Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Jack Trades posted:

Also, with the new difficulty mod I'm using I actually had to use my healing consumables for the first time, which made me realize that they actually DID nerf healing potion spam from the first game by virtue of making you lose Max HP on every hit.
You can still effortlessly avoid death as many times as you have potions, but that's still much better than how it worked in DD1.

You must be a god gamer, there’s no telling how many solubrius droughts I’ve tanked or forbidden fruit rolls I’ve eaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tabletops posted:

You must be a god gamer, there’s no telling how many solubrius droughts I’ve tanked or forbidden fruit rolls I’ve eaten

Nah, I just played cautiously and always had a Mage in my party.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
one of the better augments is the one that lets you take less max health chip damage. i cant remember if it was fighter or warrior

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i am just getting started with this game and having a lot of fun. just got to the capital and got a bit of decent armor etc. now wandering off to explore and do the quest to open up some more vocations. i love how much more alive the world feels than most open world games

im wondering tho is it just me or is it a lot harder to climb up onto larger enemies in this game? i cant quite figure out the technique, whereas in in the first game it was pretty easy to just grab a leg or whatever and climb up

also seems like there are some larger enemies that are "easy" in the sense that you can just constantly beat them down and they don't fight back much but at the same time "high level" because they have massive health bars and take loving forever to kill? i hope those are rare..

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I'm never loving hiring a Mage Pawn with Frigor or Succor ever again.
I hired one that has both and she spends every combat encounter either obscuring my vision or doing loving nothing because she's trying to channel Succor and getting interrupted.

The sorcerer version of ice spell however is incredible, just freezes bosses entirely for the fight

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I saw an excellent written review of the game posted on Twitter today. The writer actually has nuance and good observations on player vs developer oriented world design.

https://cohost.org/dreamcastaway/post/5275166-abandon-all-delusion

Thanks for sharing this.

You've quoted some of this, but to pull out the one sentence here:

quote:

Dragon's Dogma 2 has come into prominence during a time where imaginative interpretation of mechanics is at an all time low and calls for "consumer" gratification are taken as truisms.

That's where the industry was IMO when Demons' Souls came out I thought. I bought a PS3 just to play it because it was so different about insisting on its terms being what you engaged with, instead of all the sign posted, no consequences games out at the time. I thought things changed a lot after it and Dark Souls came out.

I don't think DD2 is a hard game - you level so quickly that you can stay pretty safe. But that article rings true in that it really commits to its world and its rules and that's so refreshing when convenience and "respect my time, game" features can take away so much as well.

My most memorable sequence in the game was deciding to walk down to the capital instead of take the proffered cart ride, then swapping a pawn mid way and apparently losing my camp gear in that swap. Getting stuck early in the beginning of a very long sequence without a way to skip night really colored all that followed and made the trip extremely memorable in an organic, emergent way that no level of dev design would have - the tensions and resolutions were mine alone.

I used my only wakestone at one point of that journey because I was damned if I'd restart that sequence. And I was risk averse from that point though I still wanted to explore. Fun times.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 27, 2024

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

How often does a cart pass through the gate at checkpoint rest?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does Detection work for the Sphinx special token you have to find in 7 days?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm disappointed they remade Dragon's Dogma 1 and added a new region but removed content and called it Dragon's Dogma 2

I'm still gonna play it because Dragon's Dogma 1 was a good game

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

jokes posted:

I'm disappointed they remade Dragon's Dogma 1 and added a new region but removed content and called it Dragon's Dogma 2

I'm still gonna play it because Dragon's Dogma 1 was a good game

What was in the base game of dd1 thats missing here? Were there more vocations? I never got that very far in the first game

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Please tell me if you have fought a Warg and where you found it, because I'm having no luck.

I can't even set up a pawn quest asking for a Pointed Fang because I've never seen one in my life

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Please tell me if you have fought a Warg and where you found it, because I'm having no luck.

I can't even set up a pawn quest asking for a Pointed Fang because I've never seen one in my life

i cant remember where i fought them but FWIW pointed fangs and poo poo can be scavenged in bone piles you find in caves, which is where you also find wargs more often, i think its in like south battahl area most often

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
I'm level 32 and just reached Bakbattahl. A few questions for my fellow goons who have been playing a bit:

- What has your combat felt like? From the start, Drakes have been the only thing that have offered any challenge, and switching to Mystic Spearhand trivializes them. For reference, I've maxed out Sorcerer, have Archer pretty high, and now I'm working on MS.

- Have you enhanced gear? Since combat hasn't been a challenge, I haven't found a need to enhance any items. I'm wondering if that's going to change.

- Do yall feel that exploring (finding dungeons, ruins, etc) is worthwhile? Chests don't seem to ever have anything exciting or useful in them, and since upgrading gear doesn't feel necessary I don't really care for the materials.

- Have you used the crafting system for anything beyond lantern oil/making arrows? I just dump everything in my storage, or combine them and sell the curatives for gold. I'm close to 160k and don't really have anything to spend it on.

I like the game, obviously, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something by not interacting with some of the systems. It just feels a bit simple? Or maybe lacking in depth? That's not necessarily a bad thing, just not what I expected. I didn't play DD1, and I was kind of expecting this game to be a more than what it is, given all the hype around it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

On top of that your Q's - can I add: Is there more loot and special stuff? I hate that the stuff ive gotten is all vendor and then i find it in a cave and its the same poo poo. How much unique armor is in this?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I get annoyed when I get pawns that don't have any enchantments on their gear, like what are you even doing with all that gold and upgrade materials if not at least throwing a few upgrades on everything. Those robes you found at level 10 can do with some standard Vermundian upgrades you don't have to wait to unlock Dwarven forging dammit

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

v1ld posted:

Thanks for sharing this.

You've quoted some of this, but to pull out the one sentence here:

That's where the industry was IMO when Demons' Souls came out I thought. I bought a PS3 just to play it because it was so different about insisting on its terms being what you engaged with, instead of all the sign posted, no consequences games out at the time. I thought things changed a lot after it and Dark Souls came out.

I don't think DD2 is a hard game - you level so quickly that you can stay pretty safe. But that article rings true in that it really commits to its world and its rules and that's so refreshing when convenience and "respect my time, game" features can take away so much as well.

My most memorable sequence in the game was deciding to walk down to the capital instead of take the proffered cart ride, then swapping a pawn mid way and apparently losing my camp gear in that swap. Getting stuck early in the beginning of a very long sequence without a way to skip night really colored all that followed and made the trip extremely memorable in an organic, emergent way that no level of dev design would have - the tensions and resolutions were mine alone.

I used my only wakestone at one point of that journey because I was damned if I'd restart that sequence. And I was risk averse from that point though I still wanted to explore. Fun times.

Even in this thread people have argued that the devs have an "obligation" to make the game more "fun" (for them specifically), which is kind of a weird way to frame criticism and speaks to the "consumer gratification" part of the post you quoted. It's not enough to criticize a game and decide it's not for you, the dev must be personally excoriated for dating to make something that you wanted to like but didn't.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sloober posted:

i cant remember where i fought them but FWIW pointed fangs and poo poo can be scavenged in bone piles you find in caves, which is where you also find wargs more often, i think its in like south battahl area most often

I keep finding these garbage-rear end Garms instead, I think it might be related to main quest progression

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Vargs posted:

Warfarer may have an incredibly stupid name but it's pretty cool. The game is already too easy so I don't care that it lowers my stats slightly, and it lets me wear whatever I want.

Playing a bootleg Strider right now with 3 Thief skills (Cutting Wind, Implicate, and Powder Charge) + Rearmament to let me shoot things with basic bow attacks which is still pretty nice even without any abilities, and is definitely more fun than just taking another skill from Thief. I guess I could shove an archstaff in there too for magic damage/levitation/galvanize but I'd rather keep the weapon swapping simple and easy for now.

Grown attached to my pawn buddy over the course of this game. As much as I miss the inane chatter of 3 idiots all saying the same 5 lines forever, I like that pawns have more distinct personalities this time around. Urgan here may be a bigass shirtless orc with a deep, booming voice, but he's a real chill and considerate dude. Orc and gobbo team gets a thumbs up from me.

You can put a fourth skill in instead of rearmament, all that does is automatically swap weapons for you. Just do it manually and get another skill slot

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any vocation that gets a holy damage skill, or is the healing sphere for Mage the closest we get?

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

Phlegmish posted:

I just summoned and sent Fiona home with one. I don't remember where I saw them but I had an extra in my storage.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

Is there any vocation that gets a holy damage skill, or is the healing sphere for Mage the closest we get?

Empyrean is a holy damage spell for mages. I think that's what it's called. It summons a big ball of light that covers an area with damage. It was bad against goblins but presumably it's good vs unholy stuff.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama

Broken Cog posted:

Mages get an offensive holy spell-- an AoE orb. Fighting undead without it is a pain.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SHISHKABOB posted:

Empyrean is a holy damage spell for mages. I think that's what it's called. It summons a big ball of light that covers an area with damage. It was bad against goblins but presumably it's good vs unholy stuff.

Gotta check that out, cheers!
Shame it's for mage, although I can probably toss it on Warfarer or something

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Dragon's Dogma 2: Arisen, would you still love me if i was a wyrm?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rynyin posted:

I just summoned and sent Fiona home with one. I don't remember where I saw them but I had an extra in my storage.

I love this sort of thing with pawns. Just a “here you go dearie, run on home with that, your Arisen needs it”. :3:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jack Trades posted:

I just got to Bakbutthal for the first time and the very first thing I did was ditch Mystic Spearhand as fast as I possibly could, because holy poo poo was that vocation annoying to play.
I switched to a level 1 Trickster, because I just unlocked it and went to the inn to sleep.

People who've been to Bakbatthal can guess what happened next.

Is it something that always happens the first time you sleep at an inn in the capital? I wandered past the woman who sells you a house and bought it straight away because the inn was like 10k gold or something absurd like that. I haven't slept at an inn there yet since I have the house already.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

It will briefly stun a large group of goblins at the same time as illuminating the pitch black cave you're in, giving you enough time to cast another spell.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Is it something that always happens the first time you sleep at an inn in the capital? I wandered past the woman who sells you a house and bought it straight away because the inn was like 10k gold or something absurd like that. I haven't slept at an inn there yet since I have the house already.

There's a quest that happens when you walk past the tavern that's next to the inn.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rynyin posted:

Thanks a bunch, saves me a lot of trouble. Holler if you ever need anything.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

There's another inn that has a more reasonable price, closer to the vocation guild.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jack Trades posted:

There's a quest that happens when you walk past the tavern that's next to the inn.

Oh I think I know the one you mean lol. I got that another time just wandering around.

I love how all the weird emergent poo poo in this game can totally alter your plans. I was taking an ox cart to the border town so I could take a second cart to the Vermund capital to finish a side quest. But a raid destroyed the ox cart midway through Battahl so I ended up detouring for a nearby main quest objective. Then when I set out for the border town we fought a Gryphon and I rode it for a while which detoured me yet further. Found a bunch of new caves and then went back to Harve for the main quest I'd unintentionally progressed, which also triggered a new side quest in the same area so I did them one after the other.

I ended up spending hours doing fun unplanned stuff all because I wanted to save a ferrystone and use an ox cart instead.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 27, 2024

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
What is up with this Hugo kid? I was so sure the game was setting up a sadistic choice or his tragic death when I attacked the bandit camp and was joined by some friendly guards yelling, "Give them no quarter!" but no the kid gets arrested without trouble, but then when I go visit him in jail he's all, "That bandit leader's a hero, he was putting on an act to fool you, I'd never doubt him!"

My man, he literally ground his foot on your fingers to make you fall off a cliff.

My only option seems to be to bribe the jailer to let him out, but I think it's just safest for everyone if I leave him in jail.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I want to like warrior more than I do like warrior. I’m no good when games want me to charge and hold attacks.

I’m too much of a button masher.

I'm still super early on as I haven't had too much time to play. I have Fighter to Rank 4 and Warrior to Rank 4. I'm starting to think these aren't for me though. I like big weapons. But the slowness is killing me. I swing an attack and OOPS! Enemy has moved! I don't want to have to stand and wait and charge up and hope they come to me. So either I'm playing it wrong or it just doesn't vibe with me.

Perhaps I should try thief? Any thief enjoyers here?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Thief is hands down the most broken (as in, overpowered) vocation.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Shyrka posted:

What is up with this Hugo kid? I was so sure the game was setting up a sadistic choice or his tragic death when I attacked the bandit camp and was joined by some friendly guards yelling, "Give them no quarter!" but no the kid gets arrested without trouble, but then when I go visit him in jail he's all, "That bandit leader's a hero, he was putting on an act to fool you, I'd never doubt him!"

My man, he literally ground his foot on your fingers to make you fall off a cliff.

My only option seems to be to bribe the jailer to let him out, but I think it's just safest for everyone if I leave him in jail.

quest spoiler bribe the guy 2x, you have to wait a day or two for the second one where hes like 'ah well these things take time', then they catch a guy you also talk to a couple times who spills it on the bandit leader location, then you go kill him, then you have to 'advise hugo on his life path' which i never figured out how, since i didnt he ends up getting in some fight and dying in battahl. you can convince hugo to live an honest life but you have to literally find him a job somehow in order to do so. i'm not a temp agency so i didn't spend time trying to figure out where he could work

Mordiceius posted:

I want to like warrior more than I do like warrior. I’m no good when games want me to charge and hold attacks.

I’m too much of a button masher.

I'm still super early on as I haven't had too much time to play. I have Fighter to Rank 4 and Warrior to Rank 4. I'm starting to think these aren't for me though. I like big weapons. But the slowness is killing me. I swing an attack and OOPS! Enemy has moved! I don't want to have to stand and wait and charge up and hope they come to me. So either I'm playing it wrong or it just doesn't vibe with me.

one big thing is you dont need charge attacks on trash. warrior attacks are strong, just bump them (r1) and earthshatter or whatever the Y attack is called, if they're fast movers mighty sweep can usually catch them since its like a 180 arc. the charge attacks are most useful on big monsters when you get more openings like when they're knocked down or focusing on someone else

Sloober fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 27, 2024

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks a bunch, saves me a lot of trouble. Holler if you ever need anything.
yo duder if you set that to a pawn quest for a cheap item (waking powder or whatever) i'll make a bunch of 'em and send ya back a few

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordiceius posted:

Thief is unbelievable. Go with Thief, gouge out eyes, get poo poo done.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Thief is insane and I think the only reason I don't see as many thief pawns in the rift is because the players are all playing thief

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Dragon's Dogma 2: Arisen, would you still love me if i was a wyrm?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Does Detection work for the Sphinx special token you have to find in 7 days?
yup