Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Finished up the Story, that was good. Somehow they made Aventurine from someone I disliked to a character I could see myself actually rooting for.

Still not gonna roll for him though.

coolusername posted:

Decided to take a break from the main story and casually chip away at some small silly sidequest I hadn’t got to for a breather.

I picked the fashion store lady Cocona quest for a lighthearted romp :)

I saved her playing blind, but was genuinely surprised when I looked up the alternate ending after that and learnt they really do kill her off and put a different shop NPC in. When I accidentally blew the android up on Herta after a bit Sheila v.2 was back for dailies, without anything changing, so I didn’t expect this time to be a real choice.

That had multiple endings? I stopped looking for those after Sheila as well.

I assume she dies if you are not very very insistent about taking her hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Clarste posted:

The 2nd buff works well with Acheron because it charges her meter whenever the enemy acts, just like the Trends LC on a tank. Doesn't stack though since they happen on the same enemy action. The other two buffs kinda suck in general so I'm not sure what to do with them.

Ult advance you just make sure to hold Ult after you move or as soon as you get it outside of a turn. Action advance is basically best used when your characters are as far away as possible from having their turn again because the % reduction is more valuable when they're 75 Units away instead of 4 Units or whatever they're called.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

seems there's a lot a bunch of allegory sidequests to do i see. are the stories for them as good as the previous set?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

This might be the first Pure Fiction I can't get 12 stars. There's still plenty of time, but I'm not sure what's going to change. My Jing Yuan and LL don't line up to be enough points, my DoT team doesn't have enough burst, and I'm a bit at a loss. I'm averaging 30k on the first half and 20k on the second. Feels rough.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I do have a question actually, what's more valuable for Acheron: cons or her LC?

note: I have a S4 GNSW

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Does e2 Acheron have enough debuffs for her ult with just one nihility and sparkle?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Meowywitch posted:

I do have a question actually, what's more valuable for Acheron: cons or her LC?

note: I have a S4 GNSW

What are cons?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

LC for Acheron is way way better than going for her cons. If you want to splurge on her, e0 -> LC -> e2.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

qbert posted:

What are cons?

Constellations i.e. Genshin's equivalent term for dupes

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

mycot posted:

Eids sounds so much weirder than cons for shortening. Eidolon is a great word but it can't really be shortened.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Cons as a shortening of constellation sounds equally weird to me.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

mycot posted:

Oh! It makes sense now why sometimes people write "C2" when they clearly mean "E2" in regards to eidolons.

I've never played Genshin and have no desire to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Cons as a shortening of constellation sounds equally weird to me.
it makes sense as pulling for dupes is a con

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eimi posted:

LC for Acheron is way way better than going for her cons. If you want to splurge on her, e0 -> LC -> e2.

This is basically true for just about every limited dps.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
Look, Eidolon or Constellation both work for me; anything that avoids the generic term I’ve heard going around - ‘spooks’.

Hmmmmmmm.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

PatentPending posted:

Look, Eidolon or Constellation both work for me; anything that avoids the generic term I’ve heard going around - ‘spooks’.

Hmmmmmmm.

getting spooked is when you get a 5* (or w/e) that's not the featured character. the bad bit is that you got a rare thing but not the rare thing you wanted

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

PatentPending posted:

Hmmmmmmm.

That term is mostly used in the south.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The idea behind "spooked" is that you were jumpscared by a pull you didn't expect while aiming for the banner character. So you might get spooked by Yanqing, but never by Acheron. Because of how banners work.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

Chocobo posted:

That term is mostly used in the south.

Ah, not a nation-wide thing? I spent time in the South when I first moved the US so that’d explain it. Still feels bad to see!

Thanks for the clarifications, I can see that a term for losing the coin flip is useful.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Does e2 Acheron have enough debuffs for her ult with just one nihility and sparkle?

More than enough to function and wreck, but more debuffs is more ults and more wreckage.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

people can also specifically mean getting a wrong pull in a way that could've fooled you up until seeing the actual character. i.e. if you roll yanqing going for Acheron you'd see the hunt icon and (maybe) recognize it's not gonna be her, while it you rolled welt you'd see 5*, then the Nihility icon, then only realize you "missed" upon seeing him.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

PatentPending posted:

Ah, not a nation-wide thing? I spent time in the South when I first moved the US so that’d explain it. Still feels bad to see!

Thanks for the clarifications, I can see that a term for losing the coin flip is useful.

It means secret agents pretty much everywhere Commonwealth-adjacent. So MI-5, CIA, James Bonds, all those guys get called it in the news, there’s tv series, etc. Legit never heard of the American variation existing until it came up on SA.

The Yanqing jumpscare is real and it is extra terrible on any hunt banner :melter: the false hope.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

I did in fact lose Acheron’s coin flip to Welt.

I’m not too annoyed about it, I like Welt so getting him to e3 isn’t terrible. I remain blessedly Yangqingless, for now.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I find that when a game is new to me, if I don’t use the term it’s easiest to just say “dupes” (or if a specific rank then a1, a2 etc) because it doesn’t assume people know other game terminology. Every gacha player knows you need duplicates for ascensions, eidolons, constellations, S/SS/SSS etc. and when I want help (not really talking about here since people are cool) I don’t want to self isolate by implicating I’m from a game others might have bias against.

Though I’m probably thinking too much about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the term started with fate/grand order, where the gacha jumpscares you more with the pacing. like the standard pool is much bigger and even 4*s get the big dramatic gold card turning around, and the game makes sure you know what class you're getting, so if you were rolling for artoria herself and got a gold saber card, it could be her or siegfreid (fgo yanqing if he was a 4*), and itd make you watch the gold card appearing and turning around. hence, spook. its def. not a racism thing and thats a pretty obscure slur (especially these days)

not to mention that at the time fgo came out the spooky scary skeletons song meme was big

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The retained/alternating pity system makes getting "spooked" at lot less crushing than it is in some other gachas. It still doesn't feel good to lose but at least you can cope by thinking you're closer to what you actually want. In a game with a spark system (or, god forbid, a resetting pity rate) every single SSR who isn't the desired character is a little soul killing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Yes because Sparkle/Bronya are giving their turns to Acheron who is making 2 stacks every time she acts versus a Nihility who can only make 1 stack per action.

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

Endorph posted:

i mean this cycle is specifically designed to, complement acheron. later cycles will complement whatever other character is on rateup. they arent going to be acheron-focused forever.

Well, we just had a half-year stretch where almost all the MoC content favored Jingliu in some way, so going off that I imagine we're going to have at least half year of endgame content starting now that will favor Acheron, even if the buff for each doesn't directly obviously benefit her.

The soda dogs, for example, are designed to splash debuffs for her.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

librarerun posted:

Well, we just had a half-year stretch where almost all the MoC content favored Jingliu in some way, so going off that I imagine we're going to have at least half year of endgame content starting now that will favor Acheron, even if the buff for each doesn't directly obviously benefit her.

The soda dogs, for example, are designed to splash debuffs for her.

That's kind of a side benefit. The soda dogs inflict bleed and speed up adjacent enemies because they're meant to be taken advantage of by DoT teams (faster enemies mean they move faster so they take DoT damage faster, more dots means more Kafka detonations and Black Swan stacks). Sort of like how drunk ape looks designed for Aventurine but is actually just a boost towards Shielders (mainly Gepard) because shielding hasn't been particularly desirable compared to Fully Automated Healing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

But the fact that enemy design itself favors certain characters over others is precisely why there's such a long tail for characters staying good. For as long as we're fighting Penacony enemies, Acheron will have an advantage over whatever other arbitrary DPS, even after the specific mode bonuses have long since moved on.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
hi3rd is a bit more blunt on having "weathers" that straight up reduce your character's damage by like over 50% if they are not a specific equivalent of path.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Bad Video Games posted:

This might be the first Pure Fiction I can't get 12 stars. There's still plenty of time, but I'm not sure what's going to change. My Jing Yuan and LL don't line up to be enough points, my DoT team doesn't have enough burst, and I'm a bit at a loss. I'm averaging 30k on the first half and 20k on the second. Feels rough.

Argenti has to be the best character in the game for the first half, I figure paired with Bronya, supported by Herta and then another pure skill point generator like Pela, or maybe Hanya has got to get that done. Second half, Jing Yuan and Sparkle as a core, with like Tingyun and Serval would surely be enough. Are you doing anything fundamentally wrong? I assume everyone has at least the minimum of 134 speed or so to get six actions, Argenti will want more than Bronya. Sparkle will want at least 156 and you can skip the speed on Jing Yuan. 156 is not the biggest ask and it's a stepping stone for the 160+ speed that Sparkle will want for MoC. You can fill the gap with dance dance dance on Sparkle or possibly preferably Tingyun and it will be safe to activate it on Jing Yuan's turn if you are unsure how it works.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Eej posted:

Took me a few tries but Erudition is definitely Not Dead, cmon

Who said it's "dead"? I'm saying they seem to be changing the one piece of endgame content where they could actually outperform the standard Destruction/Nihility hypercarries to make them less effective. It still being possible to clear with sufficiently powerful Erudition characters with the right supports doesn't change that.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Still working through 2.1 at my snail’s pace, just finished POV swap Aventurine, pre-stage rehearsal edition. And wow, serious props to the VA - I have a bad tendency to click through text at the tail end of sentences once I’ve read them if doesn’t seem vital to hear the filler line, but I didn’t tap the skip once this whole POV because he had me hooked from the second the clone popped up.

Reallllyyyy hoping I get lucky on his banner now.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Clarste posted:

The idea behind "spooked" is that you were jumpscared by a pull you didn't expect while aiming for the banner character. So you might get spooked by Yanqing, but never by Acheron. Because of how banners work.

unless you're pulling for Gallagher eidolons and get an early 5*

as has happened to two people i know

people be tempting fate for that man

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

MarquiseMindfang posted:

unless you're pulling for Gallagher eidolons and get an early 5*

as has happened to two people i know

people be tempting fate for that man

Look his type of character design only pops up once in a blue moon in mainstream gachas like these okay. It could be another year or more before we get another male character who's less pretty boy and more rugged

I'm extremely tempted to do the same but I have to be disciplined since I don't particularly want or need Acheron or a Luocha eidolon. I'm betting on Gallagher rerunning on either Boothill or Sam's banner since he synergizes with them, but if he doesn't then gently caress me I guess

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Gallagher will be in the standard pool next patch. Ain't no way he's going to be a rate up before 2.5 at the earliest.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The new 4-stars have generally gotten their first reruns around 4 banners apart, with the earliest being Yukong after 3 banners, so I think there's a good chance he'll be in 2.3, at least. Maybe less so in 2.2.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

shrach posted:

Argenti has to be the best character in the game for the first half, I figure paired with Bronya, supported by Herta and then another pure skill point generator like Pela, or maybe Hanya has got to get that done. Second half, Jing Yuan and Sparkle as a core, with like Tingyun and Serval would surely be enough. Are you doing anything fundamentally wrong? I assume everyone has at least the minimum of 134 speed or so to get six actions, Argenti will want more than Bronya. Sparkle will want at least 156 and you can skip the speed on Jing Yuan. 156 is not the biggest ask and it's a stepping stone for the 160+ speed that Sparkle will want for MoC. You can fill the gap with dance dance dance on Sparkle or possibly preferably Tingyun and it will be safe to activate it on Jing Yuan's turn if you are unsure how it works.

Quoting for later. I'll have to go through my relics this weekend because I doubt I meet most of these thresholds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Bad Video Games posted:

Quoting for later. I'll have to go through my relics this weekend because I doubt I meet most of these thresholds.

Trying to do MoC and PF for the first time has shown me I’ve got way too many characters where I got some barely passable relics, leveled them to 9, and left them to rot lol