Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kefa posted:

What’s the motivation behind exploring then? I’d get it if the caves all looked different but they’re all the same pretty much.

Seeing the world, filling out the map, finding set pieces and things that aren't a big treasure box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Magmarashi posted:

Seeing the world, filling out the map, finding set pieces and things that aren't a big treasure box

That’s my problem with open world games I guess. Just filling out the map doesn’t do it for me. Or it does initially but stops being fun after 10-15 hours. But that’s on me I get that.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kefa posted:

That’s my problem with open world games I guess. Just filling out the map doesn’t do it for me. Or it does initially but stops being fun after 10-15 hours. But that’s on me I get that.

Well sure, the other stuff needs to be there as well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Okay. Well. The Dragonblight experiment was a resounding success, and I have photographic evidence. Obvious spoilers for this mechanic ahead:

First, other than the red eyes, some promising signs from the things she says:

Then, after resting a few times, it finally happens:

She does not disappoint:

I pick her up from the Riftstone and she acts like nothing happened, except this one line after a bit of prodding:

So this is my official guide for if you really hate a city and want to massacre its inhabitants:

1. Wait until your main pawn inevitably catches the Dragonblight (the red eyes are a telltale sign)
2. Immediately dismiss your support pawns so it's just you and your pawn
3. Rest a few times at your house or a local inn in the targeted city

Should work every time. There you have it. Like and subscribe for more content.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Sitting on the ground isn't a dragonblight thing, it's a straightforward inclination thing - they will all do it (and only straightforward pawns will do it). I am kind of curious how many people have been dunking straightforward pawns thinking that their natural sassiness is the plague.

My pawn is Straightforward and I've had to dunk her a few times out of caution. Only one of those was I absolutely sure.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I got an official Capcom pawn from a broken stone, suddenly the dragonblight tutorial comes up, and so I dunk the fucker immediately into the brine

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oh, I guess I thought Warfarer got four skills to set per vocation, not... four skills total divided between whatever vocations you wanted to use, lol. That does limit the gimmick a bit. Do you get vocation xp for everything, or only the vocations that have skills actively set?

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Thank god, with this mod this game is finally playable

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/418?tab=description

THE WIND IS PUSHING MEEEEEEEEEEE

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Oh, I guess I thought Warfarer got four skills to set per vocation, not... four skills total divided between whatever vocations you wanted to use, lol. That does limit the gimmick a bit. Do you get vocation xp for everything, or only the vocations that have skills actively set?
I'm not a hardcore mod guy but if you're on PC this is like, an essential mod imo. Works exactly the way you would think Warfarer should work: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/221
Its the one thing that confuses me the most about this game because I'm pretty sure it only works that way out of, them not caring enough to put in the effort to make a custom skill bar UI just for one class, instead of like a well considered design decision.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

homeless snail posted:

I'm not a hardcore mod guy but if you're on PC this is like, an essential mod imo. Works exactly the way you would think Warfarer should work: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/221
Its the one thing that confuses me the most about this game because I'm pretty sure it only works that way out of, them not caring enough to put in the effort to make a custom skill bar UI just for one class, instead of like a well considered design decision.

On PS5, but at least it's good to know I wasn't the only one who had that thought. I can probably get by with just using a few fun skills, and lugging around a staff for traversal purposes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I am far behind bc too busy to play but my wish for Wayfarer would be to not even switch weapons, just let me pick the skills and make it work. Let my spear do bow stuff and magic freeze, I can imagine it clear as day

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

Eh, I don't think it was a matter of "they didn't want to figure out how to make it work". The way everybody thinks Warfarer should work, where they get a custom skill setup per-weapon, is crazy overpowered. Warfarer is already a very good class even with the limitations; I think they just wanted there to be a reason to still play any of the other classes after you've unlocked it.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Magmarashi posted:

Kefa posted:

I have to agree with Kefa to an extent because when you look at an image of the entire thing filled out, there are huge areas that you just can't go into, like blocked off mountain tops or mostly ocean. When combined with a map of hidden items and chests there are large regions with nothing to see.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah DD2 does cheat in making itself look bigger than it actually is with lots of map space that's actually completely inaccessible, although it's not nearly as bad as the first game was in that regard.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Eh, I don't think it was a matter of "they didn't want to figure out how to make it work". The way everybody thinks Warfarer should work, where they get a custom skill setup per-weapon, is crazy overpowered. Warfarer is already a very good class even with the limitations; I think they just wanted there to be a reason to still play any of the other classes after you've unlocked it.

warfarer can't use maister skills

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think its debatably overpowered, you can't use maister skills and your stats are worse than single classing, but its not like its meant to be a particularly challenging game, every class has a Win button by itself. And the way it works stock its pointless to go further than dual classing, let alone 9-classing. Its not a good piece of design

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

warfarer would be overpowered in a system where you could get significant synergies between vocations, but every vocation is so aggressively siloed into its niche that non-modded warfarer's primary benefit is just, like, being able to swap between melee and ranged attacks and nothing else. it's very much a For Fun vocation at a baseline, allowing you to have a more varied playstyle and wear whatever gear you want, but it's not any stronger than pure thief/magick archer/sorcerer

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I still haven't upgraded any of my gear and feel like I have no need to owing to how much damage I do vs how much damage I take. Also I keep finding upgrades to my gear. Is there any specific like penultimate "best weapon in the game" for each class before NG+ or whatever?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I still haven't upgraded any of my gear and feel like I have no need to owing to how much damage I do vs how much damage I take. Also I keep finding upgrades to my gear. Is there any specific like penultimate "best weapon in the game" for each class before NG+ or whatever?

there is, although you're able to get them in NG+ even if you miss out on them during the postgame in regular NG

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What about before the post game then? I've accidentally found myself in the desert and the stuff here is a moderate upgrade to what I already had.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Eh, I dunno, there's deffo some classes where I have 2 or less real skills and everything else is niche or there because I couldn't think of anything else to slot in. Warfarer fits for those cases; like I could probably roll a Warrior build that's just the running stab or charged sweep + shoryuken (because it's the MVP melee skill), with a mage staff swap for silence so I can blow up Drakes and Liches whenever they fly and/or cast spells

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nuebot posted:

What about before the post game then? I've accidentally found myself in the desert and the stuff here is a moderate upgrade to what I already had.

it's not absolutely necessary, but upgrading your weapon at the least is a good idea from time to time, as the flat damage reduction thing will become a major bummer with a low tier weapon as you go further down the continent. not a dealbreaker or anything, but fights will get more tedious without that extra damage

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nuebot posted:

every store the further away you get from Vermund will have better stuff if you go south to Volcanic Island they'll have something even better

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I haven't had any issues yet so far, most things die really fast. It actually took me longer to kill a drake as thief than as warrior. But maybe the desert monsters will be a slog, I've gotta explore this place since apparently there's another town somewhere in here.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

every store the further away you get from Vermund will have better stuff if you go south to Volcanic Island they'll have something even better

The one exception to “further south = better” is Elfburg.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Warfarer as-is is awesome. I def expected it to work the way everyone else did at first, but I think the limitations give you interesting choices. It let me discover my perfect build: archistave primary for spells and traversing, magick bow for putting lots of damage on a specific spot, and duospears for when I've gotten separated from my pawns or taken the Wakestone Express (leaping off a cliff to save travel time). Also when I'm wanting to mix it up melee style for a bit. Always-equipped skills are high seism and saggitate shower, and the third I'll swap between high levin, thundermine, or ricochet shot, depending on need.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

The one exception to “further south = better” is Elfburg.

that place sucks and is like, barely south of melve

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

that place sucks and is like, barely south of melve

They sell a pretty drat good Archistaff for how far north they are

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

House of the blue sunbright is the dumbest quest in the game.
It just has such an incredibly unsatisfying resolution.
I mean there's an obvious way to get the interesting outcome, if the kid never comes home the orphan gets to be a noble.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
the mom is the one who deserves to die there tbh

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

I mean there's an obvious way to get the interesting outcome, if the kid never comes home the orphan gets to be a noble.

Does the mum notice in that case?

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I think I'm nearly "done" with the top half of the map. I found the gate to Bakbattahl and think I know how to let the guards open it for me. So now I'm just trying to mop up the Brant quests and some others I have like the book girl.

I think I'm pretty overleveled for the story, from all the exploring. I also maxed Thief and almost Archer on my Arisen. My pawn was maxed on Fighter so I switched him to Warrior. Now every time he comes back from beyond the rift he says he still has much to learn and things were terrible, so I guess he still needs to level up a bit and/or has lovely gear Take him out for a run around, if you want. I gave him Black Matter yesterday so he should not be terrible anymore. Pawn id: Q2U9O7J077VX. Or just add me on PSN: grizzlywilde, I like to just have a bunch to choose from in my friends pawns tab for easy access, and since I'm unable to find a lot of the pawns in the goon list for some reason.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

House of the blue sunbright is the dumbest quest in the game.
It just has such an incredibly unsatisfying resolution.

It legitimately feels like they forgot a finale quest for that quest line. Daphne is the the only NPC that follow you and the other 2 NPCs just sit there repeating their lines like there's still more to the quest.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

About to try to do this Medusa head stuff, followed by the quest where you need the head (at least for the best outcome).

I think I probably should have brought a portcrystal just so I could do an inn save beforehand without needing to make the trek out here if I need to do another attempt.

My main concern is my pawns doing too much damage before I can figure out how to cut the head off. On the "upside" my own pawn fell into a chasm on the way here, his first "complete" death ever. And he was a Thief, so that's some dps removed. The rest of my party is a Mage and Warrior, so I'll just hope the Warrior isn't a badass.

My own strategy is that I'm a Warfarer and plan on using Mystic Archer's big ice block shot to try and stagger her, followed by switching to Thief and Draw and Quarter-ing the head.

Unrelated, but while looking up Sphinx stuff I think I like the JP Sphinx voice way more than the English one (which just sounds like "a woman"). "Literally Frieza" works surprisingly well for the role.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

You can just give pawns the "wait" command and they won't attack anything you're fighting. Useful for quite a few quests/scenarios.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/y8cIfkm.mp4

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So, the Unmoored World...does it have a time mechanic no one told me about? I slept and got a tornado cutscene.

Also, there's no ox carts and you can't camp outside?
Absolutely brutal lol, I love it

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Deified Data posted:

So, the Unmoored World...does it have a time mechanic no one told me about? I slept and got a tornado cutscene.

Yes. More specifically the red mist around the edges of the map will spread more and more inwards on the map over time. this can be slowed down by fighting the monsters you can summon at the red pillars of light. slowed, but not stopped. the game doesn't explicitly tell you about this, but the cutscenes that come up when you rest are pretty ominous and telling- and anyone checking the map will see the mist spreading more each day that passes

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The main feature of the post game segment is that it's a great way to farm up all the resources you never got because its all high tier monsters and almost everything you kill drops ferrystones so you can stock up on those for the NG+.

But yeah the game doesn't tell you this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I currently have like 400-450k gold.

Actually somewhat considering getting one of the expensive houses just because.

I'm also close to 9999 rift currency, which lets me get glasses that probably look a little different from the other glasses but it's hard to tell without being able to zoom in. My pawn will get the glasses, since glasses don't really fit my Arisen's aesthetic.