicitly PS5 / PC or both if someone created in both.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Ulio posted:

Got a ryzen 5800x3d and 3090. I pretty much get most games 1440p/60 most often more. Crazy to think this will have to run at 1080p. Very poor performance by Capcom but I guess that's another thing that didn't change from the original's launch.

No reason to run at 1080p, resolution has very little CPU load. It's just not going to be consistently 60FPS in cities no matter what you do. Enjoy the resolution without guilt.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Just had a thought: Are pawns cross platform? Like, can a XBox player use a pawn from a PS5 or PC player?

the footage we’ve seen of menus looks like the “search by class” list and pawns you automatically see dropped into your rift are specific to your platform, but you can manually search for a specific pawn by ID on any platform. Don’t quote me on that I don’t have the video clip on hand

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

K8.0 posted:

For hardware like this, you are on the edge case. Your CPU is generally faster than the PS5, and you have lower memory latency, but potentially a lot less memory bandwidth. Your GPU is faster than the PS5, and you have access to DLSS but in a CPU bound scenario it won't help. Performance will probably be roughly equivalent to ps5 at the same settings, and you have the ability to play on the next PC you build, so personally I would lean PC but you could argue either way.

Nice, I'll crook that edge. I coped with Alan Wake 2 collapsing in on itself occasionally (particularly in the Bright Falls woods) so I think I can manage until I upgrade sometime in the next year.

Thanks for the insights.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

K8.0 posted:

No reason to run at 1080p, resolution has very little CPU load. It's just not going to be consistently 60FPS in cities no matter what you do. Enjoy the resolution without guilt.

Ya looks like the performance issue is in the city, since there is no combat in the city I will most likely not care about the dip there.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have a 3080 and 11th gen Intel and am absolutely not upgrading til at least 5xxx series cards and whatever AMD's next gen is so I hope that I get luckily like I did with Arkham Knight's original release and don't have many issues. I can deal with slowdown in cities if combat and such is mostly fine. Don't mind turning down settings either but that doesn't seem to help much from reviews.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Itsuno wanted to give us the true Dragon's Dogma experience by bringing us back to PS3 level framerates

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mr E posted:

I have a 3080 and 11th gen Intel and am absolutely not upgrading til at least 5xxx series cards and whatever AMD's next gen is so I hope that I get luckily like I did with Arkham Knight's original release and don't have many issues. I can deal with slowdown in cities if combat and such is mostly fine. Don't mind turning down settings either but that doesn't seem to help much from reviews.

Yeah I'm waiting for the 5 series cards as well. My PC is chugging along but I'm having more issues with overheating and CPU limitations and I am really trying to avoid getting a new case with better fans and moving my current stuff over to that then still having to upgrade later.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

loving hell! God dammit.

EDIT: Actually, I think the game had DLSS3 Frame Generation so that might be the perfect use case for it.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 20, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
guess I’ll be going to the ol Xbox for this one

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

FightingCowboy says best thing since Elden Ring so maybe ill just jump into this without having beat DD1.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

loving hell! God dammit.

gonna be laughing all the way to the FPS bank with my 1070

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm just going to remind myself that I played doom at 320x200 and Quake at 640x480, both at 30fps, both still were great games, all this poo poo now about having to run it at 4k 120fps locked is gamer brain hogwash.

(it does suck tho that it's so badly optimized)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm just going to remind myself that I played doom at 320x200 and Quake at 640x480, both at 30fps, both still were great games, all this poo poo now about having to run it at 4k 120fps locked is gamer brain hogwash.

We didnt know any better. We also played NES on 14" screens.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sub 60 fps makes me vomit.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jack Trades posted:

Sub 60 fps makes me vomit.

I assume you spent all your gaming years before your reg date constantly puking, very unfortunate.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Weird that DLSS 3 isn't in the review copy. Apparently the dll is there. Hopefully a day one patch will enable it or it will be available soon.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jack Trades posted:

loving hell! God dammit.

EDIT: Actually, I think the game had DLSS3 Frame Generation so that might be the perfect use case for it.

if DD2 has DLSS 3 then it should also have FSR 3 unless Capcom has hosed with its DRM enough to block the .dll swap mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/738?tab=description

This should make frame drops in a city a lot less lovely.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

It probably is unoptimized, but it seems like it’s actually doing something with those cpu cycles.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm simply going to close my eyes and hope that somehow my crappy system will manage to at least run okay when not in big cities. And I guess just cry and cope while in said big cities. My poor poor 8700...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I assume you spent all your gaming years before your reg date constantly puking, very unfortunate.

The last console I owned was ZX Spectrum.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rinkles posted:

It probably is unoptimized, but it seems like it’s actually doing something with those cpu cycles.

sometime this weekend a streamer is gonna find 3 NPCs hidden in the back of the city telling each other "WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS" every millisecond

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Might this be like Resident Evil: Village where the frame rate problems on PC were caused by the DRM?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jack Trades posted:

The last console I owned was ZX Spectrum.

Spending the early 90s playing Betrayal at Krondor and Ultima Underworld and puking your guts out the entire time while the Sega Saturn had 60fps games on it must have been hard for you! My sympathies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Spending the early 90s playing Betrayal at Krondor and Ultima Underworld and puking your guts out the entire time while the Sega Saturn had 60fps games on it must have been hard for you! My sympathies.

Cute.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Luckily everyone says the game is great even in spite of the performance issues. It feels like it will get better over time with patches and more optimization.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was able to run Alan Wake 2 on my i5 8400 mostly comfortably, but it was noticeably a bottleneck at times. By all indications, this game will be even harder on it. And a quick, but by no means exhaustive look at PC Part builder and the PC Building Megathread makes me think that if I am going to upgrade, I may as well do a near complete rebuild. Which is something I do want to do at some point, but if I am going to do it, I would like to take the time to do it right.

So yeah, PS5 or Series X for me at this point.

EDIT: At least the game itself is good by all indications.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harlock posted:

Luckily everyone says the game is great even in spite of the performance issues. It feels like it will get better over time with patches and more optimization.

This reminds me of the RE Village situation, which Capcom eventually acknowledged, but they spent time ignoring it entirely.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't really care about 30 FPS (if it's consistent) on most games but I really think action games benefit a ton from 60+ and if it's closer to character action like DD is than I really don't like <60 FPS in general. I'll get over it but it does suck that most RE engine games run fantastic on just about anything til this game.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Gerstmann likes the game so far. The highlights were him throwing some small enemy off a small cliff while yelling "get hosed" and some giant monkey running away with a pawn in his hands with Gerstmann and another pawn hanging off it's back stabbing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D77YMJFbOgs&t=2s

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Considering that the game goes into low 20s on a PS5, I don't think it's PC DRM's fault.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I spent nearly the entire game in DD1 not knowing that you could tap R2 to carry people/monsters, rather than putting them in a full nelson!

Not knowing that made the quest with the griffon really annoying.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hamelekim posted:

Gerstmann likes the game so far. The highlights were him throwing some small enemy off a small cliff while yelling "get hosed" and some giant monkey running away with a pawn in his hands with Gerstmann and another pawn hanging off it's back stabbing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D77YMJFbOgs&t=2s

classic ogre behavior, i hope the pawns commented on its rear end

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That's not really a huge concern. that's just like what happens when a game is CPU bound lol.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Sloober posted:

classic ogre behavior, i hope the pawns commented on its rear end

They commented on how "the arisen" was getting covered in slime which was great.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Thank god I have a buffed up CPU (i9-13900k) but an aging GPU (RTX 2060 super). No, don't ask me how that happened. Anyway, hopefully the strength of my CPU can power me through this even if my graphics are mid. Maybe this is the year I'll get a new GPU, but I'm not sure what would be a good upgrade that's also not breaking the bank.

I hope they turn on steam preload soon too. Last time I had network issues or my ISP capped me or something because it took me 12 hours to download a game at like 4 mb/s despite supposedly having 100mb/s down. I would not like to repeat this process at 8pm EST on a thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I played Dragon's Dogma on PS3, PS4, and Switch. 60 FPS has only ever been a dream..