Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the ragdoll physics are loving hilarious because you become a true physics object while in a knockup state, so i had one fight against a chimera where i got tossed and then its tail swiped into me and juggled my frozen body midair for a few seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Got a new pair of boots and now I'm running about the place with my rear end hanging out. Very funny but not exactly regal, but then maybe 'tis the point.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I loving hate the internet.

I googled a random completely unrelated game feature and the first result had a big explicit spoiler about dragonblight right in the first sentence.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Clocks posted:

Man, I got a tutorial popup about dragonblight or whatever the pawn STD is and :staredog: You can only get rid of it by passing it on to someone else. I got rid of that pawn as soon as I could (I found it outdoors or I would've immediately replaced it) but now there's no knowing if I have it instead. :negative:

Then I died to a wild dragon and the game crashed when I reloaded. I wouldn't have died if I was still playing thief but I was trying to level up mystic spearhand. It's a fun class but it doesn't feel as strong so far.

If you want to spoil yourself on how to tell if your pawns have it:

After it progresses for a while, they will start arguing with you when you issue d-pad commands and refusing to follow your orders. This is when you know you absolutely must get rid of them to prevent the worst of Dragonblight.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
does anyone know what area counts as "western vermund" exactly? i have a pawn quest i wanna do but not sure what exactly counts

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I have almost maxed Thief but I don't even know if I want to change, wish you could just make your own with every skill or latent ability. Bomb jump and shredder spin are going to be hard to give up. Then again if none of the others are my favourite then I can always circle back in the end. Mystic Spearman is next and I love spear.

Honestly I just love killin'

Good news; there is a build-your-own vocation :v: I assume it unlocks pretty late though.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

How do I get Giant Monster Woman as my beloved? I love her creepy-rear end smile and terrifying stare.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Speaking of beloveds, this game is really pushing the gay agenda hard! That's two cutscenes where girls have kissed my female arisen! (Not actually complaining but it's pretty funny.) And I haven't even gotten to whatever the beloved bit entails in this game either. :biglips:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Slashing enemies while they're midair after ensare owns

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Good news; there is a build-your-own vocation :v: I assume it unlocks pretty late though.

Oh cool, well I'm also assuming they come back with a DLC full of a harder land and what it so if it's too late I can always look forward to that.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

deep dish peat moss posted:

For Magic Archer unlock:

Thanks! I haven't seen a desert yet so I guess I need to stop randomly wandering everywhere and progress a little bit.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Tried launching the game on Steam and am getting a "cannot reach the game server" notification repeatedly. Any workaround?

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

so shines a good deed, in a weary world

thank ya so much Bloomington!

to pass on some kindness,

pmchem posted:

this pawn has been good murderizing goblins and harpies. digging thief so far

but... pawn quests are a thing? I need someone to hire my pawn for them to complete quests, I guess. come get a free wakestone

Wonder Woman
(level 9 thief)
Simple
Pawn ID X3AZ5KDK96GB
edit: platform PC/steam
if ya hit the inn ww should now be even better at murderin'

also I've hired shaggy 3 times so far and he's always IMMEDIATELY zoinked into brine, but i'm hopeful this time he'll go the distance for da sweet sweet reward

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the pawn system is great because of the wild variance in experiences it creates. sometimes you run into a pawn you hired 20 levels previously out in the wild and get to bring them back on, and sometimes you touch a ruined riftstone and a horrible 8ft tall goblin woman pops out telling you of her skill with curatives

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Tabletops posted:

does anyone know what area counts as "western vermund" exactly? i have a pawn quest i wanna do but not sure what exactly counts

Just checked by camping and comparing the badges, but it seems like it's the big river to the west that marks the boundary, which makes sense.

Also found that Warrior is the best class, because the Lunge/charge moves don't seem to be affected by carryweight
so it's both fast and cheaper than regular sprinting and with a big enough stack of potatoes you can just run forever.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
What can I use the beastren mask for? Bought it because it seemed interesting but I gave no clue if it does anything

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Just got my first Dragon kill because it walked backwards into the water when spewing flames, really glad this game got me to finally figure out how to set up OBS like Shadowplay so I can just press a button to save whatever dumb/cool poo poo that happened.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Play posted:

What can I use the beastren mask for? Bought it because it seemed interesting but I gave no clue if it does anything

you can supposedly use it to bypass the checkpoint without having to present papers, although it didn't work for me when i tried, so you might have to be on a specific quest to get it to work

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Phlegmish posted:

Your Master gets turned into a literal pulp and that's all you have to say?

I made her Calm but I fear I may have created a monster
Yeah I'm increasingly reading my calm pawn as catty and I love it.

Playing some more I also think I agree that combat is a little bit of a downgrade from DD1.
When not on completely flat surfaces The terrain blocks and interferes with your movements in weird ways -but doesn't do the same for mobs. Similarly the game seems to give priority to their attacks or is more generous about counting their hits or staggering you, while even wolves and goblins rarely flinch from my sword attacks as fighter.
Or maybe it's just fighter that uniquely gets shafted, and if I swap vocations I'll able to stab stuff good. I just love sword and board, and it sucks mystic knight is gone, but then again it wasn't like they actually used their giant gently caress-off shields.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 24, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Vermain posted:

you can supposedly use it to bypass the checkpoint without having to present papers, although it didn't work for me when i tried, so you might have to be on a specific quest to get it to work

You have to use it in conjunction with the papers (if you're not a beastren) - the papers you get from the main quest are for a bestren merchant.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Coolness Averted posted:

Similarly the game seems to give priority to their attacks or is more generous about counting their hits or staggering you, while even wolves and goblins rarely flinch from my sword attacks as fighter.

Might be talking out of my rear end, but stagger might be based on knockdown power, which is higher on blunt weapons, switching my warrior from Sword to Warhammer made be stagger pretty much anything except dragons and gryphons. I want to say the tool tip says fighter can have maces, though I haven't seen one yet. And goblins etc. are just using clubs which are as blunt as can be.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wow, so I got this simple quest early on. Some guy in the city was like "hey come check out my art show!" And hell yeah I'm down. His loving art show is in Berthal which is basically on the other corner of the map. Nothing else wants me to go there, I haven't really done the main quest besides the first go kill some monsters one.

gently caress it running right this city to see the art. It takes ages, I'm running into broken bridges and oceans thinking I'm close, but I gotta do a huge loop. I run into a couple new min towns or pitstops but don't even stop I'm on my mission. So many cave and treasures I passed up, plenty to kill on the way though.

I eventually reach this massive wall, and a checkpoint town named Checkpoint lol. Immediately people are all get my generals get me my son get me into the wizards pants. I save the kid, which accidentally involved killing a lich when it was supposed to be wolves. It was pitch dark and I kept my torch on bc the ghosts freak out the pawns and scatter them too far. Really fun fighting a lich in graveyard at night though, very spooky.

Anyhow, save the kid, dump all my gold into crazy weapon upgrades, my Garfield literally over doubled his magic score. Still wearing panties though bc the next upgrade I found was a loincloth lol.

I go up to the gate and this dude won't let me through, I back up to maybe look for a way over or something and a fancy rich guy ox cart comes by. I get on it and just stand there and it keeps going and the gate opens for it and I go through and get two achievements. I'm not even in trouble! I try to sit down and the dude isn't giving rides. I'm just chilling on it anyway and I think guards are trying to fight but the caravan guards are protecting me or the cart? Wild, but its working. Now I'm just slowly cruising straight to my destination. I'm AFK just listening for attack noises.

This game is great, I can't wait to see this art show.

Edit: okay a gryphon plated the oxcart and the. Ran away before we could finish killing it. So I'll be walking the rest of the way.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 24, 2024

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Hel posted:

Might be talking out of my rear end, but stagger might be based on knockdown power, which is higher on blunt weapons, switching my warrior from Sword to Warhammer made be stagger pretty much anything except dragons and gryphons. I want to say the tool tip says fighter can have maces, though I haven't seen one yet. And goblins etc. are just using clubs which are as blunt as can be.

I've noticed wolves, bandits with swords and a bunch of other stuff also don't flinch from my attacks while I get staggered by theirs even in plate, but yeah if I see a 1 handed mace I'll see if that fixes it.

Blegh I also had a quest bug out and block saving. They were walking up to me when I used a camp and now they're just gone. I'd just accept that's one quest I won't finish, except now both save options are greyed out. I'm still prompted to report back that I rescued them, but the quest giver won't trigger it. I think the game has the logic of either the npc needs to die or walk back to town and neither happened.

E: ah ha! I found out save/quit was disabled because I got blighted, so curing that let me restart. NPC is still missing and the quest won't finish, but at least I can move on.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 24, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Raising affinity to max with someone disables the ability to throw them.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jack Trades posted:

Raising affinity to max with someone disables the ability to throw them.

But it's my love language!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are all timed quests marked as timed in the quest log?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
What skills are good to put on a Thief pawn? I'd like her to be useful to people who borrow her.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thundarr posted:

Do pawn specialization books get expended when you use them, or can they be re-used so you can swap between specializations at will once you have obtained them?

I think they're just gone, so if you wanna switch back then you have to somehow find another of the one you used.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Had time to play a few hours last night, ran a lot better than me initial run, which left me carefully optimistic. It did take a dive already in Melve, so how'll the capital be, but open world was fine. Still kinda learning the controls, only level 9, but I added my pawn Couscous to the spreadsheet if anyone wants to take her along.

e: G3UTQ2RH93NA

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 24, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

if you have a 40xx video card, this mod almost doubled my fps: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/39

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh gently caress yeah i got magic archer finally (apparently you can just run there lmao)

this is even cooler in this game somehow this owns

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Had a cool thing happen to me earlier where there was a chest up on a ledge I couldn't reach and a mage pawn I hired went "I can get that if you want" and after giving her the go she levitated over to it. That's impressive enough but the really neat part is that there was a back way around that wouldn't have required any levitation, but rather than pathfinding all the way around, the pawn actually understood how to sequence break. She even went "I'm gonna take a look around to see if there's anything else up here" after looting the chest. It's such an improvement over the the pawn AI in the first game, where I'm not sure they even knew how to use levitate at all.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Nemo2342 posted:

What skills are good to put on a Thief pawn? I'd like her to be useful to people who borrow her.

I can only really comment as a thief main but man, it's such a good class. I would say ensnare/implicate to create openings for others and deal with flying enemies, helm splitter for large enemies, and powder blast because it's cool. Then the parry one, instant kill or something like that is really good. Or formless feint although that's a special skill. Makes you unhittable while draining stamina.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Everdraed posted:

I swear I waited hours for this goddamn quince to ripen (very important an old man gets a ripe quince, I Get it), and a pawn I offhandedly summoned to help kill some headless bastard logistician'd it to themselves and ATE it

seriously considering an inn reload over a fukken quince

edit: do NOT hire this pawn they are a QUINCE THIEF they did it before they will do it again

of course

Inclination: Serene Calm as they knowingly pluck a vital quince and consume it whole (doesn't even taste it) just to see an old man die

no quince is safe from chicago lola

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

oh gently caress yeah i got magic archer finally (apparently you can just run there lmao)

this is even cooler in this game somehow this owns

Unlocked the augment that gives your basic shots elements after an element shot and I think the bow is bugged, it was visibly doing that to begin with. Not sure if it working correctly yet, but it seems to be? Not sure what optimal DPS would look like, you’re faster with normal arrows so presumably it’s elemental bolt for elements and then regular shots, but it seems like special shots do WAY more damage, and there’s no stamina penalty or anything so no real reason to not spam

Idk it’s a weird weapon now but kinda owns

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Hm, the girl in Melve I bought the medicine for was supposed to give me a specialization book when I found her in the capital apparently? Because she totally didn't.

She did for me a while after. She just appeared out of nowhere in the commonor quarter and accosted me and gave me the book.

Vermain posted:

the pawn system is great because of the wild variance in experiences it creates. sometimes you run into a pawn you hired 20 levels previously out in the wild and get to bring them back on, and sometimes you touch a ruined riftstone and a horrible 8ft tall goblin woman pops out telling you of her skill with curatives

I think the pawn system is a great alternative to map/quest markers. You can just keep getting new pawns and wander around and let them lead you places. And I imagine as you get higher level and players have done more, the pawns will be able to lead you to more stuff (not entirely sure how this works - can pawns point you towards anything they got with their Arisen?).

It takes a huge mental load off, since constantly scanning the environment visually is very tiring for me. It's nice to just follow one of the pawns somewhere (and it seems like one of them asks if you want to check something out every 1-2 minutes).

Another neat thing is that I believe you can search for pawns who can help with specific quests. So that addresses the "no/vague quest markers" issue in a way that feels less "gamey."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 24, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any reason to sleep at an inn except to update your pawn? They cost a lot of money and don't even provide a buff, whereas camping is free and does.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just got my first Seeker token from the big rear end headless statue right outside Melve near the old woman and her apprentice quest. Should be easy to remember.

I mean, I'm meant to talk to Ser Whatever at the gates of Melve and head to the capital with him, but I just keep finding stuff in these starter woods!

e: Got killed by a loving slime

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 24, 2024

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nemo2342 posted:

My thief pawn uses explosive charges, ensnare, and the fire damage self buff a lot and they're very helpful -but I'm playing a fighter so really like elemental damage and tugging poo poo outta the air.
A ranger or caster might find all of that less useful. I've never equipped the stealth skills on her, so don't know if those actually get used or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there any reason to sleep at an inn except to update your pawn? They cost a lot of money and don't even provide a buff, whereas camping is free and does.

You will soon get access to all the benefits of sleeping at an inn for free, as you progress the story.

You can also cook food at a camp without actually sleeping.