Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

euphronius posted:

would tsa have even stopped the 911 crew

They caught one of them going through security in Boston, actually, but then he was waived through for reasons that are a bit unclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

Im always kind of amazed at how many fully functional and useful appliances are in my goodwill. Like 400$ bread makers that look never used

Apparently putting 5 ingredients into a bowl and hitting start is just too complicated.

I'm a book fiend myself and have found that the extended ecosystem of thriftstores in my area are absurdly better than Goodwill these days.

There's one called Unique that is the largest and most chaotic thrift store I've ever been to and another (chain?) called 2nd and Charles which is a book lover's dream

Also smaller independent shops located near colleges used to be a good spot... dunno if they still would be.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

There's one called Unique that is the largest and most chaotic thrift store I've ever been to

we have a massive Unique like that but the real unique part is it is separated with a wall to a second massive chaotic Value Village of the same size, with separate checkout registers and everything, and a flea market connecting the two in the middle, like some sort of insane thrift store chimera

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Number update: it's dying again

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

BUY THE DIP!!!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Woke Mind Virus posted:

BUY THE DIP!!!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
home depot is down even though i bought not one but TWO rakes for the back yard.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Twigand Berries posted:

lol I go through TSA three times a day (smoke breaks) five days a week and all my hate is for the flying public

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

quoting this for later

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NY state is about to cut a big fat loving check to the landlord class. Again.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

NY state is about to cut a big fat loving check to the landlord class. Again.
:blessed:

what are they doing, cutting prop taxes again?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
$DJT rug pull may have just been filed which is going to be very funny how many catch the falling knife after moon rocketing

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im going to buy the dip

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

:blessed:

what are they doing, cutting prop taxes again?

theyre raising the cap on how much rent stabilized apts can raise after a tenant leaves by hundreds / mo (a cap put in place in just 2019!!), tax breaks for developers and removing code requirements to "ease" the conversion of office space to residential.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't know why so many ppl got attached to the "Convert empty downtown offices to Housing Units for $$$" idea. It seems dumb as gently caress, requiring probably as much construction as new units and they will probably all suck rear end to live in and be stupidly overpriced cuz they're on like. Madison Ave or Wall Street.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

In Training posted:

I don't know why so many ppl got attached to the "Convert empty downtown offices to Housing Units for $$$" idea. It seems dumb as gently caress, requiring probably as much construction as new units and they will probably all suck rear end to live in and be stupidly overpriced cuz they're on like. Madison Ave or Wall Street.

It only seems dumb as gently caress to you because you're not getting a big fat check, tax write-offs, and regulatory exemptions for your great service to society of owning an empty building. If you were, you'd realize it's very smart actually.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

In Training posted:

Congo line of terrible ideas to avoid [redacted]

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

post hole digger posted:

im going to buy the dip

When there's dip, bring your chips to the table. <- saying I thought of.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

It only seems dumb as gently caress to you because you're not getting a big fat check, tax write-offs, and regulatory exemptions for your great service to society of owning an empty building. If you were, you'd realize it's very smart actually.

We got so much more poo poo like this to look forward to :allears:

sold for $442,600 btw, $655 "HOA" fees, lol https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/777-Grand-Ave-SUITE-204-San-Rafael-CA-94901/2068769551_zpid/

edit:

the full tour:
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7254923258645073195

post hole digger has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Apr 15, 2024

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Xaris posted:

$DJT rug pull may have just been filed which is going to be very funny how many catch the falling knife after moon rocketing

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/small-time-investors-trump-truth-185507366.html

quote:

Small-time investors in Trump’s Truth Social reckon with stock collapse

Jerry Dean McLain first bet on former president Donald Trump’s Truth Social two years ago, buying into the Trump company’s planned merger partner, Digital World Acquisition, at $90 a share. Over time, as the price changed, he kept buying, amassing hundreds of shares for $25,000 - pretty much his “whole nest egg,” he said.

That nest egg has lost about half its value in the past two weeks as Trump Media & Technology Group’s share price dropped from $66 after its public debut last month to $32 on Friday. But McLain, 71, who owns a tree-removal service outside Oklahoma City, said he’s not worried. If anything, he wants to buy more.

“I know good and well it’s in Trump’s hands, and he’s got plans,” he said. “I have no doubt it’s going to explode sometime.”

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

In Training posted:

Eh, depending on the type of space you can get some urban lofts/studios that aren't awful.

I imagine the cost of converting a standard New York office tower into condos or apartments must be insanely prohibitive though, replacing all the utilities alone would be back-breaking.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lmao @ small business owner acumen

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

he's not wrong, it's 100% certain that truth social will explode sometime, probably fairly soon.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Many of Truth Social’s investors say they’re in it for the long haul. Todd Schlanger, an interior designer at a furniture store in West Palm Beach who said Trump had been one of his customers, said he’s invested about $20,000 in total and is buying new shares every week.

Schlanger said he now watches his stock performance every day hoping for positive signs. In a Truth Social post last week, he encouraged “everyone who supports Donald Trump and Truth [Social to] buy a share everyday” and asked, “Do you think we have hit bottom?” (The stock slid nearly 10 percent after that post.)

He suspects the recent drops in share price have been the result of “stock manipulation” from an “organized effort” to make the company look bad. There’s no proof of such a campaign, but Schlanger is convinced. “It’s got to be political,” he said, from all the “liberals that are trying to knock it down.”

That range of emotions is on full display on Truth Social, where thousands of mostly anonymous accounts have flocked to meme-filled investor groups, one of which is emblazoned with a computer-generated image showing Trump pumping his fist on a Wall Street trading floor.

Some accounts there have recently encouraged traders to keep investing in a fight they said was about “good vs evil” - a way to defend Trump from the liberal elites laughing at him and, by extension, them. The user @BaldylocksUSMC said “the fight has been long and hard on most of us” and that “this stock is not for the weak,” but that one day they would triumph over critics who were “brainwashed beyond repair.”

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

Many of Truth Social’s investors say they’re in it for the long haul. Todd Schlanger, an interior designer at a furniture store in West Palm Beach who said Trump had been one of his customers, said he’s invested about $20,000 in total and is buying new shares every week.

Schlanger said he now watches his stock performance every day hoping for positive signs. In a Truth Social post last week, he encouraged “everyone who supports Donald Trump and Truth [Social to] buy a share everyday” and asked, “Do you think we have hit bottom?” (The stock slid nearly 10 percent after that post.)

He suspects the recent drops in share price have been the result of “stock manipulation” from an “organized effort” to make the company look bad. There’s no proof of such a campaign, but Schlanger is convinced. “It’s got to be political,” he said, from all the “liberals that are trying to knock it down.”

That range of emotions is on full display on Truth Social, where thousands of mostly anonymous accounts have flocked to meme-filled investor groups, one of which is emblazoned with a computer-generated image showing Trump pumping his fist on a Wall Street trading floor.

Some accounts there have recently encouraged traders to keep investing in a fight they said was about “good vs evil” - a way to defend Trump from the liberal elites laughing at him and, by extension, them. The user @BaldylocksUSMC said “the fight has been long and hard on most of us” and that “this stock is not for the weak,” but that one day they would triumph over critics who were “brainwashed beyond repair.”

lol and they filed a resale registration which could mean

quote:

https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/1849635/000114036124019745/ny20026576x1_s1.htm

Why would one file a resale registration? Well, on Truth Social they are eagerly sharing a quote from the Reuters article where a lawyer says "it's completely normal to put that up for your stockholders."

TS post: https://truthsocial.com/group/dwac/posts/112276002659745170

So, obviously it's not that.

**Theory**

Why else, then, would the company file a resale registration? It could be because DJT previously did a PIPE and now intends to sell his shares - aka a Private Investment in Public Equity. SEC explainer: https://www.sec.gov/info/smallbus/gbfor25_2006/pinedo_tanenbaum_pipefaq.pdf

But why would Donald Trump put MORE money into his failing business?

Answer: He's not, he's extracting his $$$ through the abuse of an otherwise common financial instrument.

FIRST - Trump agrees to purchase some large number of additional shares for a ludicrously low price.

"But blackout periods for selling PIPE shares!" > at the discretion of the issuer

"But never agree to low price / it's fraud!" > price solely agreed between investor and issuer. He could even choose a variable price, like "50% of the current value of shares."

"But PIPE shares are legended! Rule 144!" > Only before the the resale registration becomes effective, Afterwards, sell away.

"But you'd have to say something to someone!" > They just did, and afaik the only two reporting requirements are to say what shares are up for resale and who the Shareholders are (did it).

SECOND - Wait 30 days for the resale registration to complete at the SEC, using the dilution component of the S-1 as a red herring to keep people off the scent of the real scam.

THIRD - slide all those PIPE purchased, cheap rear end shares into the market all stealthy like. His other 150 million shares go to zero but (1) they only existed so he could use his control of the company to abuse PIPEs (2) zero was going to happen anyways.

**Trading hypothesis**

DJT falls faster than any institutional investor expects because Trump uses norms built into standard practices to supercharge his scams. Evidence: his entire presidency & post-presidency and all the pathetic "but norms" hand waving by the political class. No exceptions made for institutional investor class, sorry.

DJT cultists catch the falling knife as usual.

**Positions**

$3k in Puts at price points between $25 and $5 over the next 8 months

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Vox Nihili posted:

Aaaaaaaaahahahahaha get hosed you stupid prick!

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
truth social will skyrocket in November

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All those people are correct and will be WSB millionaires on January 6, 2025.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

In Training posted:

All those people are correct and will be WSB millionaires on January 6, 2025.

But only if they pay with Iraqi dinars.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

kreeningsons posted:

we have a massive Unique like that but the real unique part is it is separated with a wall to a second massive chaotic Value Village of the same size, with separate checkout registers and everything, and a flea market connecting the two in the middle, like some sort of insane thrift store chimera

yeah the one near me has a bunch of little unrelated shops in the very entrance with like perfume and what looks like a vintage game/collectibles stall

it's like as close to a bazaar/open air market as I've ever seen in the US and it's kinda cool as hell and makes me wish we had just entirely open market places like that all over

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

post hole digger posted:

im going to buy the dip

You can make your own. Nearly all homemade dip is better and cheaper than storebought unless you go the Velveeta route.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

OhFunny posted:

German industry stays losing.

The Freiberg plant closing cuts Europe's total solar panel production output by 10%.
everything going according to plan

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lol god drat there is no hope for any of us. Even retiree age Golden Bachelor can't find a wife due to working until death.

quote:

Sources with direct knowledge tell TMZ ... since Theresa has an established career as a compliance officer in New Jersey, she grappled with the idea of leaving her job behind to move to Indiana or South Carolina with Gerry.

We're told Gerry understood Theresa's dilemma and offered up an idea -- splitting their time where they would spend six weeks in Jersey and six weeks in Indiana ... but they couldn't imagine a world where they could do that and Theresa could keep her job.

Our sources say Teresa didn't want to move to a small Indiana town or South Carolina and try to find work as a 70-year-old ... especially a job she loved like the one she has.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

lol god drat there is no hope for any of us. Even retiree age Golden Bachelor can't find a wife due to working until death.

this rear end in a top hat switched to her during the fantasy suite date once he figured out how much money she made.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/MacroEdgeRes/status/1779932479282971027

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

people know that brands never gave a poo poo about any of that right?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

lmao at the way they phrased this

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oh no not the Human Resources Department

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

go woke go broke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

slave to my cravings posted:

truth social will skyrocket in November

unironically this, since the only news published by the white house will be on truth social