Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mila kunis posted:

a communist hereditary monarchy seems like the ultimate synthesis of frosted flake thought

iirc this is Carlism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

bedpan posted:

iirc this is Carlism

it's juche

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mila kunis posted:

it's juche

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Boat Stuck posted:

Lol

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/1777819316219494857

Can't do the obvious (increase wages) without lowering shareholder returns
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_sbucbnx9J21z0lvw3.mp4

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mila kunis posted:

it's juche

i mean, they do love conventional tube artillery

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

mila kunis posted:

it's juche

They do have an effective way of dealing with Disney adults.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

bedpan posted:

iirc this is Carlism

wasn’t that the ultra reactionary monarchist movement whose pretender turned out to be a leftist so all his followers had to adopt leftist positions bc if you’re a reactionary monarchist questioning the will of the king is treason

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

mila kunis posted:

it's juche

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

mila kunis posted:

it's juche

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bar Crow posted:

lol

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Since I found out the DPRK are actually material supporters of Hamas I've been a lot more sympathetic (the only state to do so besides Iran I guess?). I'm just some dumb American for all I know Kim Ill Sung was actually the second coming of Marx/Jesus/whatever let's give juche thought a try on the continent.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
drpk rules actually. any criticism I could possibly have is via propaganda and lies. all I know for sure is that they stood up to the us and are still loving here. that rules.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Dprk ftw

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Bar Crow posted:

lmao

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

Since I found out the DPRK are actually material supporters of Hamas I've been a lot more sympathetic (the only state to do so besides Iran I guess?). I'm just some dumb American for all I know Kim Ill Sung was actually the second coming of Marx/Jesus/whatever let's give juche thought a try on the continent.

The North Korea season of Blowback made me do a 180 on it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

KomradeX posted:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
wrong thread wtf awful app

Arven has issued a correction as of 00:15 on Apr 13, 2024

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

euphronius posted:

do they still have grog rations

Nope. They have also prohibited sodomy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Weka posted:

Nope. They have also prohibited sodomy.

what about the lash?!?!? is the lash okay?!?!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'd laugh but I swore a similar oath to a piece of parchment written by insane slave owners in mercury soaked wigs.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The juche is loose

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Accordingly in 1820 de Quincey was nominated for a Professorship in Moral Philosophy at the University of Edinburgh. "

Idk if it has changed but at least now for at least some professorships anyone can make a nomination. It's not like he got the job.

Is de Quincey all that notable beyond Confessions? Would you reccomend him?

euphronius posted:

iirc Wittgenstein got a PhD by just writing the TLP

Tbf, nobody has written anything as important in the field since

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

mags posted:

drpk rules actually. any criticism I could possibly have is via propaganda and lies. all I know for sure is that they stood up to the us and are still loving here. that rules.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mags posted:

i can't think of evidence for a single bad modern claim about the country

north korea is better behaved across its entire history as a country than most european countries are now or have ever been at any time

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Weka posted:

1: godel's incompleteness theorems were 1931

2: turing's computing machinery and intelligence was 1950

3: it's a dark horse, but I'm partial to van invawgen's incompatibility of free will and determinism which was published in 1975

4: I get that people dig the tractatus but even the extremely dead and gay discipline of philosophy kept right on asking questions

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

KomradeX posted:

I needed a non sicko source on dprk history so I just started listening to this. Thanks

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

If the Empire decides to invade Iran they will probably do what their Ukrainian franchise has been doing and draft 40 year olds or whatever.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
*Checks a map*

Where would the USA even invade Iran FROM? Would they do an amphibious invasion? Paratroopers?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Pistol_Pete posted:

*Checks a map*

Where would the USA even invade Iran FROM? Would they do an amphibious invasion? Paratroopers?

invade iraq again in order to reach iran

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Boat Stuck posted:

Lol

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/1777819316219494857

Can't do the obvious (increase wages) without lowering shareholder returns

lmfao

Gripweed posted:

The difference in outcome is really very striking

China massively subsidizes green energy -> the world is flooded with cheap solar panels

The US massively subsidizes green energy -> Elon Musk becomes the richest man in the world

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Weka posted:

yeah it kind of ended western philosophy lol

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Weka posted:

Is de Quincey all that notable beyond Confessions? Would you reccomend him?

There's a whole book on his racism bordering on insanity, The Infection of Thomas De Quincey: A Psychopathology of Imperialism

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIBI2L8nfas

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
we're both very tired countries about 10 years out from sudden complete collapse so this makes sense

we can die in each others arms

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1778669924740690060

german deindustrialization status: still happening

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

french troops look much cooler

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Megamissen posted:

french troops look much cooler

the french have always had the highest cool lookingness to war winningness ratio

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

euphronius posted:

iirc Wittgenstein got a PhD by just writing the TLP

edit

yeah

Despite this fame, [wittgenstein] could not initially work at Cambridge as he did not have a degree, so he applied as an advanced undergraduate. Russell noted that his previous residency was sufficient to fulfill eligibility requirements for a PhD, and urged him to offer the Tractatus as his thesis.[207] It was examined in 1929 by Russell and Moore; at the end of the thesis defence, Wittgenstein clapped the two examiners on the shoulder and said, ‘”Don’t worry, I know you’ll never understand it.”[208] Moore wrote in the examiner’s report: “I myself consider that this is a work of genius; but, even if I am completely mistaken and it is nothing of the sort, it is well above the standard required for the Ph.D. degree.”[209] Wittgenstein was appointed as a lecturer and was made a fellow of Trinity College.

God drat, what a baller. Insulted his examiners to their faces and the examiners basically agreed that the insult was appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Oldest Man posted:

the french have always had the highest cool lookingness to war winningness ratio

France lost one war unexpectedly and the Americans run with it forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njw-g09XPmM