Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

My favourite gaming tournament story is the one guy who kept cheesing Warhammer games by keeping his entire army in reserve and then when his enemy finishes deploying, he places his army to rush whatever the weakest point in his opponent's defenses is.

So one other guy just uses the deployment phase to place infiltrators evenly spaced across the cheeser's side of the board so when the time came for him to do his rush, there were no legal places for him to place his units causing a loss by default. There's a hilarious photo of the cheeser and a referee looking through a rulebook to see if there is anything he can do while the victor just has a poo poo eating grin plastered over his face.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4TjmnoOKfg

this game owns hard

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I got back into MTG during Covid and got really competitive and into the meta and poo poo and a couple months ago I went 0-3 and dropped a big tournament and stopped playing and I realized the other day that I don’t actually care about it anymore lol.

i had a similar break with competitive but it was when i realized i wasn't having fun when i was learning kaldheim draft. seeing people talk about standard or being serious about draft does nothing for me, but i am interested in finding a chill commander group and maybe messing around with prereleases. in-person social poo poo rather than grinding to mythic on arena.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
my friend, bob sacamano, specs off meta builds all the time. He gets the guides from gamefaqs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Playing TCGs in paper versus electronically is so different, i am still not used to it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p482l_-g42M&t=9s

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Rappaport posted:

It's the history of chemistry, it's not my fault those people were freaks :colbert:

stem lords being freaks? well i never…

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
trading card games seem real neat except for the whole part about trading the cards
or even worse than having to trade/buy/sell for them, gambling on opening random card packs

it's always neat to read about funny combos or cool decks but im not touching that stuff directly, too rich for my blood

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that was one of those things that got completely hosed up by the post-covid investment boom.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that was one of those things that got completely hosed up by the post-covid investment boom.

right after covid RTO happened a then-coworker of mine sold all but one of his MtG decks off to a bunch of different grognards. dude used the proceeds bought a brand new hybrid sedan in cash and still had ten large left over

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There’s nothing that compares to the sense of joy and wonder of opening a brand new booster pack as a kid and finding something rare. I loved card games growing up but they really don’t hit the same way after elementary/middle school, when everyone just buys the cards they want and use the same types of decks. Also, yeah, it’s way too expensive.

I don’t play Magic anymore but I really felt this when I played the online Yu-Gi-Oh client. It was usually fun enough until I get to a certain rank online and then it was just the same couple decks I’ve never heard of using mechanics I barely understand to kill me excruciatingly slowly on the first turn.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

lmao

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

if you believe in magic, don't bother to choose
if it's big jug catgirls or a youtuber with booze

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NoiseAnnoys posted:

if you believe in magic, don't bother to choose
if it's big jug catgirls or a youtuber with booze

Thanks to today's modern hormone pharmacology, you don't have to choose!

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lmfao

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

my man be jumping at sniffles

CelticPredator has a new favorite as of 10:10 on Apr 14, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lmao. Can't find the video where two dudes do soyjack overreactions to Come and See in the thumbnail.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

It should be like Monster Cards where you get to make your own cards and play them. It's a free game on Steam but I don't actually know the rules for the game at all.

You can also select an mp3 to play for each card when you play them lol

This looks rad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

trading card games seem real neat except for the whole part about trading the cards
or even worse than having to trade/buy/sell for them, gambling on opening random card packs

it's always neat to read about funny combos or cool decks but im not touching that stuff directly, too rich for my blood
the MTG Arena client is pretty good for that, in that while getting a collection quickly is going to cost money, wildcards that can be used to craft any card equally are semi-frequent and packs have dupe protection past the fourth copy of rares and mythics. If you get even a few wins a day it's entirely possible to get a complete set of the current release for little investment besides time. And poo poo like Sheoldred, The Apocalypse costing 90 loving dollars in paper is meaningless when a single mythic wildcard gets you a copy in arena.

Or just play it in tabletop simulator for free, I feel like I saw someone made a functional MTG client for that

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

the MTG Arena client is pretty good for that, in that while getting a collection quickly is going to cost money, wildcards that can be used to craft any card equally are semi-frequent and packs have dupe protection past the fourth copy of rares and mythics. If you get even a few wins a day it's entirely possible to get a complete set of the current release for little investment besides time. And poo poo like Sheoldred, The Apocalypse costing 90 loving dollars in paper is meaningless when a single mythic wildcard gets you a copy in arena.

Or just play it in tabletop simulator for free, I feel like I saw someone made a functional MTG client for that

there's also cockatrice if you want to play online for free. it doesn't have a rules engine though, and the player base can be a trash fire

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
is magicworkstation still a thing? I used to mildly troll people back in the days by playing unglued/unhinged decks and making people figure out how to play rock paper scissors over the internet

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

every wed night at a local dive bar they do a commander tourney. you get one free drink if you show up and play magic whether you play in the competitive games or just dicking around with friends at a side game. winner gets a $25 bar tab.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, when I was playing the only cards I didn't have at the end of any given set were junk mythics. you do have to play every day to do that though and I just couldn't keep it up forever.

opening the paper cards was fun, though. my brother and I used to buy a box, build a bunch of decks together out of whatever we pulled, and just play for a couple of hours on the weekends.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

every wed night at a local dive bar they do a commander tourney. you get one free drink if you show up and play magic whether you play in the competitive games or just dicking around with friends at a side game. winner gets a $25 bar tab.

that's one appletini

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Every single "reaction" YouTuber is the kind of person I see sit in front of me at the movie theater and instinctively start the mental preparation for when I need to tell them to put their phone away and shut the gently caress up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cranappleberry posted:

that's one appletini

this ain't that kind of bar.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
muggle is just another word for chud

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

chuggle

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Mr. Nice! posted:

this ain't that kind of bar.

$25 espresso martinis

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

$6 pitchers of draft beer.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I can't comprehend what this is

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
the next generation's favorite way to experience cinema

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

other than arena, the best way to play magic if you're gonna spend money is probably just to learn how to draft

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Speaking of draft I started a fictional league in Out of the Park 25 to learn how to play and I am already more furious with non-existent ballplayers than I ever thought possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've only played Commander but the local shop has sealed pre release nights and I tried that a couple of times and it's probably the least fun I've ever had playing Magic