Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

I have a morbid curiosity to play 76 now but ehhhhh I'd rather just do the new vegas DLCs

After they added NPCs and quests the game got genuinely fun for what it is. Not like as a replacement for NV by any means though, but it's better than fallout 4 (not a hard thing to accomplish lol)

It's free if you have prime gaming or w/e I think too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

He's the main writer for skyrim and fallout 4 lol

lol writer

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Cowardly imo should have stuck with it. He was a soldier and did hosed up poo poo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

symbolic posted:

Take an L, brother.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

HopperUK posted:

Cowardly imo should have stuck with it. He was a soldier and did hosed up poo poo

he could just argue that he was smiling and laughing under duress

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

HopperUK posted:

he should have doubled down and included more war crimes

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
not only did he watch as that canadian man was killed hell he killed someone and he was laughing

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Spanish Manlove posted:

i keep forgetting that 76 even exists. One of the main cards in the MTG fallout thing is The Wise Mothman* and i had zero clue where the gently caress it was from so I assumed it was from one of the new vegas expansions that I never played, but probably should. It never occured to me that it could be from 76

* The deck is actually really fun and becomes a problem for everyone else very quickly

Fallout 76 has quiet a few fun new hosed up creatures

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

Fallout 76 has quiet a few fun new hosed up creatures

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
(sighs) no ones gay for fallout 76...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The moleman is one of the new ones

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there is no escape from the fortress of the moles (game freezes and then crashes) well except that

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lmao just reached the part where they suggested kids in the brotherhood of steel are trained to be incels

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The fallout show is good and no video game adaptation has ever or probably will ever capture the feel of the games as closely as it does. I liked the part where Walton Goggins complains about side quests

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cool Dad posted:

The fallout show is good and no video game adaptation has ever or probably will ever capture the feel of the games as closely as it does. I liked the part where Walton Goggins complains about side quests

he's pretty much the only thing I like in the show

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

He also created "Life of the Party" for Thief 2, and if you have a level like that in your resume you can get away with all the dumb comic-book-tier retcons you want and also probably at least one murder.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

the fallout 4 show is insanely good

It is. Enjoying the gently caress out of it. It appears to be set sometime around the events of New Vegas. The plot borrows a lot from both New Vegas and Fallout 3 while 4 is almost entirely ignored (which is a good thing). They go over the top with campy violence and it nails the vibe of the games perfectly.

E: They did have one monster from Fallout 76 apparently(?) that I hadn't seen before but we'll cut them a little slack. It's just the right mix of goofy, nihilistic and incredibly violent.

Cool Dad posted:

That line made me laugh outloud.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Apr 15, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it takes place after fallout 4, actually

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it takes place after fallout 4, actually

Which ending did they run with?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It takes place on the west coast long after the events of New Vegas, for reasons that become apparent.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Leal posted:

its fallout 4 it doesnt matter, dumbass!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Runa posted:

It takes place on the west coast long after the events of New Vegas, for reasons that become apparent.

Ahhh I have like 3 episodes left. Please don't ruin it. I assumed it had to be pre-fallout 4 because the Institute isn't around and the Enclave still exists. Also the Dogmeat stand-in is absolutely perfect. Best boy girl. I also love that they lampshade stimpacks as "magical healing devices" because that's basically what they are and no one bats an eye when giant mortal stab wounds are healed instantly.

Cool Dad posted:

Yeah 100%. It just absolutely nails the mood and I struggle to think of another game to show adaptation that did it this well (maybe the first couple seasons of The Witcher). Whoever made this show is a big fan of the games and it shows. Also lmao that Michael Rappaport demanded to have a cameo in the show because he's a fan and just ends up being Michael Rapport, poo poo talking his squire and then immediately being mauled to death by a Yao Guai

They also stay pretty true to the factions. The Brotherhood of Steel behaves exactly like it does in the games with the same motivations and same bullshit dogma. Enclave is the Enclave. Haven't run into any super mutants yet but I did see a NCR flag :3:

Also also, the CGI on the vertibirds is pretty drat solid although the power armor CGI needs work. I did like the fact that they call out that the BoS is rocking T-60 suits.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Apr 15, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they have the perfect out for enclave in the lore where there are hundreds of cells across the country after fallout 2 blew up their main base and lol fallout 76 managed to work them in even with their own older enclave and its own president who all died of covid

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they have the perfect out for enclave in the lore where there are hundreds of cells across the country after fallout 2 blew up their main base and lol fallout 76 managed to work them in even with their own older enclave and its own president who all died of covid

I thought it turned out the president of the enclave was long dead and was in fact a computer in either 2 or 3? I forget.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Frank Frank posted:

I thought it turned out the president of the enclave was long dead and was in fact a computer in either 2 or 3? I forget.

he was real in fallout 2 and then a computer replaced him in 3 and in fallout 76 which takes place long before fallout 2 the enclave cell in the applachian mountains lost contact with the oil rig because of a technical error in their vault and so the secretary of agriculture declared himself president

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Leal posted:

The blue one

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he was real in fallout 2 and then a computer replaced him in 3 and in fallout 76 which takes place long before fallout 2 the enclave cell in the applachian mountains lost contact with the oil rig because of a technical error in their vault and so the secretary of agriculture declared himself president

Yeah I never played 76. After 4 I tapped out. I figured some 76 lore might play into the show because of the gulper which I didn't recognize and had to look up. Cool monster though. Like, say what you want about the show but it is faithful to the games to a fault. If you're the type of person who likes picking out easter eggs, they throw dozens at you every few minutes. Tiny details like food brands up to hints at character origins, bobbleheads etc. Goggins' character is basically a cross between Boone from FO3 and the Vault-tec rep from FO4 with a little bit of Nick Valentine thrown in for good measure.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 04:26 on Apr 15, 2024

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Does 76 have that particular monster grow fingers in their mouths because that's some gross awesome poo poo

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Does 76 have that particular monster grow fingers in their mouths because that's some gross awesome poo poo

It does apparently. I thought they were those salamander things from FO4 until i saw inside its mouth and said "WTF". Googled it and apparently it's from 76. They are called gulpers

Blink and you'll miss it but Goggins' character mutters something about gulpers when he catches up with Lucy.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Apr 15, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
and now as you can see here the warp in the west means every ending of fallout 4 is canon

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The vault dweller is now canonically female though as is Dogmeat.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm only 3 eps in but they threw me for a bit of a loop location-wise mentioning the Commonwealth and naming the first little settlement Filly

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm only 3 eps in but they threw me for a bit of a loop location-wise mentioning the Commonwealth and naming the first little settlement Filly

Yeah I thought they were on the east coast despite the vault dweller seeing Santa Monica Pier upon emerging but I figured it might have been Atlantic City. Palm trees confirmed that they were all indeed in LA. The BoS base looks suspiciously like Nellis AFB from FO3 but there are no boomers so.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I love how dumb & silly you can make your party look in this game. Imagine rolling into town saying you're gonna save the world like

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I'm wondering what secret the decapitated scientist's head holds but since it's the Enclave and they keep talking about revitalizing the wasteland and changing the world, I gotta assume it's the G.E.C.K. and if I'm right, I'm going to nerd out so hard.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Fallout 4 sucked rear end

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Fortaleza posted:

Fallout 4 sucked rear end

It did. They don't really touch on FO4s plot at all. The nod to the water chip going bad/being destroyed makes it pretty clear where the show runners are taking their inspiration from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I played Fallout 4 for the first time last year and had a lil fun with it at first. Always cheating my punching to max dmg and having a lol, never really respecting the story/lore. Then a quest glitched with an invisible enemy and I stopped playing