Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the funniest thing about unlocking classes is that I went out of my way not to unlock some classes

that were just later unlocked for free in the post game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Early game quest question, unsure if bug:

The quest where you go to the mine to get back the greatsword and the staff so you can learn the vocations. I only found the greatsword. Is the staff supposed to be in there? Or is it somewhere else?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

External Organs posted:

The quest where you go to the mine to get back the greatsword and the staff so you can learn the vocations. I only found the greatsword. Is the staff supposed to be in there? Or is it somewhere else?

Different part of the same mine - just down the opposite path, essentially, than the one you took to get the sword. Keep exploring (or hire a pawn with knowledge).

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

External Organs posted:

They're both in there

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

External Organs posted:

You can find both items in the same cave. Look around some more.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Tis my own sense of directione!

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Third World Reagan posted:

the funniest thing about unlocking classes is that I went out of my way not to unlock some classes

that were just later unlocked for free in the post game

The lack of fanfare on unlocking classes is really funny to me. Like when I unlocked Mystic Spearhand, Sigurd just kind of mumbled something about me being another Arisen and to keep my distance from him, then it just unlocked like that. The maisters seem really quick to give up their master techniques as well, easily impressed they are.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Captain Oblivious posted:

Right before the end. They really should have had Magick Archer unlock in Sacred Arbor not there.

Oh weird. I did a few story missions yesterday, but the next one is some variety of "deliver this important item." I'm just gonna leave it and do the 10 or so side quests I've got open and maybe kill some drakes I marked on the map now that I have the Magick Archer master skill.

My Crab is Fight posted:

The maisters seem really quick to give up their master techniques as well, easily impressed they are.

Yeah it's strange. I got the Magick Archer vocation and its master skill in the same interaction, but at least I had to do a quest for that one. Love that vocation's gear btw. Got the best set I could afford and decked everything out in Elven smithing. It's a good vibe.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 28, 2024

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
I can't put my finger on it but every NPC feels like a soulless pawn with they bizarre way in how the dialogue is handled. It's like they skip every small talk aspect of a conversation and head straight into the quest or whatever information the player should get from it. Can't say I dislike it though because it adds to the other bonkers stuff in this world. And speaking of the world, this is probably the best realized one I've seen so far in a game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Imaginary Friend posted:

There's two houses to get in the first city I think. A random NPC in the fancy neighbourhood asks if you want to buy one as well. Didn't get that one because it was quite expensive iirc.

It's 200k and it's slightly further away from the merchant district than the 20k one, so I'm not sure why anyone would buy it. Does it come with anything special or something

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Capcom's game survey:

https://www.enqform.capcom.com/form/pub/form1/dd2_en2

I filled in the survey asking for better performance, more difficulty, dungeons, and Wilhelmina. :(

i went for difficulty, scaling, better NG+ and DLC like bitterblack isle

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I asked them to give us free content on the survey

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, I would encourage everyone here to fill in the survey, goons generally have sensible opinions.

The negatives for me are obviously microtransactions + optimization (although I did say the outrage was way exaggerated), the lack of a hide helmet feature and customization options for equipment, the clunkiness of navigating menus with keyboard and mouse, some quests being buggy, etc.

For DLC I would like something similar to Bitterblack Isle with more challenging enemies, but maybe better-integrated into the main story, more Dragonforging tiers to go along with that, and the aforementioned additional customization options (hinting that they would get brownie points for releasing the latter as a free update to the base game).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

Which of the Sorceror Meister spells is better (or which situations are each better in)? Currently I'm using Maelstrom, which seems pretty good, but I'm curious to try the other.

Some quest stuff in this game is pretty unintuitive. I had looked up how to get the other Sorceror Meister spell + the Mage Meister spell, and you have to go to this house in the middle of nowhere that there's a good chance you already visited (and there's also a good chance the quest doesn't even trigger, since you need both grandparents physically out of the house). And you need to have made copies of the grimoires to get both spells. How would you know that normally?

Unrelated question - what's up with some Drake talking with me telepathically or something when I was in Havre Village. Surprised me and never figured out why it happened. There was a Drake nearby when I first arrived, so maybe it was him?

If you want you can still get Magic Archer earlier, though, right? I'm thinking of trying to do it while I'm (vaguely) in the area, since it's the vocation I was most interested in from the beginning.

As far as i can tell, the descriptions are accurate. Meteoron is good in wide open spaces, it needs to be able to launch the meteors into the air and have them shoot down. I had it fail in a cavern once that had a pretty high roof. It does a shitload of damage if all the meteors hit, but I can't tell if they track. It does NOT do a shitload to drakes, which presumably makes sense if they are resistant to fire.

I have used maelstrom a lot less, but I think it must do physical type damage based on the color of the skill. I used it on a cyclops once and wasn't impressed, but maybe I should try it a bit more on drakes.

To me, it made sense that the snobby rear end in a top hat would accept forgeries, but the kid who wanted to learn magic would need the real deal.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I forgot to add in the survey

pawns talk less

pawns stop trying to high five me while a battle is going on

pawns stop trying to hold me hostage in caves preventing me from going forward unless I high five them

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I would hope a Bitterblack Isle-style dungeon is already in the concept stage at least, but I hope they take their time on it. The base game is enough to hold me over for a couple years.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I've killed several griffons by dog piling them before they could escape, but the drakes I've fought always gently caress off after losing a health bar or two and I can't stop them. If I come back later their health has recovered too. You're the one who challenged me, scaley! Stick around and face the consequences!

I was able to activate the dullahan quest and I'm at the bog, but all my pawns are half dead and I'm worried that if I stop to camp the quest timer will run out. Guess I'll just press on and fight the thing, how tough could it be?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thundarr posted:

I've killed several griffons by dog piling them before they could escape, but the drakes I've fought always gently caress off after losing a health bar or two and I can't stop them. If I come back later their health has recovered too. You're the one who challenged me, scaley! Stick around and face the consequences!

Only drake who's ever done that with me was the one northeast of Vernworth. That the one you're trying to fight?

pawns talk less

pawns stop trying to hold me hostage in caves preventing me from going forward unless I high five them

You absolute monster, I'm glad that you forgot to add that

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

Only drake who's ever done that with me was the one northeast of Vernworth. That the one you're trying to fight?

That one did, but so did the one at the ancient battleground.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So I'm in the post-game but one question remains: what the hell is a Royce Dragon?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Rolls Royce of dragons obviously

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Muffinlord posted:

So I'm in the post-game but one question remains: what the hell is a Royce Dragon?

the simplest explanation is the most likely one. the dragon's real name is Royce Dragon

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Sloober posted:

the simplest explanation is the most likely one. the dragon's real name is Royce Dragon

Please, call me Royce. Mister Dragon was my father.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
I love how right after Royce gets squished that guy is like, "I can't believe you've done this"

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

The Muffinlord posted:

it's a weak rear end piece of poo poo dragon, that one of those two guys who were up to no good but you were helping for some reason wanted to summon in lieu of the bad motherfucker dragon. presumably to mind control and then use to gently caress around with the fabric of reality.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This game needs to recompile shaders every time you launch it? I've only launched it once before now, surprised it's doing it again...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sab669 posted:

This game needs to recompile shaders every time you launch it? I've only launched it once before now, surprised it's doing it again...

every time you update your drivers

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Trickster is a funny class. On one hand it's boring as gently caress. On the other, it's unique, powerful, and weirdly compelling.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

pawns talk less

You can break them out of that mode with the To Me command. that feature was something that sounded extremely charming until I found that you can’t initiate it yourself on purpose, it’s yet one more thing that involuntarily takes away your controls, and they can vacuum you into it while enemies are still alive. worst possible implementation of the best idea

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

every time you update your drivers

Ah, yea I did update those between first installing the game last week & just now. OK that's good to know.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The one thing I asked for that I didn't see mentioned here is I'd like a better ability to freely rebind my abilities and maybe even more ability slots. Four feels a little limited. I didn't mention it but I also think perhaps augments should have more impact, but that's something that's probably easily moddable. I like more incentive to level alternate vocations and mix/match the passives, it was something that kept me grinding in the original Dragon's Dogma, sure, the combat itself is generally engaging, but I find that I lose interest in even the most well-designed content if I don't have a goal to work towards.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So what's the deal with quests not giving what they're supposed to? That quest to give the kid the medicine never gave me the reward it was supposed to and one of the quests to give the dude a bunch of books didn't give me one of the rewards it was supposed to either

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Nuebot posted:

So what's the deal with quests not giving what they're supposed to? That quest to give the kid the medicine never gave me the reward it was supposed to and one of the quests to give the dude a bunch of books didn't give me one of the rewards it was supposed to either

Some of the rewards require you to find a specific NPC and have them engage you in dialogue again. Though I never got the logistician tome from the guy outside the church-ish building either, it seems like maybe sometimes the triggers don't fire right.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

There’s something very Dark Souls about the aesthetic of this game. Like literally how the map and environments look

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Magil Zeal posted:

Some of the rewards require you to find a specific NPC and have them engage you in dialogue again. Though I never got the logistician tome from the guy outside the church-ish building either, it seems like maybe sometimes the triggers don't fire right.

He gave it to me like a week later randomly after I'd finished all his quests.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Foul Fowl posted:

it's a weak rear end piece of poo poo dragon, that one of those two guys who were up to no good but you were helping for some reason wanted to summon in lieu of the bad motherfucker dragon. presumably to mind control and then use to gently caress around with the fabric of reality.

I still don’t understand why we were trying to give either of them the super godsway sword, our only goals were to 1. Figure out how they were making godsways, and 2. Figure out how to neutralize the one that paid actor arisen had

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
My biggest complaint with this game so far is the pawn chatter. I really miss all the enemy-related chatter from the first one. It was much more engaging to me than the more idle chitchat they've thrown in this time around. The comments about the nature of the party get old fast, where "Wolves hunt in packs" never got old, and actually had utility in that your pawns would let you know what engaged you pretty much as soon as it did. Arguably more importantly for players new to the series, the pawns constantly gave you information on tactics, and this time around they kinda just... don't.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

After the "Ladies Night" leak didn't result in anything, I'm not holding my breath for this one, but it would be nice.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i don't mind the subject matter but they all just talk way too much. they are also far too similar to one another, personality-wise. i felt like the last game had a bit more diversity in their tones of voice and attitudes but maybe thats rose tinted glasses

they also just need, in general, to chill out. i walk into a town and these people hanging out with me start running all over the place stealing poo poo immediately. its a bit embarassing. i know the game doesn't have a proper stealth/theft mechanic but at least be a little subtle about it jeez. also the constant high fives, just dial it down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Earwicker posted:

i don't mind the subject matter but they all just talk way too much. they are also far too similar to one another, personality-wise. i felt like the last game had a bit more diversity in their tones of voice and attitudes but maybe thats rose tinted glasses

they also just need, in general, to chill out. i walk into a town and these people hanging out with me start running all over the place stealing poo poo immediately. its a bit embarassing. i know the game doesn't have a proper stealth/theft mechanic but at least be a little subtle about it jeez. also the constant high fives, just dial it down a bit.

wow, bad takes.