Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Steve Yun posted:

hmm pretty big difference between these two
BioBot has 11% as many participating sampling sites as the CDC NWSS program (141 vs 1,205).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Steve Yun posted:

oh no the economyyyy
after all those lockdowns and no-one getting sick at all, the country is just experiencing sick note immune debt. soon we'll have sick note endemicity, which i am reliably informed is good, and the economy will recover

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Insanite posted:

100%. if i see a duckbill, i assume that is someone who knows their poo poo.

Duckbills are incredible. So comfortable. If you're still rocking an Aura, you owe it to yourself to try a duckbill. I wear the Eclipse Horizon.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

oh no the economyyyy

"sick note epidemic" :lmao:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Steve Yun posted:

oh no the economyyyy

Reminds me a bit of that scene in The Terror where the doctor is explaining to the shaman "We're here to help our economy."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

I gave up on covid precautions and I have been mysteriously sick in one mildly debilitating way or another ever since. Keep up the good work thread

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Hashy posted:

I gave up on covid precautions and I have been mysteriously sick in one mildly debilitating way or another ever since. Keep up the good work thread

Immunity debt

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Hashy posted:

:mods:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

eta:

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 10:27 on Mar 24, 2024

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
tbh I always figured that was a side effect of living in a city during the industrial revolution before anyone started thinking maybe everyone choking to death and dying from drinking nearby water might be bad

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

tbh I always figured that was a side effect of living in a city during the industrial revolution before anyone started thinking maybe everyone choking to death and dying from drinking nearby water might be bad

same as it ever was

I have tons of observations about how filthy and toxic modern cities are too. from car tires destroying watersheds to covid-laden zephyrs haunting apartment building hallways. cities never actually got better, we just offshored the most egregious sources of pollution and did a tiny bit of public health for awhile.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
tons of Victorian stuff had poison in it, like

dyes used in clothes, wallpaper, furniture and curyains? Arsenic trioxide and/or copper sulfate

eyedrops to make your eyes bigger? deadly nightshade

colored candy? mercury sulfide, lead chromate, arsenic, copper chromate

“medicine” that contained arsenic, strychnine

crystalware that would leach lead into drinks, especially alcohol storage

lead in makeup

ironically the more money you had the more poisoned poo poo you could expose yourself to

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BREAKING: CDC announces kids can have little a Bradford humbug, as a treat

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
https://twitter.com/TheVertlartnic/status/1771646411597062477

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Open windows are lockdown.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Or how every other US president from the early 1800s died from drinking poopwater due to the open pits a few blocks from the White House. "Got too cold and took a chill" "Ate too many cherries" nah it was doodoo ingestion.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

ironically the more money you had the more poisoned poo poo you could expose yourself to

This famous rich dude drank radium water until his jaw rotted off

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eben_Byers

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
What did they have to say about whether leprosy spreads in schools and restaurants?

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

cholera may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people develop public health programs, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

FistEnergy posted:

Or how every other US president from the early 1800s died from drinking poopwater due to the open pits a few blocks from the White House. "Got too cold and took a chill" "Ate too many cherries" nah it was doodoo ingestion.

Hell of presidents, high point of the podcast medium

Apr 7, 2003

Ahahaha what the gently caress

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/health/2024/03/24/how-to-treat-fever-kids/stories/202403240010

quote:

Cold Case: When a fever spikes, anxiety shouldn't. Sometimes, no treatment can be the best medicine for kids.

The antidote to fear-based reactions — and having confidence that fever is not, in itself, an enemy — is education

As soon as a child’s fever spikes, so does parental anxiety. The medicine cups fly. Someone’s drawing a bath. There may be a call to the pediatrician’s after-hours line.

Here’s the tough love: In most cases, those are overreactions.

“We don’t treat fevers just because you have a fever,” said Todd Wolynn, pediatrician and co-founder of Kids Plus Pediatrics in Squirrel Hill, Pleasant Hills and Cranberry. “Fevers are the body’s sign that it’s responding to some sort of situation, whether it’s infection or a revved up immune system from a vaccine.”

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Samuel Glompers posted:

Hell of presidents, high point of the podcast medium

agreed 100% please get better Matt :ohdear:

Apr 7, 2003

Bonus “just the flu” content

quote:

BRADENTON, Fla. — Colin Holderman might be the only one down here who missed the grind of spring training. For the Pirates reliever, it was much worse.

Holderman was hit hard — really hard — by the illness that made its way around the Pirates clubhouse over the past few weeks. So much so that he went to an area hospital to receive additional fluids and lost roughly 15 pounds.

Although he’s back and on his fifth day throwing, including a bullpen on Saturday, Holderman told the Post-Gazette that he expects to open the season on the 15-day injured list due to all of the time missed.

“Had a rough go of it,” Holderman said. “Had a fever for about seven days. We’re trying to claw back. Gained about five pounds back already. Still have some work to do.

“I am feeling better now. My bullpen was almost the same as beforehand, so I’m not too worried about it. Just have to get the weight back.”

Plenty of Pirates players missed time with the flu, but Holderman’s case was the most severe.

He actually thought the virus — he said he was told he was Influenza A — had returned on St. Patrick’s Day and considered going back to the hospital. But he ditched the idea when there were no available beds.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I know you’re reading this thread so here’s some workshop feedback. remove a step:

“time traveler from 2020 tries to tell people that air ventilation can fight respiratory viruses”

clearer. conciser.

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/24/us/politics/pandemic-politics-malaise.html

quote:

How a Pandemic Malaise Is Shaping American Politics

Four years later, the shadow of the pandemic continues to play a profound role in voters’ pessimism and distrust amid a presidential rematch.

quote:

Philip D. Zelikow, the lawyer who served as the executive director of the commission that investigated the Sept. 11 terror attacks, said the Biden administration moved too quickly to put the pandemic behind it.

“Since the Biden administration never conducted an investigation of the crisis,” Mr. Zelikow said, “and also the Biden administration never developed a serious package of reforms to react to the crisis, the administration basically left the impression that it accepted that the government had failed, but just didn’t want to talk about it anymore.”

Mr. Zelikow, who describes himself as a political independent and says he opposes Mr. Trump, led a nonpartisan team of more than 30 experts called the Covid Crisis Group that investigated the pandemic response and published its findings in a book, “Lessons From the Covid War.” He said that the federal government’s failure to explain how the pandemic happened had accelerated distrust in institutions, and that such an erosion would most likely benefit Mr. Trump, who argues — often falsely — that American politics and government are “rigged” systems.

quote:

Julie Fry, a public defender in New Jersey, spent months pushing administrators and politicians in her state to reopen shuttered public schools. Three years later, her young daughters are thriving in school.

But she feels angry and resentful — at politicians from both parties — when she recalls those long months of home-schooling and the mental health toll it took on so many children.

“I feel like Trump was a mess and Biden was a coward about doing what was right for kids,” said Ms. Fry, who describes herself as a staunch liberal. “There were no grown-ups willing to speak up for what kids needed.”

Mostly, though, Ms. Fry is trying to move forward.

“I try not to be bitter,” she said. “I just have to live with the fact that this happened and people who I thought were allies and had the same values failed me and my kids.”

The problem is that we did anything at all to keep people from dying

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Force these teachers to get sick and die because I can’t be bothered to take care of my own kids!!!

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

quote:

He actually thought the virus — he said he was told he was Influenza A — had returned on St. Patrick’s Day and considered going back to the hospital. But he ditched the idea when there were no available beds.

A classic sign of Not Collapse

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol no wonder our overwhelmingly right wing / centrist government absolutely refused to do anything meaningful about covid

gently caress, christ

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bastard Tetris posted:

Force these teachers to get sick and die because I can’t be bothered to take care of my own kids!!!

also you know, force my kids to die and kill their friends! b b but mEntAL hEalTH

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Steve Yun posted:

eyedrops to make your eyes bigger? deadly nightshade
they still use atropine

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ah yes, the one thing we did to actually make a dent in youth suicide rates. that’s the thing we need to roll back. we need to roll it back for mental health.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The tree of neverending economic growth must be refreshed constantly with the blood of the unprofitable

Number go up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Last I checked, The Science* was weak and contradictory on the outcomes of breaking low-grade fevers with OTC antipyretics.

Arguments to let a fever run its course are vibes-based.

* by which I mean journal articles, not Anthony Fauci’s self-styled nickname

Apr 7, 2003

It was the tone of that article more than anything else that got me. Stop panicking! Quit overacting if your kid is sick!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
My dad just called for the first time in awhile - his GI doctor wanted him to schedule an endoscopy for January 2025, my dad (who was wearing an aura) said no because COVID is always exploding then. The doctor rolled his eyes and said there's no point in masks (they don't work!) and he doesn't even bother getting the shots anymore because the best thing you can do is keep getting infected for the immunity (!). He decided to switch doctors after that (sorry mods, I can't make him Listen to His Medical Professional).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

She sued her critics in a multimillion-dollar lawsuit that was so far beyond the pale that the courts ordered her to pay the other side’s defense fees.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

my dad (who was wearing an aura) said no because COVID is always exploding then. The doctor rolled his eyes and said there's no point in masks (they don't work!)

hotdogman.jpeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Why Am I So Tired posted:

My dad just called for the first time in awhile - his GI doctor wanted him to schedule an endoscopy for January 2025, my dad (who was wearing an aura) said no because COVID is always exploding then. The doctor rolled his eyes and said there's no point in masks (they don't work!) and he doesn't even bother getting the shots anymore because the best thing you can do is keep getting infected for the immunity (!). He decided to switch doctors after that (sorry mods, I can't make him Listen to His Medical Professional).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WTB2I5Flqw

same energy