Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

polyester concept posted:

the fred armisen bit felt like it was straight out of portlandia and it kinda felt out of place for a gag in fallout, but I still laughed

I thought it was great, especially the booby traps and the “no requests” sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

neosloth posted:

Vault co being moustache twirling evil and dropping the nukes

this was a plot point in the 1998 movie script too

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Finally saw Dune 2, and I just can't help myself: is Jamis a magical negro?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

ADINSX posted:

the loving audiophile discussion about 200+ year old LPs on the tinniest speakers left was hilarious

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ADINSX posted:

that was a nice fallout bow on the whole scene

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

psiox posted:

the loving audiophile discussion about 200+ year old LPs on the tinniest speakers left was hilarious

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
crank up the mids

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

ymgve posted:

isnt vault tek dropping the nukes mentioned somewhere in the games, or am i misremembering? then again, the fallout 3 ufo dlc apparently claims aliens did it so who knows

I think it was implied yeah but it was always supposed to be ambiguous. I mostly didn’t like how the show handled it but it’s not a huge issue

ADINSX posted:

Can you give some examples? I loved fallout 1 and 2 as a kid but haven’t played them in 20 years probably, but I’m reading old docs and the vaults being social experiments (for example) goes back to the original games, it just wasn’t as big a plot point as it is now

Vault tec corp morphing from “the company that made the vaults” to “the company that controls America” is a shift I agree but what else?

Im mostly talking about shady sands being nuked. NCR is supposed to be a mostly functioning government across several cities but the show implies that one nuke sent the entire west coast back into mad max.

it makes sense though, what bethesda want from the franchise is fundamentally incompatible with fo1/2/nv having the wasteland be an already rebuilt world

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

neosloth posted:

I think it was implied yeah but it was always supposed to be ambiguous. I mostly didn’t like how the show handled it but it’s not a huge issue

Im mostly talking about shady sands being nuked. NCR is supposed to be a mostly functioning government across several cities but the show implies that one nuke sent the entire west coast back into mad max.

it makes sense though, what bethesda want from the franchise is fundamentally incompatible with fo1/2/nv having the wasteland be an already rebuilt world

oh, I didn’t mind that. I never saw the NCR as this super stable government even in fallout 2 (after all you could walk outside the city and basically do whatever, sure there was a karma system but getting into gunfights was pretty common. I could see a nuke or two wiping out that nascent government.

I’m just happy they set it in California, since most of the new games are on the east coast.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Fallout 5: Honolulu

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
really looking forward to watching Fallout as I've never played the game(s) and am basically here for the cast

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

The games are pretty fun you should try them out, my wife started playing fallout 4 just to explore the different vaults

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
open world games are basically just work

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Kernel Sanders posted:

maybe but I can't shoot fire at people at work

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
you can’t shoot fire at people at work again

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Kernel Sanders posted:

yes but as a more caring gamer from the rear end creed thread posted it’s decent work for people who don’t have other work and can put historical cares into neat packages that are appreciated by some

ubisoft is keeping historians from the bread lines making small art

if only the plots weren’t such predictable by committee dreck

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ac odyssey had like a dozen sea shanties, sung in greek, by separate choirs of both men and women

whoever had to do the research, perform, record, mix and master that stuff are all people I'd rather be getting ubi dollars than their shareholders

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yeah a friend who works as a historian got given an Xbox One and I picked up AC Unity and AC Syndicate off eBay for a pittance each and gave them over as Xmas gifts with the advice to enjoy the effort that was put into the historical Paris and London open worlds, and if you like the actual games that's all extra.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the origins/odyssey/valhalla trio have a discovery mode which is a virtual walking tour of the period and region the games are set in with tons of voice work, art, and text that only exists in that mode

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Zone One: it's a zombie book but it's "literary" (i.e., pretentious) so there's stuff like the protagonist always being referred to by both his first and last names, sometimes multiple times in one paragraph. read this book and you'll learn that society is bad, and that if you try to bring back the old world after the apocalypse, it's sort of like... a zombie! just a bad book, don't read it.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/menonfilmpod/status/1779860978886475806

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagacity posted:

Thunderbolt sucks though. it's full of that step printed effect that every HK movie apparently required after the release of Chungking Express
appreciate the heads up, but I was always gonna watch it :v:

idk if this was this particular rip or what, but the subtitles would go in and out of sync like a motherfucker, to the point where they'd be at least a second too early at times, and then be fine again

appreciate the reporter stealing the Motocompo, that was fun

the step-printing was used just so bizarrely! it makes no sense. all of the "destroy the tuning shop" set piece is done using it, which makes no goddamn sense, then he uses it in the entire middle third of the pachinko parlour fight, and then also randomly in the last third?!

also appreciate Alfred being called Jackie at least twice so far, with 30 minutes left lol

what a weird movie, and yet also 5 years before Fast & Furious! but also 5 after Days of Thunder...

edit: lol :cmon:

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 17, 2024

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

Fallout 5: Honolulu

there are several promising fallout tc mods being made but the only island one is fallout: london

i'm legitimately excited to see the work they put in. the next-gen update coming soon caused them to push back the release to ??? because fo:london was planning to release the 23rd and bethesda decided now was the time to announce their update for the 25th. the trailers have been promising, though, and it (and other tc mods) have gotten general nods from bethesda to keep on keeping on

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

there are several promising fallout tc mods being made but the only island one is fallout: london

i'm legitimately excited to see the work they put in. the next-gen update coming soon caused them to push back the release to ??? because fo:london was planning to release the 23rd and bethesda decided now was the time to announce their update for the 25th. the trailers have been promising, though, and it (and other tc mods) have gotten general nods from bethesda to keep on keeping on

It’s hard to imagine the fallout universe anywhere but America

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ADINSX posted:

It’s hard to imagine the fallout universe anywhere but America

that's part of the allure, for me. there's been chatter for ages about what happened outside NA, but afaik there's not been a concerted effort to paint that picture

that and the UK's cold war-era Protect and Survive art is used as a stand-in for vault boy and those faceless people are freaky as heck

edit: there's also fallout: miami, which isn't as far along but has solid progress and a blend of style from the mid-century there

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 17, 2024

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i watched the first fallout episode, i enjoyed it well enough. the brotherhood power armor is not that great cgi though, it looked not great.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know if this is the joke you're making but the power armor is real people in real costumes.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
I found the action of the first episode off-putting. not disturbing or anything just… boring and tedious. like we get it, they’re bad guys. just get on with the plot.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

oi! a ghoul nicked me stimpack

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Kernel Sanders posted:

I found the action of the first episode off-putting. not disturbing or anything just… boring and tedious. like we get it, they’re bad guys. just get on with the plot.

agreed

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I did like the leg getting blown off bloody mess style. the show has enough silly lols to keep me into it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

finished it tonight, its a good show. Its no Twin Peaks, but its a good show.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

same here and same take. i would gladly watch another season, but it could also stand on its own as it is

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

rotor posted:

finished it tonight, its a good show. Its no Twin Peaks, but its a good show.

twin peaks went through some weird phases so if fallout gets another series it could do worse than soaped up to all bejeezus

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Agile Vector posted:

same here and same take. i would gladly watch another season, but it could also stand on its own as it is

the fact that it's got involvement from westworld people makes me think it'd probably be best if it stopped while it's ahead, but that's okay, i'll keep watching that garbage

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

psiox posted:

the fact that it's got involvement from westworld people makes me think it'd probably be best if it stopped while it's ahead, but that's okay, i'll keep watching that garbage

there's lower pressure on them to make fallout p*~r*~e*~s*~t*~i*~g*~e like WW, so they can have fun rolling around in the campy schlock. the reveal of vault 4 being a really nice place, actually was something they would've milked for half a season on ww, but it was a two episode setup, punchline instead

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

theflyingexecutive posted:

two episode setup, punchline instead

straight from the downton abbey playbook

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Action Jacktion posted:

Zone One: it's a zombie book but it's "literary" (i.e., pretentious) so there's stuff like the protagonist always being referred to by both his first and last names, sometimes multiple times in one paragraph. read this book and you'll learn that society is bad, and that if you try to bring back the old world after the apocalypse, it's sort of like... a zombie! just a bad book, don't read it.

i liked it, but also im tired of zombies so maybe thats why

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know if this is the joke you're making but the power armor is real people in real costumes.

no way it looks like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Eeyo posted:

no way it looks like poo poo

one of the suits walked out on stage at the game awards next to the main cast

I mean, I'm sure it being flung into the distance in that one scene was cgi, but there's no way they could render a full goggins on-stage in realtime