Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Floor is lava posted:

I somehow rolled a Kratos and 2B on my first rift.

there seems to be an item similar to chained daggers in the main city

i ran into old man kratos on the overworld and that dude hosed bad guys up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Wait, is there a way to dodge? I'm not seeing the prompt but maybe that makes sense for my extremely out of shape Fighter

You can run as a Figher but I was playing as a Thief who has both a standard dodge and an incredibly fuckin' cool "you will literally dodge every attack as long as you have stamina and the stamina drain is very slow" that makes the thief a better tank than the physical tanks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Wait, is there a way to dodge? I'm not seeing the prompt but maybe that makes sense for my extremely out of shape Fighter

Yes. You use the left stick to move out of the way of an attack.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The high-fiving is amazing. Pretty goofy but when your pawn saves your rear end and you instinctively walk up to them and they're like "hell yeah man" and dap you up that's just awesome.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I am so happy this is back in

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You can run as a Figher but I was playing as a Thief who has both a standard dodge and an incredibly fuckin' cool "you will literally dodge every attack as long as you have stamina and the stamina drain is very slow" that makes the thief a better tank than the physical tanks.

I wonder if the pawns are capable of utilizing that to dodge tank for your party.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

ImpAtom posted:

How do you efficiently dodge or side-step in a game that doesn't have lock-on?
Instead of side stepping, wouldn't you just turn the other way, do a leap or something, and then have to slowly turn back to the enemy who is now effectively behind you?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

How do you efficiently dodge in a game that doesn't have lock-on?
Instead of side stepping, wouldn't you just turn the other way, do a leap or something, and then have to slowly turn back to the enemy who is now effectively behind you?

You move quickly in the direction you are holding your movement stick. I didn't find turning very slow but YMMV.

Jack Trades posted:

I wonder if the pawns are capable of utilizing that to dodge tank for your party.

I honestly am not sure! I should have tried it but the allure of being able to set myself on fire and then become untouchable was too much to turn down.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Man, I realized there's only 4 skill slots and went "I bet people are mad about that, I donno how I can only have 4 spells as a mage" and found out that people are mad about OTHER STUFF ENTIRELY

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

CharlestonJew posted:

Also I threw a goblin off a cliff and all of the pawns I hired reacted like I just invented the atomic bomb, so if your pawns start throwing dudes off cliffs, you're welcome.

the Kratos pawn i hired constantly talks about how his previous master only hired women pawns lmao

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So do items you give to other people's pawns to hold as pack mules disappear if you dismiss them? I had a tent disappear from my party inventory at a pivotal moment - it wasn't destroyed so I figure the pawn that was carrying it just hosed off with it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of Pawn AI.

I had an incredibly tough encounter against a whole buttload of bandits that were outnumbering us 2-3 to 1 and I was VERY impressed at how responsive the Come Here! and Go! commands were.
We were able to win simply by me making the pawns create a wall in front of me at the mouth of the cave, cast a spell to stagger some bantids, then order the pawns to take down a couple of staggered bandits while I set up Anodyne, then have them form a wall again inside the healing bubble, and repeating that a few times.

It felt a lot more like commanding a small force, rather than herding a group of cats as it does in most games. Cool stuff.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deified Data posted:

So do items you give to other people's pawns to hold as pack mules disappear if you dismiss them? I had a tent disappear from my party inventory at a pivotal moment - it wasn't destroyed so I figure the pawn that was carrying it just hosed off with it?

They "disappear" into your storage.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Walked posted:

Woof.

Performance in open world is reasonable (100-120fps consistently, no dips below)

In the city; I'm getting a stuttery 40-60 on average.

4090 / 7950x3d / 64gb RAM / 1440 ultrawide
Not even running maxed out settings.
All drivers updated/etc.

Tried the DLSS mod but it just turned everything red-tinted, maybe will revisit.

Still playable, but drat does it feel a little choppy and worse than the visual FPS shows it should feel. I'm sure it'll get some patches and whatnot, and it's still playable, but lol

Update; the nexusmod page shows that the game settings requires DLSS + reflex to be enabled (I didnt have reflex on) which left me with the red tints. Now seeing 110-130fps in the city; still some minor stutters but eminently playable.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Vermain posted:

i'm assuming people either saw the prerelease stuff or got told by a youtuber that the game kinda expects you to be lugging someone with anodyne around 24/7, so people are generally either making mage pawns for that or fighter pawns to carry camping gear and a million herbs and rocks
I have an archer and she's great, but I don't really know why you'd take one when you can just take multiple mages or sorcs for long-ranged stuff. (Aside from archers being cool, and my pawn being cool. :colbert:)

explosivo posted:

The high-fiving is amazing. Pretty goofy but when your pawn saves your rear end and you instinctively walk up to them and they're like "hell yeah man" and dap you up that's just awesome.
I love "small" things like this in games. Like, they didn't have to code in multiple "great job!" animations at the end of a fight, but they did, and it's freaking awesome.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I like that ones with different inclinations will kind of argue with each other. I picked straightforward for my pawn which is probably not a good inclination for gameplay purposes but it's very fun watching her be all like "pfft whatever square" to the pawns that keep talking about being cautious and planning ahead.
I have a "simple" pawn (which was advertised as helping fight but also being curious and looking around for loot, which is how I play my games, so obviously my pawn has to be as dumb as me) and I can definitely see her just being "no thoughts, head empty" smashing a barrel somewhere while I'm running ahead trying not to die. It's okay, if she's actually near a fight she's pin-cushioning enemies with her arrows.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Grondoth posted:

Man, I realized there's only 4 skill slots and went "I bet people are mad about that, I donno how I can only have 4 spells as a mage" and found out that people are mad about OTHER STUFF ENTIRELY

I was worried about that before launch but it turns out that you in fact get 4 spells, and 1 more spell, and 1 extra ability, and a bunch of moves are now baked into the Core set too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Why did the character creator let me save multiple pawns, when the main game just used the last one saved? Can I find the other ones somewhere?

Also, controversal I know, but this game runs like rear end

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

The fist bump is fun too because apparently multiple pawns can get in on it if they're close enough.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anyone figure out where that dullahan the guard captain has been sent to kill is? Keep hearing about it in town but no mention of where so i dont even know which cardinal direction to go. Curious if there's a quest i need to do first.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

:thunk:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are there any other vocations besides the ones already announced? Kept seeing people mentioning hidden ones but haven't heard anything specific.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

Why did the character creator let me save multiple pawns, when the main game just used the last one saved? Can I find the other ones somewhere?

Also, controversal I know, but this game runs like rear end

You have to go into the character creator demo and edit a different one, then when you save it will ask if you want to make this the new char the demo sends to the full game.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

So it's a normal rift stone.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Forgotten Rift Stones are a cool gimmick. Go find them!

Simple inclined pawns are great, they gather a lot and proactively hunt wildlife. They even found one of them gold trove beetles.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I was worried about that before launch but it turns out that you in fact get 4 spells, and 1 more spell, and 1 extra ability, and a bunch of moves are now baked into the Core set too.

Oh, I'm playing and I feel deeply constrained so far. The theoretical future where I can use mage AND sorcerer spells makes me feel like I need 8 slots instead of 6, and those two extra are SORELY missed already.

They gave us 2ND ED STONESKIN and a holy ball and firewall and a zap ball and how am I supposed to only have 4 of these

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

Are there any other vocations besides the ones already announced? Kept seeing people mentioning hidden ones but haven't heard anything specific.

Unless they were straight up lying in an earlier interview to keep stuff hidden, no, the 10 vocations are the only ones in the game. When people are talking about hidden ones they are either A) pre-release speculation that was later debunked or B) referring to the hybrid vocations which are more obscure to unlock than the normal ones

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

big nipples big life posted:

You have to go into the character creator demo and edit a different one, then when you save it will ask if you want to make this the new char the demo sends to the full game.

I've already started a game. If I do this now, will it replace my current pawn?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

THIS IS LITERALLY THE BEST IM SO HAPPY

This game cures my depression

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Spent about 3 hours last night trying to create a rough approximation of my FFXIV character and still am very unsatisfied with. Will probably spend another hour or two tweaking this character further tonight.

MAYBE I'll have a chance to start playing by the end of the weekend.

Despite the incredible amount of customization you can do with the character creator, I'm still intensely disappointed by the lack of moles. I tried to see if I could make a tattoo work, but unfortunately you can't make the tattoos small enough. The one tattoo that is a circle, when shrunk, is still the size of a bottlecap on the side of her face.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Man, I just limit it to 30 fps because my old eyes can barely see the difference mid-battle and the whole thing runs smooth. Maybe I'm too used to old games to care about 'sub-40 frame drops'.

Admittedly I do tend to turn off the hyper fancy graphics options in most games because I don't care all for performance's sake.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

I've already started a game. If I do this now, will it replace my current pawn?

I doubt it, maybe if you use the metamorphosis thing to change appearance. I just know that's how you load different saved presets from the demo creator into the game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

They "disappear" into your storage.

I wish I realized this before buying a second camping set

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Drakenel posted:

Man, I just limit it to 30 fps because my old eyes can barely see the difference mid-battle and the whole thing runs smooth. Maybe I'm too used to old games to care about 'sub-40 frame drops'.

Admittedly I do tend to turn off the hyper fancy graphics options in most games because I don't care all for performance's sake.

My most played game is Arma 3. As far as I can tell, this poo poo's performing INCREDIBLY

Reive
May 21, 2009

How balanced are pawns compared to the arisen? In the first game I felt like you could easily get pawns early on that outclassed everything while you are just running around in a cloth with a rusty sword being useless and dying in one hit.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If you talk to Ser Geoffrey and tell him you're ready to go to the capital, does it skip time and take you there or something? I kind of want to keep exploring, just ignoring the main quest as much as possible, as is tradition.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

If you talk to Ser Geoffrey and tell him you're ready to go to the capital, does it skip time and take you there or something? I kind of want to keep exploring, just ignoring the main quest as much as possible, as is tradition.

It's Dragon's Dogma. What do you think?

It makes you hike all the way there just like in the first game of course.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phlegmish posted:

No, you go on a bit of a trek then a fight happens then it becomes a "We're good here if you want to teleport to the capital with us come along otherwise you can make your own way there"

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

One of the complaints I’ve seen is the lack of pawn voices and having them tied to inclination which *yes* I get but also I love how pawns will talk to each other now (so more lines involved) and I’ve kept a super chatty pawn who’s basically a golden retriever in my party forever because he and my calm pawn have developed some kind of father-son relationship. He’s always pointing out everything like a hyperactive child and my pawn is just trying to calm him down and stop him running off cliffs.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
lol I rode a griffon and now I'm on completely the wrong side of the map and answering riddles a million miles away from the capital.

Thank gently caress I found a ferrystone somewhere earlier, so I know I have an out if needs be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Should I keep toughing it out with the mage class until I get some beefier spells? The flamethrower locks your facing and feels terrible against lots of small guys, while the tiny magic bolts could feel a lot better. The lightning spell is cool but it doesn't appear to find other targets automatically for follow up strikes, so a lot of these goblin fights Kronk is just slicing them up while I plink away.

Also fullscreen doesn't work for me unless I disable my second monitor :shobon: I'm going to look at that goon guide on graphical tweaks, since I 'optimized' my game into looking like rear end lmao