Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
seems like a mild bird flu that cant jump to humans and isnt airborne. im going to wash all my milk cartons to be safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The cure can’t be worse than the disease

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
sanitizing the milking machine leads to immunity debt, fools

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Any time they say anything now I just assume it's total horseshit waiting for an observer to point out the obvious lie

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Found this while digging through some old photos. 5/1/2020

"There are weeks where nothing happens. Then there are days where years of lockdowns happened."

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

"There are weeks where nothing happens. Then there are days where years of lockdowns happened."

Here we started pro sports again before schools (and I think public parks?) were open

Just a totally hosed upside down-rear end society

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it still doesn't loving explain one half of the transmission process either! are udders like, just chock fulla those receptors we were discussing earlier? i'll grant that obviously there's a mammary duct but otherwise they're just skin, which... why isn't literally any other part of the cow of concern then??

gently caress youuu

Apr 7, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Here we started pro sports again before schools (and I think public parks?) were open

Just a totally hosed upside down-rear end society

The high school sports authority in this state, the PIAA, had a completely normal fall 2020 football season

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:lol:

Bird flu discovered in U.S. dairy cows is ‘disturbing’
https://www.science.org/content/article/bird-flu-discovered-u-s-dairy-cows-disturbing

Q: What have you learned from your study that is looking for infections in farmers and their cattle?

A: We’ve been funded now for about 8 months. Initially, we thought we would be able to work with many farms in Texas, because they’re concerned about keeping their animals free from disease. But there’s been a real resistance to collaborating with us. There’s concern that we might find something that would damage their business. Well, now they have something that’s damaging to their business. And we’re standing by ready to assist in a way that would help us identify the transmission pathway. Is a viable virus aerosolized? Is it coming out in the feces? Or is it simply a respiratory pathogen that is moving through direct contact from cattle to cattle? I would think that there’s some indication with this rapid multistate spread that this thing is airborne.

Apr 7, 2003

that rules, the covid-19 pandemic has paved the way for the acceptance of Homo Economicus as the man of the future

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
if Number can't stop it NOTHING CAN

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I recently finished reading The Viral Underclass: The Human Toll When Inequality and Disease Collide, and I cannot recommend it enough to this thread. The author is Dr. Steven Thrasher, a journalist and scholar who had been covering the policing and criminalization of HIV for years and years prior to the start of the COVID pandemic. He does a fantastic job explaining how society structures itself to foist the disease burden onto the downtrodden, and the book is a much easier and accessible read than Necropolis or Health Communism.

It’s a very personal book. Dr. Thrasher fills it with personal anecdotes, and the stories of the people he’s met, the people he’s reported on, and the people he has been romantically involved with. The stories are riveting and heartbreaking. Each chapter builds upon the last, and the people introduced in Chapter 1 are relevant and talked about throughout the entire book. I’m really impressed with how the book is able to cover so many angles of disease and capitalism without feeling like it’s jumping all over the place.

This section from Chapter 1 had me snapping to attention because I hadn't made this connection yet:

quote:

The week Mike Brown was killed, I had just started a new job as a columnist for the British newspaper the Guardian. I wasn't supposed to travel or do much on-the-ground reporting for this job, particularly as I was about to start a full-time, funded PhD job a month later. But an editor heard I had gotten to know the St. Louis region while covering Michael Johnson and told me to get on a plane to cover the uprising.

Before heading to the airport, I asked one of the HIV prevention experts I’d come to know what I should be looking for in this town of Ferguson. And they told me their colleagues had recently been in the Canfield Green Apartments because there had been new HIV transmission in the area and that Ferguson was located in St. Louis's heavily Black “North County,” which suffered from higher rates of HIV and AIDS than other parts of the region.

Learning this zapped me with the sharpest physical sensation I've ever had in my life as a reporter and scholar, while helping me to understand something about life in America: Of course, the HIV folks knew the area where Michael Brown was killed, I thought. Wherever you find police violence and racism in the United States, you're bound to find Black people living with viruses and dying of disease. Though I didn't yet know the term, this was the first time I was beginning to see the manifestation of the viral underclass.

Here’s an excerpt from chapter 7, “Cages: The Liberal Carceral State”, that shows just how perfectly this book belongs in CSPAM:

quote:

One day in August 2020, I logged into the New York Times’s coronavirus tracker, which, among other factors, displayed how many COVID-19 cases could be traced to institutions. Besides a pork-processing plant in South Dakota and a chicken plant in Iowa, fifteen of the seventeen institutions on that date with a thousand or more coronavirus cases traced to them were jails or prisons. Six of them were located in California, three in Florida, two each in Ohio and Arkansas, and one in each in Tennessee and Illinois, including Chicago’s Cook County jail. The governors who could have reduced these incarcerated populations with pardons to stop the largest clusters of COVID-19 in the nation were Republicans and Democrats alike. The viral danger had nothing to do with whether a state was “red” or “blue.” And if one were to trace the responsibility for the deadliest institution of them all on that day–San Quentin State Prison in California or about twenty-five hundred people had tested positive for coronavirus and twenty-five had died of it–it would lead to the door of Democratic governor, Gavin Newsom.

That very same month, more than 350 fires raged out of control among across the state Newsom governed. While ash fell on Oakland, non-profit organizations and mutual aid networks struggled to get N95 masks to vulnerable people before the smoke triggered asthma attacks or other lethal breathing problems. But the masks were already in short supply due to COVID-19. The same day Cal Fire told the press it had no way to treat all the flames burning throughout the state, because for years it had been relying upon incarcerated firefighters to smother such blazes. These workers earned as little as a dollar per hour, and their criminal records kept them from becoming firefighters once they were released. And because California's prisons were among the most powerful COVID-19 hotspots in the nation, so many firefighters were sick or under quarantine that there weren't enough available to fight the hundreds of fires. It was a moment in which America's twin epidemics of incarceration and COVID-19 entered into a three-way race with the global pandemic of the climate crisis.

This was a disaster of the Democrats’ making. Governor Gavin Newsom, a darling of Gay Inc. since he’d supported same-sex marriages as mayor of San Francisco in 2004, slowly began releasing some incarcerated firefighters in the summer of 2020. But he could have done so months or years earlier. Many of them were eligible to be firefighters for the same reasons their release dates had been moved forward: their model behavior. If Newsom had released them before COVID-19 spread in prisons, when activists had first begged them to, they could have gone home to their families where they would have been far less at risk than in prison. If he had then pardoned them, they could have been called to duty not as enslaved workers–people convicted of crimes are legally enslaved under the Thirteenth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution–but as crisis-ready firefighters

But Democratic policy in the Golden State had long been in to incarcerate people needlessly. In 2011, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that California had to reduce its dangerously overcrowded prisons by granting early release to people convicted of non-violent offenses. Then-California attorney general Kamala Harris sued in 2014 to stop these court-mandated releases. By using cheaply paid, enslaved firefighters, California was saving one hundred million dollars a year, and Harris's office argued that it would be too “dangerous” to let these firefighters go–not because they would pose a danger to their communities, but because it would be a “difficult firefight season” without enslaved labor.

The book covers a ton of ground, just check out that chapter list:

ACT I: BLAME
1. Mandingo: Racism
2. The Inifinte Weight of Zero: Individualized Shame
3. Parasite: Capitalism

ACT II: LAW AND ORDER
4. Guilty Until Proven Innocent
5. From Athens to Appalachia: Austerity
6. Borderlands: Borders
7. Cages: The Liberal Carceral State

ACT III: SOCIAL DEATH
8. One in Two: Unequal Prophylaxis
9. Disability as Disposability: Ableism
10. Ride-Along: Speciesism

ACT IV: RECKONING
11.Release: The Myth of White Immunity
12. Compound Loss: Collective Punishment
Epilogue: Why Am I “Me” and You are “You”?

I checked it out from my library and was so taken by the writing that I bought my own copy to read whenever. Check it out sometime, fellow goons.

fake edit: we should have book recommendations in the OP imo. I think books like Necropolis, Health Communism, and The Viral Underclass are all really good tools for helping people understand the dynamics of disease and capitalism.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

John Howard’s “We Want Them Infected” is a good meticulous record of early COVID denialism, as I understand it, haven’t read it yet myself.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it's gonna spread from the Whole Foods

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

quote:

That very same month, more than 350 fires raged out of control among across the state Newsom governed. While ash fell on Oakland, non-profit organizations and mutual aid networks struggled to get N95 masks to vulnerable people before the smoke triggered asthma attacks or other lethal breathing problems. But the masks were already in short supply due to COVID-19. The same day Cal Fire told the press it had no way to treat all the flames burning throughout the state, because for years it had been relying upon incarcerated firefighters to smother such blazes. These workers earned as little as a dollar per hour, and their criminal records kept them from becoming firefighters once they were released. And because California's prisons were among the most powerful COVID-19 hotspots in the nation, so many firefighters were sick or under quarantine that there weren't enough available to fight the hundreds of fires. It was a moment in which America's twin epidemics of incarceration and COVID-19 entered into a three-way race with the global pandemic of the climate crisis.

Where's that picture of a sign that said something like "be safe, Covid is here" in the foreground with the whole forest on fire in the background, somebody has to have it saved

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Lol bird flu and fire this summer

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

It's so awesome that every year on this planet is

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Teenage Riot posted:

Where's that picture of a sign that said something like "be safe, Covid is here" in the foreground with the whole forest on fire in the background, somebody has to have it saved

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

that rules, the covid-19 pandemic has paved the way for the acceptance of Homo Economicus as the man of the future

Welcome to the Virocene Econocene.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Thank you

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

this should really be thread banner/background

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Crazypoops posted:

It's so awesome that every year on this planet is

It is especially this year with the planes falling apart now

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Found this while digging through some old photos. 5/1/2020

Still a lockdown, the server is wearing a mask.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
come join us lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Baddog
May 12, 2001

ColdBlooded posted:

Still a lockdown, the server is wearing a mask.

Unable to read the facial cues of our server, my child's verbal development will never recover

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

I recently finished reading The Viral Underclass: The Human Toll When Inequality and Disease Collide, and I cannot recommend it enough to this thread. The author is Dr. Steven Thrasher, a journalist and scholar who had been covering the policing and criminalization of HIV for years and years prior to the start of the COVID pandemic. He does a fantastic job explaining how society structures itself to foist the disease burden onto the downtrodden, and the book is a much easier and accessible read than Necropolis or Health Communism.

I read this a while ago and thought it was worthwhile but didn't like it enough to recommend it to others. It certainly has a lot of good content and effectively argues that criminalizing disease transmission is just another stick with which to beat the underclasses, same as the drug war. I think this point might be controversial even here. I didn't particularly enjoy their writing style and found the author took too long to make points, in part due to the very personal nature of the writing. For this reason I found Necropolis a much more interesting read.

"Pandemics: a very short introduction" is IMO also very good in part because it provides a broad and to the point overview of pandemics throughout history. Sometimes people talk about how we used to prioritize public health and that's wrong, public health has always been subservient to economic concerns and ruling class interests. The author points out that public health measures past and present tend to be dominated by technical interventions ie vaccines/antibiotics/killing insects, and the underlying social arrangements that lead to underclasses being most vulnerable to pandemics are rarely/never addressed. Also interesting to read people from over a century ago essentially arguing that cholera is mild and doesn't require any sort of mitigation.

edit: definitely agree these books are very helpful towards understanding the COVID pandemic and other perennial public health issues. Haven't read Health Communism but will look into it.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 22:08 on Apr 6, 2024

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Nocturtle posted:

Also interesting to read people from over a century ago essentially arguing that cholera is mild and doesn't require any sort of mitigation.
that quote from a major British newspaper about how "fear of cholera will kill more people than cholera itself"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

CGI Stardust posted:

that quote from a major British newspaper about how "fear of cholera will kill more people than cholera itself"

Sent back in time from the year 2029

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

U-DO Burger posted:

It’s a very personal book. Dr. Thrasher fills it with personal anecdotes, and the stories of the people he’s met, the people he’s reported on, and the people he has been romantically involved with. The stories are riveting and heartbreaking. Each chapter builds upon the last, and the people introduced in Chapter 1 are relevant and talked about throughout the entire book. I’m really impressed with how the book is able to cover so many angles of disease and capitalism without feeling like it’s jumping all over the place.

This section from Chapter 1 had me snapping to attention because I hadn't made this connection yet:

Here’s an excerpt from chapter 7, “Cages: The Liberal Carceral State”, that shows just how perfectly this book belongs in CSPAM:

The book covers a ton of ground, just check out that chapter list:

ACT I: BLAME
1. Mandingo: Racism
2. The Inifinte Weight of Zero: Individualized Shame
3. Parasite: Capitalism

ACT II: LAW AND ORDER
4. Guilty Until Proven Innocent
5. From Athens to Appalachia: Austerity
6. Borderlands: Borders
7. Cages: The Liberal Carceral State

ACT III: SOCIAL DEATH
8. One in Two: Unequal Prophylaxis
9. Disability as Disposability: Ableism
10. Ride-Along: Speciesism

ACT IV: RECKONING
11.Release: The Myth of White Immunity
12. Compound Loss: Collective Punishment
Epilogue: Why Am I “Me” and You are “You”?

I checked it out from my library and was so taken by the writing that I bought my own copy to read whenever. Check it out sometime, fellow goons.

fake edit: we should have book recommendations in the OP imo. I think books like Necropolis, Health Communism, and The Viral Underclass are all really good tools for helping people understand the dynamics of disease and capitalism.

great review, I did check this book out briefly before going with Maladies of Empire, which was also good but less applicable to the thread.

in fiction, I think The Metamorphosis is a great thread book.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Paxlovid was nice while it lasted

https://x.com/zeynep/status/1775851011489370337?s=46&t=XyUS8LjqSBeKD9e9B1aSGg

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
“Good for high risk, worthless for everyone else” makes so little conceptual sense to me given the whole mechanism of it

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Also knowing that somehow this study will turn into “and that’s more evidence of covid being over” instead of “oh poo poo our best treatment might not work as well as we want?”

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Shiroc posted:

Also knowing that somehow this study will turn into “and that’s more evidence of covid being over” instead of “oh poo poo our best treatment might not work as well as we want?”

Yeah that's what I intended by posting, it'll be used as evidence to take it away

Speaking of which, sorry to repost myself but

icantfindaname posted:

Anyone know how to change your residential and mailing address in test2treat? Last I used it I lived in a different state, the blacked out is the old address, and I see no way to change it, and pressing the submit button I fear will send it to that address

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

https://twitter.com/BNOFeed/status/1776711232529076703

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

just to be explicit so as not to confuse any readers glancing by:

paxlovid is still hyper-effective. you should take all reasonable measures to get it if/when infected

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Without discussing the merits of this recent Pfizer study, I thought there were in fact a few reasonable studies that suggested Paxlovid lead to a significant reduction in post-infection impact. For example Al-Aly's medical record study using the VA database for example suggested a 0.7 RR for any post-COVID condition including things like stroke, embolisms etc. Of course that wasn't a double-blinded placebo control study, but that doesn't seem to be totally disqualifying. The two studies are of course measuring different things. Personally think the post-COVID infection stroke rate is more relevant than the time until you stop feeling sick, which raises the question why Pfizer didn't bother measuring it in their own study.

This reminded me that one of the strongest pieces of evidence that both post-COVID impacts exist and the incidence can be reduced via medical intervention was this placebo controlled study with Metformin. This result seemed kind of wild and unexpected and you'd think it would catalyze some treatment guidelines or even be replicated since it came out. As far as I can tell it has not.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Nocturtle posted:

Personally think the post-COVID infection stroke rate is more relevant than the time until you stop feeling sick, which raises the question why Pfizer didn't bother measuring it in their own study.

Exactly. Christ.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

my eye is twitching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The study is under powered and doesn't have the end points anyone should care about and zeynep is a loving moron