Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Running around in the ranger tights with my female arisen makes me feel like I'm playing Nier Automata.

I decided I wanted my pawn to pick up some archer augments and the booty is equal opportunity at least. I haven't rested at an inn in ages because I don't want to send him to the rift as anything but a thief though. Every time I train up a different pawn vocation it means we have to go camping for a week.

edit: a shameful snipe deserves photographic evidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I don't think so, you should do the quest with the guy hanging out in the capitol city in front of the weapon shop

Omg the dork who always says "this is quality!"??

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That guy and his family are pretty cool but I hope there's more stuff you can do with the elves in general if you can find a pawn to translate, because otherwise not-rivendell feels very half baked

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like this game a lot but I think they could stand to lower the spawn rate of goblins, wolves, and lizards. Half the time when an encounter ends with goblins wolves then lizards attack me. It's not tremendously fun since they're not really a challenge at this point. I want to head to the desert soon but I'm sure it'll be the same on those roads too.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Mr E posted:

I like this game a lot but I think they could stand to lower the spawn rate of goblins, wolves, and lizards. Half the time when an encounter ends with goblins wolves then lizards attack me. It's not tremendously fun since they're not really a challenge at this point. I want to head to the desert soon but I'm sure it'll be the same on those roads too.

I have good news. It's worse!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

First time using maelstrom on a griffin and that poor bird did not stand a chance

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Like genuinely the endless trash fights are sapping my desire to continue playing the game. I can't stop to appreciate the environment or exploration and just look around because there's a pack of 6 goblins that decided they wanted to die today right around the corner every time. It's exhausting

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If youre a magic person you can just keep running and leave a thunder mine behind you

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah they really could remove like a third of the spawns in the world. I had one battle where I ran into a troll. While fighting it goblins, those green goblins, harpies and wolves showed up during the fight. This stretched out so long that it became night and then skeletons and ghosts started showing up to the fight.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Tabletops posted:

just an fyi you can get the same pawn quest reward multiple times

so if you find a pawn that has a trade for like a goblin horn and they'll give you 10,000 gold you can hire them, give them the item and get the gold, send them back and do it again lol
I set ralsei to trade one waking powder for 10k, if anybody wants to take advantage of dis. potion merchant in main town (and many others) should have a stack of 9 right there

06IFOTXMRSSI

lvl 46 so feel free to friend me on steam to get free recruit 30298569

please help wake up dis sleepy boy

I looked through da possible reward items, this seems like (if someone will at least gift you one back) it'll allow duping of any armor weapon ring etc you have in your possession? it doesn't allow bugs n seekers n ferrystones n portcrystals, but you can put in as many as you have of allheals elixirs? this seems incredibly broken haha

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 26, 2024

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Leal posted:

Yeah they really could remove like a third of the spawns in the world. I had one battle where I ran into a troll. While fighting it goblins, those green goblins, harpies and wolves showed up during the fight. This stretched out so long that it became night and then skeletons and ghosts started showing up to the fight.

For real, I just went to the second main city and I couldn’t go 30 feet without running into another pack of enemies. Just let me have a few minutes of peace to walk around the world.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Owl Inspector posted:

I got a chirurgeon’s tome from the girl you first meet in melve who wants medicine. I did her quest and a little after I met her in vernworth, she suddenly gave me the tome.

I met her in Vernworth and she just thanked me and gave me nothing. I got ripped off!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Leal posted:

Imo Dragon's Dogma would be way more boring if it toned down this "no gently caress u" design. Most of what I like about the combat is that it's usually pure chaos where you can be fighting a cyclops and a pack of wolves but then a gryphon swoops in because it wanted to eat an ox because gently caress you. It's what makes the combat extra satisfying when your party goes full gank squad on everything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Leal posted:

Just did the quest with the kid who gets dragged off by wolves. Am I utterly blind or was there no glowing flowers heading to where the kid was? At the graveyard where the quest marker and my pawn led me I saw a trail going into a cave in the opposite direction, but that just led me back to town.

E: I had to look up a guide on where to go and it said "You'll see glowing flowers going in that direction" but I didn't see any show up until I was halfway towards the right direction.

The flowers only glow at night, you can see petals on the floor leading to the cave but they're harder to spot during the day.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ytlaya posted:

I'm a person who generally has trouble playing "open" games like this and prefers very "directed" games with clear objectives. I expected to fall off of this quickly like I did with Elden Ring or the open world Zeldas. I think this is the first really "open" game I've really been hooked on.

I'm not even entirely sure why. I think it's a combination of the combat feeling more "tangible"* and the game generally being easier than, say, Elden Ring (so there isn't the same sense of constant tension). And the world still has more NPCs and quests than in the open world Zelda games.

* probably not coincidentally, I also got pretty into Monster Hunter World for a while. I like it when attacks feel "physical" and aren't just animations that create numbers.

The cave is weirdly far away from where the quest sends you.

It's because most open world games are just an excuse for you to travel around looking for content in a big space and the content invariably becomes tedious because the gameplay isn't complex or interesting enough to support it past a certain amount of playtime (Cyberpunk 2077), or because there is a massive fall-off in quality or variety as the game progresses because trying to figure out how to pull all the player's past experiences, item collection, and game knowledge into a balanced endgame is extremely difficult, like Elden Ring and the booty rear end last quarter of the game where they made it so virtually everything kills you in two hits even if you stacked health and survability insanely and you run into tons of repeat content because making these games is literally not a sustainable practice, they take insane amounts of time and money to make so there's always something that has to give unless you're like Rockstar levels of moneyed with infinite time.

Speaking of Rockstar, RDR2 is an extremely different game but succeeds far more than most open world games for the same reason this one does, the gameplay may be limited in scope, but the AI, layered mechanics that can interact in many ways, and the physics system can make even the most basic encounters have some crazy poo poo happen in them.

It's far more exciting to come across a campsite, shoot a guy in the foot, watch him trip and accidentally pull the trigger of his own gun into his own face, then look at his goofy rear end dead body just laying there anti-climactically. I remember that 5 second long interaction more than I do like 90% of the content in something like Horizon: Zero Dawn lol.

This game is very similar in that regard. It's fun to explore because the terrain can make poo poo crazy. The fact that you can run off a cliff and land on top of a cyclop's head and start wailing on it is such a simple thing, but outright makes the world and its geography feel more consequential.

I'm tired of open world games that are just static. I want more complex AI, more goofy poo poo to happen, or at the very least, a reason for the world to be open outside of being an amusement park or selling scale. This isn't even getting into poo poo how just having the camping mechanic, reloads chunking off a bit of your healthbar, and the world being hostile because it steadily depletes your resources as you over-extend, actually makes it feel like you're going on a journey instead of just ping-ponging between fast travels or trying to make it to the next bonfire or whatever.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Imo Dragon's Dogma would be way more boring if it toned down this "no gently caress u" design. Most of what I like about the combat is that it's usually pure chaos where you can be fighting a cyclops and a pack of wolves but then a gryphon swoops in because it wanted to eat an ox because gently caress you. It's what makes the combat extra satisfying when your party goes full gank squad on everything.

It's funny because the OG first two Gothic games basically did the opposite, outside of areas that made sense, if you killed everything in an area, it just stayed dead forever lol, it was kind of cool because it felt like you really did clear up this wack rear end prison dome.

I see a lot of Gothic DNA in the DD games tbh, I dunno if the devs ever played them, but those games also relied heavily on emergent gameplay, the world feeling genuinely dangerous and hostile, and wild poo poo happening because of NPC interactions. It still blows my mind that for over a decade barely any other RPGs implemented a good solution to "you have stolen my chicken egg; the sentence is death" problem whereas Gothic NPCs would just beat your rear end unconscious, then take what you stole off your floored body, and usually something extra while calling you a piece of poo poo lol.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

levitate is so clutch, i can't imagine playing without it but i'm sure other classes have similar things

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I wish my pawn with levitate would actually loving use it instead of falling into the brine.
I started archer, switched to mage just to do levitate because I thought I could sequence-break by reaching a rope ladder only to find it's a locked door anyway. (ice attack leaving a scalable ledge + levitate got me up there btw) I'd love to use it to do more exploring as other classes without having to switch to mage if I want to try and get around.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 26, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

johnny park posted:

Battahl is cool looking and all but how in god's name does their city even function with this many monsters just strolling about on their main major trade thoroughfare? I had to butcher probably close to a hundred enemies just walking down the road. It gets real tedious after a while

I have a cautionary tale to tell in this regard. I ran to Bakhbattahl with a horde of monsters in tow, as you do, and after having fought them off with the help of the locals, I proceeded to look for Menella, who was supposed to help me with the main quest. She was nowhere to be found, I thought maybe my game was bugged, then I decided to check the morgue. Sure enough, she was there, and I had to waste a wakestone on her. Kind of messed up that you can lose crucial NPCs in this way, although I assume she would have respawned eventually.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
i am losing my mind trying to find the first seeker token I found. I have no idea where it was but apparently I missed just about every early game one.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Anyone experienced any obnoxious guard aggro behavior?

I did a quest that involved gaol breaking a magistrate. My pawns attacked some guards in the course of it and now I’m finding hostile guards.

Not always. It’s unpredictable. I just took a drat ox cart somewhere and had to kill the cart guards after a monster attack mid-route to proceed. Also had something similar while wandering around a cart stand before then.

Sucks if I have to restart my whole game over this.

E: burned down my cash and then got arrested on purpose so that I could bribe my way out for cheap. Fingers crossed.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 26, 2024

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm like 100% hosed on that. I know I got one in like maybe the trek to border checkpoint town, but if I seriously want to try and get it I'll have to do some nutty cross elimination with some websites map.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I work my way into Bhattal the back way and circle all the way around to the other side of the gate, and they won't even let me back through! Oh well, at least I got to gently caress up a griffon while I was here and I've got some ferrystones to spare.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
well i have discovered a hosed up interaction with trolls, if you hide in a house eventually they try and grab you out of it. Im pretty sure i'm 100% hosed

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Wow I went back to Vermouth after faffing around in Battahl for a bit and I'm still running into new quests. There's definitely not a lack of content.

Also I fought a drake and got it to about half health and it flew off, then a griffon landed in the same spot and I was about to kill it then it also took off :(

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I unlocked Trickster just for the level 2 Augment that lets you get a clue as to where chests and seeker's tokens are. The clue is an audiovisual alert, it glimmers at a quiet rate, getting faster when you're close. It also makes a soft glinty noise, just soft enough that you had to lean over and listen. And they are stuck in all kinds places. There's one up high on a tower that you need to have Levitate to climb that one ladder that gets pointed at every time your pawns come into view. There's one on the outside of the walls on a narrow ledge. There's one out in the middle of the cornfield, just sitting on the ground.

There are two hundred forty of them. Some of them require you to fly on a harpy to get up high enough. Some of them are on locations you swear should be unintended to be accessed.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

So Sigurd appeared at my house in cat land and asked to go on a personal journey to a place outside the Checkpoint town, but I got arrested and it said the quest failed. Is there any way to fix this?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Insanite posted:

Anyone experienced any obnoxious guard aggro behavior?

I did a quest that involved gaol breaking a magistrate. My pawns attacked some guards in the course of it and now I’m finding hostile guards.

Not always. It’s unpredictable. I just took a drat ox cart somewhere and had to kill the cart guards after a monster attack mid-route to proceed. Also had something similar while wandering around a cart stand before then.

Sucks if I have to restart my whole game over this.

Have you tried camping in the wilderness for a week or so? A lot of behaviors and spawns reset on some kind of timer & it might work to get the guards back into appropriate behavior.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Do some of the larger monster encounters respawn? I kept getting cyclops quest pawns but never when I actually encounter them!

Also as an archer, I find kicking a lot of things to death quite effective so far. So many wolves just kicked in the fuckin' face.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Once you're used to the big dick damage that the thief or archer etc can deal you'd think the trickster would be not that interesting. But you'd be wrong. It's some of the most fun you can have in a videogame especially once you unlock the illusory floor ability. Jesus christ its funny to just send ogres plummeting to their deaths. It really needs a vocation rank or two to start singing but don't miss out. Don't run a tanking pawn with it, you don't need it. Just pure damage and maybe an offensively species mage with a heal is enough.

I might ng+ an only this class run just to see how much I can get it to do

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 26, 2024

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

:c00lbutt:

So I've gotten Trickster to rank 5. Going to spoiler my thoughts just in case someone wants to be completely blind to it.

It's a fun class, but you absolutely have to rely on your pawns for damage, because your censure does nothing. I will say that I ran a warrior, sorcerer, and archer with the trickster and we managed to get from the capital to elf town without taking too much in the way of permanent health damage. That includes fighting a cyclops, an ogre, and a chimera.

So like, it's a decent class for tanking and you can make sure none of your guys really take any damage so long as you're good with keeping the illusion up, but I don't think I will continue to play it once I max out the vocation. I haven't had a chance to try out the illusory floors yet, but the walls don't seem to actually do anything?

Super interesting vocation, I'm going to play around with it some more. I may not have just tapped into what this vocation is capable of yet.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Did some mystic spearhand, about half mastery, but couldn't really love it. There are some very cool moves, and maybe I gave up too early, but it just didn't feel nearly as good as the Thief.

I think I will try trickster next, although I don't think I have very good gear for it.

Zore posted:

i am losing my mind trying to find the first seeker token I found. I have no idea where it was but apparently I missed just about every early game one.

Amazingly, I actually perfectly remembered where mine was. Luckily it was in a notable place, next to one of those statues you often find that can have messages on them. Near the little girl death-mage-in-training's house.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Nancy posted:

Have you tried camping in the wilderness for a week or so? A lot of behaviors and spawns reset on some kind of timer & it might work to get the guards back into appropriate behavior.

I did an arrest-bribe cycle and haven’t had any issues since. Not yet confident that anything is fixed, but it at least makes sense to me. :cheersdoge:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Play posted:

Did some mystic spearhand, about half mastery, but couldn't really love it. There are some very cool moves, and maybe I gave up too early, but it just didn't feel nearly as good as the Thief.

I think I will try trickster next, although I don't think I have very good gear for it.

Amazingly, I actually perfectly remembered where mine was. Luckily it was in a notable place, next to one of those statues you often find that can have messages on them. Near the little girl death-mage-in-training's house.

You probably gave up too early. Spearhand really takes a bit to get everything it needs to click

People are sleeping on that dragoon jump counter too. That thing will instantly get you on top of monsters in a standing position and ready to stab

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 26, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I think I hosed up the beggar quest. I got tired of waiting to follow him around, and I randomly found his clothes while looting a house. I tried to give them to the guy who gave me the quest, but he didn't have the option. The next morning I found the guy by his house and gave him back the beggar clothes so now I guess there will always be some fake beggar out there? It's auto saved so I just gotta live with it, that's dragons Dogma for ya.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

You probably gave up too early. Spearhand really takes a bit to get everything it needs to click

People are sleeping on that dragoon jump counter too. That thing will instantly get you on top of monsters in a standing position and ready to stab

Once I realized that interaction I started having a lot more fun with the class. The magic attack you unlock where you charge up a shot is great for damage too.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
man there's so many good fighter skills and i want to take all of them. as annoying as harpies are i'm not sure if i care enough about them to dedicate a whole slot to them, but i also basically have NO answer to them unless they come down into my face

i also suspect skewer might be bait if i'm solo, i think like 90% of my damage taken against big enemies was fall damage from getting knocked off

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm leveling up mage to get the augment for the extended buff time since I read it effects the spear mage shield and I'm jonesing for the spear again

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Khanstant posted:

Haha I think I hosed up the beggar quest. I got tired of waiting to follow him around, and I randomly found his clothes while looting a house. I tried to give them to the guy who gave me the quest, but he didn't have the option. The next morning I found the guy by his house and gave him back the beggar clothes so now I guess there will always be some fake beggar out there? It's auto saved so I just gotta live with it, that's dragons Dogma for ya.

That's one of the endings to the quest.

The other is you give it to his wife (the Beastran woman he hangs out with at the slum tavern in the afternoon) and she does a murder/suicide after learning he's been a rich rear end in a top hat cosplaying as a beggar and stringing her along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
God, this game is extremely Dragon's Dogma 2 in the sort of "he is extremely his father's son" kind of way. The quest design is just so hostile in a way that very few games are.