Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

TeaJay posted:

Is grabbing onto the enemies' legs and try to topple them actually a thing? The game seems to indicate it is, but even on my warrior, I have no idea if it's actually doing anything. Or does simply hitting their legs a lot count as stagger?

I think it does a bit of knockdown damage, but I mostly mean strike attacks, and with fighter specifically it felt like shield pummel worked really well.

I feel like I've definitely toppled a cyclops by jumping on it when it was wobbling, but maybe my pawn tripped it at the same time.

Also, ricochet hunter in an enclosed room is incredibly busted. I know it's been said before, but you really have to experience it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Vargs posted:

Anyone else finding climbing monsters to be not really worth it compared to DD1? The main issue is that in the first game, your primary means of getting up there was to jump while grabbed on, which gave you a lot of vertical distance, at which point you'd grab again. Repeat as necessary. It was reasonably quick, felt good, and had a bit of a skill element to it.

I have had no luck doing this in DD2 at all, so instead you have to sloooowly clamber up them with the incredibly awkward and unpredictable controls for doing so. It takes so much time that you're bound to get knocked off before you can get much done, not to mention how much stamina it takes to climb around for that long. Whatever extra damage you get out of this just doesn't seem worth it compared to hanging out on the ground using abilities that can hit high, or even just slicing at the ankles using whatever has the highest dps. Doesn't help that monsters seem like 50% taller this time around too.

I refuse to use the spinny move because it's brokenly overpowered, just like I refused to use it on strider in DD1.

It's been easier to just knock some big enemies over from the ground, so climbing hasn't always been necessary. In situations like grabbing onto a drake or griffin, having a shortcut to take stamina items makes holding onto them a lot easier while they fly around, and it's especially useful as a Fighter using Gouging Skewer to rapidly stab them again and again while holding on.

I've put the launching/lifting abilities on my main pawn to see if they'll help me climb up faster, and also practiced the distance getting my pawns up onto enemies, but there are like 5 or 6 classes who can do most of their damage without even needing to make physical contact.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wish more dungeons weren't just short caves with some bandits or goblins in them. Give me more mini-bosses damnit!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Broken Cog posted:

I wish more dungeons weren't just short caves with some bandits or goblins in them. Give me more mini-bosses damnit!

Also I wish more caves didn't break my pawns. They like to get stuck on a tiny ledge and just flip back and forth until I realize they're like three halls behind us, run back and throw them out of the ledge they're stuck on.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Think I'll come back to this game later. After getting g to the desert area and being wowed by the new view every 5 steps is just alternate goblins and harpies and honestly the trash mobs in this are kinda boring to fight after a while

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Think I'll come back to this game later. After getting g to the desert area and being wowed by the new view every 5 steps is just alternate goblins and harpies and honestly the trash mobs in this are kinda boring to fight after a while

There's a bunch of new poo poo there, like the golems, and if you look around you'll start getting to some of the prestige dungeons with unique stuff.

....but yeah, it's a massive game and a lot of the cool poo poo might have like one guy that vaguely points you near the right direction. Maybe. The rest is basically just filler. Sometimes with really cool stuff in it, but filler.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm level 20 and still doing the main quests Captain Brant gave me. I can't even imagine going to any deserts yet.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

D.Fuzzbot posted:

In the first game you mostly just fought the same goblins and wolves until you got far enough north then like, I though you started seeing hobgoblins and dire wolves and snow harpies. Then, finally, when you beat the game You fought grim goblins, wargs and succubi

Dragon's dogma is really bad about enemy variety.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
It's a bunch of little things and not just the enemy variety. Stuff like performance, crashing randomly in vermund, the frequency of trash mob encounters, controls feeling sluggish for traversal, quests being kinda dull.

I'll just come back to it later, I think I just need to play something else.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
personally i've bounced off the game hard, there's so much that's just a nonsensical step back from the first game. the general combat is slightly better (with warriors having the biggest glowup) with the exception of the camera being poo poo, and graphically it looks a lot better. but everything else around the game is worse.

i cannot begin to describe how disappointing the caster vocations in dd2 are which is what i primarily played.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

AndrewP posted:

the limited fast travel is starting to wear on me

actually it's not even the fast travel, it's the fact that I never have any camping packs and I'm constantly on the edge of over-encumbrance

I have my main pawn carry my camping kit and any materials I happened to pick up. You can still use a camping kit so long as one of the pawns in your party is carrying it. The easiest way to deal with inventory management is to have the pawns in your party carry anything they can't actually use (combinable materials, etc.) unless they have the chiurgeon specialization or whatever and you want them to have healing items onhand. Treat them like pack mules and you'll never be at risk of over-encumbrance. As far as I know this still works like DD1 where another player's pawn will automatically send anything they picked up in your game to your inventory when you dismiss them or they die.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 26, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Quick question for those who understand the game's mechanics better than I do - for bows, would you recommend the Battahl or Dwarven smithing styles? The former gives a somewhat higher damage boost, but the latter really boosts your Knockdown by a lot. That seems really useful, I'm leaning towards Dwarven for this reason.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

AndrewP posted:

if I ever find a pawn that has a "packmule" specialization he's getting hired on the spot, I don't care how much RC it costs me

Found this guy walking around yesterday:

Hawkers are pawns that you can sell your items to, which does actually seem really useful. Maybe keep an eye out for that specialization in the Rift, although there probably aren't many around your level.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How important are mage Augments for a Sorcerer?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nah. Drakes drop a currency you spend to Dragonforge.

Yeah and I think there is only one Dragonforge tier this time around

Game for casuals

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah and I think there is only one Dragonforge tier this time around

Game for casuals

Gotta save something for the DLC. :v:

Man I could go for another BBI type mega-dungeon. That place ruled.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You know what, Forager is less useful than I thought it would be on my pawn. I go over to where there are supposedly Spurious Wings on the map, but all I see is these Gore Harpies instead of Succubi with their baps out. I come back at night, still no luck. Where the gently caress are these Succubi? I still haven't seen a single one. I don't know if it's because my pawn learned it from another Arisen who was in a different stage of the main quest or something, but it makes Forager kind of annoying and unreliable.

I might switch her over to Hawker, there is probably a niche for that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I installed a mod that doubles the HP of every enemy and I gotta say, the combat feels much more satisfying now.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I’ve been selling those books that cast mage/sorceror spells, any other use for them?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

The Lone Badger posted:

How important are mage Augments for a Sorcerer?

The last mage one (Stam regen) is nice for all classes.
The 3rd and 2nd to last might be nice too, depends on what else you got going on.

I currently found the following helpful

+ magic (sorc)
+ stam (archer
+ stam regen (mage)
- Aggro (thief)
Last two I got are sorc ones: exploit weakness and increase chance for effect on hit

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Lakbay posted:

I’ve been selling those books that cast mage/sorceror spells, any other use for them?

Some are used for weapon upgrades, some for quests

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lakbay posted:

I've found at least one quest that was some, so I save one copy in my storage of each one.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Lakbay posted:

i seem to recall one mage weapon i upgraded needing a book, i just save mine

also i'm at a Certain Point and having never seen dullahans, suddenly its Oops! All Dullahans

Phlegmish posted:

You know what, Forager is less useful than I thought it would be on my pawn. I go over to where there are supposedly Spurious Wings on the map, but all I see is these Gore Harpies instead of Succubi with their baps out. I come back at night, still no luck. Where the gently caress are these Succubi? I still haven't seen a single one. I don't know if it's because my pawn learned it from another Arisen who was in a different stage of the main quest or something, but it makes Forager kind of annoying and unreliable.

I might switch her over to Hawker, there is probably a niche for that.

spoiler tag just in case but i found succubi in the mountain path up to a dragon and past a medusa in the ancient forest in the far southwest of battahl across a bridge

Sloober fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 26, 2024

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Do the statues serve any purpose?

Also jfc save rodge from the wolves is the most dragons dogma rear end quest in the worst way lol.

They point you towards locations. Very poorly at times I think. But one of them showed me where a fancy side quest exists in battahl.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lakbay posted:

The important books have a different little icon in the inventory screen. In the corner of their little card in the inventory screen. They went somewhere other than implements, I think.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Any idea what's up with the Ancestral Chamber in the Elf area? There's a corridor which is blocked by a one way door you need to open from the other side, but the other entrance is on a cliff with a kick down ladder that looks like it's actually an exit? Looked around for a fourth entrance but can't see anything.

I've done the quest there and found the third entrance/exit if that matters.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sakurazuka posted:

Any idea what's up with the Ancestral Chamber in the Elf area? There's a corridor which is blocked by a one way door you need to open from the other side, but the other entrance is on a cliff with a kick down ladder that looks like it's actually an exit? Looked around for a fourth entrance but can't see anything.

The only way in that anyone has found is to

Come at night from the Elfland side. Skeletons will break it open from the inside trying to get to you

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

i managed to fill up my inn storage last night. didn't even know that was possible -- guess i should start selling stuff!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Can you give those spell books to pawns? Quest spoilers I guess: I didn't realize there were two grimoire quests and gave half of them away to the girl before getting access to forgaries.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

pmchem posted:

i managed to fill up my inn storage last night. didn't even know that was possible -- guess i should start selling stuff!

Pretty sure it's per item, so you can't have more than 100 Goblin Horns (I suspect that this is how many people find out), but it doesn't affect anything else.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

pmchem posted:

Picturing an inn room just completely chock-full of decaying monster parts, obsolete equipment, herbs and interesting rocks. You have to turn sideways to sidle to the bed. Like a heavily-armed episode of Hoarders.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Pretty sure it's per item, so you can't have more than 100 Goblin Horns (I suspect that this is how many people find out), but it doesn't affect anything else.

it affects something huge in that if you try to store a single item that's at 99 already, it cancels the entire bulk storage you're doing instead of just not depositing the one thing thats full

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I just got the tutorial about wakestones and morgues when I was waling around vermund peacefully and no combat was happening. But it made me feel like I just got someone killed somehow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Oblivious posted:

The only way in that anyone has found is to

Come at night from the Elfland side. Skeletons will break it open from the inside trying to get to you

Lmao this game

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'd like to play the archer more but what's putting me off is that you have to buy the special arrows. It kinda creates a feeling of "do I really need to use this outside of boss battle" and if I don't, then I have two skills to use in regular combat (currently dire shot and upgraded barrage). Maybe that's it. I also can't seem to pull off the special jump backflip attack, my guy just does a high kick like in Mortal Kombat instead of the backflip if I press Y/Triangle.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

If you go up to that door at night, some skeletons may spawn on the other side and break the door down for you if you give them the chance. It's what worked for me. I have no idea what the "correct" way to get in there is but going through it opens up a shortcut between the forest and the Melve area.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Why does the early griffin get the worm, exactly? Griffins eat oxen-sized prey, how huge are these worms??

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I'd like to play the archer more but what's putting me off is that you have to buy the special arrows. It kinda creates a feeling of "do I really need to use this outside of boss battle" and if I don't, then I have two skills to use in regular combat (currently dire shot and upgraded barrage). Maybe that's it. I also can't seem to pull off the special jump backflip attack, my guy just does a high kick like in Mortal Kombat instead of the backflip if I press Y/Triangle.

this is going to sound very stupid and condescending (im not trying to be) but are you actually jumping when you do the kick because you have to use kick while jumping for it

you can also craft the special arrows with sticks and certain other items like sunblooms or whatever. just go into combine/experiment with sticks and see if you're carrying any of the right stuff

Sloober fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 26, 2024

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TeaJay posted:

I've been able to craft all the arrows I need and more just by picking up flowers and branches (and turning rotted food into lantern oil). You'll only run out if you go really nuts with specialty shots.

The kick flip shot is cool as heck when it works, but the over the shoulder camera angle can sometimes make it hard to judge your distance to the target. If you don't actually hit them with the running jump kick, you can't back flip off them after all. And it does have to be a running jump kick, not just the thrust kick you do from pressing triangle by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I think once you switch to archer and equip a special arrow skill you start to find those types of arrows as loot more often. At least it seemed like that for me.

Also the backflip kick is pretty good, but the sliding shot is also particularly gross (attack while sprinting).