Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm honestly curious what they end up doing with Wutai, there's a lot of stuff there which is just weird.

Like, hell, the five biggest fighters in the NotJapan region are all given theater names, which means Yuffie Kisaragi's dad is named... Godot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m hoping it at least lets us finish off Corneo too like the original. Scotch and the other guy too

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bobjr posted:

I’m hoping it at least lets us finish off Corneo too like the original. Scotch and the other guy too

There's no way they won't give us that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

bobjr posted:

I want for him to successfully create Corneoland, but it's one of those sad mall arcades with four badly outdated game cabinets and a claw machine. Scotch and Kotch out front, still doing the hype men gig.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Did anyone else find it weird upon returning to Cosmo Canyon, Nanaki has a couple moments where he's super joyous to be back home, but it's more like he returned home from college or getting lost in the woods, not being kidnapped and experimented on and trapped in a glass cylinder. Kind of weird that they didn't spend any time on him saying "Shinra is even crazier than we thought!" to Bugenhagen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

Did anyone else find it weird upon returning to Cosmo Canyon, Nanaki has a couple moments where he's super joyous to be back home, but it's more like he returned home from college or getting lost in the woods, not being kidnapped and experimented on and trapped in a glass cylinder. Kind of weird that they didn't spend any time on him saying "Shinra is even crazier than we thought!" to Bugenhagen.

I'm not really shocked that Red XIII, who is so excited to be home he accidentally let his coolguy voice drop just upon seeing it, is more focused on the happy parts than the trauma.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I thought you guys might have over exaggerated Head Case :(

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I thought you guys might have over exaggerated Head Case :(

Try using stop + magnify

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I would rather Dio hire Scotch and Kotch so we get more color commentary for the coliseum in part 3.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Divekick sucks: Often I'm wailing on an enemy, implying I'm within range. I then divekick and miss. I just did it 3x in a row during a fight! By 'miss' I mean she divekicks the ground, no evasion or anything. Sometimes the enemy repositions a tiny bit and that's enough for it to whiff.

redreader fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 21, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

redreader posted:

Divekick sucks: Often I'm wailing on an enemy, implying I'm within range. I then divekick and miss. I just did it 3x in a row during a fight! By 'miss' I mean she divekicks the ground, no evasion or anything. Sometimes the enemy repositions a tiny bit and that's enough for it to whiff.

Yeah dive kick is only good for staggered enemies. It has 0 homing and the range / splash damage is limited.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

WaltherFeng posted:

Yeah dive kick is only good for staggered enemies. It has 0 homing and the range / splash damage is limited.

Yeah it’s meant to be used on staggered enemies. She has better moves to use on non-staggered enemies like Focused Strike, which significantly increases the stagger bar. Also Overpower is good.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

Try using stop + magnify

I've tried both stop & sleep but they seem to stop being effective after the first few casts

The problem I seem to be having is I just can't deal enough damage solo and I can't manage a party in that fight so I'll just come back to it later (or put it on easy and be done with it)

E: I really wish you could swap materia & equipment in the simulator!

EE: so so close, going in with a team of 2 for the synergy attacks is the winning move

Luxury Tent Carpet fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 21, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I love so much that there's a running gag where Yuffie gets violently motion-sick if placed on literally anything that moves... unless it's a chocobo, in which case she immediately switches to YAY WHEE LET'S GO FAST AND JUMP OFF OF THINGS.

And then Cloud gets dialogue where he straight up asks her what's with that, because he noticed the disconnect too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CapnAndy posted:

I love so much that there's a running gag where Yuffie gets violently motion-sick if placed on literally anything that moves... unless it's a chocobo, in which case she immediately switches to YAY WHEE LET'S GO FAST AND JUMP OFF OF THINGS.

And then Cloud gets dialogue where he straight up asks her what's with that, because he noticed the disconnect too.

Made even funnier when she suggests she only gets motion sick on things Shinra made and then proceeds to get motion sick on the gi boat later in the same zone

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I appreciate how readily Barret turns on dad mode and is usually the one attending to Yuffie when she's motion sick.

Especially in light of how fed up he otherwise is with her. He can't help it!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really appreciate the changes and depth they added to Yuffie. Like yeah she's still materia obsessed, cocky, and annoying but she's also empathetic, has a strong sense of right and wrong (as it applies to everyone but her mainly) and is usually the first person in the party to call someone out on their bullshit.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yuffie and Barret share a standing idle pose and my head canon is that she's imitating him because she thinks he's cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it helps that Yuffie is both incredibly competent and willing to do what she has to do. Like for how goofy and ridiculous she is, she gets stuff done and comes like half a second away from assassinating the head of Shinra. She can be annoying and cocky and arrogant but she has genuinely enough skills that you can feel like it's at least partially earned, even if she's the butt of jokes.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

She's also pretty honest with the group about her whole deal. She tells them right away that she's with the Wutai Government and that she's looking for powerful materia to give them the edge in the fight against Shinra.

If she does still do the whole stealing the groups materia in the next game, I imagine it will play out very different than the OG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

She's also pretty honest with the group about her whole deal. She tells them right away that she's with the Wutai Government and that she's looking for powerful materia to give them the edge in the fight against Shinra.

If she does still do the whole stealing the groups materia in the next game, I imagine it will play out very different than the OG.

I also think losing your materia is going to be a lot less painful for the player since so much of a character's power is tied up in their Abilities. Like it'll be annoying but not "I'm stuck with just autoattack" annoying.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I feel pretty sure they'll do the whole stealing materia thing but they'll give it a lot more context and logic.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Holy poo poo, the Cosmo Canyon protorelic quest starts with a hell of a cutscene.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

lines posted:

I feel pretty sure they'll do the whole stealing materia thing but they'll give it a lot more context and logic.

probably a direct order from Glenn

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly it's an easier fight with a single character or two at most. Damage isn't really the concern in that fight.

I didn't have this experience. With just one party member I couldn't do nearly enough damage.

I had the easiest time just focusing on doing heavy damage as fast as possible to the Mindflayer, with a full party. With the most important thing being to equip lots of stuff that lets you quickly gain ATB at the beginning of the fight (First Strike, ATB Boost, etc). That way you can quickly rush to a synergy ability.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

lines posted:

Holy poo poo, the Cosmo Canyon protorelic quest starts with a hell of a cutscene.

That protorelic quest has a meh minigame gimmick but the cutscenes alone put it in my top 5 favorite sidequests of the entire game.

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
Can anyone explain to me what is going on with the lighting in this game? I am constantly being flashbanged with bright lights then plunged into darkness as I go from one space to another.

It's so weird and off putting, what's the reason for it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trip Hazard posted:

Can anyone explain to me what is going on with the lighting in this game? I am constantly being flashbanged with bright lights then plunged into darkness as I go from one space to another.

It's so weird and off putting, what's the reason for it?

It's supposed to reflect the way eyes adjust when going from dark-to-light and also is used as a method to hide the loading of textures.

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
I thought it might be the first thing (it totally, utterly fails at that imo) but I didn't know about the second reason, thanks for that

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
No lie I was excited for Literally FFXII The Minigame at first but it sure failed to really do anything other than repeat itself seven more times with increasing strictness.

To be honest all the Protorelic stuff is held back severely by inexplicably having to repeat so many times in each region. None of the minigames are really worth that many repetitions (especially not with hard modes) and the writers just seemed to kind of give up justifying the fight ones going on that long.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the Fort Condor minigame has potential if it was expanded to have multiple maps and more kinds of units. I was surprised they didn't do that in Rebirth, really. I mean I like Queen's Blood a lot more, so I'm happy, but still.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

It's supposed to reflect the way eyes adjust when going from dark-to-light and also is used as a method to hide the loading of textures.

It's very badly implemented and feels super unnatural every time. You can often wiggle the camera back and forth and switch between dark and light.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I'm on the final dungeon and something that's been stuck in my head all day is that when it switches to Aerith's party. There's a clock ticking backward and the text "Several hours earlier" but like it's not actually several hours earlier right? I just saw Cloud and crew like 15 minutes ago in real time. I always thought time in the game mostly passed like real world time when I'm controlling the characters and even when the characters take a break on a bench that's just 5-10 minutes at most. Does Cloud just sit at a bus station bench for like 2-3 hours? Now I'm questioning whether I just fundamentally understand the passage of time wrong or if this is meant to be a foreshadowing of timeline bullshit incoming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rosalind posted:

I'm on the final dungeon and something that's been stuck in my head all day is that when it switches to Aerith's party. There's a clock ticking backward and the text "Several hours earlier" but like it's not actually several hours earlier right? I just saw Cloud and crew like 15 minutes ago in real time. I always thought time in the game mostly passed like real world time when I'm controlling the characters and even when the characters take a break on a bench that's just 5-10 minutes at most. Does Cloud just sit at a bus station bench for like 2-3 hours? Now I'm questioning whether I just fundamentally understand the passage of time wrong or if this is meant to be a foreshadowing of timeline bullshit incoming.

Time is always abstracted in games. You're not seeing literally every moment, which is why you don't have to spend 15 minutes watching Cloud take a poo poo after some bad burritos.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I didn't have this experience. With just one party member I couldn't do nearly enough damage.

I had the easiest time just focusing on doing heavy damage as fast as possible to the Mindflayer, with a full party. With the most important thing being to equip lots of stuff that lets you quickly gain ATB at the beginning of the fight (First Strike, ATB Boost, etc). That way you can quickly rush to a synergy ability.

Yeah this is what worked for me in the end, I had Tifa & Cloud and just focused entirely on getting that synergy attack up asap and once that came off it’s a case of a few focus thrusts & strikes for the stagger and you’re home free (stop was helpful here just to the adds wouldn’t get in the way at the end and be killed first)

It’s still a pain in the rear end though and felt a little more like luck than anything else but it got the job done!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Trip Hazard posted:

I thought it might be the first thing (it totally, utterly fails at that imo) but I didn't know about the second reason, thanks for that

this is actually exactly how it feels when I enter my garage getting home from work every day so I found it pretty realistic lol

However if it wasn't for the textures thing I would say it's in the "yeah its realistic but this is a video game and it's ok to remove dumb/tedious things" category

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

ImpAtom posted:

watching Cloud take a poo poo after some bad burritos.

The real crisis core

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Chapter 12 end of chapter Spoilers Man we get to fight Rufus again with the same gimmick? Except now you can't cheese the fight with "Stop" to keep him staggered more and "Sleep". That fight kicked my rear end on Normal, I had to redo the fight like 6 times before I got the timing right. It felt so good to beat him again like in FF7 Remake. Man he's going to be hell on hard mode.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rabid Snake posted:

Chapter 12 end of chapter Spoilers Man we get to fight Rufus again with the same gimmick? Except now you can't cheese the fight with "Stop" to keep him staggered more and "Sleep". That fight kicked my rear end on Normal, I had to redo the fight like 6 times before I got the timing right. It felt so good to beat him again like in FF7 Remake. Man he's going to be hell on hard mode.

I liked that they made the fight harder, like he took how easy he was to beat personally and worked to fix his weaknesses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like how all the Turks have different job attitudes from super loyal and energetic to showing up for the paycheck.