Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

I dont know posted:

Our hero punches her best friend in the the loving eye because she doesn't like his political speech. This is something the cartoonists thinks is good and that the audience should support.

I wonder what Stantis thinks about nazis being punched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
100% against.

Also, "we don't question each other's motives" is 100% code for 'you don't bring up institutional racism and how being a republican supporting republican positions is being part of it' or 'protecting female athletes is totally all I care about' or 'I'm just concerned about all these DESERT HAMSTERS getting through with a lax border, that's all, and that isn't racist at ALL by the way and' OR (etc etc etc)

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Aoi posted:

100% against.

Also, "we don't question each other's motives" is 100% code for 'you don't bring up institutional racism and how being a republican supporting republican positions is being part of it' or 'protecting female athletes is totally all I care about' or 'I'm just concerned about all these DESERT HAMSTERS getting through with a lax border, that's all, and that isn't racist at ALL by the way and' OR (etc etc etc)
When your motive is empathy and their motive is hate no poo poo they don't want to talk about it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kellies Nomination: Ugliest Cartoon

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

I dont know posted:

Our hero punches her best friend in the the loving eye because she doesn't like his political speech. This is something the cartoonists thinks is good and that the audience should support.
This one's amazing because it has to lean on the pun of "I exercised my right [hook]" because punching people is definitely not a right

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Amjad Rasmi

Clay Bennett

David M. Hitch

Dick Wright

Ed Gamble

Jeff Danziger

Jimmy Margulies

Kirk Walters

Mike Smith

Monte Wolverton

Walt Handelsman

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Kellies nomination: Worst Lable

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Kellies nomination: Worst Lable

:golfclap:

but you might also write in “worst label” so it’s searchable

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Five Year Plan posted:

:golfclap:

but you might also write in “worst label” so it’s searchable

The way the tool works, it'll parse. 250 entries left to process, btw. No thanks to the users who mass-selected 11 comics in 2 posts for the very informative "this cartoon has clowns in it" category!

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

The way the tool works, it'll parse. 250 entries left to process, btw. No thanks to the users who mass-selected 11 comics in 2 posts for the very informative "this cartoon has clowns in it" category!

Whoops! I forgot you’re the very person who runs the show. Thanks for doing it!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Glad to be of service!

(Don't worry, I won't do it again.)

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 7, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's not actually a problem, I promise you- just that a quirk of how Microplastics' tools work means we're still ironing out how to handle multiple selections made with one use of the key term- and the function to "split" (or in practice, duplicate) a selection has a max of four, so I had to do some bookkeeping to cover all of the entries.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kellies Nomination: Unforced Error

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Chris Riddell on the spectre of famine haunting Gaza – Israel claims the strikes that killed aid workers from World Central Kitchen were a mistake. But what of those left to starve?"

Sunday Telegraph:

Sunak being ‘propped up’ by 1922 committee ‘stooges’, claim MPs

Sunday Times:

Honeytrap sext scandal MP William Wragg will keep Tory whip

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Nick Anderson

Clay Bennett

Pedro Molina

Clay Jones

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Speaking of unforced errors, it's time once more for

There are not actually consequences for posting hate speech online. A good cartoon.

This is even more nonsensical than the last one! At least in that one you could torture the sentence into something the first character might maybe say.

"Israel is bad, therefore all antisemitism is fake and not worth worrying about."

I knew she'd be in here eventually! Has Glinner been in there yet? I might have to change the banner!

Remember the days when Ishida was still kind of okay with gay people? Good times.

Joke's on you, Slick, it's a reality show.

OK, so for people trying to decode this confusing mishmash of images, it might help to know that "we're back in the 1920s" is a thing people have been saying about our economy.

Pettyfest

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Technowolf posted:

Pedro Molina

I can fucks with this

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Technowolf posted:

Pedro Molina

Kellies Nomination: Overall Best

idonotlikepeas posted:

There are not actually consequences for posting hate speech online. A good cartoon.

Remember the last time Slick committed an online hate crime and was thrown into literal internet jail?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Remember the days when Ishida was still kind of okay with gay people? Good times.

Tats, keep J.R. "Bob" Dobbs' image out of your loving bullshit.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

OK, so for people trying to decode this confusing mishmash of images, it might help to know that "we're back in the 1920s" is a thing people have been saying about our economy.

Some further context, here; This last one is specifically referencing Weimar Germany, which was a... shall we say, exciting time in world history, and particular German history. The old system of the German Reich with its monarch and nobles had been dismantled and replaced by a shaky republic, which had some exceedingly permissive attitudes in the major cities, particularly Berlin, about sexuality and gender. It's during this time that Magnus Hirschfeld founds his institute for the study of sexuality, we get some of the first powerful gay rights groups and advocates, and breakthroughs in gender-affirming healthcare.

And it is, in part, through railing against this 'degeneracy', that a certain Austrian painter ends up taking supreme command of Germany and starts to implement some solutions to these issues.

Like, even in context, this one is possibly one of the absolutely vilest things Ishida has done, because not only is he drawing the parallel to today, he's also implicitly saying that it was a good thing that it happened then, and it it will be a good thing when it happens next time.

gently caress Ishida.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

That's... that's not what we meant when we told you to go gently caress yourself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TLM3101 posted:

Like, even in context, this one is possibly one of the absolutely vilest things Ishida has done, because not only is he drawing the parallel to today, he's also implicitly saying that it was a good thing that it happened then, and it it will be a good thing when it happens next time.

gently caress Ishida.
Yeah there's a whole thing in Nazi circles that "Weimar was so degenerate that Hitler had to happen, so it's their fault really" but they also think that Hitler happening was a good thing so I'm starting to think that maybe their movement is an intellectually incoherent shitheap.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

yes....?

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Even with him being a full-blown mask-off nazi for a hot minute now, it's still kinda jarring to be reminded that Ishida holds sex workers in the highest contempt. Like the image of a dolled-up trollop making a beckoning motion towards an older man obviously bothers him so deeply. He's been shouting about blood libel for so long that I almost forgot that Sinfest is fueled by his intense guilt every time he jerks off.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
It's not "inexplicable," it's actually very easy to explain: Anyone who votes for Trump is doing so out of either stupidity or out of malice, or a combination thereof.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Subsidizing the current generation because capitalism has squeezed every cent out of them with cold precision is a bad thing. Also, direct aid to US citizens from foreign powers is a thing that happens.

quote:

Why yes, it is keeping in immigrants who would like to go home and instead continue to be exploited.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Even with him being a full-blown mask-off nazi for a hot minute now, it's still kinda jarring to be reminded that Ishida holds sex workers in the highest contempt. Like the image of a dolled-up trollop making a beckoning motion towards an older man obviously bothers him so deeply. He's been shouting about blood libel for so long that I almost forgot that Sinfest is fueled by his intense guilt every time he jerks off.

Infantilizing sex workers is a common SWERF tactic; he makes them all out to be manipulated and only doing SW because of some mysterious force (at this point, mostly Jewish people) taking advantage of them. It is, I'm sure, in his mind, something Feminism-Adjacent.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

idonotlikepeas posted:

Joke's on you, Slick, it's a reality show.
He's been fully, fully mask-off for quite some time now, but every week he finds a way to be even more brazen with it. Like he's fighting to be the most comically overt, unsubtle dumbass possible.
Something about this strip is so jarring. I mean, obviously it's jarring because the punchline is "JEWS ARE DOING THIS!!! IT'S JEWS!!!", but the rare inclusion of Slick and a somewhat linear joke setup instead of vague doomsaying about LGBT people makes me flash back to reading this comic in 2004 when it was just forgettable and bland. To imagine this strip right beside all the other old ones is... I can't even find the word to describe it. I can't imagine the reaction I'd have clicking "view latest strip", after a bunch of comics about the dog and the cat musing about their owner or God putting on a silly puppet show for laughs, and immediately seeing this. It breaks something.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

War and peace by Li Min

Wrong way by Cai Meng

Tuneless by Luo Jie

Le Monde

by Plop & KanKr from France

by Dilem from Algeria
An Olympic truce?

Syndrome de La Havane : des espions russes donnent la migraine/Havana Syndrome: Russian spies are causing migraines by Rodrigo from Portugal

A study ties Russia to the "Havana Syndome"

Ben Garrison Gonna do better about this since he seems to post things strangely. Having found the "archive" I should be able to better keep on top of it.

THE TROJAN PIG: ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER TRILLION DOLLAR SPENDING BILL 03/22/2024

HEROES AND ZEROS- TAKING ON THE ARIZONA SWAMP 03/23/2024

BIDEN, THE COUNTRY MUTILATOR- HE’S GOT ELECTROLYTES 03/25/2024

BIDEN’S BRIDGE TO THE FUTURE 03/27/2024

“WHY I OUGHTA…” 03/29/2024

BIDEN LAYS AN EGG; TRANS EASTER INSANITY 03/31/2024

HAPPY EASTER FROM GRRRGRAPHICS 03/31/2024

IS FREE SPEECH TOO DANGEROUS? KEEP YOUR SAFETY ON! APRIL FOOLS DAY, 2024

Interestingly, before the dates the words 'cartoon published' are written, except for the Easter one which was just 'published'. He didn't consider it a cartoon.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Vib Rib posted:

He's been fully, fully mask-off for quite some time now, but every week he finds a way to be even more brazen with it. Like he's fighting to be the most comically overt, unsubtle dumbass possible.
Something about this strip is so jarring. I mean, obviously it's jarring because the punchline is "JEWS ARE DOING THIS!!! IT'S JEWS!!!", but the rare inclusion of Slick and a somewhat linear joke setup instead of vague doomsaying about LGBT people makes me flash back to reading this comic in 2004 when it was just forgettable and bland. To imagine this strip right beside all the other old ones is... I can't even find the word to describe it. I can't imagine the reaction I'd have clicking "view latest strip", after a bunch of comics about the dog and the cat musing about their owner or God putting on a silly puppet show for laughs, and immediately seeing this. It breaks something.

The strip from this Sunday is basically him saying "the perfidious transgenders were using the Weimar republic to suppress white people" while edging on saying "and the Nazis were good for exterminating them". I say we're maybe a week or two out from him going from being anime Stonetoss to anime Redpanels.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I mean, the latest big series/show I saw doing big about hillbillies was Duck Dinasty, and that was pretty much a celebration of rednecks as being earnest, industrious, fun and loving rich.

It was celebrated by conservatives up and down, even though, like their former best boy Dybya, the cast were mostly polo short wearing rich dudes cosplays as aw-shucks rednecks.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Interestingly, before the dates the words 'cartoon published' are written, except for the Easter one which was just 'published'. He didn't consider it a cartoon.

poo poo, I wouldn't either. That easter one looks like AI to me

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

100YrsofAttitude posted:

HEROES AND ZEROS- TAKING ON THE ARIZONA SWAMP 03/23/2024

We talk a lot about Garrison depicting his heroes as villains but it's been years since I just accepted that's because he likes villains. The man sees a guy killing another man by stepping on his head and gleefully drowning him and is like "hell yes"

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Depicted: the good guy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Handle your fleshlight responsibly. It doesn't go in your mouth.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Knight:

Zomi Frankcom is the Australian aid worker killed in Israel's attack on the World Central Kitchen convoy.

Spooner:

Foreign minister Penny Wong calls Israeli air strike on aid workers a 'deadly failure' (ABC). More specifically (and what Spooner is objecting to) Wong has been taking a harder stance on Israel, saying Australia won't accept them "brushing aside" the attack on the World Central Kitchen convoy.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

HAPPY EASTER FROM GRRRGRAPHICS 03/31/2024

Go, and I CANNOT stress this enough, gently caress yourself with a particularly pointy cactus, Garrison, and get the Lord's name out of your mouth, you vile sack of sanctimonious poo poo.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

100YrsofAttitude posted:

IS FREE SPEECH TOO DANGEROUS? KEEP YOUR SAFETY ON! APRIL FOOLS DAY, 2024

Also I guess this was an april fools gag? Like "ha ha speech is never dangerous"? Because he didn't really disprove it at all, in fact it's one of his better metaphors if read straight.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Spooner:

Foreign minister Penny Wong calls Israeli air strike on aid workers a 'deadly failure' (ABC). More specifically (and what Spooner is objecting to) Wong has been taking a harder stance on Israel, saying Australia won't accept them "brushing aside" the attack on the World Central Kitchen convoy.
Simple human mistake: Aw shoot I forgot to pick up bread from the store, that's like the whole reason I went out!!
Simple human mistake: Oh my god my mic's been unplugged this whole time! Wow no wonder
Simple human mistake: I killed multiple aid workers I had intentionally targeted in order to continue starving an ethnic group so that I could take over their land for myself. Whoopsy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Christopher Weyant

Clay Bennett

David M. Hitch

Drew Sheneman

Drew Sheneman posted:

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them…until the federal court snatches the ring and tells the Democrats to knock it off.

When Tammy Murphy declared her candidacy for the senate seat currently occupied by Bob Menendez she set off a sequence of events the thought of which, mere months ago, would have woken New Jersey’s Democratic party bosses in a cold sweat. Tammy bulldozed her way into the campaign buoyed by the support of her husband and the Democrat county bosses who control the ballot. Cue a successful court challenge from Andy Kim and in a blink the source of the party’s ability to control the ballot, the county line, is gone. At the very minimum for the primary and maybe for good. Fingers crossed.

It’s hard to overstate how big of a deal this is for Jersey politics. The county bosses were the gatekeepers. They controlled the ballot so If you wanted to run for office you had to kiss the ring. Without the ability to curate the ballot like a wine list, the bosses lose a big wet chunk of their power and candidates who were reluctant to play ball before have a chance to run for office without a fealty pledge. To me, that seems like an unequivocally positive thing, but you’ll still find some folks who denying the party the ability to force feed voter the candidate of the party’s choice will lead to chaos! Chaos I tell you! Democracy overload, mass hysteria! Every other state in the union has managed to survive without the county line, I think we can too.

If you're curious what all this is about, https://www.njpp.org/publications/report/does-the-county-line-matter-an-analysis-of-new-jerseys-2020-primary-election-results/ has a rundown of it using 2020 ballots.

Jeff Danziger

Jimmy Margulies

Pedro X. Molina

Phil Hands