Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ah! I figured out why in 80 hours of the game I have never gotten the dragon's ligma.
I'm updating my hired pawns every time I rest at an inn/house, so every time my pawn has gotten dragonblight I passed it off to another pawn and then dismissed it later, before it had any time to progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

One of you PS5 goons has a level 54ish Sorcerer pawn with the dragonaids. She was making a lot of weird comments, so I got up close and looked at her and her eyes are red!

I dismissed her and gave you some flowers. Then threw my pawn to the brine.

Hope you get it cleared up soon because your pawn was nice and literally my only 50+ sorcerer friend.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Thundarr posted:

The big houses aren't even the most pointless waste of money in the game, but they're probably #2.

that's the myrmecoleon

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Broke 1k knockdown :toot: Not sure if I can get this any higher except by just levelling her.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

TheMostFrench posted:

I have to agree with Kefa to an extent because when you look at an image of the entire thing filled out, there are huge areas that you just can't go into, like blocked off mountain tops or mostly ocean. When combined with a map of hidden items and chests there are large regions with nothing to see.

OK

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Fight against Raghnall was a bit annoying due to him stunlocking me so I took the non-honorable route, ensnared him once to stagger him and tossed him into the chasm.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sloober posted:

that's the myrmecoleon

Yep, lol. I have to wonder why they even bothered.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Yep, lol. I have to wonder why they even bothered.

horny dd2 players probably, i mentioned it earlier that i was curious what 'special privileges' unlocked by spending money there, thinking maybe there's like idk, some kind of special vendor for equipment you can only get there

the priv is more expensive sex workers

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I never went back in that place after the story quest, but I saw someone say you get a buff for a day if you use it?
So, possibly not a 100% waste of money, just very close

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, personal houses are basically just inns you don't have to pay for

Speaking of, anyone bought either of the big houses? Any reason to?

I got the big one in vermund and it seems extra pointless. You have to go upstairs to rest and npcs don't visit it. At least they don't visit it for me. Is there another big house?

Anyway while I was exploring battahl a ghost taught me how to be a trickster so now I guess I'm leveling trickster. Thief was strong but I don't like its attacks that much so I can see myself going back to warrior once I finish getting all my classes maxed. Not sure if I like my pawn more as a sorcerer or an archer though, she's insanely deadly as both.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nuebot posted:

I got the big one in vermund and it seems extra pointless. You have to go upstairs to rest and npcs don't visit it. At least they don't visit it for me. Is there another big house?

Anyway while I was exploring battahl a ghost taught me how to be a trickster so now I guess I'm leveling trickster. Thief was strong but I don't like its attacks that much so I can see myself going back to warrior once I finish getting all my classes maxed. Not sure if I like my pawn more as a sorcerer or an archer though, she's insanely deadly as both.

Yeah, there's a house in Bakbatthal or 300k as well. I think you might have to do the Empress' questline first though.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I never went back in that place after the story quest, but I saw someone say you get a buff for a day if you use it?
So, possibly not a 100% waste of money, just very close

you can get the same set of buffs from cookin' a scrag of beast at a campfire iirc

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Magick Archer used to be my main class in DD1 but I finished leveling it in DD2 and it's kind of lame and undercooked in DD2. No wonder they put it right outside the ending.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Got the real ending. Game loving owns.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Fight against Raghnall was a bit annoying due to him stunlocking me so I took the non-honorable route, ensnared him once to stagger him and tossed him into the chasm.

I jump kicked them when using bow as a Warfarer and flew off the platform myself and died. When I used a wakestone it said I completed the quest by running away.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

RubberLuffy posted:

I jump kicked them when using bow as a Warfarer and flew off the platform myself and died. When I used a wakestone it said I completed the quest by running away.

Once I figure out how to trigger that quest I'm gonna see how it reacts to using Unto Skie.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Question about the postgame:

Am I under a time limit here? Can I rest and sleep to get my HP debuff off or does it advance a "timer"?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Magick Archer used to be my main class in DD1 but I finished leveling it in DD2 and it's kind of lame and undercooked in DD2. No wonder they put it right outside the ending.

What's with these posts that just accuse the devs of making poo poo bad on purpose lol

TeaJay posted:

Question about the postgame:

Am I under a time limit here? Can I rest and sleep to get my HP debuff off or does it advance a "timer"?

Yes, yes, and yes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Archer is better and funner than magick archer because aiming with your bow sucks poo poo and archer doesn’t make you do that nearly as much.

All falls before REAL magic: karate kicks and a stockpile of explosives

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deified Data posted:

What's with these posts that just accuse the devs of making poo poo bad on purpose lol

How did you get that from my post?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I saw an interesting point.

Based on the credits, DD2 seemingly had a lot smaller team than every other Capcom project, including Devil May Cry 5.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/220049/dragons-dogma-ii/credits/playstation-5/
https://www.mobygames.com/game/121476/devil-may-cry-5/credits/windows/

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

How did you get that from my post?

Your post is "they hid MA at the endgame because they knew they hosed it up" unless I missed a big /s there lol

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
MA might be undercooked, but it's also extremely overpowered, so

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Don't get me wrong I don't care if someone thinks it's half-baked, I just don't think "hiding" the class in endgame in shame was part of their thought process lol

I think they either thought of it as an end game "elite" class option or figured a lot more people would be playing NG+ with it

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So far I have maxed out Fighter, Warrior and Thief.

Warrior rules. It's really improved over the first game.

Thief is overpowered af. But it's fun.

Fighter is really good. I loved fighter in the original game. I love hitting a perfect parry! The auto counter skill is pretty broken. It's so ridiculously strong.

I'm currently playing Archer and...I kinda hate it.

I really wish Myistc Knight didn't get removed. I love using a shield. MK was awesome. Spearhead looks not as cool imo.

Anyone know if Warfarer can use a sword and shield as one weapon type? I think Sword and Shield, big 2h sword and a bow sounds fun. Maybe the Magik Archer bow.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Your post is "they hid MA at the endgame because they knew they hosed it up" unless I missed a big /s there lol

"Undercooked" is not the same as "making bad on purpose".

The game clearly had to wrap up production earlier than they wanted, as the last 30% of the game are very much rushed, and Magick Archer obviously didn't get as much time/work as other classes.
Hell, two of the buttons on the controller do loving nothing for MA.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I dunno, the game seems pretty well put together until you get to the desert and then it just seems to fall apart. It just seems unfinished or unbalanced but maybe that’s the intention?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Malaria posted:

Anyone know if Warfarer can use a sword and shield as one weapon type? I think Sword and Shield, big 2h sword and a bow sounds fun. Maybe the Magik Archer bow.

Yes. You can do that.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Malaria posted:

Anyone know if Warfarer can use a sword and shield as one weapon type?

Yup. I used Vengeful Slash from Fighter, and the shield and laser beam abilities from Mystic Spearhand, and that allowed me to play sword & board with the ability to hit things at ranged plus keep my entire party from taking damage.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
All the times they go "this... is the dragon's dogma" or "that was the dogma of the dragon" has extreme "I sure am tired of all these star wars" energy

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I think the main quest is weird and disjointed from beginning to end, just like the first, and side quests significantly flesh out the whole narrative and the actors involved. Exploration felt the same in both halves of the game. I never really felt a "drop off" in anything but difficulty.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Am I the only one who couldn't stand playing Mystic Spearhand? I feel like the core of the class is unreliable and frustrating.
It wants you to constantly hold the Stun button and then loop Stun - Teleport - Heavy Finisher - Repeat, with other abilities in between, but the Teleport and Stun abilities are just unreliable as hell.

Teleport constantly puts you either not close enough to the enemy, or slightly up in the air, or both, and you not reacting to Teleport loving up and doing the Heavy Finisher, like it wants you to, will just plunge you down to the ground into a REALLY loving long animation that will just get you murdered on the spot.

Same thing with the Stun ability. It's supposed to activate on a negative edge and you're supposed to be able to cancel into it from other moves, but it constantly fucks up and doesn't trigger for no reason and you just end up losing change without doing anything half the time.

It's literally the only class I actively disliked playing because it didn't feel like it was functioning properly.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

At least you can get the teleport to work :v:

I enjoy it as a blender with an invuln button, but I've definitely not been able to get it to work in the advertised way.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
It’s literally broken as you spam invincible, but not very fun. Force throw is fun for a little bit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mystic Spearhand is a trap option to trick people who want to play both magic and melee. They should instead play Warfarer

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sloober posted:

literally just regular game but you keep all your levels and equipment, ive run through it to near the end and there's no differences so its actually kind of boring, they definitely missed a lot of chances to do something really fun

There is one very minor difference - pawns say different stuff (though maybe this also applies to the unmoored world stuff). They say stuff along the lines of "I see you've chosen to stay in our world Arisen."

Thundarr posted:

Warfarer does in fact give vocation XP to everything that isn't maxed yet but geez it's slow. Probably better to just play them normally and come back to Warfarer later. Having Draw and Quarter to murder big things, Sagittate Avalanche to murder small things, and Mirour Shelde to no sell attacks, while also having a staff to get around and a censer if two big monsters attack at once, is pretty cool.

I think Warfarer is good for getting the other vocations through the first few ranks where they often don't have anything good.

edit: Plus the obvious use case of "you want to keep playing a vocation after you've maxed it" (or you want to use your fancy expensive gear that you already found/bought for another vocation that can't be worn for your current one)

Neeksy posted:

So I've snagged two portcrystals so far: one you get from finishing the elven archery questline, another can be found in a griffin's nest near the periphery of the misty area with the dullahan.
It really makes the quest to help their tree actually tolerable.

Huh, I didn't realize there were any portcrystals just sitting around like this, I assumed they were all from quests.

I think getting one more will basically allow me to have one anywhere I could conceivably want. It's kind of nice having one or two "flex" portcrystals that you can just drop in the middle of an expedition (though I obviously don't do this very often, since it eats up Ferrystones pretty quickly).

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Spear hand is fun as hell and I’m at the point where the game is easy enough that I’ll trade efficacy for fun. The shield rules, force throw rules, and the stun blast is really handy. But I’m also using Warfarer to mix it with Magick Archer so that’s helping pad out some of its weak points.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I never had weak spots. Constantly invincible, dragoon jumping on heads, throw weirdoes around.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Jack Trades posted:

Am I the only one who couldn't stand playing Mystic Spearhand? I feel like the core of the class is unreliable and frustrating.
It wants you to constantly hold the Stun button and then loop Stun - Teleport - Heavy Finisher - Repeat, with other abilities in between, but the Teleport and Stun abilities are just unreliable as hell.

Teleport constantly puts you either not close enough to the enemy, or slightly up in the air, or both, and you not reacting to Teleport loving up and doing the Heavy Finisher, like it wants you to, will just plunge you down to the ground into a REALLY loving long animation that will just get you murdered on the spot.

Same thing with the Stun ability. It's supposed to activate on a negative edge and you're supposed to be able to cancel into it from other moves, but it constantly fucks up and doesn't trigger for no reason and you just end up losing change without doing anything half the time.

It's literally the only class I actively disliked playing because it didn't feel like it was functioning properly.

I'm gonna be honest with you I can nail a perfect parry no problem but I cannot for the life of me get the teleport core skill for MS to work. I played it for like 15 hours of the game and did not manage to do it even a single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Carmant posted:

I'm gonna be honest with you I can nail a perfect parry no problem but I cannot for the life of me get the teleport core skill for MS to work. I played it for like 15 hours of the game and did not manage to do it even a single time.

it has such an infinitesimally small window vs literally every other timing based skill in the game, i can get it most of the time but its a much tighter window than a perfect block or parry