Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
We posting music?? My bestie just went to see these guys. Fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BQUgcDIiC8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Music chat - I've had a bit of a low key obsession with these guys for the last couple of months. The transition from comedown to lightenup (3rd and 4th songs) is absolutely :discourse:

https://youtu.be/e4TFD2PfVPw?si=c_Iq4y-mlYEg0CLA

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I sometimes form the intention of getting up to speed with modern music and fashion trends, but I'm just too old and tired to sustain it!

I'd never even heard of this dark/ light academia until it was mentioned in this thread but I've had a look and apparently it's a whole thing, for example.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Very funny to me that dark academia is a fashion trend nowadays and not just a sub genre of fantasy books.

I think probably whoever said that we're just disconnected from young people's trends because we basically live on parallel planes of existences wet media consumption is right. A friend told me yesterday that he had to use urban dictionary to understand what some kids were saying (I believe the word that tripped him up was gyatt). In the past, the uncool adults wouldn't like the way we spoke, but they at least knew what it meant. Maybe that's just because neither of us have teenagers yet.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Blur crashing and burning at Coachella is quite funny imho

https://twitter.com/strwberrynewts/status/1779517413270167869?s=46

I don't even like blur but Coachella is the ultimate hipsters festival. It's not for actual fans. It's rich kids who want to tick a box of things to do that summer. Blur aren't bombing that is just how the crowd always is.

That being said, damon should know this. He probably just hates it as much as other artists and doesn't care about not being booked again.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

of course her handbag is actually the red bag from Ideal

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I just watch Brad Taste in Music on youtube to see what's new/decent, although that skews more mainstream.
My 50yr old friend likes to rant on Whatsapp about what's being forced down his throat music-wise too, I'd never heard of The Last Dinner Party til he mentioned them a couple of months ago, but at least he saw they were a bunch of £40k a year finishing school posh kids from a mile away. The latest one is English Teacher, who aren't inherently bad, but they're also 'band John Peel would champion like gently caress for 2 months in 1992 that you'll never think of again'. And their sound production is atrocious.

100 gecs are absolutely unlistenable, first heard them on BTiM and I thought he was running it at 2x speed to avoid copyright. You can say 'yeah you don't get it because you're old' but you can be perfectly reasonable, use your ears and say 'this is dogshit and I have no idea what pleasure anyone gets from it.'

I am comforatble too at 47 finding a ton of stuff I missed from the 90s through youtube recommendation channels. Last actually new band I really liked was Bruxa Maria, and given I drummed in a previous band for the singer 15 years ago, 'new' may not apply, but they do rock hard.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
ever since 2013 when my bloody valentine released M B V, i've been searching for songs with a tone and texture as visceral as "only tomorrow" (please listen to it on loud good speakers or on headphones)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2FQ3ih0MoE

i recently started watching the JHS show (of JHS pedals) on youtube, a funny guy who goes into the history of guitar pedals of which he owns many, which is very interesting in its own right!

at the end of most episodes he does a little record recommendation related to what he's just been talking about. btw the weird link i've put here puts youtube playlists in order from oldest to newest, something which youtube itself doesn't do apparently?

https://playlist.tools/PL_cgYn-EP29bzV88BytQ0CaB_V_6GdnTI/QyvDZDYFFQY

anyway this is to say he put me on to "Secrets" by Deep Sea Diver which I bought before I even finished listening to it

https://thedeepseadiver.bandcamp.com/album/secrets-2

i go through a lot of new albums, mostly because i don't want to end up like my dad listening to the same old stuff again and again, but generally i've found your favourites are your favourites for a reason

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Miftan posted:

Very funny to me that dark academia is a fashion trend nowadays and not just a sub genre of fantasy books.

My first thought was absolutely that it was some Harry Potter-style nonsense, yes.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

And here is me pushing away the sounds of the modern era and wanting more retrowave/synth-pop.

This one is on my current regular playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRd6OZxrEsU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Dark/light academia is basically dressing either like Wesley or Giles from BtVS

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Tsietisin posted:

And here is me pushing away the sounds of the modern era and wanting more retrowave/synth-pop.

This one is on my current regular playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRd6OZxrEsU

Oh man speaking of retrowave I've been getting into the Midnight recently, continuing my theme of discovering bands the night after they've played a (apparently awesome) local show which I missed.

https://youtu.be/nB3MLX1qsVA?si=zHrer4oUjWi6q063

I was 3 when the 80s finished but its such a ridiculously concentrated nostalgia hit it makes you miss it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Nuclear Spoon posted:

ever since 2013 when my bloody valentine released M B V, i've been searching for songs with a tone and texture as visceral as "only tomorrow" (please listen to it on loud good speakers or on headphones)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2FQ3ih0MoE

i recently started watching the JHS show (of JHS pedals) on youtube, a funny guy who goes into the history of guitar pedals of which he owns many, which is very interesting in its own right!

at the end of most episodes he does a little record recommendation related to what he's just been talking about. btw the weird link i've put here puts youtube playlists in order from oldest to newest, something which youtube itself doesn't do apparently?

https://playlist.tools/PL_cgYn-EP29bzV88BytQ0CaB_V_6GdnTI/QyvDZDYFFQY

anyway this is to say he put me on to "Secrets" by Deep Sea Diver which I bought before I even finished listening to it

https://thedeepseadiver.bandcamp.com/album/secrets-2

i go through a lot of new albums, mostly because i don't want to end up like my dad listening to the same old stuff again and again, but generally i've found your favourites are your favourites for a reason

Have you seen this site (watch out it's loud if you click things, turn your volume down).

https://everynoise.com/

For instance:

https://everynoise.com/engenremap-shoegaze.html

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Also old so no hot takes on music but today what's really grinding my gears as seen in the Liz Truss vid is demonstrating your a Trained Orator by gesturing all the time with that thumb forefinger chef kiss pose which is apparently the right way to do it now. Can't unsee it everywhere etc.

Why's directly pointing rude anyway "look you, learn these points of EU law or I'll have you" seems like a good teaching technique

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

TACD posted:

of course her handbag is actually the red bag from Ideal

Actually, It's the budget bag haunting her for the rest of her days.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's still wild that we* elected a particularly dumb dog as PM and rather than damnatio memoriae that we allow her to just plod along to places to continue pissing and making GBS threads on carpets around the world, with said soiling being "news" we let other countries, including our geopolitical enemies, see.

* a bunch of senile child molesters collectively referred to as the conservative party membership

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The most impactful UK musicians of recent years are, unexpectedly, (British) Sea Power because of their work on the soundtrack of the greatest CRPG of all time, Disco Elysium.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Lately I've been listening to DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ whos last album was a 4 hour album of plunderphonic outsider house. She's anonymous but apparently from London so go British music I guess.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Still amazing that Truss gets so much media attention, and in particular gets trailed saying things like we need to abolish human rights. She was literally PM and could have done that (attempted, anyway). You had your chance in charge of the no-holds-barred legislative body and absolutely shat the bed spectacularly. Please go away.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Nuclear Spoon posted:

jazz fucks. jazz haters are incomprehensible losers

London probably has the hottest jazz scene in the world right now as there's a genuine musical fusion / overlap with London specific genres (grime, drill) and also the West African and Indian musical influences, plus a broader willingness to go outwith the bounds of trad jazz

Ezra Collective won the Mercury, plus you've got The Comet is Coming, Nubya Garcia, Nubiyan Twist, even Lucy Rose

there's some really great stuff out there if you look for it

also its absolutely laughable that fashion hasn't changed since the 2000s come on now. we are currently in the midst of a baggy jeans era, 2000s-2010s was a skinny jeans era!!!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jippa posted:

Have you seen this site (watch out it's loud if you click things, turn your volume down).

https://everynoise.com/

For instance:

https://everynoise.com/engenremap-shoegaze.html
This is a very cool site I’ve used for ages to help me assign genres to my weird music but FYI the person behind it got fired from Spotify earlier this year so I don’t think it updates anymore and at some point will probably break entirely :(

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Goldskull posted:

I am comforatble too at 47 finding a ton of stuff I missed from the 90s through youtube recommendation channels.

I know he's talented, but I didn't think 47 cared much for music beyond Ave Maria

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No that's New Spanish Catholic Girl.

Pistol_Pete posted:

My first thought was absolutely that it was some Harry Potter-style nonsense, yes.
It's more Emerald Fennell than Harry Potter I think.

But that's fine, just like teddy boys taking Edwardian suits or goths pulling from Victorian high gothic, at some point "let's dress like we're pretending we're at a pre-war Ivy League/Oxbridgeham" was going to be a thing.

Bozza posted:

The Comet is Coming, Nubya Garcia, Nubiyan Twist, even Lucy Rose
:sax:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We are not in a baggy jeans era until everyone is wearing jncos, all else is but a pale shadow

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
6Music on my commute used to be my route in to new music, but since I started subscribing to an excess of podcasts, I rarely listen these days and I'm completely oblivious to what being put out. But I am more informed about obscure topics.... (most recently the sapeurs fashion from the Congo).

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
There will (not) be adequate food https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/apr/16/uk-facing-food-shortages-and-price-rises-after-extreme-weather.

Sounds like things on track to get rougher for cost of living and for businesses. Grim stuff given how screwed many already are.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bozza posted:

London probably has the hottest jazz scene in the world right now as there's a genuine musical fusion / overlap with London specific genres (grime, drill) and also the West African and Indian musical influences, plus a broader willingness to go outwith the bounds of trad jazz

Ezra Collective won the Mercury, plus you've got The Comet is Coming, Nubya Garcia, Nubiyan Twist, even Lucy Rose

also its absolutely laughable that fashion hasn't changed since the 2000s come on now. we are currently in the midst of a baggy jeans era, 2000s-2010s was a skinny jeans era!!!

A) The first time I heard Sons of Kemet I was so excited. I can't even remember where I found out about them, I mean it must have been The Quietus because there's so few other spots, but featuring Shabaka Hutchings from The Comet Is Coming. Your Queen Is a Reptile is such a jawdropping record in a way few are. I need to get my hands on his new album, which I'm just now finding came out last Friday. Apparently Andre 3000 guests on it, playing a native Mexican drone flute, because of course when you have one of the biggest names in rap of the last 2 decades on your record he plays a drone flute

B) Baggy jeans never should have gone out of fashion. OK, doesn't have to be the JNCO jeans style but baggy jeans are good

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
That hosed up school is in the news again. :toot:

BBC News posted:

A Muslim student at a London school has lost a High Court challenge against its ban on prayer rituals.

Michaela School in Brent was taken to court by the pupil over a policy said to amount to a prayer ban.

The student at the school, founded by head teacher Katharine Birbalsingh, said the policy was discriminatory.

The secondary school previously told the High Court that allowing prayer rituals risked "undermining inclusion" between pupils.

About half the school's roughly 700 pupils are Muslim, the court previously heard.
'Happy and respectful'

Mr Justice Linden rejected the student's claim in a judgment delivered on Tuesday morning.

The case will be seen as upholding the right of non-religious schools to make their own decision about whether to set aside time and space for pupils to pray.

The free school did not respond to requests for comment but Ms Birbalsingh, a former government social mobility tsar, previously said it was a "happy and respectful" place.

In the legal action against the north-west London school's governing body, the Michaela Community Schools Trust, the student alleged that the ban on prayer rituals breached her right to freedom of religion.

The pupil, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told the court the rule had "fundamentally changed" how she felt "about being a Muslim in this country".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68731366

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Bozza posted:

These are all great. Glasgow jazz scene also currently totally banging. Recommend Corto Alto and Fergus McCreadie in particular.

forkboy84 posted:

A) The first time I heard Sons of Kemet I was so excited. I can't even remember where I found out about them, I mean it must have been The Quietus because there's so few other spots, but featuring Shabaka Hutchings from The Comet Is Coming. Your Queen Is a Reptile is such a jawdropping record in a way few are. I need to get my hands on his new album, which I'm just now finding came out last Friday. Apparently Andre 3000 guests on it, playing a native Mexican drone flute, because of course when you have one of the biggest names in rap of the last 2 decades on your record he plays a drone flute

Andre recently released a whole album of flute music. It has it's moments but overall sadly I cannot recommend. Save from the the song titles which are excellent.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 16, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

B) Baggy jeans never should have gone out of fashion. OK, doesn't have to be the JNCO jeans style but baggy jeans are good

Andre 3000 just released an entire flute album tbf, so he's kinda the biggest name in flute music atm.

Sons of Kemet and The Comet Is Coming both own, in my regular rotation along with Kamasi Washington, Portico Quartet, and a bunch of Japanese jazz.

In SoK-adjacent news I saw The Smile last month and they were good - kinda like going to a Radiohead gig where they play a setlist of songs you don't really like as much as your faves but it's still a good time.

I also just saw Mary Lattimore, an LA-based harpist who does loads of cool stuff with extended technique and loop pedals. The gig was in a Unitarian church and was pretty transcendent.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's a tough one, since I agree with the right to religious freedom, but I don't think you should be allowed to... hang on

quote:

"She herself says that, long before the prayer ritual policy was introduced, she and her friends believed that prayer was not permitted at school and she therefore made up for missed prayers when she got home."

well that erases any issue I had if she can just make up for lost time later.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Rarity posted:

If you're talking 21st century British artists with most worldwide cultural relevance then you're stuck with Ed Sheeran and Adele boyo

Mark Ronson too

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You're all overlooking the only genuine novel musical artist in 21st century Britain - LadBaby

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rarity posted:

If you're talking 21st century British artists with most worldwide cultural relevance then you're stuck with Ed Sheeran and Adele boyo

Harry Styles is huge internationally.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Dua Lipa was in Barbie. How is that not worldwide cultural relevance?

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Zalakwe posted:

These are all great. Glasgow jazz scene also currently totally banging. Recommend Corto Alto and Fergus McCreadie in particular.

good recs, got a couple of mates in the Glasgow scene (one plays with Mama Terra and a few others) and its super good

I saw Fergus McCreadie knocking out a few tunes at an open mic/jazz jam thing in the 78 on random Sunday when he was nominated for the Mercury - Glasgow is wild for this

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should be allowed to bunk off school for prayer breaks because it teaches you to bunk off work for smoke and bog breaks

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The easiest thing to do right now to look down with the youth is, finally thank god, to stop wearing awful skinny jacked up trousers in the Sunak style. Get a nice pair of faded blue 501s 90s cut and you’re gonna look cooler than all the beard dads with their chicken legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're fat then skinny jeans make you look like a skittle.