Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Having to get to level 6 Sorc to get knockdown resistance for a melee pawn is kind of annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ultrachrist posted:

My pawn never got the red eyes, she was jolly the whole way through.

People keep saying this but my pawn is catching the 'blight every five seconds. How tf.

Anyway, I played around with it some more yesterday, and I am now convinced it's (almost?) impossible to cause a dragonsplosion as long as you have a full party. I rested 30+ times in Bakbattahl while the Dragonblight was circulating within my party, and nothing ever happened. They just kept passing it around to each other endlessly. What I think is happening that some people dismiss their support pawns in a panic once they realize their main pawn has the disease, which ironically means it has nowhere to jump to, leading to tragedy.

quote:

as soon as she woke up from the bed in post game, she immediately reminded me that raw materials could be used for crafting, even before playing the scripted plot line, very good

All the material-related lines are so asinine that they loop back around to being good. One of them goes "Materials? I shan't deny they have their uses". Yes, I agree, physical objects do have their uses, thank you for bravely sharing this controversial opinion.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is the Volcanic Island gear the best you can get before the postgame?

Yes, but it's identical to Sara's selection in Bakbattahl if you've completed the questline associated with her.

I think the best archer pants are also sold by the elves rather than either of these.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I used the character creator demo to save my character presets but now that I wanted to start a new game, suddenly it erased all of them and the importing doesn't even work anymore.
Very annoying.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, but it's identical to Sara's selection in Bakbattahl if you've completed the questline associated with her.

Which you can't do until you've been to Volcanic Island.

I found that there's a tier in between Volcanic and Postgame that is sold in NG+. Only seems to be Weapons and Chest Armour.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Which you can't do until you've been to Volcanic Island.

Sure. I just thought I was going to be visiting it constantly to buy new gear, but with Sara right there in Bakbattahl there's no real need.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

This mod moves all the best gear from shops into chests instead.

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/402

The way you buy 90% of your gear is pretty ridiculous so I'm definitely using it on my next playthrough.

Most of that shop gear does appear in chests or monster drops, so I assume it's on merchants so people who have made enough cash can fill out their set if they can't find the thing they want. Nevertheless, it's still the case that the actual best gear (from the Dragonforged) is only available via token exchange. And mysteriously I had almost exactly enough to buy two sets of armor and a few weapons by the time he was offering it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Phlegmish posted:

All the material-related lines are so asinine that they loop back around to being good. One of them goes "Materials? I shan't deny they have their uses". Yes, I agree, physical objects do have their uses, thank you for bravely sharing this controversial opinion.

Here I thought ballistas were fast parcel delivery devices, but thankfully my pawn informed me that actually it would be most beneficial to use these in combat.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oh hey I just noticed that there's at least a couple trophies that are mutually exclusive on a single play through. I guess I was gonna have to go through at least once more anyway, since the bridge cyclops died about two seconds after he fell in place and then decided to never respawn.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Why does (spoilers for DD1) killing the dragon break the world in the first game anyway, wasn't that what you were supposed to do?
Same deal as in this game, the dragon is an essential force of nature. There has to be a dragon, and there have to be arisens. In DD1 the cycle is just laid out a bit more clearly, dragon chooses arisen, they usually take the dragon's bargain and that's it. Always kind of saw it as a cycle of karmic adventure that's like, sustained by human endeavor, or "will" as DD2 keeps repeating. In DD1 if the arisen actually kills the dragon, that's bad and you've hosed up an essential physical process, it's like if you killed gravity. That void has to be filled, so the Senechal lures them in with promise of further adventure (the everfall) and almost always they become th next dragon. If in the unlikely event that they actually kill the Senechal well, that's also an essential physical process so they become the Senechal as a reward for being The Most Willful Person. My theory always was is if you didn't kill yourself at the end and hung out in the hereafter long enough, someone else would come along to challenge you and then you'd turn them into the dragon in continuance of the cycle.

DD2 doesn't really square with DD1's teleology because they don't really address where dragons come from and the whole thing is just a little less coherent. The dragon is still a pillar the world is built upon and drives the karmic cycle, the dragon's bargain is still a thing, but also it's fine if the dragon actually dies so long as the arisen can put their will aside and retire there with what they've been given. If they can't leave good enough alone, then that's when the system starts to collapse and the brine kicks in.

toasterwarrior posted:

My take on DD2's ending:

I love the whole debate about "friction" in games came about from this game (and Helldivers 2) because my interpretation of the Pathfinder, Dragon, Brine, and Pawns all being part of this world is that the Pathfinder is a particularly malevolent Dungeon Master using the Dragon as the big bad, the Brine as a literal boundary gating everyone to the continent, and Pawns as NPC companions to herd and ensure the Arisen (as the player of their game) does their thing. Hence their tantrum when you break the cycle. Japan has had a real cool affinity with D&D over the years and Itsuno comes from that generation of nerds who probably loved that poo poo growing up, along with Capcom itself even having history with actual D&D (Tower of Doom, Shadow over Mystara). So basically all this friction is very much by design as a sort of commentary on the game being a western fantasy adventure a la a D&D campaign.
I've always called Dragons Dogma 1 "Gary Gygax's favorite video game", because it just has intensely AD&D 1e vibes. Player hostility that's kinda justified by being just a little too interested in versimilitude, map has a kind of hexcrawl feel where everything's a day or so's travel from the main city, dungeons are big and cruel. I think you could just straight up drop Watergod's Altar into a D&D campaign. Also, beholders.

DD2 is like, the 3e version of DD with the good and bad that implies

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

wow, sorcerer of all things was sitting on 30% knockdown resist this whole time and I never noticed? I've been losing my mind at how easily you get knocked down in this game if you aren't a warrior, even wearing the ring that adds 100 knockdown resist. might have to take a detour for that. although I imagine my magic stat is pretty weak after 50 levels in mostly physical classes.

The Lone Badger posted:

Strip naked, tell your Pawns to wait somewhere, approach driver from behind and talk to him. From that point on act like a masterless pawn.

veni veni veni posted:

This quest is a fuckin mess. Take off all of your gear and approach the driver with your pawns at a distance (as the other poster said) take a ride, you will get a cutscene and wake up with the cart getting attacked the goblins. Do not equip anything or you will be found out. once you board the cart again you will reach your destination and someone will say something about how pawns "don't fight back" he will hit you. Do not hit him back.

If you gently caress these steps up you can still complete the quest but it's much more annoying and janky as gently caress.

Ok, I was trying to just follow the cart because that's the only thing in the quest log's text description and it seemed like it would be more straightforward than trying to figure out whatever the quest scripting wanted for the pawn disguise suggestion.

a bunch of these quests and NPC interactions feel like they're just guessing at what the scripting wants you to do. like the other day I did the coral snakes quest with Hugo, and when he was in jail I told him what the other coral snake said about him being a fall guy, then unlocked his jail cell right in front of the guards and ran around in there. neither him nor the guards had anything new to say or reacted to this at all. The next day I came back and the guards said he's somehow escaped! Wow! So the devs made interactions for freeing him from jail but didn't make either him or the guards react to watching you unlock the door right in front of them. everything has this confusing inconsistency to it where I can't tell whether it's not working correctly or just half finished.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Looking up how to get maister skills, is there anything I can do if (Sorcerer) I already gave books to Myrrdin before I ever even met Trysha? Had no idea she even existed until I've already given him 3/5 books. I guess including the one I need to trade to the thief village girl to get another. Will I just not learn Meteoron this playthrough?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone figured out if Arisen's age has any effect on anything?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Owl Inspector posted:

a bunch of these quests and NPC interactions feel like they're just guessing at what the scripting wants you to do. like the other day I did the coral snakes quest with Hugo, and when he was in jail I told him what the other coral snake said about him being a fall guy, then unlocked his jail cell right in front of the guards and ran around in there. neither him nor the guards had anything new to say or reacted to this at all. The next day I came back and the guards said he's somehow escaped! Wow! So the devs made interactions for freeing him from jail but didn't make either him or the guards react to watching you unlock the door right in front of them. everything has this confusing inconsistency to it where I can't tell whether it's not working correctly or just half finished.

that whole quest is just borked.

After Hugo escaped I found the Coral Snakes leader and killed him, Hugo came running after saying he was looking for revenge against him but now has no idea what to do with his life. Game didn't give me any options at that point, but I figured if I just kept playing eventually I'd find some type of job I can give him. Postgame comes and some random guard in Bakbattahl comes and tells me that Hugo and the Coral Snakes leader killed each other in a duel, even though I put that dude in the ground like 3 in game months ago.

SkeletonHero posted:

Looking up how to get maister skills, is there anything I can do if (Sorcerer) I already gave books to Myrrdin before I ever even met Trysha? Had no idea she even existed until I've already given him 3/5 books. I guess including the one I need to trade to the thief village girl to get another. Will I just not learn Meteoron this playthrough?

Dig around his house, he's keeping the books you gave him there

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Owl Inspector posted:

Ok, I was trying to just follow the cart because that's the only thing in the quest log's text description and it seemed like it would be more straightforward than trying to figure out whatever the quest scripting wanted for the pawn disguise suggestion.

It only starts moving at midnight which is really annoying. You can follow it however and the quest will work.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I got him a job as a doorman at the brothel. It's honest work.

Owl Inspector posted:

wow, sorcerer of all things was sitting on 30% knockdown resist this whole time and I never noticed? I've been losing my mind at how easily you get knocked down in this game if you aren't a warrior, even wearing the ring that adds 100 knockdown resist. might have to take a detour for that. although I imagine my magic stat is pretty weak after 50 levels in mostly physical classes.

Yeah, it seems really good. I'm tempted to get it for my Archer pawn, but I don't know if I feel like grinding six ranks in Sorcerer just for that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Owl Inspector posted:

Normally they get really mad if they see you unlock the door so you just got lucky there. Also if you bring him out of jail he reacts to you there, and the guards talk about how he escaped but don't trigger in the same way as if he'd escaped on his own or if you paid off the guard. DD2 is weird because like you say the scripting feels really fragile but, it's a lot more robust than it seems and more often than not Something is going to happen and it rights itself.

Phlegmish posted:

I got him a job as a doorman at the brothel. It's honest work.
I wasn't sure about picking this one at first because I thought I was walking into a bad ending where I'm doing sex trafficking and he becomes a prostitute. When he says as a guard I'm like, oh yeah that's definitely what I meant.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 8, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

SkeletonHero posted:

Some of those books have multiple copies around. From memory, I know I had two of Nation's Death Knell at least, though I had to rebuy the second copy from the forgery guy since I had stupidly sold it like every other spellbook. You should be able to scrounge up another book and have 3 for the other quest. And check the forgery guy's special store as he seems to resell every important item you stupidly lost/sold.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh cool, someone gave my Pawn a new set of armor and he got to keep it, I didn't know you could do that

I'll have to start giving other people my hand-me-downs!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh cool, someone gave my Pawn a new set of armor and he got to keep it, I didn't know you could do that

You get a prompt / tutorial about it if you try to unequip/change hired pawns gear. What they’re wearing goes back to their master and what you give them is gifted to them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You get a prompt / tutorial about it if you try to unequip/change hired pawns gear. What they’re wearing goes back to their master and what you give them is gifted to them.

Was that the case in DD1 as well? I don't recall fiddling with other pawn's gear or equipment

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Yes. gear works the same way on pawns in both games.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Someone gave my pawn a Confidant's Hood a while back. I'm at a level where that's unlikely to be a mistake, so that was a really nice gift.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

RBA Starblade posted:

Was that the case in DD1 as well? I don't recall fiddling with other pawn's gear or equipment

the opposite, their gear was locked in dd1

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

that whole quest is just borked.

After Hugo escaped I found the Coral Snakes leader and killed him, Hugo came running after saying he was looking for revenge against him but now has no idea what to do with his life. Game didn't give me any options at that point, but I figured if I just kept playing eventually I'd find some type of job I can give him. Postgame comes and some random guard in Bakbattahl comes and tells me that Hugo and the Coral Snakes leader killed each other in a duel, even though I put that dude in the ground like 3 in game months ago.l

lol, I also didn’t have any options to tell him there so I guess he’s going to retroactively die.

Lazlo felt kind of like salomet from DD1 in that he uniquely gets a fancy cutscene introduction playing him up as a major villain (in a game that has like 3 cutscenes total), just to instantly eat poo poo the next time you see him. but this time even without an outro cutscene like salomet had. his minions even just fade out of existence as soon as you paste him.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

are you sure? I'm pretty confident I was able to put new gear on pawns i borrowed from my friends

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

That is probably what they were going for, yeah, but a lot of it feels like it falls a bit flat, because it just doesn't really make sense narratively.
Like the last unmoored world dragon, does killing it actually reset the cycle? Why doesn't the pathfinder seem very keen on you killing that particular dragon then? Is he trying reverse psychology or something?

True end chat: That particular dragon is the pathfinder himself

Also i don't think ng+ is an actual new cycle for anyone but the player. The pawns welcoming you back are just a 4th wall break imo

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 8, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

doomfunk posted:

are you sure? I'm pretty confident I was able to put new gear on pawns i borrowed from my friends

Yeah it’s the same in both games, giving hired pawns new gear is possible but is treated as a gift

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Thundarr posted:

Oh hey I just noticed that there's at least a couple trophies that are mutually exclusive on a single play through. I guess I was gonna have to go through at least once more anyway, since the bridge cyclops died about two seconds after he fell in place and then decided to never respawn.

There's not a single bridge cyclops right? I used one as a bridge somewhere in Battahl, but I swear I saw that happen earlier too. I think you just need to knock them down near a convenient gap.

edit: I don't think your first sentence is true either.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 8, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Decided to go for the Constancy augment on my Archer pawn after all. It boosted her Knockdown Res by 121, which is nice. Hopefully it should keep her from ever getting stunlocked.

I had to choose between switching out either Endurance or Verve. Verve is underwhelming since it's just a flat +30 boost to Strength, but I do need to min-max her damage dealt since she's an Archer. Endurance boosts Stamina, which seems useful across the board at first glance, but she already has a stamina-boosting ring. I also don't think I've ever seen her run out of Stamina, despite the fact that she's always at Light instead of Very Light (as she would be for another Arisen), since I make her carry the camping kit. In the end, I decided to axe Endurance.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Phlegmish posted:

Someone on Reddit/Fextralife got hold of the numbers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DragonsDogma/comments/1bqxkj3/augments_and_their_numerical_affects_credit_to/

Subtlety makes you 15% less likely to be attacked by enemies. I put it on my Archer pawn because it just makes sense, but it doesn't make that much difference. For it to be effective I think it's best to simultaneously have a pawn with Provocation.

Other observations: Lethality is lackluster since it only provides a 5% bonus to weak point damage. Mettle is surprisingly good since it's a hefty 30% boost to Defense, which is universally useful, so I would recommend getting to rank 2 in Fighter (if you're not already) so you have access to it.

To think I grinded max rank in archer just for +10% climbing speed... No wonder it doesn't feel any better. :negative:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m maxing out all vocations on my character and my main pawn because I’m a gamer.

Except maybe trickster when I get to it that vocation looks dumb as hell.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

the opposite, their gear was locked in dd1

Nah, equipping hired pawns gifted gear to them in dd1 as well. I remember dressing up the pawn of some streamer in a dumb outfit.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
lol a lot of those augs look like poo poo, pretty funny considering how good and noticeable DD1's are. its like they're afraid of making anything particularly impactful

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

at the very least I'd hope they'd convert verve and sagacity to percents because as it stands they're worthless by the time you can get them. everything should've been cool like diligence

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

To think I grinded max rank in archer just for +10% climbing speed... No wonder it doesn't feel any better. :negative:

Yeah. I still think it's worth putting on your actual Archer pawn, since during battle they're constantly clambering up and down for no reason, and reducing the time wasted by 10% is worth it.

Sloober posted:

lol a lot of those augs look like poo poo, pretty funny considering how good and noticeable DD1's are. its like they're afraid of making anything particularly impactful

I would say Mettle is the big exception, despite the fact that you only need two ranks in Fighter to get it. Seems like a no-brainer for most builds.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I’ve been playing for a few days now and have decided that this game is Skyrim if Skyrim was actually fun.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah. I still think it's worth putting on your actual Archer pawn, since during battle they're constantly clambering up and down for no reason, and reducing the time wasted by 10% is worth it.

I would say Mettle is the big exception, despite the fact that you only need two ranks in Fighter to get it. Seems like a no-brainer for most builds.

there's absolutely some exceptions but like 90% of them being unnoticeable is Bad

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The_Rob posted:

I’ve been playing for a few days now and have decided that this game is Skyrim if Skyrim was actually fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngha7omkm2s

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ultrachrist posted:

There's not a single bridge cyclops right? I used one as a bridge somewhere in Battahl, but I swear I saw that happen earlier too. I think you just need to knock them down near a convenient gap.

edit: I don't think your first sentence is true either.

I've explored pretty much everywhere and only ever seen the one at the south end of the elf lands.

As for the first sentence there's a trophy for killing the Talos early, but also some for waking it up / doing more super bosses but it seems like that's not an option if you killed it yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ages ago for DD1 I threw together a list of the augments I saw as potentially good enough to be worth playing a class just to unlock, and the number differences are huge by comparison, like warrior and fighter were rough choices to play later on but they each had 4 really compelling augments worth picking up for other classes. 20% raw stat bonuses (which amounts to more than 20% more damage with how defense works), 10% buff to all standard attack damage, half stamina cost for monster climbing, 30% longer enchant duration, compelling stuff.

The weird thing is that DD2 does have some augs like this, just way fewer, so I don’t know whether the intent was for augs to be really minor and they screwed up making a few of them too good, or if they were meant to be as good as DD1 and they screwed up making most of them bad

quote:

Fighter:
5-Egression: Escape from grabs 50% faster
5-Sinew: +20kg extra carry weight
7-Prescience: Easier perfect blocks
8-Vehemence: +10% Strength

Strider:
5-Eminence: +30% strength while in the air (and on helm splitter/stepping stone if activated in midair)
7-Arm Strength: -50% stamina used while climbing on dudes
9-Leg Strength: Be one item burden tier lighter

Mage:
7-Perpetuation: +30% enchant duration, including mystic knight trances
9-Attunement: +10% magic attack

Warrior:
3-Ferocity: +10% strength on core skills (light/heavy attacks, climbing attacks included)
7-Temerity: Take 50% less physical damage when charging a physical skill
9-Clout: +20% strength
9-Proficiency: -25% stamina use on melee physical weapon skills

Ranger:
8-Stability: Don't get stunned every time a monster breathes

Sorcerer:
2-Emphasis: Spells do more knockdown. Might be bad, might be good for grounding bosses
7-Conservation: -15% stamina use on staff and archstaff skills
9-Acuity: +20% magic attack
9-Articulacy: -10% spellcasting time

Magick Archer:
9-Resistance: Huge resistance to non-elemental status effects

Assassin:
4-Bloodlust: +20% strength and magic attack from 9 PM to dawn
9-Autonomy: It's autonomy

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 8, 2024