Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Basically 100% of chat-based support lines now, and everyone's abruptly shutting down their phone ones or announcing 4+ hour hold times purely coincidentally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I've come to the conclusion that, respecfully, nobody on the forums knows anything about AI

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I recently sat across from a director in my firm's ""''ai working group"'" failing to explain what AI was and whether we use it, to someone preparing a client pitch.

I so hope it made it onto the powerpoint and got eviscerated in Q&A lol

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Uhh we use it to conduct in depth analysis

of datasets

extensively

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
so this poo poo was just a bubble and I already missed out on another short stock scheme. great

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Negostrike posted:

i will destroy the ai

any updates on this?

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

flubber nuts posted:

any updates on this?

The ai has been destroyed. Can confirm, i was there

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pontificating rear end posted:

I've come to the conclusion that, respecfully, nobody on the forums knows anything about AI

I suppose you're here to enlighten us then?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

I recently sat across from a director in my firm's ""''ai working group"'" failing to explain what AI was and whether we use it, to someone preparing a client pitch.

I so hope it made it onto the powerpoint and got eviscerated in Q&A lol

This describes most “AI working groups” in corporate America lol

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

ChatGPT called me a slur

yigh
Jan 3, 2021
GenAI will probably succeed (in the coming years) in many cost cutting directions (e.g. call centers, FAQs). Although the recent issues with NYC's municipal LLM was a pretty good example of where humans still shine.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Smugworth posted:

ChatGPT called me a slur

To stop the world from being destroyed?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You can't really define agi until you can rigorously pin down human consciousness, but always remember that what we have now is a dressed up autocomplete bot, nothing more

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

AI POETRY SLAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ6xor2SLNU

It's a 53 minute video which diligently reviews several published collections of AI poetry. Spoiler: the poems are bad

The first book "I Am Code" actually has an interesting hook where the authors write about their reasoning and how they went about their experiment and they actually interview several established poets and the videographer admits that although most of the poems are bad a handful are good-ish. Of course the authors did make the LLM churn out more than ten thousand poems and then selected less than 100 for the collection so there was human bias at work in putting the collection together to start with and the good-ish poems are pretty much just the cream skimmed from a slightly more advanced "one million monkeys on typewriters" simulation

Marcel Duchamp's artistic discovery was that "Art" is whatever is put in a museum.

A computer can put out a billion songs, and the real artists is the guy who either re-listens to a song, or tells their friend to check out a song.

When a person strums a song on their guitar to an audience, they are saying "this stuff I am choosing to play to you is important." They are making a choice inside the conversation of all music, no matter how limited their understanding of that conversation is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

NYC AI Chatbot Touted by Adams Tells Businesses to Break the Law

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Micro$hit strikes again

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

That was a neat article. The chatbot they have is extremely terse and doesn't expound on anything. What's funny is that I asked GPT4 those questions and it got them all correct.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Holy poo poo, remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc

Amazing machine vision and AI technology so you could just pick things up in an Amazon store and walk out with it automatically ringing them all up and charging you for them?

Gizmodo posted:

Amazon is phasing out its checkout-less grocery stores with “Just Walk Out” technology, first reported by The Information Tuesday. The company’s senior vice president of grocery stores says they’re moving away from Just Walk Out, which relied on cameras and sensors to track what people were leaving the store with.

Just over half of Amazon Fresh stores are equipped with Just Walk Out. The technology allows customers to skip checkout altogether by scanning a QR code when they enter the store. Though it seemed completely automated, Just Walk Out relied on more than 1,000 people in India watching and labeling videos to ensure accurate checkouts. The cashiers were simply moved off-site, and they watched you as you shopped.

It was just a bunch of people in India watching you via security cameras :lol:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
lol, modern day mechanical turk

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

lol, modern day mechanical turk

https://www.mturk.com/

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

You know, I remember seeing that and being quite impressed. I had done some machine vision work at the time and couldn't figure out how they'd track the items and match them to the customer, particularly across multiple cameras.

Well my questions have been answered I guess.

Nov 6, 2002

I wonder how many workers this required per store and if it was actually cheaper than just regular staffing.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Tarkus posted:

You know, I remember seeing that and being quite impressed. I had done some machine vision work at the time and couldn't figure out how they'd track the items and match them to the customer, particularly across multiple cameras.

Well my questions have been answered I guess.

I just thought that all the items would have RFID tags and could broadcast the items code as it pass through a scanner of some kind as you left the store.

Turns out it was the Theranos version of automatic checkout all along.

Nov 6, 2002

Gonna revive my favorite dead subforms.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

lol that is depressing

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

AI generated video content feed engaging with AI generated comments

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Gonna revive my favorite dead subforms.

If we do not have at least five gimmick posters who are AI chatbots with threads piped into them and set to write a new reply periodically, I would be disappointed in goons.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

If we do not have at least five gimmick posters who are AI chatbots with threads piped into them and set to write a new reply periodically, I would be disappointed in goons.

Welcome to gbs

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Pajser posted:

so this poo poo was just a bubble and I already missed out on another short stock scheme. great

you didnt miss the short part

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

a dressed up autocomplete bot, nothing more

I believe I have rigorously pinned down human consciousness.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

From Ars Technica

AI... good?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Internet Old One posted:

I'm really failing to think out of the box here.
I'm more concerned about what will happen when people start training AI on the perfect series of color, shapes, and sounds to keep a hyperactive toddler entertained and quiet for hours.

Wasn't that the big threat in Infinite Jest? A video that's so pleasant all the viewer wants to do is watch it until they die of starvation? Someone get working on that.

Internet Old One posted:

Let me try harder: The philosophical concept of free will X the color blue as a series of erotic haikus recited by Blippy. We gotta wait until a generation of people raised on 5 hour AI generated Youtube videos comes of age. If we think "Totally Spies" did a number on our generation we haven't seen nothin yet.

... I don't want to look this up.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Smugworth posted:

ChatGPT called me a slur

depending on the slur i don't disagree

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Failson posted:

... I don't want to look this up.
I've seen one episode of Totally Spies in my life, and it involved the villain transforming one of the heroines into a humanoid dolphin or something. My take on it was "this is 100% some producer's fetish, right?"

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Why is it assumed general ai will be smart? Why won't it be a drooling simpleton that can just do things like we can?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Failson posted:

Wasn't that the big threat in Infinite Jest? A video that's so pleasant all the viewer wants to do is watch it until they die of starvation? Someone get working on that.
The pleasant video itself is also heavily implied to be a visual simulation of what it's like to be a toddler being mothered so there's some layers there.

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008

huh posted:

Why is it assumed general ai will be smart? Why won't it be a drooling simpleton that can just do things like we can?

Because once we know how to make it smart enough to be a drooling simpleton, there's no reason we can't just keep making it smarter. Or maybe we teach it to make itself smarter.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Actually it's because computers can spend all the time otherwise spent thinking about cheese burgers and jerking off on learning important things and reasoning. Show me a drooling simpleton relieved of the burden of cheese burgers and cum and I'll show you the next Elon Musk.

Serious answer. Hopeful nerds are curve fitting some of the popular analyses of information theories which extrapolate the printing press through digital computing up to a singularity and AGI is being put on the vertical part of the curve because it is surely coming next because information handling and cognition is just an engineering problem like distributing literary works and making computers run your business.

naem
May 29, 2011

I’m just going to marry a rich algorithm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

huh posted:

it may suck at debate but it'll beat you at mathletes