Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

I said come in! posted:

infinite undiscovery, blue dragon, and lost odyssey are still xbox 360 exclusive.

drat, a whole one game to care about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

as a fan of the first person brawler niche who's played zeno clash more times than anyone should i've been waiting for xbox emulation to get good enough that i can give it a look

If you do give it a shot I'd say try to give it until you get your cool powers, the early parts are pretty rough but once you get cool superpowers it really takes off.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Colonel posted:

Yeah, i've played all three of those, and honestly just play Lost Odyssey, you're not missing out if you skip the other two.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I said come in! posted:

Speaking of, what is the current best version of that series to play?

The Switch one with the subscription service, not counting fan-made simulators for PC. Which sounds bad but makes sense given how much money I spent on Taiko Drum n Fun DLC over the years.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Colonel posted:

as a fan of the first person brawler niche who's played zeno clash more times than anyone should i've been waiting for xbox emulation to get good enough that i can give it a look

It's really great and weird and I play through about once a year especially since it works on Xbone now. Can't wait for OG xbox emulation to get good enough to not have to use my Xbone again, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Colonel posted:

This is disrespectful to the memory of Akira Toriyama.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

You have to select, prior to engaging in a battle, whether you want to get XP or Items from the upcoming battle. That means you've no idea the xp enemies drop or items they give until you fight them in each mode, or if you thought fights let you choose your reward after showing you two options on victory you are dead wrong.

Normally you can somewhat freely swap, but iirc when you're on a screen with a treasure chest ever swapping to the Item mode disables your ability to open it so you need to exit the screen, go back in while in XP mode, do all the fights without changing, then open the chest.

Oh and also iirc the single best source of damage in the game is a disposable item from the starting area that you grind out via item mode so arguably you should never ever touch the level ups

The main characters first combat skill he learns requires that you give up an accessory slot to use.

What in the good god drat

Y'know I remember being intrigued when this game came out because I really liked Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue but uh, sounds like I dodged a bullet there

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

KH2 is kicking my rear end...Maybe going to Olympia second wasn't a good idea lol. The book guy optional fight pwned me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

KH2 is kicking my rear end...Maybe going to Olympia second wasn't a good idea lol. The book guy optional fight pwned me.

The optional Organization XIII fights aren’t really tuned for when you first find them and mostly feel like they’re there for the revisits (and maybe if you’re a big enough badass to do them the first go), and also Book Kid X’s fight isn’t really that great imo so you’re not missing much.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The optional Org XIII fights are imo entirely balanced around "did you get Reflect yet y/n". It's funny because I never once used Reflect when I played original release KH2 as a kid but when I finally replayed FM in the PC release it was like "Wow this spell is absolutely broken as poo poo. Geez."

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the org fights with the special portals are doable when you encounter them but definitely feel like they were intended for people who'd played through the original game and had some small experience with the nuances of the combat system that didn't originally really come up until you near endgame and have a bunch of humanoid battles back to back.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://twitter.com/SaGaGame/status/1775478437161181427

https://twitter.com/romasaga2_pr/status/1775479500681454005

quote:

The main character changes depending on the platform🎮
PS5&4☞Tsunori Mido edition
Switch☞Ameya edition
Steam☞Diva Number 5 edition

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If it helps you decide:

Mido - Generic McProtagonistman with an army of puppets
Ameya- Magical girl who has to collect cats to power up
Diva 5- Idol Singer Robot who loses her voice/memory and has to inhabit combat robots to try to reclaim it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I can't wait to play as the cat lady

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Barudak posted:

So did I do something wrong in Lunacid or uh am I in a weird bug. I went to Wing's Rest for the first time and no-one but Etna will talk to me and theres nothing I can seemingly do in the previous zone unless I level grind like a fiend for improved jumping.

Yeah, I think you're screwed. The NPCs should talk, and progress is gated behind an actual gate that one of them will sell you the key for.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh i forgot about the key

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
not playing any of the demos because i know i want to play the game anyway~
emerald is going to rule...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

D.Fuzzbot posted:

To this day, I still don't understand why they wrote a dull Tales game story but just added that it was all in Chopin's head.

I think because most games are made with the intent to be interesting and talked about and that's a factoid that draws people's attention.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ZCKaiser posted:

I've finished that game and I'm still not convinced it wasn't a fever dream.

It was a dying dream, but I didn't know if he was dying of a fever

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Which of the Kemco switch rpgs are the best ones?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

Which piece of lightly toasted slightly soggy bready is your favorite?

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

RareAcumen posted:

I think because most games are made with the intent to be interesting and talked about and that's a factoid that draws people's attention.

No, no that makes too much sense

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Which piece of lightly toasted slightly soggy bready is your favorite?

Like you don’t wanna know too.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Snooze Cruise posted:

not playing any of the demos because i know i want to play the game anyway~
emerald is going to rule...

I'm kinda annoyed I played the Unicorn Overlord demo cuz I bought it as soon as the demo finished and now my psn stats will be missing 8 hours from my overall playtime cuz it considers the demo and full game separate apps

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Don't know if there can really be a "best," but Alphadia Genesis or Asdivine Hearts are fine. I'm a few hours into Crystal Ortha and enjoying it, but it doesn't look like it's on sale on Switch right now. I'm also waiting for Chrome Wolf to go on sale eventually.

Always wait for them to go under $10.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Paying2Lurk posted:

Don't know if there can really be a "best," but Alphadia Genesis or Asdivine Hearts are fine. I'm a few hours into Crystal Ortha and enjoying it, but it doesn't look like it's on sale on Switch right now. I'm also waiting for Chrome Wolf to go on sale eventually.

Always wait for them to go under $10.

There is a 4 pack on Amazon for $25 which is cheap enough for me to be morbidly curious and Asdivine Hearts is one of the 4.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Seems fine. As long as you know what you're getting in to. They're barely above RPG Maker level pulp, cranked out mainly as mobile games. But they can be fun, moreso if you have even the slightest but of 16-bit JRPG nostalgia.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Paying2Lurk posted:

Seems fine. As long as you know what you're getting in to. They're barely above RPG Maker level pulp, cranked out mainly as mobile games. But they can be fun, moreso if you have even the slightest but of 16-bit JRPG nostalgia.

I’m probably going to just play these while I watch something in the background so yeah thats sort of what I expect.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was going to troll and say Dragon View for the SNES switch online but I guess I just imagined they added it to the games on there. Feels like the type of game that would be perfect fodder for that.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Don't know if it's too late to contribute bad/worst RPG chat, but I have suggestions:

The first one that came to mind was Ephemeral Fantasia, which I only know about because of the LP of it on the Archive (which I re-read recently). I did a search for it on YouTube, and some of the top results are also not fond of it ( 'Let's Not Play Ephemeral Fantasia' 'Worst JRPGs Ever #6', 'So Bad It's Good' etc.). That said, I kind of like some of the concepts in the game (the main thrust of the game being escaping the time loop on the island, and recruiting party members by helping them realize they're stuck in the loop, and how the protagonist is mute, but carries a talking guitar that more-or-less speaks for him.).

There's Descent to Undermountain, which was Interplay trying to make and Dungeons and Dragons game with the Descent engine, which ended up being a huge mess. Another D&D game that's also pretty reviled is Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, which apart from being a bad sequel to one of classic Gold Box games, was notorious for a bug where uninstalling the game would wipe your hard drive.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Ephemeral Fantasia is a game where they had a cool concept and committed to making it a reality in spite of their limitations when it came to actually realizing it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ephemeral fantasia is not helped by the english release lacking the singular thing that makes the guitar concept matter (you're supposed to be able to play it with the same guitar freaks controller you'd use for those games konami got out years before guitar hero launched in america and stole their thunder lol)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

incredibly funny to find out about guitar freaks and, thus find out that the entire birth of that craze in the west was because konami was way too loving slow about localizing it so they ended up just barely missing the insane well of popularity hero got

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BRB, making a romhack of Ephemeral Fantasia where you have to play Freebird to beat the final boss.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Has anyone here tried Terra Memoria? I saw it while browsing on ps5 but I don't think I've heard anything about it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also i'd like to note how much cooler the jp box for ephemeral fantasia/reiseleid is

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cannot hate on the game because that boxart is so nuts. there are no other ps2 games that went for this, reiselied is entirely unique

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah that is helluva better box art.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

How do you even match the screenshots to the proper color?

That rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

How do you even match the screenshots to the proper color?

That rules.

I don't know how they did it but these days there are programs that do it automatically, you just give it the picture you want to output and a bunch of images and it tries to color match as close as it can.